╌>

U.S. embassy urges citizens to depart Iraq immediately: statement

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  117 comments

By:   Reuters

U.S. embassy urges citizens to depart Iraq immediately: statement

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - The United States embassy in Baghdad urged on Friday all citizens to depart Iraq immediately, hours after the U.S. killed Iranian Quds Force leader Qassem Soleimani and Iraqi militia commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis in an air strike.

“Due to heightened tensions in Iraq and the region, the U.S. Embassy urges American citizens to heed the January 2020 Travel Advisory and depart Iraq immediately. U.S. citizens should depart via airline while possible, and failing that, to other countries via land,” it said in a statement.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

I guess they feel the $h1t is about to hit the fan. It's like "The Godfather". Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2  KDMichigan  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    4 years ago
I guess they feel the $h1t is about to hit the fan.

I myself thought the shit was hitting the fan when they attacked our embassy two days in a row. I'm sure the civilian contractor that died during the rocket attacks on our base thought the shit already hit the fan.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2    4 years ago

Kaywan known as K-1 used to be an Iraqi Air base, captured by the Kurds, it now has an unknown number of US military and US Contractors living alongside Iraqi troops and the  Iraqi Federal Police & Counter terrorism units.

It is not "our" base but "we" are most definitely the targets.

Balad was also targeted by 5 missiles ( all misses  ) in June and all Sallyport and Lockheed contractors were ordered home

temporarily.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.2  KDMichigan  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.1    4 years ago

Really so other than my point that a American died in a fucking base in Iraq. This is the best you could come up with to respond to my post? Fucking Hillaryious.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.3  Split Personality  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2.2    4 years ago

You seemed a bit put out that it happened on "our" base.

It didn't.

Civilian contractors go to these shit holes for grossly exaggerated incomes, with free travel, lodging & food.

They know the risks when they provide services to an ACTUAL US Military base like Balad Air Base.

Voluntarily serving in a forward position in an Iraqi base takes a special set of balls or ignorance

but it is not an attack on America like attacking an embassy is.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.4  KDMichigan  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.3    4 years ago
You seemed a bit put out that it happened on "our" base.

Really how do you read all of that into me saying the civilian contractor that died thought the shit was hitting the fan. Must be a liberal technique.

They know the risks when they provide services to an ACTUAL US Military base like Balad Air Base.

Well I guess Iran should know the risk of killing Americans, It's about time they learned that the lead from behind pussy obama is no longer in office, if they haven't figured it out already.

ignorance

Nice, how progressive of you.

We know the proglibs have no problem killing Americans without a trial but I have a problem with it and I sure the hell have a problem with other countries killing Americans. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.6  Split Personality  replied to  XDm9mm @1.2.5    4 years ago

K-1 is not our base. period.

You and I both know the risks you took.

That day was just his last day on earth, preordained by God(?) or not.

An embassy should be sacrosanct and defended with all available aggressiveness.

Truth be told, more often than not,our weapons are not loaded.  It's been poor publicity having Marines killing the untrained, uneducated, "natives". (/s) for many decades.

On the other hand, Benghazi wasn't the embassy, it was a rented space, virtually indefensible.

A predictable outcome as predicted by Woods and others.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.7  Split Personality  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2.4    4 years ago

Take your ignorant partisan hateful proglib, liberal and other nonsense insults and eat them, you deserve the indigestion.

Long before Obama, this country advertised wanted posters, Dead or Alive in it's Post Offices from coast to coast.

When drones were being pioneered under President Bush,

a long drawn out process was developed to identify the top threats to our country both domestically and abroad.

The process was refined and approved by the CIA, DHS, NSC and the JCS.

Obama at least insisted on signing off on theses drones strikes.  Trump continues the process.

A couple of traitorous Americans were identified as giving material aid to our enemies in the field and sanctioned by all

departments and Obama to be targeted.  Pardon the language but fuck them.

A Yemeni Judge ordered Al-Alwaki  be captured dead or alive  in 2010 ( I'm not sure of the date)

You can argue whether or not it's effective.  Supposedly 3500 terrorists have died saving untold American lives.

But the collateral damage numbers plus the 3,500 almost ensure an infinite jihad against us.

