╌>

Christian Nationalists Are Drafting Legislation for State Republicans: Report

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  larry-hampton  •  4 years ago  •  64 comments

Christian Nationalists Are Drafting Legislation for State Republicans: Report
According to the report, Christian nationalist groups have concocted a legal strategy called Project Blitz designed to get anti-LGBTQ, anti-choice bills before state legislatures.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Though Democrats have regained significant ground on the state level since the  2016 election , state legislation is still largely a Republican game, with the GOP in charge of  21 trifectas , in addition to eight more GOP-controlled legislatures. Within this red empire, Christian nationalists — who believe the United States was founded as a Christian nation and consider the separation of church and state to be a  fraud  — are exerting substantial pressure by drafting legislation for friendly lawmakers, according to  Sludge , an investigative outlet covering lobbying and money in politics.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1  seeder  Larry Hampton    4 years ago

The Project Blitz handbook is split into three categories, based on the level of pushback a prospective bill might place:

The first category, intended to appear the most innocuous, included bills to promote “In God We Trust” license plates (now offered in at least  20 states ) and the display of the “In God We Trust” motto in public schools. (Some version of the display legislation has passed in at least  10 states .) The next batch of bills centered on emphasizing “Christian heritage” and “the importance of the Bible in history” to promote the notion that the U.S. is a Christian nation. The third category, which organizers noted might be “the most hotly contested,” sought to empower licensed professionals to deny health care and other services based on religious beliefs and to enable adoption agencies to reject adoptive families on religious grounds. ( At least 10  states have laws that allow discrimination by child welfare agencies, most of which have been passed since Project Blitz launched in 2015.)

All this is minor — though more effective in the long haul effort of turning the U.S. into a theocracy — compared to the rhetoric of  Matt Shea , the former chair of the Republican caucus in Washington’s state legislature. A far-right legislator, Shea developed a plan for Eastern Washington to secede and become a conservative theocracy known as “Liberty State,” and helped plot and promote “a total of three armed conflicts of political violence against the United States Government in three states outside the state of Washington over a three-year period,” according to a report commissioned by Washington’s House of Representatives.

Though Shea is an outlying example, members of the Trump administration are doing their part through official channels to theocratize the federal government with a level of influence Project Blitz could only dream of. Last year, Pompeo’s State Department founded an  affinity group  featuring evangelical speakers and focusing on “how being a disciple of Christ impacts your professional experience at the State Department.” Meanwhile, Vice-President Mike Pence has worked to  undermine  the Department of Health and Human Services, which is responsible for the government funding of Planned Parenthood. Together, they are a formidable team  aligning  American foreign policy with  evangelical eschatology .

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Larry Hampton @1    4 years ago

....Among the worst Never Trumpers are the sanctimonious pinhead academics. They’ll always have a reason in the corner of some treatise or textbook they wrote to prove Trump is Mussolini. They are at once laughable but also pathetic because their audience is mostly confined to captive students and fellow professors.

They form pop-up outrage websites with sanctimonious names: Checks and Balances. The Lincoln Project. The Bulwark.

The media, also full of hatred for Trump, portray them as genuine conservatives even though many of us know better and know of their sabotage of conservative initiatives during the Bush madministration.

We remember their aggressive efforts to dilute opposition to race-based preferences, their insistence on excessive restraint in reversing or even curtailing new environmental regulations, and their obsession with subordinating conservative principles to racial diversity in judicial appointments. So many of today's most outspoken Never Trumpers are afraid of not being invited to the coolest cocktail hours or not being embraced by the federal establishment that is so integral to the swamp.

Yet it seems Never Trumpers don’t get out much in the real world. When you drive through parts of post-industrial America, you see Trump flags flying in suburban neighborhoods. You see the word “Trump” painted on the side of buildings and barns. It’s shocking, frankly, and I’ve never seen anything like it in my lifetime. This happens in places like Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

Maybe the Never Trumpers don’t like to associate with so many folks who didn’t graduate from Yale.

But the March for Life was a watershed moment — not only for Trump but any Republican foes remaining.

The Never Trumpers first told us in 2016 that Trump was a Manhattan liberal. Then they told us he really wouldn’t pick good judges. Then they told us he really wouldn’t deregulate the economy. They told us he really wouldn’t be on the right side of race, voting, and culture. They told us he would start World War Three. They told us Trump really wouldn’t enact pro-life policies....

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.1.1  katrix  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1    4 years ago
But the March for Life was a watershed moment — not only for Trump but any Republican foes remaining.

Trump isn't against abortion - it's just that he'll pretend to be whatever he thinks will get his base fired up.

Among the worst Never Trumpers are the sanctimonious pinhead academics

It doesn't surprise me that you dislike intelligence.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  katrix @1.1.1    4 years ago

I watched a few minutes of that 'March for Life' over the weekend.  What a waste of time.  There weren't that many people there.  Just standing around for a long time while music played and morons were lining up on stage to speak.  I don't know how much time the 'president' spoke to these people, but I can't imagine it was for very long.  

Just playing to his base who believe the lies.

I saw something in the National Review which said that democrats support abortion up to 9 months.  What a crock of shit.  tRump supporters parrot that same nonsense everywhere.  There is one poster here that regurgitates that shit everywhere.  Just like the 'president' who promotes those lies and his base believes it and repeats it ad nauseum.  

It's only supported when the fetus is not viable or the life of the mother is in danger.  

Pro-life my ass.  

'It doesn't surprise me that you dislike intelligence.'

They sneer at the educated.

You know what tRump said, 'I love the poorly educated'

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.2    4 years ago

Oh yeah, and Mike Prick Pence and mother spoke to the anti-choice, can't mind their own business, crowd, via video.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.4  Gordy327  replied to  katrix @1.1.1    4 years ago

You have to admit, Trump knows how to play the fan base and the fan base knows how to be played.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.1.5  katrix  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.4    4 years ago

Sad but true. It's astonishing how easy it is to trigger his base.

Of course, that's why he loves the poorly educated; and those poor fools took his comment as a compliment rather than an insult.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  katrix @1.1.5    4 years ago

Do Democrats not love the poorly educated, which makes up a large part of their base, anymore?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Sean Treacy  replied to  katrix @1.1.5    4 years ago
hat's why he loves the poorly educated; and those poor fools took his comment as a compliment rather than an insult.

64% of high school dropouts voted Democratic,

Who do you think give democrats their 90% margins in inner cities? Doctoral candidates living in slums?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.7    4 years ago

So of course you have statistics to back that up, right?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.9  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.7    4 years ago
64% of high school dropouts voted Democratic,

all that says, is 64% of high school dropouts, voted in, most likely, their own best interests.

Perhaps some others might want to try , voting in their own best interests, say instead of those of the uber wealthy.

As i've many times stated, i'm self uneducated,thus why i vote independent, as i am, not just of logic and reason either.

What would you hold against high school dropouts ?

School is not for everyone, as this, i know first hand.

If you have a college degree, according to some recent polls, you probably want Trump removed.

i have no degree that which registers on the Fahrenheit scale, but i reach boiling points way ahead of most. An education means not much, if one is not capable of critical thinking, in my opine, but, we know that carries no weight with many here, my opine, of course is that which i refer to.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Sean Treacy  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.8    4 years ago

Sure. Look up the splits for high school dropout voting rates.

Take the 16th ward in Chicago, with a higher murder rate than El Salvador,  voted 95.9% for Hillary Clinton. 

What names do you call the residents of areas like Englwood? Do you make fun of their lack of education? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.11  Sean Treacy  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1.9    4 years ago
What would you hold against high school dropouts ?

I don't hold anything against them.  Your fellow travelers like to insult the less educated, call them fools and such. Say you shouldn't love them because they aren't educated.  Not me. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.12  Tessylo  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.10    4 years ago

I asked for statistics and you give me one section of Chicago?

Other than that, I have no idea what you're talking about.  

