╌>

Americans are binge drinking more, greatly increasing health risks

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  34 comments

By:    Erika Edwards

Americans are binge drinking more, greatly increasing health risks
The rise in binge drinking increases health risks: accidents, disease and early death.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Americans who binge drink have reached new levels of over-consumption: A report published Thursday finds that binge drinkers have significantly increased their alcohol intake in recent years.

The report by the   Centers for Disease Control and Prevention   analyzed trends in binge drinking from 2011 to 2017 and found that overall rates fell slightly, from 18.9 percent to 18 percent.

But those who do report binging are imbibing more than before.

According to the findings, the average number of drinks consumed by binge drinkers per year increased from 472 in 2011, to 529 in 2017. Of note, those numbers are thought to be substantial underestimates because the analysis relied on reports from the drinkers themselves.

Binge drinking is defined as five or more alcoholic beverages on one occasion for men and at least four for women.

The largest increases were found among white people and people with lower income and education levels. Although men were more likely than women to engage in binge drinking, increases were seen in both sexes.

Notably, the rise in binge drinking wasn't seen in college students; rather, it was in adults over age 35.

In 2017, binge drinkers ages 35 to 44 consumed a high of 593 drinks per person, up from 468 in 2011. Adults ages 45 to 64 had a smaller, but similar, increase.

The research adds to a growing body of evidence suggesting that alcohol is becoming more of a problem among older generations. A   study released last summer   found one in 10 people over age 65 engaged in binge drinking, which can increase the risk for falls and interact with medications for chronic diseases.

The health implications of excessive alcohol intake are significant. A   2018 study   found more than five alcoholic beverages a week could raise the risk of stroke, heart disease and aneurysms. And the CDC said   one in 10 deaths   among U.S. adults is from over-consumption of alcohol.

The CDC also reported that by far, the largest increase in excess alcohol consumption was among people without a high school degree: 942 drinks binged per person in 2017, up from 646 in 2011.

There were also state-by-state differences, with the least amount of drinks binged in Massachusetts, 320 drinks per person, and the highest in Wyoming, at 1,219 drinks per person. Although the report didn't explore the reasons for either the increases or the disparities, researchers address what could be done to reverse trends.

"Evidence-based prevention strategies, such as regulating the number of alcohol outlets in a local geographic area, could reduce binge drinking and related harms," the study's authors wrote.

Government   guidelines   recommend that women have no more than one alcoholic drink a day and that men have no more than two.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

squiggy
Junior Silent
1  squiggy    4 years ago

If a legislature with a testicle could be found, the stuff would be out of advertising tomorrow.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

Too many people seem to have the idea that they aren't having a good time unless they're falling-down drunk.  I noticed when I was married, and occasionally attended my ex's company picnics and Christmas parties - most of the guys could only talk about how much they were looking forward to the open bar.  I always hated those, because those of us who either didn't drink or drank more moderately ended up taking care of the over-indulgers and their kids, who got to watch their daddies get sloppy drunk.  Good lesson.

user image
Freshman Silent
2.1    replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    4 years ago

God forbid people enjoy some drinks at a PARTY. Sounds like the women at his company were not much fun, I know at my company holiday party there were several women being helped out of the venue due to their drunken stupor. Of course most people I work with know better than to bring their children to an event where it is explicitly clear there will be drinking.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  @2.1    4 years ago

Some drinks are fine.  Getting falling-down drunk so that other people have to keep you from doing stupid shit is not fine.  And if the only way some folks can have fun is to get falling-down drunk, that's an issue, don't you think?  Or do you think that's a healthy way to live?

user image
Freshman Silent
2.1.3    replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.2    4 years ago

It's obviously not a healthy lifestyle, but there is a time and place for that type of behavior and I think a company holiday party would be one of them. I didn't judge any of the women getting falling down drunk at my company party and in fact I thought it was funny and we joked about it the next workday. You work with these people all year round might as well let your hair down for one day and have a good time. As long as you're not throwing up or embarrassing yourself too much that you regret it later.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  @2.1.3    4 years ago

So you're for binge drinking?

Ok.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
2.1.5  katrix  replied to  @2.1.3    4 years ago
there is a time and place for that type of behavior and I think a company holiday party would be one of them.