Al-Alwaki was killed in 2013 by a TARGETED drone attack approved by the government of the USA.

There will be no trial of Al-Awaki or anyone of the hundreds of people involved in the process of his assassination.

Two weeks after his death in May of 2013, two missiles from another drone strike in Yemeni reportedly killed

AlAlwaki's 16 year old son who was declared to be collateral damage by the Obama Administration who continued to target

the same anti Saudi Arabia tribe of "revolutionaries".  The death reportedly stunned and saddened Obama.

But the drone strikes continued and continue still under the current administration.

The first drone strikes in Yemen under the Trump Administration were a ruse.

They appeared to miss the target only to have Seal Team 6 arrive hours later on January 6 in force

in a raid on the same compound.

Reportedly 8 civilian women and 7 children died from Seal gunfire

including Al-Alwaki's 8 year old daughter, another American, presumably innocent by her age.

War is a horrible mess where rarely is anyone clean at the end.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.8  KDMichigan  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.7    4 years ago
Take your ignorant partisan hateful proglib, liberal and other nonsense insults and eat them, you deserve the indigestion.

This is as far as I read, Typical triggered proglib reply. Now you can get together and stalk my comments because you are butthurt. I don't mind I'm used to your childish liberal games.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.10  Split Personality  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2.8    4 years ago

Too bad, you might have learned something.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.11  KDMichigan  replied to    4 years ago

But Trump....I point out that I don't agree with the targeting of Americans without trial and get a boat load of shit excuses. I didn't know we were at war with Yemen?

You can bet the Trump hating hypocrite would be crying his ass off if Trump ever targeted a American citizen in a drone strike.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.12  KDMichigan  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.10    4 years ago
Too bad, you might have learned something.

Good idea maybe you should instead of your spin and sputter trying to make excuses for the piece of shit obama?

Here is a link to get a head start...

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
1.2.14  al Jizzerror  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.10    4 years ago
you might have learned something.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.15  Split Personality  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2.12    4 years ago

from one of your articles...

The New York Times said another U.S. citizen, Kamal Derwish, had been killed by a drone strike in Yemen on Nov. 3, 2002, when George W. Bush was president. Derwish was a recruiter who put together an al-Qaeda sleeper cell in Lackawanna, N.Y., according to an Oct. 12, 2003, New York Times news story . The U.S. said he was not the intended target and did not acknowledge killing him, but a Yemeni official identified him as one of six men who died in the attack, the story said.

Maybe you should read up on how President Bush started it all.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.16  KDMichigan  replied to    4 years ago
Trump has them siding with terrorists and Iran, fucking pathetic.

If it wasn't so sad it would be Hillaryious.

Watch certain posters change their tune now that Bloomberg praised the strike....LMAO

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.18  KDMichigan  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.15    4 years ago

Maybe you should try reading your own post. Where does it say Bush targeted an American citizen? Here is a fucking clue. It doesn't. Keep spinning and sputtering I'm LMAO. 

The U.S. said he was not the intended target 

And BTFW, I don't agree with any President target killing a American Citizen so your But Trumps fails are Hillaryious and now you have even denigrated to But Bush?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.20  Split Personality  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2.18    4 years ago
And BTFW, I don't agree with any President target killing a American Citizen

The CIA, the NCS, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and DHS determine which traitors who are fighting against us or training those terrorists who fight against US interests, can be targeted by the CIA or the military.

Since 2002 not more than a handful of Senators or Congressman of any party have tried to make an issue about it 

let alone tried to impeach Bush or Obama. Blowing up terrorists in their own back yard is very patriotic.

The Senators are more concerned about drones around domestic airports.  Amazon in particular.

Better call your Congressman and Senator to have them tell President Trump to knock it off.

jrSmiley_72_smiley_image.gif

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.23  KDMichigan  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.20    4 years ago

Still spinning and sputtering I see. 

The piece of shit Obama is the only President to TARGET a  American citizen in a Drone strike. PERIOD.

