╌>

Exclusive poll: Black Americans motivated by Trump to vote in 2020

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  85 comments

Exclusive poll: Black Americans motivated by Trump to vote in 2020
Black Americans' increased motivation to vote next year stems from an intense opposition to President Trump and a belief that he "has been a disaster for our country, and we need to do everything we can to vote him out," according to the survey.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A majority of black Americans are more interested in voting in the 2020 presidential election than they were in 2016, according to a national  survey  of 1200 black voters and non-voters conducted by Third Way and the Joint Center.

Why it matters:  Black voter turnout  declined  significantly in 2016 nationally and in key swing states, ultimately contributing to Hillary Clinton's loss to Donald Trump. New details from focus groups and polling suggests that the motivation to remove Trump from office is firing up black Americans to head to the polls next November.

Details:  Third Way and the Joint Center conducted nine focus groups of black voters and non-voters in and around Atlanta, Detroit and Philadelphia.

• They also commissioned a quantitative survey that goes beyond the 2020 horse race to better understand how these Americans are feeling and thinking about things like the economy, immigration and other issues central to the next election.

Black Americans' increased motivation to vote next year stems from an intense opposition to President Trump and a belief that he "has been a disaster for our country, and we need to do everything we can to vote him out," according to the survey.

• Most respondents said they believe Trump's election has emboldened people with racist views to express them publicly.
  • Their second most common motivating factor: "Voting is the best way to make my voice heard in our government," according to the survey.

By the numbers:  57% of all respondents who identified as "strong Democrats" said they're more interested in voting next year, compared to 62% of black men who identified that way.

• In 2016, more than three times as many black men voted for Trump as black women.
  • In recent months, we've seen various Democratic presidential candidates  court black male voters  in small, intimate settings as a way to understand their concerns and needs before 2020.
  • An  estimated  30 million black Americans will be eligible to vote next year.

Between the lines:  While black men share some of the same concerns as black women at the ballot box, their top issues heading into the next election are different.

• Women's top priority when thinking about the presidential election is affordable housing — something you rarely, if ever, hear from Trump's re-election pitch.
  • For black men, their top concern is health care costs — something Democrats have been hammering since before the 2018 midterms.

One cause for concern  as the president touts a strong economy as core to his re-election message: Only 22% of black Americans said their personal financial situation has gotten better over the last two years.

• That's a warning sign for Trump and Republicans who want to make their case by focusing on low unemployment rates for African Americans, as data suggests these voters aren't feeling the effects of a booming economy.
  • Among those who are employed, one in five black Americans surveyed said they are working more than one job to make ends meet.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Trump should bring Kanye West back to the oval office and try again. Or maybe his African American 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    5 years ago

Black voter turnout was at historic highs in 2008 and and 2012 for an obvious reason. 

It also went back to normal levels in 2016 for the same obvious reason.  2020 won't change their turnout much unless you run a black candidate.   I know you've got a lot of wishful thinking going on there John but i wouldn't count on it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @2    5 years ago

Obviously you missed the point. 

finepeople.png

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    5 years ago
Obviously you missed the point. 

Obviously i didn't but then again i'm not blinded by rage and hatred towards the man.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.1    5 years ago

Please find another punch line. That one is meaningless drivel and not worthy of appearing on NT. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.2    5 years ago

I know John, the truth can hurt but it will set you free .....

user image
Freshman Silent
3      5 years ago

Everyone who says Trump has been a disaster for our country, can never, ever name one reason why. Sad

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  @3    5 years ago
  • Most respondents said they believe Trump's election has emboldened people with racist views to express them publicly.

Sounds pretty specific to me. 

user image
Freshman Silent
3.1.1    replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    5 years ago
said they believe

Oh yea that's proof of a disaster. Hyperbole is not good for anybody.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  @3.1.1    5 years ago

I suppose you think that YOUR belief in him, or that the fact that he has cracked 40% in approval polls is proof he is not a disaster. 

user image
Freshman Silent
3.1.3    replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    5 years ago

Let me give you an example of racial politics causing a "disaster".

