╌>

Trump properties could become Iranian targets

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  4 years ago  •  45 comments

By:   Rick Newman Senior Columnist,Yahoo Finance

Trump properties could become Iranian targets
President Trump’s real-estate company owns or manages buildings bearing the Trump name in Canada, Dubai, India, Indonesia, Ireland, the Philippines, Scotland, South Korea, St. Martin, Turkey and Uruguay. Those properties are all listed on the company’s website.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A giant billboard advertising the Trump International Golf Club hangs at the Dubai Trade Center roundabout, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, Feb. 18, 2017. (AP Photo/Kamran Jebreili)

There’s a unique set of targets Iran is likely eyeing as it contemplates retaliation for the U.S. killing of a top Iranian general in Iraq on Jan. 2: Trump Organization properties in 11 countries outside the United States.

President Trump’s real-estate company owns or manages buildings bearing the Trump name in Canada, Dubai, India, Indonesia, Ireland, the Philippines, Scotland, South Korea, St. Martin, Turkey and Uruguay. Those properties are all listed on the company’s website.

“[Iran] will look for the most opportune chance to strike back in a way that hurts President Trump personally,” Iran scholar Suzanne Maloney of the Brookings Institution said on a  recent Lawfare podcast . “I will assume security around any Trump property is enhanced.”

We have ZERO problems with the American people,” Ashena wrote, in English, in a  separate tweet . “Our sole problem is Trump. In the event of war, it is he who will bear full responsibility.”

The Trump Organization did not respond to Yahoo Finance questions about security enhancements at properties it owns or manages.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

An Iranian attack on a Trump property in the United States would be an overt act of terrorism likely to trigger an aggressive U.S. military response that could be devastating for Iran.

It might also generate domestic support for Trump and help him get reelected if it occurred before the November election. If Iran denied responsibility for such an attack, suspicion would fall on them anyway and it might not matter.

An attack on a Trump property outside the United States might be different, since the United States wouldn’t automatically be able to characterize it as a violation of U.S. sovereignty.

Foreign investigators might bungle the investigation into who did it. The United States could retaliate militarily against Iran as an ally, but that would be odd if it were in association with a country like Indonesia or the Philippines that isn’t a normal military partner and might not even want U.S. assistance.

Oh my! jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Krishna @1    4 years ago
An attack on a Trump property outside the United States might be different, since the United States wouldn’t automatically be able to characterize it as a violation of U.S. sovereignty.

i know it's wrong,

but i find this fitting, while simultanously amusing.

All of that is out the window though, if people are hurt or killed.

My first thought was of vandalism of some higher degree, but i don't wish for anyone to be harmed, and knowing the track record, someone most likely will. So i guess i must walk back my initial, not thought through, thought, and i do. So before i am mercilessly attacked, after further review, it is not fitting, nor amusing. Though i find it a better alternative than a direct attack on the US, or any of its peoples

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1    4 years ago
My first thought was of vandalism of some higher degree, but i don't wish for anyone to be harmed, and knowing the track record, someone most like

Well they might attack Mar a Lago or one of his properties that is only used occasionally.

Or, perhaps, if its a large property just do severe damage to some of the buildings on the property that are unoccupied in the middle of the night (garages, kitchens, etc).

(One thing that the "experts" keep  mentioning are cyber-attacks. These can do a lot more damage than many people realize. (And it doesn't have to be at only one property-- it could be at several simultaneously.

Or do serious damage to electrical systems in a way which harms no one but takes a lot of time and money to fix.... seriously damage plumbing... 

Or tear up roads leading to properties for long stretches ..

Or simultaneously do all of the above and more...to several of his properties at once.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.1.1    4 years ago

Or instead of doing some dramatic things all at once... just engage in continual acts of harassment daily... more for psychological effect than actual physical damage.

Or...the worst of all...constantly bombard all his phones with Robocalls!!! 

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
1.2  al Jizzerror  replied to  Krishna @1    4 years ago
An Iranian attack on a Trump property

Okay.  Let's say I'm on the 18th tee.  If my drive goes into the crater where the clubhouse used to be, is that a hole-in-one?

