╌>

Second black Texas teen required by school to cut dreadlocks, according to his mom

Category:  News & Politics

By:  larry-hampton  •  4 years ago  •  46 comments

Second black Texas teen required by school to cut dreadlocks, according to his mom
Bradford said in an interview Friday that like DeAndre, her son has worn dreadlocks for years and it only recently became an issue at the high school.

A second teenager at a Texas high school was suspended and told he could not return to class until he cut his dreadlocks to be in compliance with the school's dress code.

Kaden Bradford, 16, a sophomore at Barbers Hill High School in Mont Belvieu in Southeast Texas, has been on at-home suspension since last week, according to his mother, Cindy Bradford.

Kaden's cousin, DeAndre Arnold, is a senior at the school and also wears dreadlocks. DeAndre was recently told by administrators that he is not allowed in school and cannot   walk at his graduation unless he cut his hair , his mother, Sandy Arnold, told NBC affiliate KPRC of Houston. DeAndre,   whose father is from Trinidad , said the men in his family often grow their dreadlocks, and that it is a part of his identity and culture.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1  author  Larry Hampton    4 years ago

Both women, who are sisters, said they will not cut the boys' hair.

Bradford said in an interview Friday that like DeAndre, her son has worn dreadlocks for years and it only recently became an issue at the high school. Last year, Kaden would wear a headband to keep his dreadlocks off his shoulders, his mother said. The school told her that if Kaden kept his dreadlocks pulled back, he would not be in violation of its hair policy, she said.

But shortly after Christmas break, she said the school's principal, Rick Kana, told Kaden that he would need to cut his hair. Bradford said she paid last week to have Kaden's dreads cornrowed, or tightly-braided, so that they lay flat against his scalp. But that did not appease administrators, who placed him on at-home suspension because he refused to cut his hair, his mother said.

She said she is now considering taking legal action so he can return to school.

Bradford said she believes the hair policy is racist. The school district  dress code  states male students cannot have their hair “gathered or worn in a style that would allow the hair to extend below” the collar, earlobes and eyes when let down.

Texas you are graduating some of the dumbest high school students in the nation, and this is what concerns you so, that you kick a kid outta school?  Threaten to not allow him to walk graduation with his friends? 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Larry Hampton @1    4 years ago
states male students cannot have their hair “gathered or worn in a style that would allow the hair to extend below” the collar, earlobes and eyes when let down.

Seems discriminatory all around.  I wonder how Native American boys with long hair would be treated?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1    4 years ago

visit the web site,

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.1    4 years ago

I guess I don't feel like that answers my question, but I would probably find it discriminatory even if it did.  A dress code that allows a hairstyle for girls that is disallowed for boys is discriminatory.  If girls can have long hair, boys should be allowed to, as well.

Some of it was a bit open to interpretation, too.  Low necklines?  According to whom?  Some schools disallow necklines that display a girl's collarbones, even though many crewneck t-shirts would do so.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.1.3  author  Larry Hampton  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1    4 years ago

Seems discriminatory all around.  I wonder how Native American boys with long hair would be treated?

I’ll have to take look; I think Kavika posted an article about that very thing.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.4  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.2    4 years ago

way back in '67 or '68 when I was in jr. high, the PE teachers enforced our school hair length policy. it couldn't touch the ears or the collar or they would give you a haircut. a new kid with long hair from NY joins the class later in the year and gets the haircut warning in class. new kid shows up the next day without a haircut. 2 PE teachers give him a crude haircut in class. oops, new kids dad is a corporate attorney. a few weeks later, no more hair or dress codes in the entire school district.

bonus: 2 sadistic ex-PE teachers get drafted almost immediately.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1    4 years ago

There have been numerous cases Sandy. One in Texas a few years ago in Seminole, Texas (oh the irony) a Native boy wasn't allowed into his first day of school until his hair was cut. 

