╌>

The UK is abandoning its alliance with Trump as the United States 'withdraws from its leadership around the world'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  4 years ago  •  35 comments

By:   Business Insider

The UK is abandoning its alliance with Trump as the United States 'withdraws from its leadership around the world'
The UK is threatening to tear up its defense alliance with the US after President Donald Trump's Iran crisis triggered a rupture between the two countries.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Donald Trump.  Getty

The UK is threatening to tear up its defense alliance with the US after President Donald Trump's Iran crisis triggered a rupture between the two countries.

UK Defense Secretary Ben Wallace told The Sunday Times that the UK was looking to forge stronger alliances with other international partners that shared its priorities.

He said the US under Trump risked withdrawing from its global leadership role. Wallace also said Trump threatened to tear up the US's intelligence-sharing relationship with the UK.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

The comments came after Prime Minister Boris Johnson's government distanced itself from the attack that killed Soleimani, with UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab labeling it  a "dangerous escalation" that  risked a conflict  in which "terrorists would be the only winners.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

A spokesman for Johnson was also quick to condemn Trump's threats to target Iranian cultural sites, if carried out, as a breach of international law and possibly a war crime.

The UK is now openly threatening to tear up its long-standing defense partnership with the US.

Wallace told The Sunday Times that the UK was increasingly looking for alternative international allies.

"Regardless of what the US does ... we are going to have to make decisions that allow us to stand with a range of allies, the Five Eyes [intelligence partnership with the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand] and our European allies where our interests converge," he said.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
3  Larry Hampton    4 years ago

Rump has the strategic intelligence of a cement block. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

WTG Trump.  You just alienated one of our strongest allies.  Don't expect an invite to the UK anytime soon.  The Queen is not amused.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1  cjcold  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    4 years ago

None of the royals ever liked him in the first place. In fact they loath him for good reason.

Trump told Howard Stern live-on-air that he could have "fucked Princess Diana but she would have had to take a HIV test first." 

Trump called Meghan Markle "a nasty woman" for her negative opinion of him.

Trump breaks Royal protocol by touching the Queen on the back.

Doubt they'll be inviting him back anytime soon.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  cjcold @4.1    4 years ago

The only one who would welcome him would be the former Prince Andrew.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  Vic Eldred    4 years ago

By all means the UK should step forward into a leadership role in the middle east. I think the President should completely withdraw from the middle east and let the Europeans and or the Turks deal with a problem that has more to do with them than us.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.1  MrFrost  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    4 years ago
By all means the UK should step forward into a leadership role in the middle east.

But Kusner is doing such a fantastic job of bringing peace to the Middle East.../s

I think the President should completely withdraw from the middle east and let the Europeans and or the Turks deal with a problem that has more to do with them than us.

Israel will not be pleased. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  MrFrost @5.1    4 years ago

So, you want the US to stay?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.1    4 years ago

So, you want the US to stay?

Where did I say that? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  MrFrost @5.1.2    4 years ago

You didn't. You seem to be agreeing with me. I wasn't sure.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.1.5  MrFrost  replied to  dennis smith @5.1.4    4 years ago

Isreal has been a county for over 50 years Time for them to make other alliances in the ME. We are not their keeper.

I totally agree. We should pull up stakes and wish them the best. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.1.6  MrFrost  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.3    4 years ago

You didn't. You seem to be agreeing with me. I wasn't sure.

I was, to a point. I have said for years that we should cut all ties with the ME. 

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.8  Ender  replied to  dennis smith @5.1.7    4 years ago
I also think we do not need to continue to be global leader.

[Deleted]

Of course we should step down ...s/

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.3  cjcold  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    4 years ago
more to do with them than us.

In case you hadn't noticed, the world has become a very small place. 

Isolationist policies won't do the US any favors.

Trump is rapidly alienating all of our traditional allies. 

The US can't go it alone in this day and age.

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    4 years ago

They could not do any better, They used to say the Sun Never Sets on The British Empire, they used to rule a large part of the world but could not keep control.  

USA had to save their asses in two World Wars

They can't even keep their Prince happy any more

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

The headline is false.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
8  Nerm_L    4 years ago

Why would the UK tearing up its defense alliance with the US be a bad thing for the United States?

Making a threat really needs to mean something.   

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
8.1  Ronin2  replied to  Nerm_L @8    4 years ago

The second the British had to face some 3rd world dictator they would be screaming for the US help to do all of the heavy lifting. 

They need to lose our number. This is a one way alliance that only benefits them.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.1.2  cjcold  replied to  Ronin2 @8.1    4 years ago

So you understand nothing about global realities? 

Pretty sure the Brits fought beside us in two world wars as well as a few police actions..

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
8.1.3  Ronin2  replied to  cjcold @8.1.2    4 years ago

You have that wrong.

The US saved their asses in two world wars; and did most of the heavy lifting in those police actions.

They are riding our coattails, not the other way around.

Take a look at the breakdown of the NATO/Libyan War- if you can call it that.

This Monday, March 28, President Obama defended his decision to join the allied forces in Libya and clarified that US involvement would be limited and supporting. By the next day, according to the Pentagon, "the United States had fired all but 7 of the 214 cruise missiles used in the conflict and flown 1,103 sorties compared to 669 for all other allies combined," Reuters reports . "It also dropped 455 of the first 600 bombs."

The Associated Press
notes that this Saturday the US is expected to divert the rest of the military effort to other NATO countries. But, as the New York Post's Michael Goodwin points out, "In truth, there is no NATO without the US," so it hardly seems like these numbers will stay the same as long as the coalition is present in Libya.

Click on chart for Coalition forces and sorties flown. It is a joke. There is the US, and then everyone else. Consider this was a war for British and French oil development contracts in Libya- you would think our "allies" would have done the heavy lifting and supplied the vast majority of the assets.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9  It Is ME    4 years ago

Wallace said the UK would need to reduce its dependence on US military assets.
"We are very dependent on American air cover and American intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance assets," he said. "We need to diversify our assets."

Trumps been pushing ALL Allies to be more dependent on their own capability to Defend themselves, since even before he was elected.

It's working. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif