Murkowski comes out against impeachment witnesses, putting Trump on path to acquittal

Via:  just-jim-nc-ttth  •  2 weeks ago  •  75 comments

By:   FoxNews.com 17 mins ago

Murkowski comes out against impeachment witnesses, putting Trump on path to acquittal
Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski came out Friday against calling witnesses in President Trump’s impeachment trial, all but assuring the Senate will move to wrap up proceedings with a likely acquittal in a matter of days, if not hours.

Oh, oh. The last gasp is in progress and the libs are gonna go crazy...........s'cuse me crazier

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

“Given the partisan nature of this impeachment from the very beginning and throughout, I have come to the conclusion that there will be no fair trial in the Senate. I don’t believe the continuation of this process will change anything. It is sad for me to admit that, as an institution, the Congress has failed,” said Murkowski, a key moderate senator who has been closely watched on the witness question.
The announcement came after Sen. Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn., who also had been on the fence on the issue, announced late Thursday that he would not support additional witnesses in Trump's "shallow, hurried and wholly partisan” trial.

Right now, Sens. Susan Collins of Maine and Mitt Romney of Utah are the only GOP senators to signal support for witnesses. Presuming Democrats vote as a bloc and no other Republicans defect, this would leave the pro-witness side with just 49 votes.
The Senate is expected to vote on the witness question later Friday. From there, proceedings could drag on through Friday night and into the weekend — and possibly beyond — but it takes a two-thirds supermajority to convict a president.
Few senators have publicly budged from party lines during the course of the trial, leaving impeachment managers far short of the votes needed to convict barring some extraordinary turn

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

Just Jim NC TttH
1  seeder  Just Jim NC TttH    2 weeks ago

So another "hopeful" for the dems pooped out. I can understand her reasoning though. In the back of her politically correct brain she is thinking "This shit show needs to come to a rapid end.

KDMichigan
1.1  KDMichigan  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1    2 weeks ago

I would say that people of sound mind knew the outcome when they 1st hinted at impeachment, The house impeached him along party lines and the senate will not convict along party lines, except for Mitt because he is just butt hurt that Trump did what he couldn't. the only losers are the American taxpayer.

Vic Eldred
2  Vic Eldred    2 weeks ago

One of the few times Murkowski and Collins have not voted as a team. I'm glad though for Collins. She has the freedom to cast a vote which is politically expedient. I hope that all Senate Republicans vote for acquittal. That would be a true exoneration of the President and the final marker for history of a completely partisan attempt at using a frivolous impeachment charge to remove/politically damage a President.

Just Jim NC TttH
2.1  seeder  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    2 weeks ago

And for three years we have had to endure searching for a crime. They already had the man. Just had to look for the crime. Gonna be a sad day at the after "work" watering hole today. Gonna be some salty beers from the crying.

evilgenius
2.1.1  evilgenius  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1    2 weeks ago
...for three years we have had to endure searching for a crime.

You forgot the 12 years before Trump became President, or don't those count now.

Just Jim NC TttH
2.1.2  seeder  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  evilgenius @2.1.1    2 weeks ago

Oh please do expound. I don't remember this intensity any of the last twelve. 

Thanks in advance.

Ronin2
2.1.3  Ronin2  replied to  evilgenius @2.1.1    2 weeks ago

So when did the Republicans start an impeachment investigation against Obama? 

Or are you trying to assert all Congressional investigations are impeachment investigations? In which case you have to go back far longer than just 12 years.

evilgenius
2.1.4  evilgenius  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.2    2 weeks ago
Oh please do expound.

My point is politics is in general very polarized and it isn't limited to one side.

I don't remember this intensity any of the last twelve. 

How many Benghazi investigations were there?  

evilgenius
2.1.5  evilgenius  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.3    2 weeks ago
So when did the Republicans start an impeachment investigation against Obama? 

There were none, but not for lack of trying to find one.

WallyW
2.1.6  WallyW  replied to  evilgenius @2.1.4    2 weeks ago

Just one, I think

JohnRussell
2.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    2 weeks ago
That would be a true exoneration of the President and the final marker for history of a completely partisan attempt at using a frivolous impeachment charge to remove/politically damage a President.

Far right propaganda.  People are exonerated by facts, not rigged trials.  The impeachment articles will fail, but it is not remotely exoneration.  Quite to the contrary,  facts concerning Trump's guilt will be coming out for some time to come. 

Just Jim NC TttH
2.2.1  seeder  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2    2 weeks ago
facts concerning Trump's guilt will be coming out for some time to come. 

