╌>

The White House doubles down on its dumbest impeachment defense

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  54 comments

The trouble, as any historian or constitutional scholar will tell you, is that just as there are crimes the president could commit that would not be impeachable (say, shoplifting a candy bar), there has never been any requirement that impeachment can only be used for violations of criminal law. Not only were the Framers deeply concerned about the potential of the president abusing his office, at the time the Constitution was written, there was no such thing as a federal criminal code.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

JANUARY 20, 2020

AZPGTLR3CYI6VL7CBEHLG63AWE.jpg&w=150 (Ana Ramirez/Austin American-Statesman via AP)

Watching the White House put together its defense of President Trump in the impeachment trial that begins this week, one has to ask: Are they even trying?

After the Democratic House managers released   a 111-page indictment   providing copious detail on the events that led to impeachment, the nature of Trump’s misconduct and the constitutional basis for his removal, Trump’s attorneys responded with a   six-page document   that would have been shocking were it not just the kind of thing we’ve come to expect from this White House.

Indeed, it reads as though it was written by a ninth-grader who saw an episode of “Law & Order” and learned just enough legal terms to throw them around incorrectly. It makes no attempt to contest the facts, instead just asserting over and over that the president is innocent and the entire impeachment is illegitimate, calling it “unlawful” and “constitutionally invalid,” with no apparent understanding of what those terms mean. The articles of impeachment, Trump’s lawyers say, “fail to allege any crime or violation of law whatsoever, let alone ‘high Crimes and Misdemeanors,’ as required by the Constitution.” They then repeat this argument multiple times throughout a screed seemingly pitched to the Fox News hosts who will spend the coming days repeating its absurd claims.

The trouble, as any historian or constitutional scholar   will tell you , is that just as there are crimes the president could commit that would not be impeachable (say, shoplifting a candy bar), there has   never   been any requirement that impeachment can only be used for violations of criminal law. Not only were the Framers deeply concerned about the potential of the president abusing his office, at the time the Constitution was written, there was no such thing as a federal criminal code.

Trump has found the one constitutional “expert” who will take such a position, however: Harvard professor emeritus and frequent Fox News guest Alan Dershowitz, whom Trump added to his defense team last week. “Criminal-like conduct is required” in order for a president to be impeached, Dershowitz now   claims , to the puzzlement of pretty much everyone who knows anything about this topic.

Since hypocrisy is something of a job requirement for working for Trump, Dershowitz is naturally   on video   making exactly the opposite argument in 1998. “It certainly doesn’t have to be a crime if you have somebody who completely corrupts the office of president and who abuses trust and who poses great danger to our liberty,” he said at the time.

To illustrate how foolish the White House’s argument is, let me suggest a few things the president could do that would not violate any criminal statute but that pretty much everyone in both parties would consider grounds for impeachment:

• The president states in a news conference that if Russia wants to invade Alaska, that would be fine with him. Taking the opportunity, Vladimir Putin sends a force across the Bering Sea to occupy the state; the president refuses to deploy U.S. forces to repel them, then says, “To be honest, if anyone’s got their eye on Hawaii, I’m not going to stand in your way.”
  • With a   legal advisory   in hand from the Department of Justice saying that anti-nepotism laws do not apply to the White House staff, the president fires every last member of that staff and replaces them with members of his extended family, including making his 18-year-old nephew, whose only work experience is manning the soft-serve machine at a Dairy Queen, the national security adviser.
  • The president declares that his job has become tedious and says he’ll be spending the rest of his term in the White House residence getting drunk and playing “Grand Theft Auto.”

So why is the White House falling back on this argument when it’s so plainly wrong as a matter of both law and logic? There are a number of explanations. The most obvious is that they know the president is guilty of the central charge driving the impeachment, that he abused his power by trying to coerce a foreign government to help his reelection campaign by discrediting a potential opponent. So the last thing they want to do is argue about the facts of the case, except in the most perfunctory way (“I JUST GOT IMPEACHED FOR MAKING A PERFECT PHONE CALL!” the president   tweeted   last week)

Another reason they might have seized on the “no crime” defense is that despite being completely wrong, it has an intuitive appeal to it. If we’re calling this phase of impeachment a “trial” and the entire process bears some resemblance to a criminal proceeding, then there ought to be a criminal violation, right?

That makes sense as long as you don’t understand the facts or the law — or are willing yourself desperately to ignore them. That describes well Trump’s allies on Fox News and the audience they speak to, which is where his entire strategy is pitched. It’s why he   assembled his legal team   from people he sees frequently on Fox News and why running through all his arguments about impeachment is the false claim that the entire process is illegitimate and can therefore be dismissed out of hand, with as much indignation and whining about unfair treatment as possible.

That logic is also why Republicans will do everything they can to prevent witnesses from testifying in the trial. If you’ve convinced yourself that the process is illegitimate in every way, then at the stage when Republicans have control of it, what’s wrong with turning it into a sham, then shutting it down as quickly as possible?

To return to the question with which I began, it’s not quite that the White House isn’t trying to defend Trump in a serious way. It’s that they’ve decided they don’t really have to.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago
So why is the White House falling back on this argument when it’s so plainly wrong as a matter of both law and logic? There are a number of explanations. The most obvious is that they know the president is guilty of the central charge driving the impeachment, that he abused his power by trying to coerce a foreign government to help his reelection campaign by discrediting a potential opponent. So the last thing they want to do is argue about the facts of the case,

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.1  Larry Hampton  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

Yup. ...and think about it...why would they want to have facts or the truth viewed? It would just blow their case to smithereens. Besides, his core could care less if something is true or not.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Larry Hampton @1.1    4 years ago

Pretty much. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Larry Hampton @1.1    4 years ago

I wonder what Trump has on Alan Dershowitz  that compels Dershowitz to make a fool out of himself on Trump's behalf? 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Larry Hampton @1.1    4 years ago

Yup. ...and think about it...why would they want to have facts or the truth viewed? It would just blow their case to smithereens. Besides, his core could care less if something is true or not.

Which is why they are trying to block and witnesses or evidence in the Senate. 

There are no witnesses that can exonerate him.

There is no evidence that shows anything but thr truth.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.1.4  Larry Hampton  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.2    4 years ago

Dershowitz has managed to Have himself involved in some of the most high profile cases. Perhaps he sees this as his largest and most prominent case yet.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.5  Dulay  replied to  Larry Hampton @1.1.4    4 years ago

In 1998 on Larry King Live, Dershowitz said:

"It certainly doesn't have to be a crime if you have somebody who completely corrupts the office of president and who abuses trust and who poses great danger to our liberty, you don't need a technical crime"

I guess the Constitution has changed somehow from 1998 Dershowitz and 2020 Dershowitz. 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.1.6  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Dulay @1.1.5    4 years ago
I guess the Constitution has changed somehow from 1998 Dershowitz and 2020 Dershowitz.

Lots of things must have changed.

During the 2008 Democratic Party primaries, Dershowitz endorsed Hillary Clinton, calling her "a progressive on social issues, a realist on foreign policy, a pragmatist on the economy".[56] In 2012, he strongly supported Barack Obama's re-election, writing, "President Obama has earned my vote on the basis of his excellent judicial appointments, his consensus-building foreign policy, and the improvements he has brought about in the disastrous economy he inherited."

Of particular interest:

During the 2020 Democratic Party primaries, Dershowitz endorsed Joe Biden. He said: "I'm a strong supporter of Joe Biden. I like Joe Biden. I've liked him for a long time, and I could enthusiastically support Joe Biden."   source

Ain't that a kick in the pants?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.6    4 years ago
Ain't that a kick in the pants.

Not really. Dershowitz is a known avowed Democrat. Always has been. He endorsed Mrs. Clinton in 2008 against Mr. Obama but changed to Mr. Obama after he was the nominee. For him to support a Democrat isn't anything new. He is also a strict proponent of the rule of law and while "liking" the Democrat candidates, he often points out the error of ways on both sides. He doesn't like frivolous abuse of the law.......

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.8  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Dulay @1.1.5    4 years ago
"It certainly doesn't have to be a crime if you have somebody who completely corrupts the office of president and who abuses trust and who poses great danger to our liberty, you don't need a technical crime"

When cornered by his own words, here is his hilarious defense:

“I am much more correct right now, having done more research,” Dershowitz told CNN’s Anderson Cooper on Monday. “I didn’t do the research back then. I wasn’t wrong. I am just far more correct now than I was then.”

