Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  4 years ago  •  5 comments

By:   Sanjana Karanth Huffpost

Rep. Duncan Hunter Resigns After Pleading Guilty To Stealing Campaign Donations

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Rep. Duncan Hunter Resigns After Pleading Guilty To Stealing Campaign Donations

1b7bcfa0-ffe6-11e8-abbe-535ccd54ed26 January 7, 2020, 7:59 PM EST

Congressman Hunter announces resignation date

Rep. Duncan Hunter submitted his resignation Tuesday, about a month after the California Republican pleaded guilty to a federal charge of conspiring to misuse campaign funds.

In December,  Hunter told his constituents  in California’s 50th District that he was planning to announce his resignation from Congress “shortly after the holidays.” His resignation will be effective Jan. 13.

“Since the day I joined the Marines in the aftermath of 9/11, I have had the honor of serving my country, both at home and abroad,” Hunter wrote in his resignation letter. “After three tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan, I was elected to the House and brought with me the  lessons I learned during my service in the Marine Corps  and the values instilled by my father who held this seat before me. Growing up in East County San Diego, I learned from an early age the importance of liberty, the value of patriotism, and what a strong and secure border can bring to a community.

“It has been an honor to serve the people of California’s 50th District, and I greatly appreciate the trust they have put in me over these last 11 years,” he added.

Hunter and his wife, Margaret Hunter,  were indicted in August 2018  on charges of misappropriating $250,000 in campaign donations for personal use, including to pay for luxurious family vacations, their children’s private school tuition, expensive meals and airfare for their pet rabbits. He also allegedly used campaign donations  to fund his extramarital affairs.

The indicted Republican was reelected to his seat  in the 2018 midterm race against progressive Democratic challenger Ammar Campa-Najjar, a candidate of Mexican-Palestinian descent whom Hunter  attacked with racist campaign ads.

The congressman, an early supporter of President Donald Trump, initially pleaded not guilty in the corruption case and insisted that he was the victim of  a politically motivated “witch hunt.”  He claimed that the  stealing was mainly his wife’s fault   and also a bit of his son’s fault .

Margaret Hunter pleaded guilty in June to conspiring to misuse campaign funds and had agreed to cooperate with prosecutors in the corruption case.

Duncan Hunter eventually  changed his plea to guilty  on Dec. 3 on a single federal charge of conspiracy to misuse campaign funds. He faces up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine, though his attorney has previously said that prosecutors agreed to recommend significantly less time. Sentencing is set for March 17.

Just days after his guilty plea, Hunter announced his plan to resign after the winter holidays without specifying exactly when that would be. Hunter’s salary as a congressman is $174,000 ―  more than double his district’s average household income  ― which breaks down to about $477 per calendar day. With his resignation effective Jan. 13, that means  Hunter will have “worked” 41 days after pleading guilty to stealing donations, earning $19,557.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

Typical republicon.  Lying, thieving, grifter, thug, con.  

lady in black
Professor Quiet
2  lady in black    4 years ago

Another hypocritical republican bites the dust..but, but aren't they the "family values" bible touting party....

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
3  al Jizzerror    4 years ago
The congressman, an early supporter of President Donald Trump, initially pleaded not guilty in the corruption case and insisted that he was the victim of  a politically motivated “witch hunt.”  He claimed that the  stealing was mainly his wife’s fault   and also a bit of his son’s fault .

Gee, another lying thieving Republican Congressman?

I'm fucking shocked!

Hunter blamed his wife and son.  What a piece of shit.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  al Jizzerror @3    4 years ago

Typical scumbag.   Yeah, he threw his wife under the bus a while ago.  I hope she takes him for all he's got.