╌>

Coronavirus cases surge in China as virus spreads

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  8 comments

By:    Dawn Liu, Eric Baculinao and Isobel van Hagen

Coronavirus cases surge in China as virus spreads
The World Health Organization has warned the virus is a new strain that had not been previously identified in humans.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

PJ
Masters Quiet
2  PJ    4 years ago

I'm not totally surprised because the big outbreaks seem to happen every 3 - 5 years.  What's unusual with this one is the flu season generally kicks off with the influenza A virus but this outbreak appears to be a strain closer to influenza B.   

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
3  1stwarrior    4 years ago

Over 200 infected out of 1.369 BILLION people???  Guess this is gonna be the new Ebola scare, eh?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1  Ronin2  replied to  1stwarrior @3    4 years ago

So long as they keep it contained to just that one area.

If not, it will be far more than just a scare.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Sunshine  replied to  Ronin2 @3.1    4 years ago

First US case of coronavirus reported in Washington state, CDC says The CDC and Washington state officials said the man, a Snohomish County resident in his 30s, was in good condition at Providence Regional Medical Center in Everett. The symptoms presented Sunday, and the diagnosis was confirmed Monday.
Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, called the news "concerning," particularly in light of reports that the virus has begun to spread from person to person.
"The confirmation of human-to-human spread in Asia certainly increases our concern," Messonnier said.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  Freefaller  replied to  Ronin2 @3.1    4 years ago
So long as they keep it contained to just that one area.

Sorry but likely it was worldwide before the first news story reported it's existence

If not, it will be far more than just a scare.

Maybe but I doubt it, just like the Swine flu, SARs etc panics a limited number of elderly, young, weak will catch it and die but the vast majority of people will either never come into contact with it or be strong enough to fight it off.  The in 3 or 4 months the vaccination will come out, people will forget about this virus and move on to the next shiny object.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

I was never concerned about AIDS, Ebola, even SARS, but I have to admit that I'm a little concerned about this one, mainly because of my living here.  Although Chongqing is not close to Wuhan, the biggest holiday travelling in the world is taking place right now because of the Chinese New Year migration.  I don't want to go out to be around a lot of people.