╌>

Basketball Star Kobe Bryant Killed In Helicopter Crash In California

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  42 comments

Basketball Star Kobe Bryant Killed In Helicopter Crash In California

Los Angeles Laker basketball legend Kobe Bryant was killed, along with four other people , when the helicopter he was a passenger in crashed in California.

Bryant was the fourth leading scorer in NBA history , having been passed for third by LeBron James just last night. 

Bryant won 5 NBA championships during his long career and was an 18 time all star. He is widely considered to be one of the greatest basketball players of all time. 

220px-Kobe_Bryant_2015.jpg

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Great player. I'm no longer a huge NBA fan, but he will go down as a top 10 all time great, maybe higher. 

RIP

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.1  1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

I'd put him in the top 5 - awesome, aggressive player.

RIP Kobe.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

It was sad to hear, but to hear his daughter was with him makes it heartbreaking.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago
Kobe Bryant, one of basketball’s greatest players and masterful scorers of all-time, was among five people who died Sunday in ...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

That’s tragic.

really admired his will as a basketball player.  He could take over a game like few others and just win it himself.

lib50
Professor Silent
5  lib50    4 years ago

This breaks my heart,  I don't even like sports and this threw me more than I would have ever expected.  Feel so sad for his beautiful family.  And for the others on the flight. RIP Kobe

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.1  MrFrost  replied to  lib50 @5    4 years ago

I think he has a newborn and a 16 year old daughter as well. Mom must be a total wreck today, I feel for her. She has a long road ahead. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     4 years ago

We had season tickets to the Lakers in LA...I watched Kobe from his first game in the NBA...A talent that few others possessed . He and Shaq et al were a force to be reckoned  with.

RIP Kobe

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

I'm not a great basketball fan myself, but I know he was the reason the Raptors did not reach the top sooner than they did.  As well, when I was teaching high school kids here in China, he was their hero - if one could tell from the T-shirts they wore. The students choose their own English names, and I recall that one boy called himself Kobe. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
8  pat wilson    4 years ago

God speed Kobe Bryant.

So sad.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson @8    4 years ago

What's even sadder is that his 13 year old daughter was with him. 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
9  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    4 years ago

Holy shit.  I just turned on CNN and there it was.  Do we know who the other 4 people are?  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

I just read that his daughter Gianna was also among the dead.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
13  Jasper2529    4 years ago

Such sad news. He was only 41 and had retired 3-4 years ago. It's still not confirmed that his daughter was with him. The Malibu sheriff's office will be giving a press conference with updates soon.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
15  Tacos!    4 years ago

What a shock. How terrible.

It happened about 15 minutes away from here. It's a cloudy day, but pretty mild. I saw a report that fog may have been a factor. This time of year (and into spring) we can see very isolated patches of fog that sit down in the canyons and can last late into the day.

GregTx
PhD Guide
15.1  GregTx  replied to  Tacos! @15    4 years ago

To me it seems to be some type of mechanical failure.

{deleted} SP

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
15.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  GregTx @15.1    4 years ago

I've read something about weather being a factor, too, but can't really see it in this video.  I hope his wife doesn't see this video.

Ender
Professor Principal
15.1.2  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @15.1.1    4 years ago

I shouldn't have looked. 

The chopper didn't sound right to me. Only a few seconds at the beginning though.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
15.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  GregTx @15.1    4 years ago

Yeah that's definitely a broken helicopter. How awful. 

On a technical note, I can see the video, but if you try to watch it on YouTube, it's unavailable.

lib50
Professor Silent
15.1.4  lib50  replied to  GregTx @15.1    4 years ago

OMG Greg, I can't believe that was captured on camera.  How awful.  It must have been turned into authorities I assume.   My heart just broke again seeing what they must have gone through.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
15.1.6  1stwarrior  replied to  GregTx @15.1    4 years ago

Sorry Greg - fake video - 

SAN DIEGO (KGTV) - A fake video claiming to show the helicopter crash that killed nine people including Kobe Bryant and his daughter is spreading across social media.

The fake video appears to show a chopper spinning out of control before bursting into flames.

The footage is actually of a chopper that clipped the Ras al-Khaimah wire near Dubai in 2018. The four crew members on board of that helicopter were all killed in the fiery crash.

The unrelated footage is creating outrage promoting calls for the video to be taken down .

GregTx
PhD Guide
15.1.7  GregTx  replied to  1stwarrior @15.1.6    4 years ago

I see, thanks for that info. If a mod could remove that for me, I would appreciate it.

lib50
Professor Silent
15.1.8  lib50  replied to  1stwarrior @15.1.6    4 years ago

After I saw this I looked deeper and saw people denying it was real and had doubts. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
15.1.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  lib50 @15.1.8    4 years ago

That's what the onset of fake news and ultra-bias has done to all of us.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
16  Thrawn 31    4 years ago

RIP Kobe