╌>

The Democrats are winning the argument

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  98 comments

The Democrats are winning the argument
Trump’s lawyers were far worse. They played a bad hand badly. Admittedly, they are handicapped by the inescapable reality that their client is guilty as sin.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Their only defense on the merits is to claim that the president wasn’t concerned with smearing a Democratic rival but with fighting corruption. But that’s an absurd argument to make given that Trump never mentioned fighting corruption in general during his two phone calls with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky — and given that, as my Post colleague Catherine Rampell  notes , he is trying to legalize bribery by American companies.

The Democrats are winning the argument even though they’ll lose the Senate trial

JANUARY 22, 2020

The beginning of the impeachment trial of President Trump made clear that Democrats have not only the stronger arguments but also the stronger arguers. The House impeachment managers did a masterful job on Tuesday of marshaling the evidence to argue that the Senate needs to hold a real trial complete with witnesses — something that, as they pointed out, has occurred in every previous impeachment trial in history. But knowing they may be stymied by a Senate majority intent on holding a show trial, they made their substantive arguments from the start — and they did so in a way that is likely to convince most voters if not most senators.

The impeachment managers especially shined during impromptu rebuttals. Former assistant attorney general Walter Dellinger joined  a chorus of praise  for Rep. Adam B. Schiff (D-Calif.): “Schiff is not just good. Today is one of the most impressive performances by a lawyer I have ever seen.” But dazzling as Schiff was, he may have been matched by Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.). Responding to Trump lawyer Jay Sekulow’s question “Why are we here?”, Jeffries put on a master class in forensics. “We are here, sir, because President Trump corruptly abused his power and then he tried to cover it up,” he  said , concluding with a quote from The Notorious B.I.G.: “And if you don’t know, now you know.” The  only stumble  so far was Rep. Jerrold Nadler’s (D-N.Y.) impolitic accusation that Republican senators were guilty of a “treacherous vote” and a “shameful coverup.” Even some Democratic senators said he had gone too far.

Trump’s lawyers were far worse. They played a bad hand badly. Admittedly, they are handicapped by the inescapable reality that their client is guilty as sin. They can’t seriously dispute that Trump wanted Ukraine to investigate former vice president Joe Biden — the president  said as much  from the White House lawn. They can’t even dispute that Trump held up military aid to Ukraine to pressure its government into doing what he wanted. Their only defense on the merits is to claim that the president wasn’t concerned with smearing a Democratic rival but with fighting corruption. But that’s an absurd argument to make given that Trump never mentioned fighting corruption in general during his two phone calls with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky — and given that, as my Post colleague Catherine Rampell  notes , he is trying to legalize bribery by American companies.

Still, Johnnie Cochran showed during the  O.J. Simpson trial  that it is possible to be effective even when the facts are not on your side. You don’t have to resort to outright lying as the president’s lawyers did.

White House Counsel Pat Cipollone  claimed  on Tuesday that “Not even Mr. Schiff’s Republican colleagues were allowed into the SCIF” — referring to the Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility in which the House Intelligence Committee conducted depositions of witnesses. False. The 48 Republican members of the three committees involved in impeachment proceedings had access to the basement SCIF.

Cipollone also  repeated  the absurd claim that Schiff “manufactured a false version” of the July 25 call between Trump and Zelensky. False. Schiff did not deceive anyone about a partial transcript that had already been made public. Schiff said at the time, “Shorn of its rambling character and in not so many words, this is the essence of what the president communicates.”

Making his own contribution to this blizzard of bunkum, Sekulow  claimed  that “the president was denied the right to cross-examine witnesses … denied the right to access evidence … and denied the right to have counsel present at hearings. That’s a trifecta, a trifecta that violates the Constitution of the United States.” False. The president was offered a chance to have his lawyers participate in House proceedings and declined to take it.

Sekulow  also claimed  that the Mueller report exonerated Trump of obstruction of justice. False. The report showed that the elements of obstruction were present.

But these are relatively inconsequential whoppers compared with the biggest lie of all. This is the oft-repeated claim that a president can only be impeached for breaking the law — not for abuse of office. Not even Jonathan Turley, the star Republican witness during the House Judiciary Committee’s impeachment hearing, is buying it. He  wrote  in Wednesday’s edition of The Post: “It is a view that is at odds with history and the purpose of the Constitution. While Framers did not want terms such as ‘maladministration’ in the standard as dangerously too broad, they often spoke of impeachable conduct in noncriminal terms.” Many of the president’s defenders, including his lawyer  Alan Dershowitz  and  Attorney General William P. Barr , have made similar arguments in the past. They have only taken the contrary position today because it is more politically convenient to embrace a lie than to grapple with the terrible truth.