You can't be serious. You wouldn't last long at my company.

Lots of people have been fired due to inappropriate behavior due to over-indulging at company parties. Every holiday season there are articles with stories about those situations.

And what's up with the comments about women? Sandy didn't say it was only women who were in the non-drinking or drinking-in-moderation crowd. And you apparently view women being helped out of a party in a drunken stupor as being "fun".

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  katrix @2.1.5    4 years ago
Sandy didn't say it was only women who were in the non-drinking or drinking-in-moderation crowd.

Actually, it was rarely the women - never, that I can remember.  It was often a family picnic (which is why the kids were there).  Many of the dads got drunk, and the wives cooked, ran after the kids, cleaned up, and loaded their drunk man-babies into the car to drive home (thankfully).

My ex and I didn't have kids at the time.  I was in the "drink in moderation" crowd, and my ex didn't drink at all.  So we ended up helping with the cooking, cleaning, breaking up of fights between mean drunks, and babysitting, because who else was going to do it?

user image
Freshman Silent
2.1.7    replied to  katrix @2.1.5    4 years ago

Doesn't sound like I would want to last long at your company.

And Sandy did most certainly aim her comment at men specifically. As she confirms in 2.1.6. Just wanted to make sure she knew women enjoy a good drink often as much as men.

I view anybody needing to be helped away from a party "being fun". She was with her husband(who was helping her) and laughing and having a good time. I guess I find that to be fun but I forget the type of people who frequent this site. Nice attempt at trying to turn my comment into some #metoo moment but that was not what I was getting at.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  @2.1.7    4 years ago

I only ever witnessed the men getting that drunk.  But from what I heard, the company VP, who is a woman, had a tendency to get pretty drunk at parties for upper management.  But I never met her, and therefore didn't have to watch her kids.

One can enjoy a drink without being drunk, BTW.  There is a place for moderation.  And those who can't have a good time without being drunk likely are alcoholics.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.10  sandy-2021492  replied to    4 years ago

A friend of mine was asked not to return to a hotel in Virginia Beach.  He was there for a firefighter's convention, and those generally involve a lot of alcohol.  He went back to his room and decided a soak in the bathtub sounded nice, but he was so drunk he fell asleep and didn't turn the faucet off.  The builders hadn't plumbed the overflow drain correctly, so the water flooded his bathroom and caused some water damage to the hotel dining room.  He woke up to find hotel security and management in his room, with him still in the tub butt nekkid.

Funny story, but he eventually quit drinking to avoid losing his wife - she'd had to deal with him drunk too many times, and by his own admission, he could be a mean drunk.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3  Just Jim NC TttH    4 years ago

Well I for one don't drink any more....................Of course I don't drink any less either.

jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
3.1  Sunshine  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3    4 years ago

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
3.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3    4 years ago
Well I for one don't drink any more....................Of course I don't drink any less either.

Too funny!  

BTW, a sense of humor looks good on you.  You should wear it more often.  

Veronica
Professor Guide
4  Veronica    4 years ago

I do like my cocktails - 5 drinks a week???  Oh hell, no.  

user image
Freshman Silent
4.1    replied to  Veronica @4    4 years ago

I think it means 5 drinks on one occasion, as in one sitting. They should probably clarify that more as in within how much time and what kind of alcohol. 5 beers and 5 cocktails are a different story to me.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6  It Is ME    4 years ago

I like a Snoot or two !

"Gin and Tonic"

"Becks Beer"

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    4 years ago

On the other hand, there is research that shows that a single drink a day might be good for you. Not to mention some anecdotal evidence.

105-Year-Old Says Whiskey Is the Secret to His Longevity

The Secret to Living to 112 Years Old is Whisky, Says Oldest Person in Britain

“I started having a nightly tot of it when I turned 50 so I’ve been having it every night for the last 60 years and I certainly have no intention of stopping now,” Jones, who prefers Famous Grouse,  said . “My doctor said ‘keep up with the whisky Grace, it’s good for your heart.’”

Jordan G
Freshman Silent
9  Jordan G    4 years ago
Alcohol kills, weed chills.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jordan G @9    4 years ago

Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker

W. Wonker. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet