╌>

Iraq Protesters Break Into U.S. Embassy Compound in Baghdad

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  5 years ago  •  94 comments

By:   Falih Hassan and Ben Hubbard

Iraq Protesters Break Into U.S. Embassy Compound in Baghdad

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

BAGHDAD — Protesters broke into the heavily guarded compound of the United States Embassy in Baghdad on Tuesday and lit fires inside to express their anger over   American airstrikes   that killed 24 members of an Iranian-backed militia over the weekend.

Chanting “Death to America!” thousands of protesters and militia members demonstrated outside the embassy compound, throwing rocks, shattering surveillance cameras, covering the walls with graffiti and demanding that the United States withdraw its forces from Iraq.

The American airstrikes on Sunday were in response to an Iraqi militia attack, but they have resulted in the most serious political crisis in years for the United States in Iraq, stoking anti-Americanism and handing an advantage to Iran in its competition for influence in the country.
The airstrikes targeted an Iranian-backed Iraqi militia, Kataib Hezbollah, which the United States accused of carrying out a  missile attack on an Iraqi military base  that killed an American contractor and wounded American and Iraqi service members. A spokesman for the militia denied involvement in the attack.
But the size of the American response — five strikes in Iraq and Syria that killed two dozen fighters and wounded dozens of others — prompted condemnation from across the political spectrum and accusations that the United States had violated Iraqi sovereignty.

President Trump quickly blamed Iran for both the death of the American contractor and the storming of the embassy, which he described as “an attack,” adding that the Iraqi government shared responsibility for the compound’s safety.

“Iran killed an American contractor, wounding many. We strongly responded, and always will,” he   wrote on Twitter . “Now Iran is orchestrating an attack on the U.S. Embassy in Iraq. They will be held fully responsible. In addition, we expect Iraq to use its forces to protect the Embassy, and so notified!”

Thousands of protesters marched into Baghdad’s heavily guarded Green Zone on Tuesday after prayer services for the militia fighters killed in the American strikes. While few of them were armed, many were members of Kataib Hezbollah and other groups that are technically overseen by the Iraqi military. The militia is separate from the Hezbollah movement in Lebanon, although both groups are backed by Iran and oppose the United States.

At the United States Embassy, protesters broke security cameras, covered the compound walls with anti-American graffiti and lit a guardhouse on fire. After breaking open a compound entrance, dozens of men entered and lit more fires inside while embassy security guards fired tear gas.

The demonstrators did not break into the embassy buildings, but their ability to storm the most heavily guarded zone in Baghdad prompted speculation that they had received at least tacit permission from Iraqi security officials sympathetic to their demands.

The men eventually left the embassy compound, and Iraqi police and military personnel arrived at the scene, although they did not disperse the protesters outside.

The Iraqi interior minister, Yassin al-Yasiri, said in an interview near the embassy that American attacks on an Iraqi militia had invited trouble.

“These are the dangerous ramifications of this strike,” he said. “What happened today is the danger that we were afraid of, and that the Americans should have been afraid of.”

Mr. al-Yasiri said he had coordinated with the Iraqi military and the militias to ensure the embassy’s safety and request that the militia members leave the compound.

While the protesters carried the flags of Iraq and a range of militia groups, the most prominent was that of Kataib Hezbollah, the group targeted by the United States.

A spokesman for Kataib Hezbollah, Mohammed Muhi, said his group intended to erect tents in the street in front of the United States Embassy for an opened-ended sit-in to pressure the Americans to leave Iraq.

“We will not leave these tents until the embassy and the ambassador leave Iraq,” Mr. Muhi said.

The upheaval comes at a critical time for Iraq and for the United States’ role in the country. Mass protests in recent months against poor governance have weakened the government and underscored the criticism of   Iraqis who feel that Iran has too much sway   over the country’s politics.

At the same time, Iran and the United States have been competing for political influence in the aftermath of the battle against the Islamic State, which once covered large areas of Iraq.

Iraqi militias, known as the Popular Mobilization Forces, formed in part to help fight the Islamic State in tandem with the national security forces, a battle that effectively put them on the side of the United States.

They have since evolved into a powerful military and political force with a significant bloc in Parliament. Some of the militias are backed by Iran and use their power to help advance its interests in Iraq.

