╌>

MAGA MMA Fighter Makes a Titanic Error by Taunting His Immigrant Opponent

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  56 comments

MAGA MMA Fighter Makes a Titanic Error by Taunting His Immigrant Opponent
Colby Covington has chosen to brand himself as a Donald Trump fanatic, much to the delight of the easily flattered, gossamer-skinned POTUS. He wears MAGA gear to the octagon, and that’s just for starters. He is also known for what the MMA media has cautiously called his “culturally insensitive” comments, like when he said of Usman before the fight, “What has [Usman’s] family ever done for America beside serve in the federal penitentiary?”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Kamaru Usman was very upset by Trump-loving opponent Colby Covington's anti-immigrant bombast. He showed just how upset once the fight began.

colby-covington-donald-trump-white-house

c9fbf362-1cb8-11ea-8971-922fdc94075f_ima

covingtonmaga-1280x533.jpg

N o sport has projected politics into play quite like boxing. From Jack Johnson’s defeat of the “great white hope,” Jim Jeffries, to Muhammad Ali’s beating down opponents who wouldn’t call him by his Muslim name, this has been an arena where far larger issues have been negotiated than just who could execute a tight jab/hook combo. As Lou Moore, author of the terrific book  I Fight for a Living: Boxing and the Battle for Black Manhood , said to me, ”Boxing is two people with no supposed advantages. It’s one of the few places where the system feels truly level. Thus fans have always seen the ring and fights as contests of superiority where they can live vicariously through their fighters.”

This history was brought to life over the weekend in a high-profile Ultimate Fighting Championship mixed martial arts contest. The combatants were challenger Colby “Chaos” Covington and UFC welterweight champion Kamaru Usman, UFC’s first African-born champion.

Colby Covington has chosen to brand himself as a Donald Trump fanatic, much to the delight of the easily flattered, gossamer-skinned POTUS. He wears MAGA gear to the octagon, and that’s just for starters. He is also known for what the MMA media has cautiously called his “culturally insensitive” comments, like when he said of Usman before the fight, “What has [Usman’s] family ever done for America beside serve in the federal penitentiary?”

Before the fight, Covington posted a message of support from Trump’s two potato-headed billionaire sons, and wrote, “Thank you for all the support @donaldjtrumpjr  &  @erictrump !!! Tonight we make fighting great again!!! This one is for The Troops and The Trumps!!!” He also pledged to bring the title to the White House after his victory.

Colby’s opponent, Kamaru Usman aka the Nigerian Nightmare, was not feeling any of this. Usman is a citizen of the United States, having emigrated to this country when he was 8 years old. By the time the fight was ready to get underway, Usman had grown enraged with this circus that put his citizenship and humanity up for debate. Before the opening round, Usman threatened to “put the wrath of every immigrant in this country” on Covington. He also said the following on Joe Rogan’s MMA podcast: “Part of what this next fight symbolizes to me is the attitude that a lot of people have towards immigrants. A lot of people forget that Americans are immigrants. People are forgetting that, to where people have this attitude, ‘We’re Americans, go back to your country. Go back.’… I always heard that growing up. I always heard that. The more I research, it’s like, ‘What? What are you talking about’?”

Then came the fight itself. Sections of the crowd played their role, chanting “USA!” between rounds. Then just as Trump cheats at golf, Covington went for low blows, eye gouges, and then whining to the refs all in order to secure victory. He fought without honor. But his biggest problem was that Usman did not get the RNC script that he was supposed to lose and bow towards Covington’s white, nativist manhood. Instead, Usman shattered Covington’s jaw. This is not an exaggeration. He reduced Covington’s jawbone to the equivalent of crushed corn chips in a bag.

Covington then, shamelessly but true to his political masters, ducked out rather than face the press. Even with a mulched jaw, this is a major breach of UFC protocol and earned the derision of other fighters.

As for Usman, he spoke to the press following this controlled demolition of Colby Covington’s face. He was asked how it felt to have fans chanting “USA” at him, and Usman handled the query as easily as he handled his opponent.

“What you talking about?” said Usman. “They were chanting USA for me.” He then went on to say the following:

“Let’s be honest. I’ve said it time and time again: I’m more American than him. I am what it means to be an American. I’m an immigrant that came here and worked my ass off tirelessly to get to the top, and I’m still prevailing. So that’s what it means to be an American. It’s not necessarily just because you’re born here, you feel privileged is what it means to be an American. No. I told you none of these guys work harder than me. That’s what it means to be an American. I work my ass off, and I’m going to continue to work my ass off and obviously with good integrity. I don’t have to walk around like a punk and say these certain things that are going to abuse the whole country or abuse the whole world and talk about people and religions—things like that. I don’t have to. I’m going to walk with integrity because at the end of the day, I want everyone that’s watching me, every eye that’s on me, to look at me and say, ‘You know what, that’s what we want to be, that’s the example that we like.’ And so, I’m more American than him. So, when they were chanting ‘USA,’ you damn sure better believe that was because of me.”

I’m not sure who in the MAGA world is going to dare tell him otherwise.