The facts in the case are indisputable. Dishonest Donald did abuse the power of the Presidency for his own personal political gain and got caught. Even if the senate refuses to convict (aka remove him from office) everyone will have seen the trial just like they did in one of Dershowitz's other defendants case, OJ Simpson. And, much like that case, even if Trump is let off by the biased Republican senate, the majority of American people know he's guilty and these sad defense arguments like "abuse of power doesn't meet the standard for impeachment" and "if the glove don't fit, you must acquit" nonsense will be seen through. The Republican Senate risks knowingly, willfully siding with an obviously guilty President with only weak process excuses to defend their blatantly obsequious decision. I trust the majority of Americans will see this and punish them for it and will end up handing the Democrats back the majority just like they did in the House in 2018. This is their last hurrah, the old Republican party no longer exists, it has fractured into a fetid pile of disparate parts serving one and only master, dirty dishonest Donald.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.9  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.8    4 years ago

Dershowitz is an egomaniac along the lines of Trump. They probably deserve each other. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.10  Dulay  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.7    4 years ago

Yet and still he is a fucking hypocrite. Anything he says in the Impeachment hearing should be taken with a grain of salt. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.11  Dulay  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.8    4 years ago
“I am much more correct right now, having done more research,” Dershowitz told CNN’s Anderson Cooper on Monday. “I didn’t do the research back then. I wasn’t wrong. I am just far more correct now than I was then.”

So the guy who boasts about clerking for the Appeals and Supreme court and that he is a tenured professor at Harvard law excuses his hypocrisy by claiming that he didn't do the research.

I was mistaken when I thought that Dershowitz's credibility couldn't be more in question.

WOW!

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.3  1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

[deleted]

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    4 years ago
Indeed, it reads as though it was written by a ninth-grader who saw an episode of “Law & Order” and learned just enough legal terms to throw them around incorrectly.

Really? How would you know?

I don't normally go down this road, but since the author brought it up, I think this is a weird accusation for someone who didn't go to law school.

Paul Waldman

Washington, D.C.

Opinion writer covering politicsEducation: Swarthmore College, BA in Political Science; University of Pennsylvania, PhD in CommunicationPaul Waldman is an opinion writer for the Plum Line blog. Before joining The Post, he worked at an advocacy group, edited an online magazine, taught at university and
worked on political campaigns. He has authored or co-authored four books on media and politics, and his work has appeared in dozens of newspapers and magazines. He is also a senior writer at the American Prospect.
I mean if you're going to publish an opinion and accuse someone who is a professional lawyer of misusing legal terms, and do it in a way that implies they lack a proper legal education, I think maybe you should either be a lawyer yourself or produce the definitions you think are being ignored or misused.
Again, I'm not normally someone who approves of demanding credentials before people present their opinions, but I make an exception here because of the way this was done.
Just sayin.
It makes no attempt to contest the facts, instead just asserting over and over that the president is innocent and the entire impeachment is illegitimate
It's pretty common in legal documents for an indictment (or a complaint, if it's a civil case) to be long-winded, and for the plea, defense, or answer, to be a brief and general denial of all or most of the accusations. As I think has been explained many times throughout this process, it is not up to the defense to prove their innocence. It is up to prosecutors and plantiffs to prove guilt. Then, we can start talking about defense.
The articles of impeachment, Trump’s lawyers say, “fail to allege any crime or violation of law whatsoever, let alone ‘high Crimes and Misdemeanors,’ as required by the Constitution.”
Also, very common language. Many cases are dismissed based on little more than the defense pointing out that the complaint fails to state a claim. It might sound nebulous if your legal education comes from Law n Order, but it often takes little more than that.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    4 years ago
let me suggest a few things the president could do that would not violate any criminal statute but that pretty much everyone in both parties would consider grounds for impeachment:

So many people are so full of their own opinion that they just assume everyone else would agree with them. It's pretty arrogant, and it's usually untrue.

Looking at these three examples:

Taking the opportunity, Vladimir Putin sends a force across the Bering Sea to occupy the state; the president refuses to deploy U.S. forces to repel them, then says, “To be honest, if anyone’s got their eye on Hawaii, I’m not going to stand in your way.”

Wrong. That would actually be treason (in the form of giving aid and comfort to someone levying war against the United States) which is specifically impeachable by the Constitution.

the president fires every last member of that staff and replaces them with members of his extended family, including making his 18-year-old nephew, whose only work experience is manning the soft-serve machine at a Dairy Queen, the national security adviser

That might be a shitty idea, but as long as they go through the usual security background checks or senate approval (where required), it wouldn't be impeachable. I don't think there is a lot of support out there for the idea that any president should ever have been impeached for his choices of staff.

The president declares that his job has become tedious and says he’ll be spending the rest of his term in the White House residence getting drunk and playing “Grand Theft Auto.

Presidents already drink and play golf. No one (with any sense) ever says they should be impeached for it. What's the difference? The founders debated the inclusion of "maladministration" as a ground for impeachment, but ultimately rejected it, substituting "other high crimes and misdemeanors." They decided that an election every four years would be a sufficient protection against this problem. This, according to Madison's notes on the proceedings .

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @3    4 years ago
Taking the opportunity, Vladimir Putin sends a force across the Bering Sea to occupy the state; the president refuses to deploy U.S. forces to repel them, then says, “To be honest, if anyone’s got their eye on Hawaii, I’m not going to stand in your way.”

Where is the treason?  Where is the war? The hypothetical doesnt describe war, it describes a president giving Alaska to Russia. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    4 years ago

The fact is , "abuse of power" does not necessarily need a crime.  Dershowitz and Trump are barking up the wrong tree. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1.2  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    4 years ago
it describes a president giving Alaska to Russia

No it doesn't. It's not his to "give." Instead, it describes an invasion and cooperation with that invasion. That's treason. Remember, that the premise is that these are impeachable things that aren't actually against the law. The scenario describes a violation of law.

Where is the war?

I can't believe I dignify such disingenuousness with a reply.

Vladimir Putin sends a force across the Bering Sea to occupy the state

US Code defines treason:

Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @3.1.2    4 years ago

The hypothetical says the president does not order US troops to deploy.   I think the writer is trying to make a point, but if it makes you feel better to act as if your disagreement with the hypothetical renders the entire premise inoperative, knock yourself out. 

The truth is that abuse of power does not have to be based on a violation of law, period, end of story. 

If you want to go down with the ship on that one, thats your choice. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1.4  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.3    4 years ago
If you want to go down with the ship on that one

What one? Your change of subject? Your movement of goalposts? Delude yourself. It won't work on me.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.5  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @3.1.2    4 years ago
No it doesn't. It's not his to "give."

Neither are the funds for the 2019 Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative or the FMF. Nor is it his to TAKE. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1.6  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @3.1.5    4 years ago

Ah, someone else wants to change the subject. Ok.

Neither are the funds for the 2019 Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative or the FMF.

Actually he does have broad discretion as to how and when precisely the assistance is distributed.

Nor is it his to TAKE. 

He hasn't taken anything. You may relax.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.7  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @3.1.6    4 years ago

I didn't 'change the subject, I elaborated on an existing one. 

Actually he does have broad discretion as to how and when precisely the assistance is distributed.

Sure, as long as he informs the Congress and gets their okay. Other than that, no so much. 

The Congress passed the Impoundment Control Act to preclude the POTUS from using the 'broad discretion' you pretend exists. Perhaps you should READ the act and then READ the GAO decision stating that Trump unlawfully ordered the OMB to violate that law. 

Oh and Trump DID take over 30 million from Ukraine and only through an act of Congress was it allocated though it STILL hasn't reached Ukraine. 

FAIL. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1.8  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @3.1.7    4 years ago
I didn't 'change the subject, I elaborated on an existing one.

Before you happened by, the exchange was about an analysis of hypothetical examples of how a president could be impeached for things that aren't violations of statute.

Since neither John nor I had said anything about the distribution of aid, you were changing the subject.

I don't care. I just acknowledged it. It's not really necessary for you to be defensive or in denial about it. At least I responded to it. You're welcome.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5  igknorantzrulz    4 years ago

What a complete fckn embarrassing joke this has even further escalated into.

Who needs witnesses and evidence to determine if there is merit in a case as trivial as the IMPEACHMENT OF THE POTUS !

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6  igknorantzrulz    4 years ago

For once, i can watch Fox 'news' and get some truth for morev than a few seconds at a time

lib50
Professor Silent
6.1  lib50  replied to  igknorantzrulz @6    4 years ago

Not if you were watching 'The Five'.  They didn't have the balls to show the hearing at all except as a small box (no sound) in the corner.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  lib50 @6.1    4 years ago
They didn't have the balls to show the hearing at all except as a small box (no sound) in the corner.

Does it really take balls to show it? Sounds more like an entertainment decision for the audience. Most of these speeches are so boring, I wouldn't blame them for putting it in the corner.

lib50
Professor Silent
6.1.2  lib50  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.1    4 years ago

Of course republicans don't want their sheeple to hear anything but their lies and spin, the truth is just too much for them to handle.   They must have pretty short attention spans.  At least the Americans who do have a functioning brain are hearing the truth about Trumps abuses. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  lib50 @6.1.2    4 years ago

Nope. No one's afraid. It's just boring and stupid. Plus, there are other things happening in the world.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
7  livefreeordie    4 years ago

What the facts demonstrate is that the president's defense team should move for dismissal immediately following opening arguments.  the Democrats continue to demonstrate that they are enemies of this Republic.

Not one Republican Senator including lefty Romney will vote for the impeachment.

lib50
Professor Silent
7.1  lib50  replied to  livefreeordie @7    4 years ago

And when Trump goes off the rails after he knows he has no check and balance, the entire gop will own every single word and action.  Buckle up.