The acknowledgement came in a letter signed by U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder sent that day to the Senate Judiciary Committee chairman:
Since 2009, the United States, in the conduct of U.S. counterterrorism operations against al-Qa’ida and its associated forces outside of areas of active hostilities, has specifically targeted and killed one U.S. citizen, Anwar al-Aulaqi. The United States is further aware of three other U.S. citizens who have been killed in such U.S. counterterrorism operations over that same time period: Samir Khan, ‘Abd al-Rahman Anwar al-Aulaqi, and Jude Kenan Mohammed. These individuals were not specifically targeted by the United States.

[Deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.2.24  bugsy  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2.23    4 years ago

[Deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.25  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.3    4 years ago

Oh, I get it. Clever, the way you snuck that in. Your'e kind of saying we shouldn't have responded, that civilian contractors know the risks. The President was wrong.

Why am I not surprised!

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.2.26  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.25    4 years ago

snuck what in ?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    4 years ago

If the stuff does hit the fan, Trump will be ready.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  It Is ME    4 years ago

"The United States embassy in Baghdad urged on Friday all citizens to depart Iraq immediately"

Unless one is "Required" to be there, who the Hell else would "WANT" to be there. The Middle East is a Shithole !

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  It Is ME @2    4 years ago
The Middle East is a Shithole !

It is, but one of our own making. Bush 1 did it right.. get in, get out. Bush 2 made a huge mistake by taking out Sadam. He had nada to do with 9/11 and it was Iraq that always kept Iran in its place. We created this vacuum of power that Iran is making the best of. 

As to who would want to be there? Probably people doing business. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    4 years ago
Bush 2 made a huge mistake by taking out Sadam. He had nada to do with 9/11 and it was Iraq that always kept Iran in its place.

And that huge mistake was made worse when Obama yanked the US Military out then turned around and sent us back in with no clear plan and very restrictive ROE.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1.2    4 years ago

I agree Jeremy, but this is the thing. I keep going back to that dirty term Neo-Con that both parties like to use on each other. Sometimes we need to do what we need to do. Other times we think we need to do and we really don't. The problem is that we can only play Monday Morning Quarterback, most of the time. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.3    4 years ago

The problem is that the Armchair Generals (politicians from both sides of the aisle) in Washington.  They are the ones setting the policy for how operations go down without actually knowing how the operations go in the first place.  I understand there is a political aspect to it, but there comes a point where that political aspect becomes a dangerous hindrance to the operations they expected us to carry out.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.5  Raven Wing  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1.4    4 years ago
The problem is that the Armchair Generals (politicians from both sides of the aisle) in Washington.  They are the ones setting the policy for how operations go down without actually knowing how the operations go in the first place. 

I totally agree.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Raven Wing @2.1.5    4 years ago

The biggest armchair wanna be general is Trump.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.7  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1.4    4 years ago

I totally agree. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.8  Krishna  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    4 years ago

As to who would want to be there? Probably people doing business. 

There are people going to work in these dangerous (and often boring!) places who make YUGE salaries. (They have to pay them well-- otherwise most people wouldn't want to go there. Working for oil companies-- defense contractors-- security companies, etc.)

Long ago I met a guy in his 20s who had gone to work in an isolated oil drilling compound "in the middle of nowhere" in an uninhabited area in the Libyan desert. It wasn't dangerous-- only boring. But he said he and other people in their 20s signed on for 6 months or longer-- and returned to the U.S. many thousands of dollars richer!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.9  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.1    4 years ago
But he didn't really get out entirely.  He created a no-fly zone in the south and had the Kurds handling the northern 1/3 of the country.  He knew Saddam was boxed in by us, the Kurds, Iran on his eastern flank and an frenemy in Assad on his Western flank.  He had no where to go.

But the bottom line is that we were not quagmired in there, and that is my point

While I agree to a point, the major FUBAR when Saddam was taken out was dismantling the Iraqi military.  Had we instead kept the military in place, replacing some of the senior leadership, we could have kept Iraq somewhat stable,AND ISIS never would have been created as it was former Iraqi military that established it.  Oh, and once we were in Iraq, Iran had no desire to go toe to toe with us.  They were happy that we eliminated their nemesis.

agreed

Iran has been playing with us since 1979 when they essentially declared war on us by storming and seizing our Embassy.  Carter tucked his tail between his legs and whimpered in a corner sucking his thumb.