The United States has about 5,000 troops in Iraq in addition to an unclear number of civilian contractors. The troops are tasked with training Iraqi security forces and helping to prevent a jihadist resurgence.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

Sanctions have really hurt the Islamist radical regime in Iran. They are provoking the US to action, looking to put the President in a dangerous spot with the 2020 election less than a year away. The President needs to respond carefully, yet appropriately until after the election. Then I hope he hits them hard.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.1  KDMichigan  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    4 years ago

Are you sure the attack on the Embassy wasn't caused by the Innocence of Muslims video?

I wonder what the new class of Neocon Proglibs would suggest we do?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  KDMichigan @1.1    4 years ago
Are you sure the attack on the Embassy wasn't caused by the Innocence of Muslims video?

We aren't so worried about offending Islamist radicals these days. BTW I have spoken to an Iranian woman on twitter who openly opposes the regime there. What courage!

I wonder what the new class of Neocon Proglibs would suggest we do?

With them whatever this President does is wrong.

Aside from them:
The Europeans and Japan want us there to protect their interests. They need the oil. Many of the nations in the middle east want us there because they fear Iran. Israel wants us there as an honest arbiter. The UN wants us there for humanitarian reasons. Some national security advisers want us there to keep a lid on terrorism and to keep the battle there rather than here. The quandary for the last two controversial presidents has been how to get out?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

Iran's getting desperate.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3  Ronin2    5 years ago

One question. WTF are we still doing in Iraq?

Their Shia government is loyal to Iran. We don't have the balls to back the Iraqi Sunnis and Kurds to divide the country up and break Iran's line to Syria.

ISIS/ISIL is no longer a military threat in Iraq or Syria. We will never completely wipe out their terrorist or guerrilla cells. I was against Obama reinserting US troops into Iraq to save the Iraqi government. Not just that but we paid for the Iraqi military to be rebuilt and retrained twice!

Enough is enough. I know Trump wants to stand against Iran; but it will cost far less to back the Iraqi Sunnis and Kurds to drive a ground wedge in between Iran & Syria. 

Are we waiting for the Iraqi government to formally tell us to get out like the Syrian government has? Will we defy them in the same way and risk war throughout the ME?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

"The attack on the U.S. embassy in Baghdad is straight from Iran's playbook in 1979. It's a sign of Iranian control over Shia militia groups, not a sign of Iraqi anti-Americanism. We must protect our citizens from Iranian belligerence."......John Bolton

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    4 years ago

Bolton is definitely a Hawk but he's spot on with this one.

Spot on!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6  seeder  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

This Just In:

"The U.S. military is sending additional forces to the U.S. Embassy compound in Baghdad after demonstrators breached the gates and set fire to the property Tuesday.

“We have taken appropriate force protection actions to ensure the safety of American citizens, military personnel and diplomats in country, and to ensure our right of self-defense,” Defense Secretary  Mark Esper  said in a statement Tuesday.

Multiple reports say about 100 Marines who are already in the region will be sent to the compound. Additionally, two U.S. AH-64 Apache helicopters flew over the embassy in a show of force, according to reports."

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

We just bombed the shit out of them.  Retaliation is a given.

Dulay
Professor Expert
7.2  Dulay  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7    5 years ago

One would think that they would have given the order to bolster the Marine contingent at the same time they gave the order for the strike. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Dulay @7.2    4 years ago

That would only occur to someone like Mathis, Kelly or McMaster...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  Split Personality @7.2.1    4 years ago
'That would only occur to someone like Mathis, Kelly or McMaster'

Who of course he wouldn't consult because the shitstain in chief knows more than anybody about anything.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8  seeder  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

US readies 4K troops for deployment after US Embassy attack in Iraq

S-jnKEgP?format=jpg&name=small

https://nypost.com/2019/12/31/us-readies-4k-troops-for-deployment-after-us-embassy-attack-in-iraq/?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Vic Eldred @8    4 years ago

Sorry kids. Have fun sitting in the desert hoping you don't get blown up on some random ass day for no fucking reason. Welcome to 21st century American wars from a fellow vet. Crazy to think my last tour was 12 years ago and we are still there.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Thrawn 31 @8.1    4 years ago

I welcome other Vets who would like to respond to that comment.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
8.1.2  lady in black  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.1    4 years ago

Not a vet but know someone that is there 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  lady in black @8.1.2    4 years ago

I'd like to know the feelings of other Vets who served in those middle eastern wars.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
8.1.4  lady in black  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.3    4 years ago

As a Gold Star Mom, I can tell you yes my son enlisted by his own free will, but if Bush never went there my son would be alive.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Thrawn 31 @8.1    4 years ago

I was Desert Storm and did 23 yrs total.  I also thought that we would no longer be there by now.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
8.1.7  Ronin2  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.1.6    4 years ago

Unfortunately when our military sets foot in a country we find it next to impossible to ever leave.

