Trump Outlines Mideast Peace Plan That Strongly Favors Israel

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  86 comments

Trump Outlines Mideast Peace Plan That Strongly Favors Israel

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

View in browser   |   nytimes.com
NYT-WMK-W-RGB.png

BREAKING NEWS

President Trump released his Middle East peace plan, giving Israel most of what it wants and requiring concessions Palestinians will likely reject.

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 12:58 PM EST

Mr. Trump’s plan would create what he called a Palestinian state with limited sovereignty, and would guarantee that Israel have control of a unified Jerusalem as its capital and not require it to uproot any of the settlements in the West Bank.

“My vision presents a win-win for both sides,” Mr. Trump said at a White House ceremony beside Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, but no counterpart from the Palestinian leadership, which is not on speaking terms with the Trump administration.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Three years and a DOA peace plan. 

Trump said his son in law Kushner would make peace in the M.E., or no one could. 

Which one is this, lol. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

President Trump on Tuesday called for a two-state solution to resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, as he unveiled the details of his administration’s much-awaited Middle East peace plan.

Trump announced the proposal alongside Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during remarks in the East Room of the White House.

"My vision presents a win-win situation for both sides," Trump said. "Today Israel has taken a giant step toward peace."

He later tweeted a map of the proposed State of Palestine....

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Dulay  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1    4 years ago

Look at the fucking map Xx. It states: 

All Muslims who come in peace will be welcome to visit and pray at the Al-Aqsa Mosque. 

Not even you can think that the Palestinians are going to give up the Al-Aqsa Mosque. 

Oh and then look at the fact that Israel gets ALL of the land along the Black Sea. Read that to mean, NO WATER. 

Seriously, I suggest that you go to google maps and take a look at the pictures of the area that Trump labels as the 'High tech manufacturing industrial zone' and the 'Residential and agricultural area'. There is NO FUCKING WATER there. It's an EMPTY desert. Not even the Israelis inhabit or cultivate it. 

Here's a lovely picture of the 'residential and agricultural zone':

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @1.1.1    4 years ago

Please pardon my ignorance of Geography, but can you point out to me exactly where Israel has ever bordered the Black Sea?  Maybe you meant Lake Ontario. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.4  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.3    4 years ago

Dead Sea, my bad. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @1.1.4    4 years ago

LOL.  I knew that - I was just kidding you.  Actually I'd be surprised if they could use the Dead Sea water for drinking water - they could use it to pickle cucumbers.  I've tried to swim in the Dead Sea, it's impossible - all you can do is float on top of it.  You could throw a stone into it and it would float. 

As for your complaint about the residential and industrial areas, I note that there are blue lines connecting them, so for water, are there no piplines, bah, humbug.  If the Peace Plan were acceptable to the Palestinians, and it will not be anyway, why would Israel prevent the Palestinians from access to water.  As for the photo you posted, that is what Israel looked like before the Israelis made the deserts blossom - and if they can do it, so can the Palestinians, and if there actually is peace I'm positive that Israel would help them do it. 

However all of this is merely academic discussion because the Palestinians do not want peace - it's been offered to them many times - 95% of what they demanded, then 97% of what they demanded, but they always walked away from it. The Palestinians do not want peace, they want all of Israel.  My personal opinion is that the only solution to the conflict is The Jordan Option, even if it's necessary to force it to happen. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.6  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.5    4 years ago

The Israelis are pretty fucking awesome at desalination. I read somewhere that they get over 50% of their drinking water from it. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @1.1.6    4 years ago

Ordinary sea water - they even built a plant on the California shore.  Dead sea water would probably gum up their system.  They also have perfected the recycling of waste water, and for growing crops, their system of drip-technology prevents wasteful crop watering. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.8  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.7    4 years ago

Some of the original kibbutzim were instrumental in 'brown water' reclamation. Necessity breeds invention. Some of the Earthship homes in Taos use small scale brown water systems based on their experience. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago
Three years and a DOA peace plan.

3 weeks more like.  It was only just now released, like the China trade deal (part 1), as a distraction from the impeachment and to prove to his sycophants that he is doing something.

Unfortunately, anyone who looks will see that both deals are worth less than the paper they are written on.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.1  KDMichigan  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2    4 years ago
as a distraction from the impeachment and to prove to his sycophants that he is doing something.

You mean the impeachment that the democrats promised their triggered snowflakes if they elected them in 2018? Congress should be doing their jobs instead of chasing smoke and mirrors.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2.1    4 years ago
You mean the impeachment that the democrats promised their triggered snowflakes if they elected them in 2018?