Aftermath of baltimore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJm3KAMyPWU

Aftermath of Ferguson

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/ferguson-protesters-riot-in-aftermath-of-grand-jury-decision/

Obama built those disasters.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  @3.1.3    5 years ago

I hope you can control your emotions about race better than you did the last time. I have my doubts. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  @3.1.3    5 years ago
Obama built those disasters.

How did Obama cause Baltimore? What cause Baltimore was bad policing practices and a crap mayor who did nothing. Do you know how many college kids had "rough rides"? My kids when to Johns Hopkins and the problem was huge. 

user image
Freshman Silent
3.1.6    replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.4    5 years ago

I just think it's funny how they are conditioned to think. I mean, Trump lowers unemployment for blacks to all time low and he is a bad guy, Obama inspires them to burn their own neighborhood while black participation in food stamps hits all time highs, but he's the good guy?

https://onenewsnow.com/business/2019/12/16/almost-6m-off-food-stamps-after-all-time-high-under-obama

user image
Freshman Silent
3.1.7    replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.5    5 years ago

Obama fed the animosity towards the police force enabling the black grievance crowd. Funny how we don't hear much about that now that Obama isn't President, isn't it?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.5    5 years ago

Baltimore cops stopped policing when they got thrown under the bus.  Check the murder rate before and after the riot.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.10  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  @3.1.6    5 years ago

I know what Obama's problem was. He didnt have his own personal "African American" that traveled around with him to campaign stops, like Trump did. 

About Baltimore, ...Trump has been boasting for 3 or 4 years that he was going to straighten out the violence problems in inner cities like Baltimore ,Chicago, and others. I think he has talked about sending in the National Guard or US Marshals. 

Never happened. Maybe he's been too busy retweeting white supremacists and conspiracy theorists. Oh well. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.11  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  @3.1.7    5 years ago

I'm not one of Obama's biggest fans but please tell me, how did he do that? Do you think the crowd consulted with him before the riot broke out, or they heard the news and took to the street?

Baltimore was a tinderbox waiting to happen. The tension was there constantly with the locals. Their mayor was voted in for change and instead did nothing, including not bring the police out in force when the riots broke out. My kids were held up in the campus apartments and could see everything going down. Not a cop in sight. Only the campus police. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    5 years ago

Loki,

Believe me, no one in those riots were listening to Obama. Those riots were years in the making. We attended townhall meetings since we were very concerned about our daughters going to school there, and they were mad at the police and the mayor. That is when we found out that the police were doing it to the college kids, too. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.17  bugsy  replied to    4 years ago
That's not true.

Actually, it kinda has. Just listen to liberals when a minority comes out in favor of Trump or Republicans.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1.21  katrix  replied to  Kathleen @3.1.18    4 years ago

I still go to Baltimore for concerts sometimes, but I don't go wandering around.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
3.1.22  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  @3.1.7    4 years ago
Funny how we don't hear much about that now that Obama isn't President, isn't it?

one of the first things sessions did was end  " third party settlements

" which funded the lefts bs under obama

Under the last Administration, the Department repeatedly required settling parties to pay settlement funds to third party community organizations that were not directly involved in the litigation or harmed by the defendant’s conduct.  Pursuant to the Attorney General’s memorandum, this practice will immediately stop.

so yepp... obama funded the lefts riots.  straight out of the communist playbook. making obama and his admin the biggest pile of shit to ever occupy the whitehouse.

lib50
Professor Silent
3.2  lib50  replied to  @3    5 years ago

He has totally taken us from a leader of the free world to a satellite of Russia.  His constant lying and ignorance (that he acts upon) render us untrustworthy and irresponsible, a country that can't be counted on.  He exploded the deficit for that tax cut to the top.  His trade wars and tariffs have cost both the farmers their markets and consumers their money (we pay the tariffs).  His hate filled rants have encouraged more violence against minorities.  His continuous attempts to make money off the office continue to this day.  Using Trump properties to make more money for himself.  The fucker doesn't even read any briefs, its all about him, not the country. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  lib50 @3.2    5 years ago
He has totally taken us from a leader of the free world to a satellite of Russia.

Lol, talk about drivel.   Sadly, i'm sure you really believe that .... which is damn scary for you.

user image
Freshman Silent
3.2.2    replied to  Sparty On @3.2.1    5 years ago

When people open with crap like that, it makes everything behind it stink......

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  lib50 @3.2    5 years ago

lib50, how dare you tell the truth about President* Trump !

Now you will be told you are obsessed with him and hate him and you will get a lot of pointless, contentless, drivelish defenses of him. Now you went and did it !

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.5  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to    5 years ago
Allowed Putin to interfere in our elections and told cyber to stand down.

Non stop hilarity. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.11  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to    5 years ago
As Obama and his top policymakers saw it, they were stuck with several dilemmas. Inform the public about the Russian attack without triggering widespread unease about the election system. Be pro‑active without coming across as partisan and bolstering Trump’s claim the election was a sham. Prevent Putin from further cyber aggression without prompting him to do more. “This was one of the most complex and challenging issues I dealt with in government,” Avril Haines, the NSC’s No. 2 official, who oversaw the deputies meetings, later remarked.
The principals asked the Treasury Department to craft a list of far‑reaching economic sanctions. Officials at the State Department began working up diplomatic penalties. And the White House pushed the IC to develop more intelligence on the Russian operation so Obama and his aides could consider whether to publicly call out Moscow.

-

In early September, during the G-20 summit in Hangzhou, China, the president privately confronted Putin in what a senior White House official described as a “candid” and “blunt” talk. The president informed his aides he had delivered the message he and his advisers had crafted: We know what you’re doing. If you don’t cut it out, we will impose onerous and unprecedented penalties. One senior U.S. government official briefed on the meeting was told the president said to Putin, in effect: “You f*** with us over the election and we’ll crash your economy.”

But Putin simply denied everything to Obama — and, as he had done before, blamed the U.S. for interfering in Russian politics. And if Obama was tough in private, publicly he played the statesman. Asked at a post-summit news conference about Russia’s hacking of the election, the president spoke in generalities — and insisted the United States did not want a blowup over the issue. “We’ve had problems with cyber-intrusions from Russia in the past, from other counties in the past,” he said. “Our goal is not to suddenly, in the cyber arena, duplicate a cycle escalation that we saw when it comes other arms races in the past, but rather to start instituting some norms so that everybody’s acting responsibility.”

I think the Obama administration should have been tougher with Russia, but they had a strategy and part of it was based on wanting to be fair to Trump. For Obama to openly confront Putin during the election campaign would have inevitable led to public knowledge that the Trump campaign was being investigated by the FBI. 

Loki, what has Trump ever said about Russia interfering in the election and what has he said about preventing foreign interference in 2020?  The only thing I can recall him doing is that he told a tv interview he would accept help from foreign countries , and then later, on July 25 2019 , he did demand such help . 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.15  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to    5 years ago

I read both the articles you linked. You misrepresented what they say. 

I will ask you again, when has Trump said that Russia meddled with the election in 2016 , and did so to help him?

When has Trump offered a plan to prevent any foreign meddling in 2020? Has he publicly warned Russia not to meddle?  I dont recall seeing that. 

The mistake that Obama made was assuming that Clinton was going to win in 2016 and a lot of the "punishment" towards Russia was going to be left to the next administration to do after the 2016 election was over. What Obama didnt anticipate was that Trump would win and do nothing to prevent the interference in the future. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.19  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to    5 years ago

You try to make it sound sinister.  Too many visits to conspiracy sites probably. The Obama administration did not want to escalate a confrontation with Russia at that time because they feared it would become public and be seen as trying to help Clinton. It is right there in the article. The mistake that Obama made was assuming Hillary would win and deal with Russia in the next administration. 

Last chance - when has Trump acknowledged that Russia helped him win and made plans to prevent it from happening again in 2020?  I havent heard any of that yet. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.21  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.3    5 years ago

Spin baby spin, fake news inferno, spin baby spin!

To this tune:

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.2.22  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.19    5 years ago
when has Trump acknowledged that Russia helped him win

"I had nothing to do with Russia helping me to get elected.” - Donald J Trump

Even Trump has a hard time keeping up the bullshit narrative the GOP is trying to maintain that Russia didn't actually help Trump and it was really Ukraine helping Hillary. It's really sad to see so many willfully blind themselves so as to not see the facts. It's also funny that on the one occasion Trump actually may have told the truth, the Republicans proclaim he "misspoke" or was "misinterpreted". It's not like there's really any mystery here, we already heard it from the dirty nags mouth.

“President Putin, did you want President Trump to win the election and did you direct any of your officials to help him do that?” - reporter

“Yes, I did. Yes, I did. Because he talked about bringing the U.S.–Russia relationship back to normal.” - tiny man who has to cheat at hockey to feel good about himself "Vladimir the Weak".

The sad thing is Putin is such a sniveling weakling he has to send out hit squads to murder his dissenters, journalists, opposing politicians and defectors instead of just being a better politician and building the peoples trust and admiration, yet our bumbling moron of a President got totally played by him.

lib50
Professor Silent
3.2.24  lib50  replied to    5 years ago

V5CMSFET5JFSRHRVFJ36BAGTII.jpg

Nope, due to Trump and the gop.

When you take into account how the economy is doing it shows that President Trump’s budget deficits as a percentage of GDP will exceed any other President’s during a time of economic expansion. From the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget or CFRB, the chart’s blue line shows the deficit as a percentage of GDP. At the projected 4.6% for fiscal 2019 it will the be largest in a non-recession year and is expected to stay above this level in the future.

And the red line shows that it will only be worse if the 2017 tax cuts that are scheduled to expire for individuals and the increased 2018 discretionary spending caps are extended.

lib50
Professor Silent
3.2.26  lib50  replied to    5 years ago

PIck a damn link to a spreadsheet. 

I know Trumpers now want to cut SS and Medicare and other programs that help the average American (as opposed to those tax cuts to the top being revoked).  How about cutting wars?  Subsidies to all the biggest corporations (who get the most spoils over the mom and pops)?  Cut congressional salaries and benefits.  Cut all the money going to Trump properties for his never ending golf trips.  Cut the freaking tax cuts that don't help the majority of Americans.  Stop trying to privatize everything so the rich get an even larger percentage of our gdp and its gains.  I know we can cut a lot of waste, but not on OUR backs again.  Start with the money going to private companies in the defense and healthcare areas to start. And I'm not talking about the Obamacare subsidies that help average Americans.  Healthcare is a complicated subject on its own and has to be discussed in the macro sense.

lib50
Professor Silent
3.2.33  lib50  replied to    5 years ago

I specifically said its too complicated to talk about in this seed, and your insults say more about you than anything else.  I've got a degree in Business Admin/Finance so maybe you can take your own advice.  I've also lived under national healthcare in two other countries and know the total bullshit the gop have been pushing for over a decade.  Evidently you do too.

lib50
Professor Silent
3.2.35  lib50  replied to    5 years ago

I give zero fucks if you believe me, I know what I have, I got it when I was 26 and had gotten married and decided to go back to school after my initial AA degree.  My degree IS a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration with a finance option.  You believe a pathological liar.   You don't even know what subsidies I'm talking about and this is not the place to have that in depth discussion.  Take a spelling class before you insult me again.  And we can talk healthcare on a seed about that subject, so study up.  Gop propaganda won't help.

lib50
Professor Silent
3.2.36  lib50  replied to    5 years ago

Piss off with your insults. [Deleted]

lib50
Professor Silent
3.2.38  lib50  replied to    4 years ago

Well a couple of econ classes would go a long way with that English class.  

By the way,  I got my degree back when Reagan's trickle down economics was just being implemented and have had a clear view of the results over the following decades.  I did a paper on it because I didn't believe it would work the way they said it would.  Wasn't called Reaganomics yet. 

You don't even read most of the posts, you just knee jerk insult a majority of the time.  No facts, just constant regurgitation of Trump lies and propaganda and personal insults.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.42  Texan1211  replied to    4 years ago

Hey! [Deleted

I linked to that same page when some tried to say Trump has record "deficit spending" and they simply refuse to even look at it!

[Folks, this discussion is getting way too personal.  Dial it back, please.]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.45  Texan1211  replied to    4 years ago

Amen!

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

lib50
Professor Silent
3.2.46  lib50  replied to    4 years ago

You know, I just read another insult from you, thinking you are correcting me.  And you get a big [deleted.]   I dumb things down for Trumpers with every post for a reason.