Iraq has oil that our allies need. So long as that is the case we will be there. Unfortunately it seems to be the tail wagging the dog, with our allies expecting the US to do the heavy lifting protecting their interests.

Not sure what Afghanistan has? They awarded most of their mineral developmental contracts to China. I am sure someone will say to prevent the Taliban, Al-Qaeda, and ISIS/ISIL from returning- but to stop that would mean operations in Pakistan. We aren't willing to go their, so we are fighting a losing war backing a weak, corrupt Afghani government. Even if the Taliban resume control of the country they will be facing the same warlords, and rebels they had before. We should let them come in and escalate our drone, and missile bombing runs. Whack a terrorist has to be cheaper, and more effective than our failed nation building experiment.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
8.1.8  Ronin2  replied to  lady in black @8.1.4    4 years ago

Sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately, we seem to think it is our mission to spread democracy everywhere. Even into places it will not work, and puts entities in charge that will be against US interests.

We should have kept the containment of Iraq going. It was working, and might have eventually lead to a successful partition of the country along ethnic/religious lines.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
8.1.9  katrix  replied to  Ronin2 @8.1.8    4 years ago
Unfortunately, we seem to think it is our mission to spread democracy everywhere. Even into places it will not work

Tribal nations are never going to accept democracy. Their tribal ties will always be stronger than those to some country the UK arbitrarily formed out of a bunch of enemy tribes.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
8.1.11  1stwarrior  replied to    4 years ago

MUVA - try doing some research of your own.  27 tribes, at a minimum , formed the UK.

Native Tribes of Britain

d8b7c554fa6797bc733d185e4a20d07025e8ae54.gif

This map shows the approximate location of the major tribes who lived in Britain at the time of the Roman Conquest of Britain in the First Century AD. The sole source for the existence and location of these tribes are Roman writers who visited Britain.

One of the best observers of the tribes of Celtic Britain was Tacitus who wrote on historical events in Britain. Another was a Roman geographer called Ptolemy who wrote a description of Britain, listing the names of the many British tribes.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
8.1.12  katrix  replied to    4 years ago

I'm talking about the Middle Eastern nations that were assembled out of warring tribes by Britain. Expecting them to act as a single nation - not gonna happen.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
8.1.14  katrix  replied to  1stwarrior @8.1.11    4 years ago

Well, that's a very good point! I wasn't talking about the UK, but rather the Middle Eastern tribes - but the UK history is fascinating. Too bad the UK tribes didn't leave written records, so all we have is the Roman writings about those people.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.16  Tessylo  replied to    4 years ago

No, there was never a reason to go there in the first place.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.17  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @8.1.16    4 years ago
No, there was never a reason to go there in the first place.  

The CIA said they were working on weapons of mass destruction.

You mean the CIA was wrong?

You mean Judith Miller & her sources at the New York Times were wrong?

I guess they can't be trusted.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.2  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @8    4 years ago

C5A Galaxy... memories.

Tell me again how only Mr. Trump can extract us from the ME?

Is this not following the pattern of his predecessors?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @8.2    4 years ago
Tell me again how only Mr. Trump can extract us from the ME?

You tell me? What adviser is telling him that a pullout is a good idea. Remember when he wanted out of Syria? Mattis quit!  I don't recall seeing one individual here saying that Trump was right or that Mattis was wrong.

Is this not following the pattern of his predecessors?

His immediate predecessor, the radical Barak Obama had the same problem. He wanted out and just like now, there was always a perfectly timed crisis to keep us right there.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9  seeder  Vic Eldred    4 years ago

Last Updated Dec 31, 2019 7:28 PM EST

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called the Tuesday   attack on the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad   "state-sponsored terror" in an interview with CBS News. But he emphasized that the embassy is "safe" and that the U.S. "never contemplated" evacuating the facility. 