That isn't the first nor will it be the last in Texas and many other states. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kavika @1.1.5    4 years ago
Seminole, Texas (oh the irony)

Wow.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.7  Split Personality  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.2    4 years ago

One would note that the two black women "manning" the tables at some school function in the gym

are adults with decidedly God given hair doos,

one Afro

and one "stovepipe"?

but a black minor male with relatively short locks has been singled out in a school

where blacks are, like 3% of the Admin and student body...

not cool.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1    4 years ago

It's not the first time that kind of thing was being done:

2-86

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.8    4 years ago

The first thing done to Native children when they were forced into ''Indian Boarding Schools'' was to cut off our hair. It was the first step in taking away our Indian identity. 

''Kill the Indian save the Child'' was the motto of the US Government. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @1.1.9    4 years ago

Yes, and that did predate what the Nazis did to Orthodox Jews.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.11  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.10    4 years ago

It predated what happened to the Orthodox Jews and continued into the 1960/70's.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

I was stationed in Texas.  This bs does not surprise me at all.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3  MrFrost    4 years ago

Schools still have dress codes? Wow. 

I have a feeling this has very little to do with his hair and a lot to do with his ethnicity. IMO. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1  Split Personality  replied to  MrFrost @3    4 years ago

again the dress code issue seems to be a stretch, looks like a typical high school

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @3.1    4 years ago

ironic the the school is named "Barber" Hills

and they are fighting about hair cuts

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Split Personality @3.1    4 years ago
again the dress code issue seems to be a stretch, looks like a typical high school

Well, it's just my opinion is all. I would love to believe that I am wrong. I took a quick glance at the handbook and dress code, unless I missed it, I didn't see anything forbidding dreadlocks. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.2    4 years ago
I didn't see anything forbidding dreadlocks. 

I don't think it was dreads per se, but more the length of the dreads.  I've seen some dreads that were pretty short, and I assume they would be in compliance.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
3.1.4  author  Larry Hampton  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.3    4 years ago

It is strange that his dreads were ok for so long, and then suddenly it became an issue. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Larry Hampton @3.1.4    4 years ago

Agreed.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.6  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @3.1    4 years ago
looks like a typical high school

yup, all the cheerleaders looked knocked up /s

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.8  CB  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.1    4 years ago

Ironic indeed. This is an opportunity to post this video: (I'll snap it up!)

Barber speaks on teen unable to graduate unless he cuts dreadlocks

And this (the issue is not just about dreadlocks):

t_ad4d97139a8549e9940cd0269d83b914_name_

NOTE: Please click on picture to got to story and video.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
3.1.9  author  Larry Hampton  replied to  CB @3.1.8    4 years ago

Great sourcing CB; well done and, thank you sir. 

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.10  CB  replied to  Larry Hampton @3.1.9    4 years ago

You're welcome and thanks!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.11  Split Personality  replied to  Larry Hampton @3.1.9    4 years ago

Ditto CB!

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.12  CB  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.11    4 years ago

Aw shucks. jrSmiley_16_smiley_image.gif

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4  MrFrost    4 years ago

I can only imagine what they would say about my avatars hair. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
4.1  author  Larry Hampton  replied to  MrFrost @4    4 years ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
5  Dean Moriarty    4 years ago

I hope he gets to keep them. I love the dreaded look.

CB
Professor Principal
5.1  CB  replied to  Dean Moriarty @5    4 years ago

Okay, you got me with this one. As impossible as it is to believe, I can see that happening. HA!

JBB
Professor Principal
6  JBB    4 years ago

It is just hair. Texass really needs to get over itself!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    4 years ago

The people there may well be racist, but I doubt very much that policy was aimed specifically at black students. It’s not as if long hair is unique to black people. I’m white and I used to have hair half way down my back. It sounds more like a socially conservative concept of neatness and modesty.

It would be nice though, if they could just rethink the policy. It’s hard to see the harm in letting a young man wear his hair long.

If anything, I think you could argue the policy is sexist if girls are allowed to wear their hair long.

CB
Professor Principal
8.1  CB  replied to  Tacos! @8    4 years ago

Yes, seems conservative 'clean cut" orderly young "academy" boys and men are what this school is after. If they are going to be controversial about it, may be they should explore being a private school? I don't know.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.2  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @8    4 years ago

Other white and Hispanic students, especially the football team were also targeted for collar length hair and  had to get two trims to meet compliance  ( which will grow out in a week)

Several complained that girls could wear their hair as long, or as short as they like, as in high and tight........

It should not be an issue.