The Iranians overplayed their cards and Carter's ineptness in handling the situation backfired on the Iranians. Carter became immobilized by both the oil and hostage crisis. They thought they would get Carter out and disgrace America... a very middle eastern concept. They let the hostages go the day Carter left office. Little did they know what they would be dealing with. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.10  Split Personality  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.9    4 years ago

We have been mucking around in Iran since 1941 culminating in the US backed coup of 1953

and followed by many broken promises.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.11  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    4 years ago
Bush 2 made a huge mistake by taking out Sadam.

So true. My favorite war was the one between Iran and Iraq. Too bad that couldn't have gone on until there was nothing left. However, why dredge this up now?  Isn't this the time when Americans should rally together after an American was killed and our embassy attacked?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.12  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.11    4 years ago

Good Morning Vic,

Why dredge up Obama? I didn't do that. Someone else did. And I agree, this is the time when Americans should rally together after an American was killed and our embassy attacked.

And if you read my previous comments, you would have seen that I don't really have an opinion about this. With the M/E, no one knows what the end result will be. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.13  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.12    4 years ago
Why dredge up Obama?

I bring him up when he is relevant. He's very relevant on the subject of Iran, as well as the other foreign policy disasters he left us, though I haven't mentioned him thus far.

And I agree

I'm glad that we see it the same way.

And if you read my previous comments, you would have seen that I don't really have an opinion about this. 

When you go back to the Bush's I wonder the reason. This involves Iran specifically. When I think of how Iran got to be the Iran we now face I think of Jimmy Carter and you know who.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.14  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.13    4 years ago

Vic,

The discussion, which really was off topic to the whole thing, was who was worse Obama or Trump. But when discussing the missteps of past presidents in the M/E, you can not cherry-pick the country or the president. If we are talking war crimes, which we were, then you have to look at all of them. 

There are those who think I have a dog in this fight. I don't. I don't approve of any of it, other than our invasion of Afghanistan since that is where 9/11 brewed. In the last 39 years, there has been very little that has been done right or well. That cuts across many administrations.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.15  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.14    4 years ago

As to the "very little has been done right thus far - I can only wonder what's next? Iran miscalculated when they took aim at Americans. They thought nothing would happen, because an election normally hamstrings an American president. They just got a shock. That brings us to the elephant in the room.They get to make the next move. If/when they try something, what should we do then?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.16  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.15    4 years ago
If/when they try something, what should we do then?

It really depends on what they do. I think the likelihood of them doing something is quite large. I guess we will have to wait and see.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.17  sandy-2021492  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.14    4 years ago
our invasion of Afghanistan since that is where 9/11 brewed.

Of course, we funded the mujahideen, too.  We provided the tools for them to carry out an attack on us, expecting them to fight our battles.

We really need to learn to keep our hands to ourselves.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.18  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.16    4 years ago
I think the likelihood of them doing something is quite large.

I agree, probably right after the 3 day funeral for their hero. Our response will have to be GREAT like taking out all their nuclear facilities + all their oil fields. I hope Donald can hear me.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.19  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.18    4 years ago

BTW, there is a large exit ramp for the US though I doubt it will be taken:

"Iraq's government, which is closely allied with Iran, condemned the airstrike that killed Soleimani, calling it an attack on its national sovereignty. Parliament is meeting for an emergency session Sunday, and the government has come under mounting pressure to expel the 5,200 American troops based in the country, who are there to help prevent a resurgence of the Islamic State group."

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.20  It Is ME  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    4 years ago
It is, but one of our own making.

The Middle East was a Shithole, waaaaaay before this country was even thought of. War, after War, After War....for 1,000's of years.

How Old is our Country Again ?

katrix
Sophomore Participates
2.1.21  katrix  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.18    4 years ago

From what I've heard, it's the other guy that was killed who was revered by the Iranian people.

And if Obama were in office, I think you'd be screeching about his getting involved. I thought all the Trump idolaters want him to stay out of the rest of the world ... how quickly they change their tune.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.22  Vic Eldred  replied to  katrix @2.1.21    4 years ago
From what I've heard, it's the other guy that was killed who was revered by the Iranian people.