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.2.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  al Jizzerror @1.2    4 years ago
is that a hole-in-one?

Yes-- and soon those mischievous Iranians may put a hole in another one..and yet again another one...

I agree with  igknorantzrulz though-- hopefully no actual humans will be hurt in the process. (Which actually shouldn't be a problem if that's what they [hopefully] really want)

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.2.2  1stwarrior  replied to  al Jizzerror @1.2    4 years ago

Actually, from where the clubhouse is from the 18th tee, it would be one helluva shank.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @1.2.1    4 years ago
"...hopefully no actual humans will be hurt in the process."

If they were to bomb (or fly a hijacked airplane into) a Trump Tower there is a chance they could be killing Russian or Chinese and Muslim guests, which would be a BIG mistake on their part, but then were the Muslim 9/11 planners and pilots concerned at all that there were a lot of Muslims in the WTC?

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

Security experts point out that in addition to conventional military assets such as missiles, mines and submarines, Iran has cyberwarfare capabilities and could cause digital disruption.

Cyber attacks could narrowly target individual organizations or aim to cause havoc by disabling power grids or other essential infrastructure.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Trump is going to hire Blackwater to protect his properties and pay them with money earmarked for the border wall. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @3    4 years ago
Trump is going to hire Blackwater to protect his properties and pay them with money earmarked for the border wall. 

I hope fr Trump's sake they won't be building a wall that can be sawed through...

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.1    4 years ago
I hope fr Trump's sake they won't be building a wall that can be sawed through...

Anyone remember this?:

So, you remember that row of Trumpy-Wall prototypes bleaching in the Sun south of San Diego? They looked really impressive, yes? Wasn’t it keen how they stood there, all tall and proud, casting long shadows and standing guard as if to say   clamber over this, you brown bastards ? It was just so muscular and masculine, a real guy’s guy answer to the problem.

Well, yeah, but the Department of Homeland Security asked the military, maybe the Army Corps of Engineers, to have a go at breaching them, under condition that they could use only ordinary tools that any would-be Coyote could pick up at the average Mexican hardware store. The soldiers saluted smartly, and promptly cut their way through every one of the eight prototypes, apparently using nothing more than a garden variety circular saw, and perhaps some other common implements. Not one of them stood up to testing. They had to halt one experiment when the prototype looked about to fall over. Here’s what became of the “steel slats” version that Trump now advocates:  (Cont'd)

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
3.1.2  al Jizzerror  replied to  Krishna @3.1.1    4 years ago
Well, yeah, but the Department of Homeland Security asked the military, maybe the Army Corps of Engineers, to have a go at breaching them, under condition that they could use only ordinary tools that any would-be Coyote could pick up at the average Mexican hardware store.

Then there's this high tech solution to scaling a 30 foot wall - a 32 foot ladder (they also come in 40 and 50 foot sizes):

In stock at Home Depot.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  al Jizzerror @3.1.2    4 years ago
In stock at Home Depot.

That's good to know. (Just before the wall is complete, I'm going to buy stock in Home Depot!).

Heck-- maybe we could convince Trump to build more walls.One along the entire Canadian border. Possibly even between several states. Or...even a wall or two "in the middle of nowhere".

The more walls we build, the more ladders Home Depot will sell to aspiring wall crossers.The more ladders they sell, the more their stock will go up.

(I'll be rich in no time! :-)

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
3.1.4  al Jizzerror  replied to  Krishna @3.1.3    4 years ago
Possibly even between several states.

He promised to build a wall in Colorado.

I guess he was gonna make New Mexico pay for it.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    4 years ago

So he should make decisions based on a desire to protect his wealth? I thought the fear of him doing that very thing was supposed to be one of the reasons he either shouldn't be president or should sell all of his property. If he's clearly acting against self-interest, isn't that a good thing?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Tacos! @4    4 years ago

don't think ole Donny thought this one all the way through.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  igknorantzrulz @4.1    4 years ago

Certainly possible, but all the other days of the year, he's supposed to be this guy who's always planning and scheming for his own benefit. Suddenly three days ago he became a different person?

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.1    4 years ago
he's supposed to be this guy who's always planning and scheming for his own benefit.

Well he is. He's constantly doing just that. But even though he does that, he doesn't think things through thoroughly. 

Another way to say that: he's really, really impulsive.

And my guess is that that trait will be his eventual un-doing.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  Krishna @4.1.2    4 years ago
Another way to say that: he's really, really impulsive.

Well, I do think that's true. For example, I think he could have still played hardball with Iran even without pulling out of the nuclear agreement. Then, we'd come off a lot more righteous than we are.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @4    4 years ago
So he should make decisions based on a desire to protect his wealth?

Or his life..if he happens to be there when one of his properties is attacked.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.2    4 years ago

Or his life..if he happens to be there when one of his properties is attacked.

Hopefully the iranians (or their proxies) will be smart enough to carry out any campaign of harassment without actually harming-- much less killing-- anyone.

BTW no-one knows how they will carry out their revenge...but if I had to guess a lot of people (who are predicting various acts of violence) will be totally fooled. My best guess? It will be "Cyber-warfare"-- nasty attacks in which computers are the only ones damaged! 

But they can really raise hell in any organization.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
4.3  al Jizzerror  replied to  Tacos! @4    4 years ago
So he should make decisions based on a desire to protect his wealth?

Nobody said that (except you).

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.3.1  Tacos!  replied to  al Jizzerror @4.3    4 years ago
Nobody said that

Yes I know. Perhaps you missed the lack of quotation marks. Perhaps you missed the question mark. You let me know if you actually take an interest in what I might be thinking of.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tacos! @4    4 years ago

His money is safe unless Swiss banks get targeted.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5  igknorantzrulz    4 years ago

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5    4 years ago

Yep.

(And it wouldn't be the first time...)

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6  bbl-1    4 years ago

When ever America gets honest public servants in control of the IRS and The Treasury Department all of Trump's businesses and properties will be targets. 

This tidbit too;  There is evidence in the past that Trump businesses have done business with Iran's Revolutionary Guard.  Ivanka knows this.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  bbl-1 @6    4 years ago

There is evidence in the past that Trump businesses have done business with Iran's Revolutionary Guard.

Interesting..I hadn't known that.

But I'm not surprised

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  Krishna @6.1    4 years ago

Something about a tower that was built.  Ivanka was there.  The tower is in a very out of the way place.  Others were also involved.  Allegedly there was money laundering involved.  Investigations were started then abruptly ended.  Just like The Panama Papers and The Cyprus Connections.  Remember them?

There were stories beginning to surface in late 2015 and early 2016.  Then the 'Access Hollywood and Stormy Thing' bubbled up and ( poof ) they were gone.  But it is still there.  This is why Mnuchin is keeping Trump's financials secret------or-----taking time to 'fix' them.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7  Nerm_L    4 years ago

Yes.  Unlike other Presidents, Trump has placed himself on the front line and made himself a target.  Trump has skin in the game unlike the career political detractors.

Donald Trump is the first international President that has been elected.  Trump's businesses around the world are vulnerable.  Trump has more at stake than any past President.  What Trump does as President can directly harm himself.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1  Tessylo  replied to  Nerm_L @7    4 years ago

What is that nonsense you're babbling on about?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
7.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Nerm_L @7    4 years ago

Donald Trump is the first international President that has been elected.  Trump's businesses around the world are vulnerable.  Trump has more at stake than any past President.  What Trump does as President can directly harm himself.

What Trump does as potUS can also enrich himself, and have been.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.2.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  igknorantzrulz @7.2    4 years ago
What Trump does as potUS can also enrich himself, and have been.

As well as his cronies-- IIRC some are facing various charges.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  igknorantzrulz @7.2    4 years ago

Is there a recent past POTUS who doesn't charge very big buck speaking fees, or writing books?  They enrich themselves because of the position they held, so........?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
7.2.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.2.2    4 years ago

that usually happens AFTERWARDS, not DURING

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.2.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  igknorantzrulz @7.2.3    4 years ago

So the Clinton Trust did not provide any benefits to the Clintons when Bill was POTUS?  I guess a nice Director's fee paid to Hillary and/or Chelsea would not count as a benefit.  Obama wrote books prior to being POTUS so I guess he made sure that any author's benefits paid for the sale during his tenure (which would have been a cause of many book sales) would have to have been paid to Michele, or a trust for his kids. That doesn't count, I guess. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
7.2.5  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.2.4    4 years ago

hey Buzz, do you seriously want to compare Trump to other potUS ?  Cause it is a losing argument,

We Have NO IDEA what Trumpp is profiting from due to him not releasing his tax info.

What we do know is; Trump charity was CLOSED due to Trump himself, as well as his campaign benefitting from "Trump Charity". I thought charities were to benefit others...?His kids have to take charity courses. What was he fined, 2 million or something ? He's wound up spending over a hundred million and counting at his OWN RESORTS. He attempted to host the G-7 at his OWN resort. The VP stayed at his resort while the reason he was there, was over an hour a way. Our Military is using his airport to purchase fuel, when this wasn't the case before he was potUS. His wife is an illegal immigrant, till he proves otherwise. You know, one of those people he's always railing about, so he can build a wall that MEXICO IS NOT PAYING FOR, as that would be US taxpayers, and i believe some contracted to potentially build said wall, have Trump ties, hopefully tied around their necks. Ivanka suddenly got Chinese copyrights , somehow.

Jared should not have clearances, and i'm POSITIVE, THE FAMILY BUSINESS IS NEVER DISCUSSED AT FAMILY GET TOGETHERS.

And i could go on and on,  BUT   YYYYYYYYYYY

Trump is as crooked as they come, he is SCUM plain and simple, well more like an EVERYTHING bagel

but

i like your suggestion of lox and cream cheese...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.2.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  igknorantzrulz @7.2.5    4 years ago

Yeah, I guess it's something like being just a little bit pregnant rather than very pregnant - but it's still pregnant.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
7.2.7  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.2.6    4 years ago
pregnant

well Trump should have been aborted before the first date, not in the third trimester, imoh so humble   opine

but i do have a craving for an everything  bagel with a combination Lox and chive filled cream cheese and chile still...

hope i'm not prego

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.2.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  igknorantzrulz @7.2.7    4 years ago

I wish there was a Dunkin' Donuts anywhere in this area, not only because as a Canadian I was a Tim Horton's donuts fan and the DD ones are almost the same, but they also sell bagels (maybe not as good as from a Jewish bakery, but they're still bagels) because I can buy cream cheese in the supermarkets and packages of frozen sliced smoked salmon in the METRO big box store that sells imported foods. .The lox and cream cheese just isn't the same on toast. The Chinese only make yeast donuts but I prefer the cake ones. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Nerm_L @7    4 years ago
Trump has placed himself on the front line and made himself a target.

true!

No one ever criticized Bush-- or Clinton-- or even Jimmy Carter!

Yep-- there was never any CDS ("Carter Derangement Syndrome"). And no Republican is ever really a "meanie" the way th "proglibs" Socialists are!

Republicans never criticized Clinton. 

No CDS-- evah!

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Nerm_L @7    4 years ago
What Trump does as President can directly harm himself.

Yep-- he's the only one!

Thank goodness that that didn't apply to presidents Lincoln. And Kennedy. They managed to escape harm from their actions.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.4.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @7.4    4 years ago
Thank goodness that that didn't apply to presidents Lincoln. And Kennedy. They managed to escape harm from their actions.

And how could I forget-- Presidents Garfield and McKinley (IIRC) were also assassinated.

But of course none of them ever had to face the terrible things that Trump faces every day (due to his great courage, of course!)

bugsy
Professor Participates
8  bugsy    4 years ago

Now that the American left is complete with their 3 days of mourning the dead terrorist, they have moved on to hoping Iran attacks property of the President.