"This is state-sponsored terror, this is Iranian-backed terrorism that took place," Pompeo told CBS News' Major Garrett in his first broadcast interview since the attack. 

The interview comes after an estimated 6,000 protesters gathered at the embassy on Tuesday, raging against U.S. airstrikes earlier in the week that killed 25 fighters from an  Iran-backed Shiite militia in Iraq . The U.S. strikes were an act of retaliation for the killing of an American contractor working at an Iraqi military base who died in a rocket attack last week.

The protesters yelled "Down, Down USA!," and several dozen managed to get into what a senior U.S. official described to CBS News as a reception area just outside the compound.

"The embassy is being monitored, it's safe," Pompeo said. "The actions that we took today were prudent ... Under President Trump's direction, our team worked together today to quickly, decisively, prudently take the responses to keep our American people safe." 

When asked if the U.S. was caught off guard by the attack, Pompeo said, "We've known for a long time that there was this risk."

"It's been 40 years that the Islamic Republic of Iran has been at this and we've watched them continue to take actions, we saw them take actions that killed an American in Iraq just this past week," he added. 

Garrett asked to what degree the Iraqi government let the U.S. down.

"So early this morning, I made clear when I spoke with the Iraqi leadership that the Iraqis had the responsibility to keep our facilities safe," Pompeo said. "They responded. They brought counterterrorism forces to bear. We reminded them throughout the day of their continued responsibility, and we told them where we thought there was risk."

"We'll make sure they continue to live up to their obligation to keep our facility safe," he added.

Pompeo also defended the airstrikes that militias cited as the cause of some of the protests. "The actions we took, now a couple days back, was in direct response to these same people — Kataeb Hezbollah — these same people who took actions against us and resulted in the loss of life of an American citizen," he said. "President Trump has made clear when that happens, we are going to respond. And we did."  

Pompeo was also asked about North Korea, which recently announced that it would end its moratorium on nuclear and ballistic missile testing. 

"I was more concerned about it when this administration took office," Pompeo said. "We were in a place where it was very likely that we would have ended up in a war with the Democratic People's Republic of North Korea. President Trump has taken an approach where we've tried to develop a diplomatic pathway. We hope that the North Koreans will reconsider, that they'll continue down that pathway. It's important, it's the right solution. We want peace, not confrontation."

"I was there when Chairman Kim made the commitment that said he would not engage in intercontinental ballistic missiles or test firing of their nuclear weapons, testing their nuclear weapons systems," Pompeo added. "He made those commitments to President Trump in exchange for President Trump agreeing not to conduct large-scale military exercises. We've lived up to our commitments. We continue to hold out hope that he'll live up to his as well." 

© 2019 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
9.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Vic Eldred @9    4 years ago

"The actions we took, now a couple days back, was in direct response to these same people — Kataeb Hezbollah — these same people who took actions against us and resulted in the loss of life of an American citizen," he said. "President Trump has made clear when that happens, we are going to respond. And we did."  

[Deleted]

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1.1  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @9.1    4 years ago

Pointing fingers doesn't do a hell of a lot of good. In April 1983 the US Embassy in Beirut was hit by a suicide bomber and of the 61 killed were 17 Americans. Many high ranking official of both the embssay and the CIA. Our response. nada, nothing and that was Regan and a republican administration. 

Of course the bombing of the Marine barracks was six months later and it seems the administration didn't learn a damn thing. 

Stupid dwells on both sides of the aisle. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  1stwarrior @9.1    4 years ago
removed for context

I do. It was called appeasing both Iran and Russia in order to get an "Iran Deal." 

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.1.3  Dulay  replied to  1stwarrior @9.1    4 years ago
Ambassador Tueller sent one cable and @realDonaldTrump dropped in a hundred warriors.

I read the Ambassador Tueller isn't in Iraq, he's away on holiday but he is on his way back ASAP. 

BTW, interesting use of words and verbatim from a tweet and a reddit post by some white guy. You really should tag him as the author if you're quoting his writing. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
9.1.4  1stwarrior  replied to  Dulay @9.1.3    4 years ago

[deleted]

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.1.5  Dulay  replied to  1stwarrior @9.1.4    4 years ago
removed for context

What you posted outside of the quotes:

removed for context

Is not in the article 1st, but as I said, it is verbatim from a tweet and reddit post of some white guy. Would you like me to post a link? His photo and name are connected to the tweet. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
9.1.6  1stwarrior  replied to  Dulay @9.1.5    4 years ago

[Deleted]

[The quote in question was verbatim from a Twitter account.]