Dave Zirin TWITTER Dave Zirin is the sports editor of  The Nation

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I have a feeling this loser Covington wont be invited back to the oval office. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

I have a feeling this loser Covington wont be invited back to the oval office. 

Trump only likes, like POW's that don't get captured, and Fighters who only capture the Title.

The TRUE AMERICAN won this bout, and with an elegant post fight statement, that ALL should learn from.

Yet, don't hold ones breath, as result is certain sudden death shoot outs on 5th avenue bars, allergic to peanutz

and the truth remains aloof , so take 4 pause, and scratch that itch,  as it floats like a caterpillar not supporting our so what ciety,

Bee cause it stings like A  B,  

when there are so many in this whirled, that refuse   to       C

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

Trump only likes fighters who don't get their asses handed to them.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  It Is ME    5 years ago

It's MMA ! jrSmiley_103_smiley_image.jpg

They " Provoke " each other any which way they can ........ all the friggin time.....however they can.

Apparently....you've never watched MMA !

NOT NEWS ! 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME @2    5 years ago

The loser is in photographs with the Trumps and  had visited the white house.

You can't spin your way out of this humiliation. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    5 years ago
The loser is in photographs with the Trumps and visited the white house shortly before getting his ass kicked. 

It's MMA. They taunt, chastise, demean each other, Then they beat the shit out of each other inside a fence. Some win, some lose. Big Deal. 

It's "Wrestling" on Steroids !

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.3  1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    5 years ago

OMG John - what the hell are you smoking????  Hell, I visited the WH - and Congress - and SCOTUS - and Independence Hall - and Jefferson's Memorial - and the Lincoln Memorial - and . . . . . . .  Does that mean that I'm one of your hater members???

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
2.1.4  Transyferous Rex  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.2    5 years ago

Oooo you [Deleted] are really taking this one on the chin. Covington was actually seen with the President...and his sons. The shame. Can the House amend its articles of impeachment?

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
2.1.6  Transyferous Rex  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.5    5 years ago

Come on XD, its sarcasm. Quite clearly I would have thought.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.7  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.3    5 years ago

I hope you didnt lower yourself to have your picture taken with Don Jr and in the Oval Office.

colby-covington-donald-trump-white-house-1.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

c9fbf362-1cb8-11ea-8971-922fdc94075f_image_hires_165048.jpg?itok=z_Uu4Mhc&v=1576140655

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.1    5 years ago
It's "Wrestling" on Steroids !

There's nothing choreographed about MMA so it's really nothing like faux wrestling.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.9  It Is ME  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.8    5 years ago
There's nothing choreographed about MMA so it's really nothing like faux wrestling.

Are you sure wrestling is Faux ? jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.1.10  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.9    5 years ago

Are you sure wrestling is Faux ?

Asz sure as Trumpp is

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.11  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2.1.10    5 years ago
Asz sure as Trumpp is

Are you sure ?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.12  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.9    5 years ago
Are you sure wrestling is Faux ?

"With WWE, they do their matches live weekly, and they are on the road traveling, so they don’t have time to rehearse a whole match in advance. The outcome of the match is scripted , but the moves within the match are called to their partner in the ring and/or planned a bit backstage, but it is mostly choreographed on the spot, based upon crowd reaction and a psychology of the match, which is learned. It’s sort of like storytelling between the face and the heel, and some people are better at it than others."

Then you have MMA...

"Look at how well they staged this broken leg…"

The answer to your question is "Yes!" and it's proven by the fact that Vegas won't take any bets on WWE matches.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.13  It Is ME  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.12    5 years ago

Those guys actually get hurt all the time.

That's staged ?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.14  Sparty On  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.13    5 years ago

Yes, all that blood?   Fake blood, staged blood ......

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.15  It Is ME  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.14    5 years ago

lots of Scares is everyday "Normal". jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.16  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.13    5 years ago
Those guys actually get hurt all the time. That's staged ?

And dancers gets sprains performing their choreographed routines, does that mean it's not "staged"?

Just because some meatheads get all pumped up on testosterone to whip brainless morons into a frenzy and then perform a choreographed match where the outcome is predetermined but one of the meatheads cuts a lip or gets bruised doesn't make it "real". The brains of these idiots are as small as their steroid shrunken testicles, but they're still smarter than their fans.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.17  Sparty On  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.16    5 years ago

Not a fan i guess eh?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.18  It Is ME  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.16    5 years ago
Just because some meatheads get all pumped up on testosterone to whip brainless morons into a frenzy

Trash talk in MMA.....is all about selling tickets for the next anticipated match !

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.19  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.7    5 years ago

Why is el schmucko holding up  a picture of himself?  Label the picture as Gold Belt vs Fool's Gold.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.21  cjcold  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.9    5 years ago

Sat next to Andre the Giant on a flight once. Nice guy. Good thing we had an empty seat between us. He takes up a lot of space!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.22  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.3    5 years ago

Millions have also visited those places.  But all of them and you had no personal contact with the POTUS.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2  Sparty On  replied to  It Is ME @2    5 years ago

Yeah really.  