It appears to some tRump supporters that ignorance is bliss.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.13  Tessylo  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.11    4 years ago
'Your fellow travelers like to insult the less educated, call them fools and such.'

When the shoe fits.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.14  Sean Treacy  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.13    4 years ago

[deleted]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.15  Sean Treacy  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.12    4 years ago
tatistics and you give me one section of Chicago?

Please pay attention. 

Englewood is one of the inner city areas I mentioned that gave Clinton a 90% majority.

I can't make it any simpler for you. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.16  Tessylo  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.15    4 years ago

Obviously you have no answer and no statistics to back up your claim.

Got it!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.17  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.6    4 years ago

pretty sure she was referring to willfully ignorant thumpers, as opposed to those people with a willingness to learn, but victimized by public education funding problems. problems usually created by willfully ignorant thumpers thru a religious cult caucus in congress and senate in order to trash the Dept.of Ed, public education, and educators in general. for the sole purpose of forcing children into radical xtian madrasas as their only educational choice. as long as mom and dad can write a big check along with that voucher. taxpayer money to a tax exempt religious business that would use some of those profits to buy the protection of legislators, all while continuing to launder tax exempt dark money for the RNC.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.18  Tessylo  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1.9    4 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.19  Tessylo  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.15    4 years ago

So you're from Englewood?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.20  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.17    4 years ago
pretty sure she was referring to willfully ignorant thumpers,

You may be sure, but that certainly wasn't what she wrote.

Do you always try to interpret remarks while ignoring the actual words written?

I mean, I know you do that to many of my posts. It is lazy and dishonest.

I guess the best I can do is call you consistent in that regard.

jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.21  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.1.17    4 years ago

I'm pretty sure you're correct devangelical.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.22  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.7    4 years ago

Sean,

I am not sure where you get your information from, but this is from the Pew:

Turns out that the indies are the most overall educated then followed by the Dems. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.23  Tessylo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.22    4 years ago

Thanks for the truth/facts Perrie.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.24  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.22    4 years ago

That doesn't address anything I wrote.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.25  Tessylo  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.24    4 years ago

Of course it does.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.26  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.2    4 years ago

The arrogance, the dismissiveness, the smug cackling, the accents.

If Donald Trump wins re-election this year, I’ll remember this brief CNN segment late one Saturday night in January as the perfect encapsulation for why it happened.

6,470 people are talking about th

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.27  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.3    4 years ago

Well we all knew how the pro abortion crowd would respond to our fine annual event.  I really appreciated the bi partisan nature of our event unlike the other women’s march the prior week.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.28  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.27    4 years ago

What are you talking about?

What does it have to do with this?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.29  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.28    4 years ago

thumper seed confusion

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

So much for limited government.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    4 years ago

Indeed. Are there any 2 words scarier when put together than "Christian Nationalist?"

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1    4 years ago
Are there any 2 words scarier when put together than "Christian Nationalist?"

Of course.

"Liberal plan".

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1    4 years ago

Secular progressive 

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1    4 years ago

bible thumper

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1    4 years ago

No, there isn't. Those people don't want you to have rights that you would like to have, like the choice of religion. That's the biggie right there. Once the separation of church and state has been erased The Handmaid's Tale won't be a work of fiction any longer.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.5  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1    4 years ago

I think any combination of "religious extremist" "Islamic terrorist", "Christian terrorist", "white nationalist" or "white supremacist" rank right up there alongside "Christian Nationalist" in what rational humans recognize they should avoid and fear. All are descriptions of unhinged lunatics willing to use violence to force their sick ideology on those around them.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.6  Gordy327  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.5    4 years ago

Don't forget dominionist.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.7  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.2    4 years ago

Oh yeah, those secular progressives are coming to get you and take away your religious rights. Better hide under your bed. >sarc <

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    4 years ago

Because discrimination against LGTB persons regarding housing and employment is only legal in thirty states?

Because making abortions illegal or just extremely hard to get does one thing to reduce the demand for termination services?

Get outta here!

And, rightwings have the gall to say I am hyperbolic when I say that the freedoms we enjoy are in peril? When I say that the survival of our Republic is in jeopardy? That our Constitution is at risk?

Trumpism is dangerous to The American Way.

That is not a question!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4  MrFrost    4 years ago

Yet another reason churches should lose their tax exempt status. 

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    4 years ago

Oklahoma's Senior US Senator James Mountain "Jack" Inhofe helped "Christian" legislators in Uganda draft their "Kill The Gays" legislation. Jack Inhofe was doing his part to spread God's word. Gag! So, "Praise  the Lord and pass the reelection plate!"

Eighty year olde Inhofe is running for reelection and his is considered a 100% safe seat for the gop. "Oklahoma - Buckle of the Bible Belt", they say...

They also say Jesus Crist abhorres Jack Inhofe /s.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1  JBB  replied to  JBB @5    4 years ago

Actually, Inhofe is EIGHTY FIVE YEARS OLDE!

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6  bbl-1    4 years ago

Well, at least the MAGA folk are being up front about this. 

Jordan G
Freshman Silent
7  Jordan G    4 years ago

Its Obvious these folks believe the point of being religious is to keep other people down.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     4 years ago

We are moving back to the middle ages.

CB
Professor Principal
8.1  CB  replied to  Kavika @8    4 years ago

Not if you, we, can help it! (Smile.) The future is ahead of us. We've lost nothing already lived and done with!

Snuffy
Professor Participates
10  Snuffy    4 years ago

Not sure why people get up in arms over a seed like this. There are outside groups that try to write up and push laws at all levels of government, from all sides of the political spectrum. Some of the write-up's are good and some are not. Regardless of what group writes them or what they are trying to push, it still comes down to the laws must be written, legislated, voted on and signed into law. And once it is signed into law if it is a bad law some other group will take it to court on constitutional grounds.

I see seeds like this as typical party politics pushing fear of the other side.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
10.1  Drakkonis  replied to  Snuffy @10    4 years ago

I think you're right. It's a trigger for a lot of people though, one often put out to get a react-before-thinking effect. The Christians are coming to get you!!!

CB
Professor Principal
10.1.1  CB  replied to  Drakkonis @10.1    4 years ago

Not all Christians, though. Just more of the meddlesome and busybody types. I'm just saying.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
10.2  bccrane  replied to  Snuffy @10    4 years ago

Just replace project blitz with the green new deal, it still has to pass the legislatures, governors, and courts.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
10.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Snuffy @10    4 years ago

It’s part of an attempt by the establishment GOP that is never Trump to drive evangelical Christians out of the GOP so that they can come in and bring back the old pre 1978 GOP that had a northeast liberal base and not many evangelical southerners in it. They let the Dems hold the house for 40 years and would rather rule a minority party than be only part of a coalition in a majority party.  

CB
Professor Principal
10.3.1  CB  replied to  XXJefferson51 @10.3    4 years ago

What the "establishment" GOP are beholding is a liar, cheat, and thief of a president creating and putting in place strongman tactics and strategies to disenfranchise individual freedoms and any expectation of an impartial Rule of Law. Trump's new order: Republican and conservative rule.

As for White Right-wing Evangelicals, God has sent them a strong delusion to believe a lie. The lie: God needs evangelicals to manufacture a champion, to elect, stand beside, and reelect, a corrupt businessman who is an offense to right and wrong so as  to establish God's righteous truth in the land. God is not in that. This is White Right-wing Evangelical desperately seeking to takeover society with one swift, fatal blow, using a man and his presidency. It is expediency.

As if God cares for expediency.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
10.4  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Snuffy @10    4 years ago

Some have no problem with Christian Nationalist having this much influence in government, most however do, and for good reason. When religion and government hook up, the result is a malformed, disease ridden carcass. History is rife with examples of such. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
10.4.1  Gordy327  replied to  Larry Hampton @10.4    4 years ago

I'll bet there are those actually want religion in the government.  Ofor course, as long as it's their religion that is.