You've got that right. The first attempt turned out to be a big THUD.........and much to your chagrin, that thud is being heard around the world.........and they are laughing their respective asses off. THAT started with the pink pussy hats and continues to this climactic day........and will continue until such time as Mr. Trump is voted out or, fulfills his second term. I hope all of our liberal/dem/liv/progs survive okay.

Ronin2
2.2.2  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2    2 weeks ago
People are exonerated by facts,

Which the Democrats didn't even make an attempt to find in their limited, closed door, secret investigation, using witnesses with only second or third hand knowledge; and only leaking testimony that they found damaging- while ignoring the rest.  They didn't even bother trying to use the courts to compel witness testimony. It was too much effort- besides they could use it to bolster their BS Article Obstruction of Congress. Not one Republican House member voted for either of the Democrat BS Articles. 31 Democrats crossed party lines to vote for articles of impeachment against Bill Clinton. That tells you everything you need to know about the Dems "investigation".

not rigged trials.

So the Democrats in the Senate voting lock step not to impeach Bill Clinton despite "the facts"; hell they didn't even deny he was guilty of committing real damn crimes! So find someone that cares this time around. TDDDDS is not a valid reason for impeachment.

The impeachment articles will fail, but it is not remotely exoneration.  Quite to the contrary,  facts concerning Trump's guilt will be coming out for some time to come. 

You mean the leaks? I am sure the Democrats are encouraging as many leaks they can. From sources they would never consider reliable under any other circumstances- like Bolton.

Want Trump removed; then try to convince enough voters to get behind one of the insane exploding clown car of Democratic candidates. Just remind them not to forget flyover country.

Ozzwald
2.2.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Ronin2 @2.2.2    2 weeks ago
Which the Democrats didn't even make an attempt to find in their limited,

Limited to Constitution policies.

closed door,

Except to those that are part of the process as dictated by Republican rule changes.

secret investigation,

You mean it wasn't reported on multiple times each day by just about every news agency in the world?

using witnesses with only second or third hand knowledge

Because Trump obstructed the ability of Congress to subpoena 1st hand witnesses to testify.  AND at least they had witnesses and evidence.

squiggy
2.2.4  squiggy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2    2 weeks ago
Trump's guilt will be coming out for some time to come. 

For as long as there are book deals and blockbuster revelations..

WallyW
2.2.5  WallyW  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2    2 weeks ago
  facts concerning Trump's guilt will be coming out for some time to come. 

Nothing  will come out we haven't already heard, over, and over, and over.

Freedom Warrior
2.2.6  Freedom Warrior  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2    2 weeks ago

Of course it is. Another  EPIC FAIL like we knew all along.   Disgraced House of Dem Reps.  

Maybe not worse than the HRC faceplant.  hard to  beat that but next week we'll see the Trumpster spiking the football in the face of Pukelosi.

Next Up!

Ed-NavDoc
2.2.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ronin2 @2.2.2    2 weeks ago

Funny thing is that America has had to endure the rabid hateful rants of the far left propaganda machine for the last several months! Hilarious that it is now coming back to bite them in the posterior.

Tessylo
2.2.8  Tessylo  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.2.7    2 weeks ago

Y'all have it ass backwards.  Go to any tRump 'rally' or tRump rant for the rabid hateful rants against the Democrats/Liberals/Progressives

Donald J. Trump fan 1
2.2.9  Donald J. Trump fan 1  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.1    2 weeks ago

Let’s celebrate the acquittal of our President!  👍👏🎉🍷🎊

Ed-NavDoc
2.2.10  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.8    2 weeks ago

Your party lost in this. Deal with it, it's over!jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

pat wilson
2.2.11  pat wilson  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.2.10    2 weeks ago

Actually we all lost in this.

Keep smiling.

squiggy
2.2.12  squiggy  replied to  Donald J. Trump fan 1 @2.2.9    2 weeks ago

Exonerated. Totally exonerated.

pat wilson
2.2.13  pat wilson  replied to  squiggy @2.2.12    2 weeks ago

He's still impeached.

Texan1211
2.2.14  Texan1211  replied to  pat wilson @2.2.13    2 weeks ago
He's still impeached.

yes, and?

Is the first thing you think of when someone mentions Bill Clinton is that he was impeached?

r.t..b...
2.2.15  r.t..b...  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.14    2 weeks ago
Is the first thing you think of when someone mentions Bill Clinton is that he was impeached?

Yup.

The albatross never to be acquitted away and never to be dismissed...the ultimate scarlet letter...and fitting in both circumstances.  

pat wilson
2.2.16  pat wilson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.14    2 weeks ago

This is 2020, not 1998. Nobody gives a shit about Clinton except you.

Texan1211
2.2.17  Texan1211  replied to  r.t..b... @2.2.15    2 weeks ago
Yup.

Strange, I never hear a Democrat bring it up.

The albatross never to be acquitted away and never to be dismissed...the ultimate scarlet letter...and fitting in both circumstances.  

Clinton was not acquitted--he was found guilty.

Trump hasn't been found guilty.

Big difference.

Texan1211
2.2.18  Texan1211  replied to  pat wilson @2.2.16    2 weeks ago

Whoosh!

Duck!! Duck!!!

That was the point of my comment flying over your head.

squiggy
2.2.19  squiggy  replied to  pat wilson @2.2.13    2 weeks ago
He's still impeached.

You just put another day's fuel in the Trump train - the only impeachee to be re-elected. He loves it.

pat wilson
2.2.20  pat wilson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.18    2 weeks ago

Nice try.

pat wilson
2.2.21  pat wilson  replied to  squiggy @2.2.19    2 weeks ago

Omarosa was right, you're bowing down, ha ha ha ha

Texan1211
2.2.22  Texan1211  replied to  pat wilson @2.2.20    2 weeks ago

Since you still didn't get it, I'll rephrase it for you:

Who cares if Trump has been impeached? What possible difference does it make in anyone's lives?

pat wilson
2.2.23  pat wilson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.22    2 weeks ago
Since you still didn't get it, I'll rephrase it for you:

There isn't anything you could post that I "wouldn't get". And there's nothing you could post that would be "over my head".

Run along now.

Texan1211
2.2.24  Texan1211  replied to  pat wilson @2.2.23    2 weeks ago

Well, you sure had me fooled!

pat wilson
2.2.25  pat wilson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.24    2 weeks ago

That's easy.

igknorantzrulz
2.2.26  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.24    2 weeks ago

Well, you sure had me fooled!

who can't do that ?

Texan1211
2.2.27  Texan1211  replied to  pat wilson @2.2.25    2 weeks ago

Yep--either you are a genius at seeming ignorant of what I was saying, or you really are.

pat wilson
2.2.28  pat wilson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.27    2 weeks ago

Oh look ! Another "I know you are but what am I" response.

How original.

Ed-NavDoc
2.2.29  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  pat wilson @2.2.20    2 weeks ago

Either way, he is still going to be your president for another for another four years. You might as well accept it and deal with it.

pat wilson
2.2.30  pat wilson  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.2.29    2 weeks ago

We'll have to wait and see.

Ed-NavDoc
2.2.31  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  pat wilson @2.2.30    2 weeks ago

That we will, but he certainly will finish his current term in office.

Texan1211
2.2.32  Texan1211  replied to  pat wilson @2.2.28    2 weeks ago
Oh look ! Another "I know you are but what am I" response.
How original.

Really? REALY?

You got THAT crap from my post which stated:

Yep--either you are a genius at seeming ignorant of what I was saying, or you really are.

Well, I guess we all know which one it was now.

Jeremy Retired in NC
2.2.33  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  pat wilson @2.2.13    2 weeks ago

And yet he is still President with a good chance of winning again this November.

Tessylo
2.3  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    2 weeks ago

Collins gets paid to vote the 'right' way.😉

I'm betting it's the same with Murkowski 

It Is ME
2.3.1  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @2.3    2 weeks ago
I'm betting it's the same with Murkowski 

Politicians get paid ? jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
2.3.2  Texan1211  replied to  It Is ME @2.3.1    2 weeks ago

Just more unsubstantiated bull.

It Is ME
2.3.3  It Is ME  replied to  Texan1211 @2.3.2    2 weeks ago

Pretty Much. 

Ed-NavDoc
2.3.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @2.3.2    2 weeks ago

Yep.

Ed-NavDoc
2.3.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  It Is ME @2.3.1    2 weeks ago

Yeah, far too much for the amount of work most actually do, or don't do!

jungkonservativ111
3  jungkonservativ111    2 weeks ago

Mitt Romney Disgusts me. The republican residents of Utah need to get their heads checked for re-electing this guy so much

JohnRussell
3.1  JohnRussell  replied to  jungkonservativ111 @3    2 weeks ago
The republican residents of Utah need to get their heads checked for re-electing this guy so much

Fact check ace -   the residents of Utah , Republican or otherwise, have never re-elected Mitt Romney, to anything.  Maybe you and Trump get your information from similar sources. 

Romney has held office on behalf of Utah once. He was elected a US senator from Utah in 2018. 

squiggy
3.1.1  squiggy  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    2 weeks ago

Utah and Massachusetts have so much in common - or the guy is that much of a shitbagger.

zuksam
3.1.2  zuksam  replied to  squiggy @3.1.1    2 weeks ago

What do you expect from a guy who straps his dog on the roof of his car for a 12 hour trip. There's just something wrong with him.

r.t..b...
3.2  r.t..b...  replied to  jungkonservativ111 @3    2 weeks ago
for re-electing this guy so much

oops...

Tacos!
4  Tacos!    2 weeks ago

Considering the way this all began, there's no way it was ever going to end in a way that America could be proud of except to make it end.

Tessylo
4.1  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @4    2 weeks ago

America has no pride whatsoever in this gop administration of gangsters, thugs,  grifters and thieves and these spineless bought and paid for Republicans who dare not go against this sham of a "president' 'presidency'

Just Jim NC TttH
5  seeder  Just Jim NC TttH    2 weeks ago

squiggy
5.1  squiggy  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5    2 weeks ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
5.2  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5    2 weeks ago

[deleted]

Dismayed Patriot
5.2.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Tessylo @5.2    2 weeks ago

[deleted]

squiggy
5.2.2  squiggy  replied to  Tessylo @5.2    2 weeks ago

[dfleted]

squiggy
5.2.3  squiggy  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.2.1    2 weeks ago

83754088_2831838093542497_41538977164783

Tessylo
5.2.4  Tessylo  replied to  squiggy @5.2.2    2 weeks ago

removed for context

Donald J. Trump fan 1
5.2.5  Donald J. Trump fan 1  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.2.1    2 weeks ago

removed for context

Tessylo
7  Tessylo    2 weeks ago

Collins gets paid to vote the 'right' way.😉

Paula Bartholomew
7.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @7    2 weeks ago

The right way goes to the highest bidder.

TTGA
7.1.1  TTGA  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.1    2 weeks ago
Collins gets paid to vote the 'right' way.

Do you mean that Shiff or Nadler offered Collins a bribe???  You ladies do realize, don't you, that Collins voted in favor of more witnesses.  Both she and Romney chose to vote with the Democrats, although they may change their minds on Wednesday after realizing that, in their next re election attempt, the DNC is not going to have their backs.

Texan1211
7.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.1    2 weeks ago

So Democrats attempted to bribe a US Senator?

Thrawn 31
8  Thrawn 31    2 weeks ago

Ah, and on Wednesday the Senate will make it official, Congress is merely a symbolic group with essentially no real power or authority. The executive is about to get A LOT stronger, can't wait to watch conservatives pitch a fit when the next Democrat is elected and starts doing whatever the fuck they want. 

Texan1211
8.1  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @8    2 weeks ago
The executive is about to get A LOT stronger, can't wait to watch conservatives pitch a fit when the next Democrat is elected and starts doing whatever the fuck they want. 

Well, at least that is honest.

So it isn't so much what he has done that bothers you, it is because Trump is a GOPer and conservative, as you seem to want Democrats to do the same things when they hold office.

Ed-NavDoc
8.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Thrawn 31 @8    2 weeks ago

The ones currently in office in the House pretty much do that already!

Tacos!
9  Tacos!    2 weeks ago
“Given the partisan nature of this impeachment from the very beginning and throughout, I have come to the conclusion that there will be no fair trial in the Senate. I don’t believe the continuation of this process will change anything. It is sad for me to admit that, as an institution, the Congress has failed,”

You can be mad about this all you want, but I don't think anyone can say she is wrong in her assessment of the total process.

Jeremy Retired in NC
9.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tacos! @9    2 weeks ago

She is dead on in her assessment.

It Is ME
10  It Is ME    2 weeks ago

"Murkowski comes out against impeachment witnesses, putting Trump on path to acquittal"

Murkowski must have paid attention to what The Highest and mightiest of the Democrat Party Pelosi said. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

https://thepoliticalinsider.com/rewriting-history-pelosi-says-clinton-allowed-witnesses-in-his-impeachment-trial-but-trump-wont/

When George Stephanopoulos asked Pelosi why Democrats didn’t wait for the courts to rule, she said she was confident in their case moving forward.

Pelosi: “How long do the courts take? We have confidence in our case that this is impeachable, and the president is impeached for life, regardless of any gamesmanship on the part of Mitch McConnell. We’re confident in the impeachment, and we think that’s enough testimony to remove him from office.”