It should be no surprise that the lawyers representing a president who has made more than  16,241 false statements  since taking office should resort to their own lies — and it won’t matter for the president’s die-hard supporters. The  Fifth Avenue Republicans  will back Trump no matter what. But a recent  CNN poll  found that 51 percent of Americans think Trump should be convicted and 58 percent think he abused his power. The transparently false arguments by Trump lawyers will not convince those majorities that they are wrong. The Trump team will win an acquittal in the Senate no matter how badly they argue but, on the present trajectory, they won’t win in the court of public opinion.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

The facts arent good for Trump. 

Can his army of trumpsters hold up under the strain? 

lib50
Professor Silent
1.1  lib50  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

Obviously not, take a look at Fox, they are presenting the defense instead of showing the hearing.  They don't want their stooges to hear the truth.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

Only in your dreams!

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
2  livefreeordie    4 years ago

laughable.  What the facts demonstrate is that the president's defense team should move for dismissal immediately following opening arguments.  the Democrats continue to demonstrate that they are enemies of this Republic.

Not one Republican Senator including lefty Romney will vote for the impeachment.

lib50
Professor Silent
2.1  lib50  replied to  livefreeordie @2    4 years ago

Fox must think its pretty bad for them if they don't have the balls to SHOW THE HEARING!

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.1.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.2    4 years ago

Why listen to the blathering of the left when they have NO FACTUAL BASIS for the sham they're perpetrating on the American people.

no factual basis....pfft

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  lib50 @2.1    4 years ago

What are they showing?  I dont have Fox News Channel anymore. 

lib50
Professor Silent
2.1.5  lib50  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.4    4 years ago

Bret Baier is showing the hearing.   'The five' show showed endless commercials and their defense of Trump and why dems are so unfair.  Not a bit of the hearing except the picture box in the corner.  Whining about the hearings. 

lib50
Professor Silent
2.1.6  lib50  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.2    4 years ago

Keep 'em ignorant.  Gop motto.

lib50
Professor Silent
2.1.11  lib50  replied to  dennis smith @2.1.9    4 years ago

I guess this is proof Fox isn't a news station (as if we needed that).  Only one reason they don't show it, and that is because they don't want their idiot viewers to hear anything but their propaganda and Trump defense.   Because they don't want to hear the facts.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.12  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  lib50 @2.1.11    4 years ago
I guess this is proof Fox isn't a news station (as if we needed that).  Only one reason they don't show it, and that is because they don't want their idiot viewers to hear anything but their propaganda and Trump defense. 

In a nut shell, 8-10 hours of blabbering bullshit isn't worth their time. All the other outlets are covering it with bated breath hoping the way that you do for the outcome. Someone has to go beyond the madness that is............

Some people have better things to do with their time than sit in front of a TV watching a bunch of pompous assed elitist fools crying over an election. And the thing I find hilarious, other than Chuck's performance this morning and Schiff all the way through with his little buddy Nadler, when the smoke all clears, the "trial" (snicker) is done is the fact that he will still be referred to, after his second term and into a well deserved retirement, as Former President Donald Trump. Just like all the rest. Including Former President  Richard Millhouse Nixon.

hahaHAHA HAHAHA

lib50
Professor Silent
2.1.14  lib50  replied to  dennis smith @2.1.13    4 years ago

No, you are projecting again.   These are my talking points. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.16  Tessylo  replied to    4 years ago

That would be your comments MUVA

lib50
Professor Silent
2.1.18  lib50  replied to    4 years ago

Well, muv, interesting that Fox is now showing the defense side of the hearings!  They didn't have the balls to allow their sheeple to hear the dems presentation, but they are making sure they put the defense on.  (Rather pathetic defense so far).  Fox must really think their viewers are morons.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.20  It Is ME  replied to  lib50 @2.1.18    4 years ago
Well, muv, interesting that Fox is now showing the defense side of the hearings!  They didn't have the balls to allow their sheeple to hear the dems presentation

WTF are you talking about ? jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Fox Showed ALL the Dem managers Rantings !

I had to tune to FOX, because the "Lefty" shows kept interrupting with "Self" indulgent "Opinions" of what they heard.

I wanted to hear everything discussed from start to finish, with no interruption. 

I'm WIERD THAT WAY ! jrSmiley_99_smiley_image.jpg

Thus...."FOX" was the place to be. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.22  It Is ME  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.21    4 years ago
Actually, on day three.... even FOX had enough and put the proceedings in a corner box.

True. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Still MUCH BETTER than the other shows, where the left had a need to feed in "Opinion", to further the Dem managers Prosecution. jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

I had a hard time staying awake those days of "Innuendo and Conjecture" from the Dem managers ! jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

lib50
Professor Silent
2.1.23  lib50  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.20    4 years ago

SENATE IMPEACHMENT HEARINGS.  Can't deny they stopped their sheeple from seeing the dems present their case.  Guess what they are currently showing without interruption?  Baaaaa

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.26  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.19    4 years ago

Funny Pam Bondi not mentioning she was making twice as much per month as Hunter from Qatar for no apparent reason.

"Bondi registered in July under FARA — Foreign Agents Registration Act — as a part-time, $115,000-per-month lobbyist for Qatar." https:// palmbeachpost.com/news/20191111/ cerabino-keeping-america-and-qatar-great-floridarsquos-bondi-is-slave-to-task

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.27  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.26    4 years ago

What are the chances Bondi got this "job" from Qatar because she is a friend of Trump? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.30  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.28    4 years ago
What are the chances Bondi got this "job" from Qatar because she is a friend of Trump? 

What are the chances Bondi got this "job" from Qatar because she is a friend of Trump?  95% or 100% ?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.31  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.30    4 years ago

Is Bondi Pence's kid?

If you have problems with this, you must be really upset about the incredibly unqualified Roger Clinton, I mean Hunter Biden, taking the job from Burisma.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.33  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.29    4 years ago

Huh? 

lib50
Professor Silent
2.1.34  lib50  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.25    4 years ago

Yea, just saw that,  for about a hot minute.  Compare the coverage from last week, I dare you.

lib50
Professor Silent
2.1.37  lib50  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.36    4 years ago

Fox did NOT have the full hearings on last week.  Didn't even show closing statement.  I don't know what you were watching.  The 5?  Hannity?  Tucker?  Even when I thought they started showing hearings full on Bret Baier's show they weren't. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  livefreeordie @2    4 years ago

I am betting that some of his own are turning knowing that their careers are on the line and that Trump is not worth loosing their paychecks over.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2.1  Ronin2  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.2    4 years ago

They will lose their paychecks anyways. If they turn on Trump they will be either have strong primary opponents; or not have the voter support to win in the general elections. Even Mitt Romney is starting to see the light.

Funny how the left can support Bill Clinton, who was guilty as sin and deserved to be removed from office; but expect Trump to be impeached based on second and third hand information. When not one of the damn "witnesses" stated he broke any laws.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2.2  Dulay  replied to  Ronin2 @2.2.1    4 years ago
When not one of the damn "witnesses" stated he broke any laws.

So you're drinking the Dershowitz koolaid. 

jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @2.2.1    4 years ago
I'm sorry if the Trump spawn weren't born with the name Trump, Eric would be parking cars, Junior would be selling watches in Times Square and Ivanka would be working the Clinique counter at the Macys in Paramus.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.5  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @2.2.4    4 years ago

The question isnt if they are worthy jobs, it is if the Trump spawn would think so. 

lib50
Professor Silent
2.2.6  lib50  replied to  XDm9mm @2.2.4    4 years ago
There is nothing wrong with any of those jobs.   Maybe you should think about all the people you just denigrated

Maybe Trumpers should think about that when they are lying about the Bidens.  Want to talk about political spawn and their jobs?  Bring it on.  Just stop with the freaking hypocrisy and lies.

lib50
Professor Silent
2.2.9  lib50  replied to  XDm9mm @2.2.8    4 years ago
Joe got the Ukrainian prosecutor investigating Burisma fired

And THAT IS A LIE.  We are all so sick and tired of hearing that LIE.  Biden didn't 'get him fired'.  He was tasked by the US government and our allies to have Ukraine remove the corrupt prosecutor who had stopped investigating corruption, including into Burisma, which was NOT being investigated at the time.   And Hunter Biden was a political spawn getting a high paying job due to his birth.  Just like fucking Trump spawn, Paul spawn, Kennedy spawn.......He isn't accused of anything except taking that job.  If you don't know its a lie, not surprised since gopers are repeating it ad nauseam.  But it is.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2.11  Dulay  replied to  XDm9mm @2.2.8    4 years ago
What lies about the Bidens?   Hunter did work for a corrupt Ukraine oligarch being investigated by numerous entities including the British

The British were NOT investigating Zlochevskyi, they were petitioned to freeze his funds by the Ukrainians. They did so pending a hearing and after Shorkin FAILED to submit ANY evidence for their allegation, the British released the funds. 

In short, Shorkin's incompetence and/or corruption cost the Ukrainians 20+ millions if the allegations against Zlochevskyi are true. 

THOSE are the fucking facts.

But ya, Trump's opinion that Shorkin was a 'very fine prosecutor' should void all of that right? 

and Joe got the Ukrainian prosecutor investigating Burisma fired. 
Thems the facts.  Period.  End of story.

If Sorkin was investigating Burisma, WHY didn't he provide the UK with EVIDENCE to retain the hold on the funds they froze?

Come on XD, you've got the facts right? Let's hear them.

The UK SFO was begging for some EVIDENCE, Sorkin had MONTHS to provide that EVIDENCE, the SFO got NONE. That's in contrast to VOLUMES of evidence provided by Zlochevskyi documenting where his business permits came from, where his income came from and the taxes that he paid on that income. 

Oh you knew this was all about an allegation that Zlochevskyi failed to pay taxes on his income right? 

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    4 years ago

It takes a lot of gall for Trump's no good lousy lawyers to lie through their crooked teeth right in front of the American People, the whole US Senate and the frigging Chief Justice of the United States. Don't they realize everyone who is watching knows? They are Shameless! Absolutely Shameless...

History will be unkind to the damn gop for all of this!

After all is said and done truth will always come out...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

Per the morning consult poll, support for impeachment has dropped 5% since the partisan House vote.

Keep winning like that  and you will ensure 4 more years of Trump

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    4 years ago

This impeachment proceeding is a chance, probably the last chance,  for the Republicans and conservatives of this country to come to their senses. 

Dump Trump and pick another candidate at your summer convention. 

We can give the Trump voters from 2016 a mulligan and let them correct their mistake. 

If they actually try to put this incredibly guilty and worthless man back into power in this country, it is hard to see anything but outright national disaster ahead. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    4 years ago

We are quickly becoming a pariah to our once allies and I don't blame them for turning their backs on us.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
5  The Magic 8 Ball    4 years ago
The Democrats Are Winning The Argument

heard that one before also...

when trump is re-elected democrats will be screaming at the sky again.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1  JBB  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @5    4 years ago

Hopefully when Trump gets a historic whooping this Fall Trump and Trumpism will pass peacefully into being an unfortunate footnote in American history. A cautionary tale future generations will look back on like slavery, the Civil War and Mccarthyism in utter disbelief that such travesties and rank corruption could ever be allowed to infect the American body politic. Something we survived together and are thus dedicated to never let happen ever again. NEVER AGAIN!

Hopefully it will end peaceably within the next year...

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
5.1.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  JBB @5.1    4 years ago
Hopefully when Trump gets a historic whooping this Fall

keep dreaming.. LOL

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @5.1.1    4 years ago

You're so WHACK!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6  It Is ME    4 years ago

"The beginning of the impeachment trial of President Trump made clear that Democrats have not only the stronger arguments but also the stronger arguers. The House impeachment managers did a masterful job on Tuesday of marshaling the evidence to argue that the Senate needs to hold a real trial complete with witnesses"

Give it time. jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

The "Defense" has 24 hrs of "Talk Time" too. The first 24 hrs., will be "Forgotten" after that ! jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.1  Ronin2  replied to  It Is ME @6    4 years ago

Same BS different day.

Dems contending the fact that the Defense team is quiet for the House's opening arguments proves they know Trump is guilty.

The only thing they have laid out is the same bad arguments they used to impeach. Witnesses with second and third hand information in closed door testimony, with the Dems leaking only things they found damaging to influence public opinion. They need to be reminded a thousand times it seems that it was the House's job to investigate. The fact they rushed impeachment w/o "key" witnesses testifying proves they are full of it. If they were really concerned about justice, and the truth, they would have gone through the courts and waited for the decisions to be reached on allowing those they wanted to testify.

They didn't have shit, so took the easy way out; and now expect the Republican Senate to bail their dumb asses out.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Ronin2 @6.1    4 years ago
The only thing they have laid out is the same bad arguments they used to impeach.

In a more "Emotional" Form than before ! jrSmiley_54_smiley_image.gif

Fit's with their "I have a FEELING" witness's they brought forth, touting their testimonies as..... fact ! jrSmiley_99_smiley_image.jpg

Now they're on TV, "Crying" how the Senate....."MUST FIX THIER FUCKUP".....before the next presidential election ! jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME @6.1.1    4 years ago

jrSmiley_99_smiley_image.jpg jrSmiley_20_smiley_image.gif IMG_8494.JPG

jrSmiley_54_smiley_image.gif DSC_0009.JPG

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7  MrFrost    4 years ago

Fox News' top legal analyst Judge Napolitano: "What is required for removal of the president? A demonstration of presidential commission of high crimes and misdemeanors, of which in Trump's case the evidence is ample and uncontradicted."

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8  Mark in Wyoming     4 years ago

sorry but im streaming the proceedings on CBSN, and they have not been interrupting with commentary during the proceedings.

and way I see it we are in day 3, 2 days of the managers presenting their case, and still have to hear from the other side .

who will be winning or losing will be told when it comes time for that roll call vote.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
9  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

Per ABC, Trump just his highest approval rating of his Presidency.  Americans are now happier with the country that at any point since 2005.

Keep "winning" Democrats