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
9.1.7  1stwarrior  replied to  1stwarrior @9.1.4    4 years ago

"Pompeo also defended the airstrikes that militias cited as the cause of some of the protests. "The actions we took, now a couple days back, was in direct response to these same people — Kataeb Hezbollah — these same people who took actions against us and resulted in the loss of life of an American citizen," he said. "President Trump has made clear when that happens, we are going to respond. And we did."

SP - wanna explain how the above, which explains my comment of "I know - ain't it a bitch that I quoted from the article and didn't even footnote it, eh?"  is considered "taunting"?????

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
9.1.8  1stwarrior  replied to  1stwarrior @9.1.6    4 years ago

Show me.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9.1.9  Split Personality  replied to  1stwarrior @9.1.8    4 years ago

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
9.2  1stwarrior  replied to  Vic Eldred @9    4 years ago

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  1stwarrior @9.2    4 years ago

"Pro-Iran demonstrators Wednesday ended   a seige at the US embassy   in Iraq’s capital after an order from the Iranian-backed Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) militias, an AFP correspondent said, a day after their dramatic incursion.

“We burned them!” the demonstrators shouted as they streamed out of the high-security Green Zone housing the embassy just as easily as they had walked in on Tuesday.

Trucks picked up the tents and makeshift barricades that had been brought in for the planned sit-in.

Hundreds of Iraqi militiamen and their supporters hurled stones at the US Embassy in Baghdad for a second day on Wednesday and security forces fired tear gas and stun grenades to drive them away.

Crowds had rallied on Tuesday to protest against   deadly US air strikes   on militia bases, setting fires, throwing rocks and smashing surveillance cameras. They did not breach the huge embassy’s main compound, however.

The strikes were retaliation for the   killing of a US civilian   contractor in a rocket attack on an Iraqi military base, which Washington blamed on Kataib Hezbollah.

More than 5,000 US troops are stationed in Iraq supporting local forces. The air strikes have galvanized calls inside Iraq to expel US forces, not just from Iran-backed militias but also their political rivals."

Last Update: Wednesday, 1 January 2020 KSA 21:24 - GMT 18:24

It's known as "Calling in the Marines"

Kavika
Professor Principal
10  Kavika     4 years ago

It would seem that many have forgotten that we have been in the Middle East for much longer than the current wars. 

October 23, 1983...220 Marines, 18 Sailors and 3 Soldiers died in the suicide bombing of the Marine Corps barracks in Beirut Lebanon. Over 100 more were severely injured.  Regan, after repeatedly saying we wouldn't  pulled our troops three months later he pulled them out.

Within minutes of the Marine Corps bombing the French barracks were hit and 58 French paratroopers were killed. 

This is a US Marine a few days before the bombing. He survived but is 100% disabled from that bombing. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
10.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @10    4 years ago

Semper Fi Kavika - Semper Fi.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
10.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @10    4 years ago

I took care of two burn patients from that incident.  Sadly neither survived.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kavika @10    4 years ago

I'm glad he's still here, Kavika.  I'm sorry he was so badly injured.

Kavika
Professor Principal
10.3.1  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.3    4 years ago
I'm glad he's still here, Kavika.  I'm sorry he was so badly injured.

His life is rough, and he has his good days and many really bad days. TBI, PTSD, and paralyzed right arm and right leg plus numerous other medical problems. 

But he is alive and tries his very best to keep moving forward.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
10.3.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @10.3.1    4 years ago
But he is alive and tries his very best to keep moving forward.

He is the epitome of the true heart of a Native American Warrior. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @10    4 years ago
Regan, after repeatedly saying we wouldn't  pulled our troops three months later he pulled them out.

Let me add to what Sandy said. I hope it gets better for him. It was the first time we discovered that there was an Islamist radical group targeting the US.

So, tell us, Was Reagan right or wrong to pull out of the middle east?

Kavika
Professor Principal
10.4.1  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @10.4    4 years ago
Let me add to what Sandy said. I hope it gets better for him.

Thank you but it is a good as it will ever get for him. 