The Ortiz v Liddell saga was great fun to watch and Tito was the king of trash talk

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Sparty On @2.2    5 years ago
The Ortiz v Liddell saga was great fun to watch and Tito was the king of trash talk

They make "Potty Mouth" seem like "Mouth Wash" the way they talk to each other!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @2.2    5 years ago

Hopefully, his jaw is now wired shut.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.2.2    5 years ago

All part of the game.   A game that made him a TON of money.

That said, his is not the only "celebrity"  jaw that one might wish was wired shut.  

Plenty of them should be.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @2.2.3    5 years ago

My list is long.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.2.4    5 years ago

And very distinguished i am sure.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @2.2.5    5 years ago

I hope so.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

These right wing Trumpster cult members have no sense of humor. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  JohnRussell @3    5 years ago

could have left off  " of humor"

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.2  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @3    5 years ago

I read your comments already ! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.2.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @3.2    5 years ago

Maybe get a fourth grader to explain them then...

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.2.2  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.2.1    5 years ago
Maybe get a fourth grader to explain them then...

Do you have the time ? jrSmiley_99_smiley_image.jpg

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.2.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @3.2.2    5 years ago

Do you have the time ?

to find a forth grader...

just check on that list, then check it again, as i'm not Meghan this Law up

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.2.4  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.2.3    5 years ago

But you promised it would be you !

I'm so Verklempt right now. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3    5 years ago

the left wing Squad has no honor.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.1  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @3.3    5 years ago

The projection is strong among the republicons.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.3.2  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @3.3.1    5 years ago
The projection is strong among the republicons. 

You've been reading my Star wars comments again.

Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery . jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.3  Texan1211  replied to  It Is ME @3.3.2    5 years ago

It's gotta be easier than coming up with original thoughts.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     5 years ago

Gotta love it. A good ass kicking took place. Seems Covington couldn't back up his big mouth. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    5 years ago
N o sport has projected politics into play quite like boxing.

The WWE (ne WWF) says "hold my beer."

1554653_orig.jpg

694940094001_6006657262001_6006651058001-vs.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

005_Iron-Sheik36--395e9e3f8e1f1b086a7e6e13ac7bba70.jpg

donald-trump-wrestling-showmanship-1.jpg?fit=788%2C460&ssl=1

ted_dibiase_vs_hunico_flag_match.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Rusev-Russian-Flag.jpg

And before you start saying it's not a sport, just . . . don't start. Don't start with me! Don't do it! I mean it! /s

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tacos! @5    5 years ago

It is exercise more than it is a sport.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.1    5 years ago

It's entertainment!

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     5 years ago

On June 22, 1938 at Madison Square Garden the greatest political match in history took place. 

Joe Louis vs Max Schmeling fight took place. All of American was glued to their radios. 

Louis, son of a black sharecropper representing America when the KKK were lynching blacks and equal was not something afforded to blacks in America. Schmeling, who had KO'd Louis two years earlier and the pride of Nazi Germany faced each other it what would become the match of century. 

As FDR told Louis, Joe we need your muscles like yours to beat Germany. 

Louis won by KO in the 1st round.

The story doesn't end with this fight. The history of Louis and Schmeling lasted 50 years as the best of friends. 

Check out the history of Louis and Schmeling.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
6.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @6    5 years ago

Man - the precision of Joe's punches is phenomenal.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.2  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @6    5 years ago

Oh to be a fly on the little Austrians wall when he found out about this one ....

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @6.2    5 years ago

I read somewhere that he ordered his SS to "take care" of Max.  He then changed his mind after realizing that it could turn people against him.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.2.2  Kavika   replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.2.1    5 years ago

Hitler sent Max to the Russian front as a paratrooper after the loss. 

Max defied Hitler on many occasions. The link I posted in the article/video is quite interesting. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7  Split Personality    5 years ago

The first eye poke by Covington was clear in the replay.

When Covington claimed an eyepoke is was not evident in the replay.

The stoppage for the low blow was questionable, just a bit below the waistline, nowhere near his groin and  did not affect Usman.

the bottom line is that Usman almost knocked CC's  lower jaw off and on several occasions Covington was reduced to

protecting his face with his left hand while trying to score points with his right hand and feet.

Covington was weighed, measured and found wanting.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8  Split Personality    5 years ago

August 2019

Colby Covington: Lawler fight cements my legacy as ‘the best welterweight in the world’

“It cements my legacy and shows I’m the best welterweight in the world. It shows I’m not just a wrestler and can strike,” he continued. “I set the record for most strikes thrown ever in a UFC fight. I’m in the record books, and that is for all weight classes. No one is ever going to beat my record of 533 strikes thrown. It shows an example. I’m the most well-rounded fighter in the world and there is not a man alive that can deal with what I can put out on the table. Very excited to share it with my team, American Top Team.”

Apparently, he has an over inflated sense of himself. It remains to be seen if he can heal from the Usman defeat and still be

as arrogant, all of the hype aside.  It is clear that he can refuse to quit after suffering a broken jaw

but I am not sure if that is an endearing quality, stupidity or pride.