╌>

The NCAA Needs to Change ASAP

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  thrawn-31  •  4 years ago  •  8 comments

By:   t

The NCAA Needs to Change ASAP
The NCAA needs to wake the fuck up

This will probably result in NCAA fines for the program even though these kids are turning pro after the whistle. 

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Richard Sherman says it best..

These kids should absolutely be allowed to be paid outside of their schools. The disparity argument is bullshit, THERE IS ALREADY DISPARITY. That won't change.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Thrawn 31    4 years ago

"Star quarterback Joe Burrow  was asked on a Barstool Sports podcast  Wednesday if the money was real. His response: "I'm not a student-athlete anymore, so I can say yeah." 

And that is a fucking problem. Student athletes need to be able to accept endorsements.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.1  Larry Hampton  replied to  Thrawn 31 @1    4 years ago

Yup they do, The Schools are raking it in on the backs of these kids. It's not right.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3  Sparty On    4 years ago

I'm conflicted on this.  

On one hand the schools (and don't forget the NCAA) are raking it in big time.   On the other hand and IMO, letting college athletes get paid will effectively destroy college sports as we know them today.   Turning colleges into "farm clubs" for the pro's.   The sports richer, higher profile schools will win and the lower profile, poorer school will lose, possibly shutting down their sports programs all together.

I'm with MUVA, if they want, just let them try to go pro right out of high school.   College sports is an integral part of the college experience for many.   I know it was for me but it's not the reason kids are suppose to be there.   Education first, sports second still rings true for me and likely always will.

To me this is not the real problem with college today.   The real problem is the run away cost of going there.   The cost of which has been far outpacing inflation and wage growth for quite some time.   Its a huge problem.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1  seeder  Thrawn 31  replied to  Sparty On @3    4 years ago
On one hand the schools (and don't forget the NCAA) are raking it in big time. 

Billions per year. 

Turning colleges into "farm clubs" for the pro's. 

That is exactly what they are. Every pro sports team is a season ticket holder for multiple universities specifically so their scouts can go and observe prospects. There is a reason there is no "amateur" football league, it already exists and it is called the NCAA. Even then you can hardly argue that they are amateurs considering the amount of time and energy the player put into the game and the revenue they generate. 

The sports richer, higher profile schools will win and the lower profile, poorer school will lose

That is already the case. How many 5 star prospects in the two major college sports are committing to San Jose State University? Do Alabama Ohio State or Duke even have to go out recruiting anymore? The disparity has existed for decades and letting the players actually earn a living will have net zero impact. If I am a 5 star prospect I am going to a university in the larger media markets where I will get the most exposure and be in front of as many scouts as possible. 

Education first, sports second still rings true for me and likely always will.

Then stop charging for sporting events. Take the money out of it and education will come first. As long as there are billions of $ to be made off college sports football and basketball will always come first, education if it is convenient for the program.

To me this is not the real problem with college today.

There are many, but this is one that particularly irks me. This group (student athletes) are literally the only group of people in the country essentially banned from participating in a capitalistic society. They cannot even work at a gas station in their off time (that they don't have) without losing their scholarship and place on the team. There was a player this season from Ohio State who had to sit out a few games because a family friend paid to have his girlfriend fly out to Cali to watch him in the Rose Bowl last season. That is absolutely fucking retarded. 

The real problem is the run away cost of going there.   The cost of which has been far outpacing inflation and wage growth for quite some time.   Its a huge problem.

That is indeed what is crippling our higher education system, and ultimately the economy. Many many studies consistently show that our economic growth is being held back because college graduates can't even get started on buying things like homes or cars until their 30s because they spend their 20s trying to pay off student loan debt. We definitely need to revamp how our  higher ed is funded. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.1    4 years ago
That is exactly what they are. Every pro sports team is a season ticket holder for multiple universities specifically so their scouts can go and observe prospects. There is a reason there is no "amateur" football league, it already exists and it is called the NCAA. Even then you can hardly argue that they are amateurs considering the amount of time and energy the player put into the game and the revenue they generate. 

In theory they still need to go to class and graduate.   Yeah, i know.   Not all upper level programs push that but they should IMO.    And it isn't a "farm system" yet.   MLB has a true farm system and that is paid for by that team not the state, other teams or someone else.   College is not that yet.   Not even close actually.

That is already the case. How many 5 star prospects in the two major college sports are committing to San Jose State University? Do Alabama Ohio State or Duke even have to go out recruiting anymore? The disparity has existed for decades and letting the players actually earn a living will have net zero impact. If I am a 5 star prospect I am going to a university in the larger media markets where I will get the most exposure and be in front of as many scouts as possible.

That's great for big schools right?   And your supposition that five star prospects and players will always go to major colleges just isn't true.   Not every kid wants the large college experience and paying players will likely deprive them of many of those smaller programs.

I give you Steph Curry ..... Davidson, Larry Bird from Indiana State,  Steve Nash from Santa Clara, Karl Malone from Louisana Tech ..... i could go on but you get the point.  

Then stop charging for sporting events. Take the money out of it and education will come first. As long as there are billions of $ to be made off college sports football and basketball will always come first, education if it is convenient for the program.

Why?   Sports pays for many things at colleges other than sports.   If athletics that bring money into the school, leaves those any schools because of this then, they'll have find other revenue sources or drop programs.   No way around it.

This group (student athletes) are literally the only group of people in the country essentially banned from participating in a capitalistic society.

Horseshit.   I played college ball for two years and got a free ride for those years.   My pay was i didn't need to pay for college those two years.    Kids that weren't on athletic scholarships don't get that luxury and make no mistake.   By comparison it IS a luxury.   Especially today with run away costs.   No one is forcing kids into sports in college.   We all had a choice.

That is indeed what is crippling our higher education system, and ultimately the economy. Many many studies consistently show that our economic growth is being held back because college graduates can't even get started on buying things like homes or cars until their 30s because they spend their 20s trying to pay off student loan debt. We definitely need to revamp how our  higher ed is funded. 

Well, we agreed on one thing and thats a start.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Sparty On @3    4 years ago
On one hand the schools (and don't forget the NCAA) are raking it in big time.  

I don't disagree.  They offer scholorships to many students so they would play for the school

On the other hand and IMO, letting college athletes get paid will effectively destroy college sports as we know them today.

That brings into question of who is the student playing for.  The school or the company endorsing them.  It could turn out that, if the student chooses the endorsement, the school, through some legal wrangling, could pull any scholarships the student is using to attend the school and apply the tuition most other students are paying.