Document that promise or admit your statement was a lie.

Congress should be doing their jobs instead of chasing smoke and mirrors.

Impeachment is part of their jobs....duh....jrSmiley_103_smiley_image.jpg

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.3  KDMichigan  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2.2    4 years ago
Document that promise or admit your statement was a lie.

No it's not a lie, it seems like you are using selective memory...as usual, or just lying.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.4  Ozzwald  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2.3    4 years ago

No it's not a lie, it seems like you are using selective memory...as usual, or just lying.

Yet you provide no evidence to back up your claim.

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    4 years ago

Like a two state solution has not been thought of before.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago
The event in the East Room of the White House had a Kabuki-theater quality to it as the president ended years of suspense over a highly touted peace plan that was widely considered dead on arrival. Rather than a serious blueprint for peace, analysts called it a political document by a president in the middle of an impeachment trial working in tandem with a prime minister under criminal indictment and about to face his third election in the span of a year.

Nearly three years in the making and overseen by Mr. Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, the plan is the latest of numerous American efforts to settle the 70-plus-year conflict between Israel and the Palestinians. But it marked a sharp turn in the American approach, dropping decades of American support for only modest adjustments to Israeli borders drawn in 1967 and discarding the longtime goal of granting the Palestinians a full-fledged state.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @3    4 years ago
kUuht00m_bigger.jpg

This is what a future State of Palestine can look like, with a capital in parts of East Jerusalem.

EPY2upzX0Akk14R?format=jpg&name=900x900

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1    4 years ago

I have a feeling this plan offers the Palestinians land they don't want, and removes them from land they do want. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    4 years ago
I have a feeling this plan offers the Palestinians land they don't want, and removes them from land they do want. 

Pretty sure it offers the Palestinians anything the Israelis want to offer them, and nothing more.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Dulay  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1    4 years ago

You keep spewing that map out without actually LOOKING at it or understanding WTF it means. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dulay @3.1.3    4 years ago

I only put it here and nowhere else.  Did you know that the seeder of the article changed its headline?  

The headline was judged to be correct when the story first published at 12:58.

It has since been updated twice by The New York Times

which apparently changed the headline during one of those revisions. 

The headline now matches the link. (again)

Please continue to use the flag option

while avoiding Meta statements like above, SP

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.5  Dulay  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.4    4 years ago
I only put it here and nowhere else.  

What's your point? You've posted it here 3xs. Did you LOOK at it Xx?

How about you address my 1.1.1 comment.

Did you know that the seeder of the article changed its headline?

Why are you deflecting? 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.6  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    4 years ago

So what...it all belongs to Israel. These murderous thugs who use women, children, and old people as human shields should be driven out. .

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1.7  Tacos!  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1    4 years ago

The whole idea of this non-contiguous Palestine just baffles me. Japan is islands and we have Alaska and Hawaii separate from us, but only water disconnects us, really. Every two-state solution in Palestine I have ever seen has this weird jigsaw puzzle layout and I can't see why that would appeal to anyone.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.8  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dulay @3.1.5    4 years ago

There was one tweet in two languages that I posted.  Someone here deleted the likely Arabic portion of the Presidents tweet with one of the two maps in the tweet.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.9  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.4    4 years ago

There is no such requirement on NT to change headlines when the source "updates" its headline, or its story for that matter. 

I posted the headline that was attached to the story as I found it. 

The headline was neither misleading nor created by me. 

I wish the mods would delete the foolishness I am responding to instead of "explaining" to it. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.10  Dulay  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.6    4 years ago
So what...it all belongs to Israel.

The 1949 Armistice Agreement says differently. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.11  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @3.1.10    4 years ago

The Armistice Agreement did not specify ACTUAL borders - what the actual borders were to be was to be negotiated - it never was.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.12  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.11    4 years ago

Conveniently. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @3    4 years ago
the longtime goal of granting the Palestinians a full-fledged state.

You should know, like the rest of us, is that the so called Palestinians, aka Hamas, do not want or desire a "full-fledged state"

They only want to abolish the nation of Israel. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4  Ronin2    4 years ago

So it fails. Name one ME peace plan that has ever worked?

So much for Trump being anti Semite. Unless you want to claim he is too stupid to know Israel is the home of the Jews./S

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @4    4 years ago

Trump supports Israel so strongly because his major GOP donors like Sheldon Adelson require it of him, and more importantly I think, because his evangelical Christian base requires it of him. 