So, tell us, Was Reagan right or wrong to pull out of the middle east?

A couple of thing Vic. Per my post 9.1.1 six months before the bombing of the Marine Corps barracks the US Embassy in Beirut was bombed with 17 Americans killed among them CIA and embassy personal. So we damn well knew that the US was being targeted.

In the few months leading up to the bombing 6 Marines were killed by motor fire and sniper fire.

Not knowing that we were being targeted is nothing by a lame excuse for a royal screw up.

Reagan sent in the Marines after they had been pulled out earlier. They were part of a ''peace keeping'' mission. The so called barracks were not barracks in reality but a office building by the airport that was a sitting duck. Regan was warned by his advisors including the Sec of Defense Casper Weinberger to put the Marines in a more defensible position. They were also under a order that their weapons could not be fire ready. 

The whole operation was a complete cluster fuck. Should Reagan pulled them out, hell he should have never sent them in the second time and compounded that screw up with them being in a non defensible position with ROI that that were well beyond stupid. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
10.4.2  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @10.4.1    4 years ago

I cannot vote that up enough times Kav.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10.4.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Split Personality @10.4.2    4 years ago

Ditto!

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
10.4.5  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @10.4.1    4 years ago

What stupid logic would make the ROE put the use of returning fire off limits?????

Jeeezzzzz.

Kavika
Professor Principal
10.4.6  Kavika   replied to    4 years ago
You are saying Reagan picked the place the Marines were to be housed and not the military?

No.

Kavika
Professor Principal
10.4.8  Kavika   replied to    4 years ago
Who actually picked the location?They were there on a peacekeeping mission at the time with the French as I remember do you know if they were under the UN flag.

US military command picked the location. The Peace keeping mission consisted of the French, US, Italian and the Brits joined a bit later. I believe that they were under the UN flag. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.4.9  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @10.4.8    4 years ago

A major CF to say the least.   I lost friends there as well .... a real sour patch in my stomach to this day.

Give your son a hearty Semper Fi from another fellow Marine ..... keep the faith brother.

Kavika
Professor Principal
11  Kavika     4 years ago
Give your son a hearty Semper Fi from another fellow Marine ..... keep the faith brother.

I will and than you.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
12  Just Jim NC TttH    4 years ago

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
13  seeder  Vic Eldred    4 years ago

This Just In:

Baghdad rocket attack kills Iranian military leaders including Gen. Qassim Soleimani, reports say

At least three rockets were fired at   Baghdad   International Airport Friday killing at least seven people, including Iranian Gen. Qassim Soleimani, the head of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps' elite Quds Force, according to multiple reports early Friday.

Soleimani   is the military mastermind whom Secretary of State  Mike Pompeo  had deemed equally as dangerous as   Islamic State  leader   Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi , who died in a strike by U.S.-led forces in October.

The strike also killed Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, the deputy commander of Iran-backed militias known as the Popular Mobilization Forces, three Iraqi officials told The Associated Press. Iraqi TV reported the deaths as well.

Defense.gov_News_Photo_041108-M-8205V-003.jpg

Split Personality
Professor Guide
13.1  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @13    4 years ago

Other outlets are saying that the first 3 rockets were launched earlier in the day, did no damage and no one claimed responsibility.

An hour later it was reported that American planes struck and killed Soleimani,  now revised to a drone strike.

Such is the fog of war.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
13.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Split Personality @13.1    4 years ago

I thought the same thing when they reported he was killed by rockets.   Generally speaking we don't use rockets except in engaged combat and even then they usual are shot from helo's or aircraft.   It was pretty doubtful they called in say an Apache for this.   Not surgical enough for us.   Figured either he was taken out via rockets by a US proxy or they got it wrong, which they did.   The media is so fast to try and  "get the scoop" they get it wrong a lot at first.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
14  pat wilson    4 years ago

Predictable.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
14.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  pat wilson @14    4 years ago

LMAO!    The left must be more pissed than Ali Khamenei!   It kind of backfired, didn't it?

pat wilson
Professor Participates
14.1.1  pat wilson  replied to  Vic Eldred @14.1    4 years ago

What backfired ?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
14.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  pat wilson @14.1.1    4 years ago

The little stunt by Iran to threaten the US Embassy in Baghdad. It's Iran that now took a loss. It's Trump that looks strong and Iran that looks weak.