╌>

Whatever happens with Iran, I’m confident Donald Trump can get us through it

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  10 comments

And if things go south, whom else would I trust to keep an even keel and figure out solutions in a clearheaded manner? What name could possibly leap to mind before the name “Donald Trump”?

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

JANUARY 03, 2020

2KKDKNROGYI6VP76AIGIRM7REA.jpg&w=150 (Andrew Harnik/AP)

Don’t worry! You or I may not know what the fallout will be  from the drone strike  that killed Iranian general  Qasem Soleimani . We may be a little unnerved by Iran’s vows of revenge. We may, naively, fear for the stability of the region and the safety of those who live there.

But surely Donald Trump would not have taken such an action without fully thinking through all of its possible consequences. Donald Trump does not just  do  things. Donald Trump must have applied exactly as much caution and forethought to this matter as we are accustomed to seeing from him on all issues, and, therefore, we have no cause for alarm. Whatever will come next, Donald Trump has surely anticipated it. This is Donald Trump we are talking about.

He is surrounded by the best people, people who would tell him if something he had done or was about to do was a bad idea. He does not randomly turn on the TV and implement whatever the blondest man suggests. He is the president of the United States, with access to maximum information, and that is what he uses to guide him.

This is not some low-stakes matter, like  whether to flush a toilet 10 times or 15 times . On this question, human lives hang in the balance. And thankfully, Donald Trump understands the cost of war. The fact that his  personal intervention  has been key in the clearing of a Navy SEAL who now uses his platform to promote  “KILL BAD DUDES”-themed merchandise  and specialty knives after posing for photos with a dead body is — not a reflection of how Donald Trump sees war.

Donald Trump is not just flailing haplessly around like a cat with its head stuck in a bucket. This guy gets it. He is the one who put Jared Kushner in charge of the Middle East!

I am sure he gave this just as much thought as — or, indeed, even more thought than — he gives less important decisions, such as whether to tweet or whether to accept Rudy Giuliani’s services as his personal lawyer. It is surprising and inconsistent that the Pentagon’s statement about it misidentified the organization Soleimani  led . That does not reflect the level of professionalism at work here, which is no doubt high.

As we walk down a road whose end not even experts can possibly guess, who better than Donald Trump to lead us? He is no expert. Who would you rather have steering this country through a nerve-racking and divisive period than Donald Trump, with his  keen sense of history  and equally keen sense of reality? And if things go south, whom else would I trust to keep an even keel and figure out solutions in a clearheaded manner? What name could possibly leap to mind before the name “Donald Trump”?

In the past, America has blundered into thankless wars that devoured decades and ended thousands of lives. We did not know what we were doing, and we did not know how to get out. But that was because Donald Trump was not in charge.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

We're in good hands. Trump can send his detectives who found out Obama was born in Africa to Tehran and find out what the Ayatollah is up to. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

I would not trust him to get me through the 10 items or less check out without fucking it up.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago
"What name could possibly leap to mind before the name “Donald Trump”?"

Bernie Sanders?

Alfred E. Neuman?

Churchy La Femme?

John Russell?

Clark Kent?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    4 years ago
Churchy La Femme?

Haha!
Haven't heard that one since 7th grade French class!

LOL!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    4 years ago

Aha!  You must  be thinking of "chercher la femme" - Churchy La Femme is a Pogo character. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.1    4 years ago

Yeah, I think you're right!

it was a long time ago!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.2    4 years ago

The French expression means "Let's go look for some girls."

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
3.2  Drakkonis  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    4 years ago

Neville Chamberlain? 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4  bbl-1    4 years ago

Wouldn't worry about anything concerning the Soleimani elimination.  After all, what does it mean anyway?