Trump has made disparaging remarks about Jews in his past, but since he took office I think his eyes are on the prize (his voter base).  There is nothing in it for him to offer a peace plan Palestinians could agree to.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    4 years ago

It’s a better plan for the Palestinians than what they have now.  The longer the Palestinians hold out the lesser of a deal will be coming their way.  They should have accepted the Clinton deal in 2000.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.2    4 years ago

Maybe he was talking about the Orthodox Jews that liberal anti Semites attack in our big cities and American Jews voting here but living in Israel, the expats vote.  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    4 years ago
Trump has made disparaging remarks about Jews in his past,

When did he do that, and please provide a reference.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    4 years ago

Really, John?  Why didn't he prevent his daughter from marrying a Jew?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Ronin2 @4    4 years ago
Name one ME peace plan that has ever worked?

Iranian peace treaty was working until Trump bailed.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  XDm9mm @4.2.1    4 years ago
(deleted)

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.2.2    4 years ago

Off topic. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2.3    4 years ago

[Deleted]

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.2.5  Ronin2  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2    4 years ago

Right...Just like the Iranian missile defense treaty.

The snap back sanctions were supposed to be applied to missile violations as well. Why would Iran need to develop missiles, especially intercontinental ballistic ones, that are capable of carrying a nuclear payload?  It is not like they can create a nuclear warhead or anything?

Oh wait.

Uranium particles of man-made origin have been discovered at a site in Iran not declared to the United Nations, the U.N. atomic watchdog agency said Monday as it confirmed a litany of violations by Tehran of the 2015 nuclear deal.

The International Atomic Energy Agency said Iran has begun enriching uranium at a heavily fortified installation inside a mountain, is increasing its stockpile of processed uranium, and is exceeding the allowable enrichment levels.

All such steps are prohibited under the agreement Iran reached with world powers to prevent it from building a bomb.

I mean they have such a great track record of honoring treaties.  We should trust them implicitly to honor a limited, non binding, nuclear agreement that restricts where and when inspections can be conducted.

Iran is part the of ME. They are as fucked up as the rest.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.2.6  KDMichigan  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2    4 years ago
Iranian peace treaty was working until Trump bailed.

What peace treaty was that, You mean the bullshit Nuclear deal that the worthless ass obama passed? The one where lead from behind obama gave Iran everything they asked for without congress consent, that one? The one Iran kept violating so President Trump pulled out, that one? 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2.7  Ozzwald  replied to  XDm9mm @4.2.1    4 years ago
The "DEAL" Obama and his minions cobbled together was such a piece of shit that he knew better than to even attempt getting it ratified in the Senate as a treaty.

Yet, that "piece of shit", as you put it, was working as designed.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.2.8  Greg Jones  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2.7    4 years ago

No it was not, and you can't prove it. The Iranians cheated from the get-go.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.2.9  KDMichigan  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2.7    4 years ago
was working as designed.

That's right, as apiece of shit just like the one that forced it on the American people.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.10  XXJefferson51  replied to  KDMichigan @4.2.6    4 years ago

Michelle has them in the last White House such as they were.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2.11  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2.8    4 years ago
No it was not, and you can't prove it. The Iranians cheated from the get-go.

Proof...

Every country involved, including America found no violations.  So prove your claim or admit it as another lie.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2.13  Ozzwald  replied to  XDm9mm @4.2.12    4 years ago
So much for lies...

This was November AFTER Trump trashed the deal.  Can't you find anything that has to do with what we're talking about?

And here, I'll help you out with more violations that occurred AFTER...

UN reports increasing violations of Iran nuclear deal

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

By asking the Palestinians to make far more territorial concessions than past proposals, though, Mr. Trump’s plan provided an American imprimatur of support to decades of aggressive Israeli settlement-building in Palestinian areas seized in two wars between Israel and Arab states. And it sent a grim message to the Palestinians that they have missed their chance to win the “two-state solution” they long pursued — as least so long as Mr. Trump is president.

Mr. Kushner and a small circle of Trump officials chose not to pursue the traditional path of brokering talks between the two parties that could lead to a joint proposal, but to hand one down from Washington. Peace-process veterans say that last happened under President Ronald Reagan in 1982.

Working secretively, Mr. Kushner and his team — which included the American ambassador to Israel, David M. Friedman, a strong supporter of Israeli settlement construction — consulted closely with Mr. Netanyahu’s government. But their contact with Palestinian officials ended after Mr. Trump moved the United States embassy to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv in December 2017.