You need only look at the funeral for this monster. 32 people trampled to death. Oh, they revered him alright.

And if Obama were in office, I think you'd be screeching about his getting involved.

I had plenty to screech about with the radical Obama, but please note we didn't do the things the left has done to this President. As a matter of fact Obama was so spoiled he wouldn't have lasted 1 week with what Trump has been subjected to. When the left wing media got through covering Obama they topped it off in bed with a cigarette.

I thought all the Trump idolaters want him to stay out of the rest of the world

Neither Trump nor his supporters wanted to be there. Obama's precious Iranians had a lot to do with that.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.1.23  Sunshine  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.22    4 years ago
Oh, they revered him alright.

Did you notice all the women that where allowed to attend? /s  What a great country and apparently the left's new idols.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.24  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sunshine @2.1.23    4 years ago

I saw an Iranian woman interviewed last night. She obviously couldn't speak English and was reciting memorized words like a trained seal

What a great country and apparently the left's new idols.

Yes, the left is pro Iran.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.25  bugsy  replied to  Sunshine @2.1.23    4 years ago
apparently the left's new idols.

The American left and the Iranians are completing their 3 day mourning of the dead terrorist.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.1.26  Sunshine  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.24    4 years ago

I am sure all our feminist will be wearing pussy hats and marching in the streets in support of their new Supreme Leader in Iran.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.27  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sunshine @2.1.26    4 years ago

That is exactly the kind of woman the democratic party wants.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3  Texan1211    4 years ago

A warning seems a little weird. To me, it is like putting  that warning label on handheld hair dryers-"Do not Use In Water".

Shouldn't some things just be assumed to be common sense?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @3    4 years ago
A warning seems a little weird. To me, it is like putting  that warning label on handheld hair dryers-"Do not Use In Water".

And they do, along with Ikea furniture that says "Not stable unless attached to the wall". LOL. 

But as I said earlier, I think that the people there are mostly business people.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1    4 years ago

Oh, I understand that the government is obligated to give the warning.

But those business people over there aren't stupid, I am assuming, and can see that there might very well be ramifications affecting them personally if they remain.

We should do all we can to ensure their safety and help them get out if necessary.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.1    4 years ago

I can go along with that. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @3    4 years ago

You would think.  But lately common sense seems to be like a super power.  Very few people have it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2    4 years ago

Like tRump supporters 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tessylo @3.2.1    4 years ago

So nothing of value to add to the conversation.  Again.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2.2    4 years ago

Avoid disappointment--expect nothing!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.3    4 years ago

There are many here that I don't expect to be able to string together a coherent sentence.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2.4    4 years ago
There are many here that I don't expect to be able to string together a coherent sentence.  

Don't talk about your right wing friends like that. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2.4    4 years ago

And right on cue, someone volunteers to prove your point.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2.8  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.6    4 years ago

I was thinking the same thing.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.3  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @3    4 years ago

One thing I've noticed about "common sense"-- it often isn't all that common!

(Don't believe me? Pick up any newspaper or watch the news onTV.....)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.3.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Krishna @3.3    4 years ago

You are very right there Krish!

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
4  al Jizzerror    4 years ago

Wait....

Didn't The Donald make it safer?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2  Texan1211  replied to  al Jizzerror @4    4 years ago

In the long term, yes.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2    4 years ago

I'm not sure. 

We just took out Soleimani and we are now sending in 3000 troops... so same chit different day. 

We will have to see how this plays out.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.2.1    4 years ago

I think when we have an opportunity to take out someone who has helped plan, promote and even finance some attacks resulting in hundreds if not thousands of deaths, you take it.

Yes, there will be consequences, some dire, but what are the consequences of not taking the shot?

No, we do not know what the outcome will be. But we certainly had a track record of what had happened as long as we let him go.

I fervently hope it doesn't come to war.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.2.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.2    4 years ago
I think when we have an opportunity to take out someone who has helped plan, promote and even finance some attacks resulting in hundreds if not thousands of deaths, you take it.

agreed

Yes, there will be consequences, some dire, but what are the consequences of not taking the shot?

But this is the thing. Every president who has had to deal with the M/E has had to make this decision. Each will have their fallout. I am not saying that it was wrong to take the shot, but it would be foolish to think that it will not have huge consequences.

No, we do not know what the outcome will be. But we certainly had a track record of what had happened as long as we let him go.

Again, I agree. But this is the thing with the M/E. It's easy to criticize other administrations, and much harder when you are making the decisions. Iran is a menace, but there will be bloodshed whether you deal with them or not.

I fervently hope it doesn't come to war.

I do too. Iran is a huge country with a lot of resources. It would be a war like no other in the M/E. But then again, we can't let them bully us around. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.3  KDMichigan  replied to  al Jizzerror @4    4 years ago

Well taking out a key player of terrorism I think he made it better. I know it has given the anti Trumper proglibs more reason to be butt hurt but I think the world overall is a safer place. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.3.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  KDMichigan @4.3    4 years ago
Well taking out a key player of terrorism I think he made it better. I know it has given the anti Trumper proglibs more reason to be butt hurt but I think the world overall is a safer place.

Well, taking him out is an act of war. To deny that is foolish. So then you have to ask, who are the neo-cons? And why should this bother the progressive/liberals? If anything it should bother Trumpers. But no worries... there be lots of time to play the blame game in the coming weeks. 

The sad truth about the M/E is that there really is no right move. Just lots of slightly better moves and most of those we don't know we have done till the jig is up. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.3.2  KDMichigan  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.3.1    4 years ago
Well, taking him out is an act of war.

Wouldn't state sponsored terrorism by Iran be called a Act of War? Taking him out was a diplomatic mission....

who are the neo-cons?

That would be the people that are pro putting are troops in harms.

And why should this bother the progressive/liberals? 

I don't know, ask them. Haven't you been watching the news? Last i heard the rabid left was saying Trump did this for a distraction, like that makes a ounce of sense. Oh of course we are getting the President Trump is going to start WWIII again by the same.

The sad truth about the M/E is that there really is no right move.

Well seeing I have lost family members to the M/E wars I am all for pulling out and let them fight it out. Tactical bombs are the way of the future

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.3.4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @4.3.3    4 years ago
Well, taking him out is an act of war. So is taking over an Embassy circa 1979.

But this is now and we have to focus on now.

That depends entirely on how the sand is blowing at that point in time.

Exactly.

Honestly, hardly any better moves.  More like less shitty moves.  

I can go for that. 

And no, you'll never know about them until the "jig is up", why would we want to publicize "we're going to send you to visit your 72 Vrigins"?

That is not what I meant. I meant we never know how our actions will play out until the long game is over. Sorry if I was not clear about that.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.3.5  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  KDMichigan @4.3.2    4 years ago
Wouldn't state sponsored terrorism by Iran be called a Act of War? Taking him out was a diplomatic mission....

Which could put us into a war. I am not saying either way yet, if it was a good idea or not, since we have seen some good ideas really turn sour. 

That would be the people that are pro putting are troops in harms.

Errr.. we just sent 3000 troops over. Is that putting our troops in harm's way?

I don't know, ask them. Haven't you been watching the news? Last i heard the rabid left was saying Trump did this for a distraction, like that makes a ounce of sense. Oh of course we are getting the President Trump is going to start WWIII again by the same.

I have been watching and I have heard a lot of opinions about how this could turn out. I don't think that Trump is looking for a war, but taking out Suleimani is clearly an act of war, whether he thinks so or not. The Iranians will not take this sitting down.

Well seeing I have lost family members to the M/E wars I am all for pulling out and let them fight it out. Tactical bombs are the way of the future

I can understand your POV, as my cousin did 4 tours in the M/E. And maybe Tactical bombs will help, but I don't think that we will ever remove the human aspect of war and maybe we shouldn't. Once we sanitize war, we make it more likely. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6  Vic Eldred    4 years ago

Breaking News:

BAGHDAD — 

Iraq’s parliament voted on Sunday to expel U.S. troops from the country, in an extraordinarily rapid response to the Trump administration’s targeted killing of a top Iranian general at the Baghdad airport on Friday.