Rather than court the Palestinians after that, the Trump administration only increased pressure on them, cutting off American funding for Palestinian areas and shuttering the Palestinian diplomatic office in Washington.

That dashed the initial hopes of Palestinians who believed that Mr. Trump’s unorthodox approach toward foreign policy, and his love for a grand deal, could lead him to pressure Israel to a degree they felt previous American presidents had not.

In the near term, the 80-page plan is most likely to stir up Israeli and American politics. Mr. Trump is sure to cite the plan’s pro-Israel slant on the 2020 campaign trail to win support from conservative Jewish Americans in Florida and other key states, along with the Evangelical Christians who are some of his strongest backers and support Israeli expansion in the Holy Land.

While the Palestinians are nearly certain to reject the plan, Trump allies say they will be closely watching other Arab governments with whom Mr. Trump has established close relations and who have thawed relations with Israel, to see whether they might give the plan any political cover.

Speaking in Tel Aviv on Monday, Nikki Haley, Mr. Trump’s former United Nations Ambassador, suggested that such Arab support could force the Palestinians to come to the table. “If the Arab countries respond favorably to the plan, or even if they don’t run to the Palestinian side, that’s going to be a huge, telling lesson to the Palestinians that they may not have the backing they had before,” she said.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @5    4 years ago

As the story says, there is no negotiation that resulted in this plan. It was handed down on high from the White House, which of course means the Palestinians reject it out of hand. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    4 years ago

Then they can accept permanent occupation with no annexation and no work in Israel proper and no foreign investment.  It’s time for them to realize that they are not equals in any negotiations and that Israel’s security concerns will always trump their desires. They will accept what is offered now or accept the status quo on the wrong side of a very effective border wall.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1.1    4 years ago

What most likely happen is that the status quo will stay for 20 more years and every now and then there will be violent uprisings killing and hurting many people. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1.4  Dulay  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1.1    4 years ago

You just described and unconditional surrender, NOT a peace plan. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1.5  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.2    4 years ago

and every now and then there will be violent uprisings killing and hurting many people. 

That will result from Israel being attacked and provoked by Hamas, just like always.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1.6  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    4 years ago

They aren't in a position to force the issue, since they are at a material and manpower disadvantage and they always start the violence.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    4 years ago
"...which of course means the Palestinians reject it out of hand."

Oh come on, John, it's so obvious that the only thing that will make the Palestinians including Hamas happy is "Palestine will be free from the river to the sea."  Surely we are all not so naive to think that anything less would be acceptable.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1.8  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dulay @5.1.4    4 years ago

That surrender happened in 1967.  People who surrendered usually don’t demand terms from the victor but settle for the best that they can get.  As of now this is it and like since 2000 each deal will become progressively less attractive to the losers of the wars.  

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1.9  Dulay  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1.8    4 years ago

Oh DO tell me all about your vast knowledge about the Six Day War Xx. It may behoove you to review the FACT that it was between Israel, Egypt, Syria and Jordan. The Palestinians weren't 'combatants' nor did the surrender to anyone. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1.11  Dulay  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.10    4 years ago

The PLO didn't become the representatives of the Palestinian people until 1993. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1.13  Dulay  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.12    4 years ago

Does it say in there when the Palestinians surrendered? 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.3  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @5    4 years ago
And it sent a grim message to the Palestinians that they have missed their chance to win the “two-state solution” they long pursued — as least so long as Mr. Trump is president.

They've never wanted a "two-state solution". They've rejected every "peace plan" for decades now. Quit trying to sell that lie.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.3.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Greg Jones @5.3    4 years ago

Like their apologists among the squad their real desire is from the river to the sea.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

My vision presents a win-win for both sides,” Mr. Trump 

Translation -  I know there is a way I can profit from this. (Blows Ben a kiss).

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  Texan1211  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6    4 years ago

Do tell us all about how Trump will profit from this.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

There is as much a chance of the Palestinians accepting this so-called "Deal of the Century" as there is of all Americans giving up their guns.  It just ain't gonna happen - what an unbelievable waste of time and effort.  Even the discussion about it is a waste of time and effort. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    4 years ago

Like always, the Palestinians don't really seem to want their own state.

What they seem to want is Israel.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1    4 years ago

all of it. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8  It Is ME    4 years ago

"Mr. Trump’s plan would create what he called a Palestinian state with limited sovereignty"

Maybe.....Just maybe..... if they showed any inkling of "Producing anything more than just Terrorism", they could get Full Sovereignty ? jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif