╌>

Goodbye, Europe. After years of Brexit turmoil, Britain finally leaves the E.U.

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  85 comments

By:    Alexander Smith

Goodbye, Europe. After years of Brexit turmoil, Britain finally leaves the E.U.
"Our job as the government — my job — is to bring this country together and take us forward," Prime Minister Boris Johnson said.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

LONDON — It happened — the United Kingdom walked away from the world's largest political and economic club.

After 47 years of membership — and more than three years of political uncertainty, rancor and division — the United Kingdom officially   left the European Union on Friday .

The   Brexit   divorce was made official at the stroke of 11 p.m. local time (6 p.m. ET), with the image of a countdown clock projected onto Prime Minister Boris Johnson's official residence, No. 10 Downing St.

With a population of more than 513 million, the E.U. has its roots in the years after   World War II , created partly from a desire to ensure no such conflict could ever happen again. It is one of a handful of institutions that have come to define the postwar consensus and even the West itself — but a pact that in recent years has been put under extreme strain.

For the U.K., a powerful empire stretching across the world less than a century ago, Brexit is a historic milestone in its modern history, set to define its new alliances in a rapidly shifting geopolitical landscape. But even some supporters see it as a huge gamble.

In a recorded speech, the prime minister sought to help heal a deeply divided nation.

"Our job as the government — my job — is to bring this country together and take us forward," said Johnson, the leader of the Conservative Party. The party's decadeslong internecine battle over Britain's membership in the E.U. precipitated the 2016 Brexit vote.

"This is the dawn of a new era in which we no longer accept that your life chances — your family's life chances — should depend on which part of the country you grow up in," he added, a likely reference to the Conservatives' recent success in wooing voters from the north of England who had traditionally voted for the opposition.

200131-anti-brexit-se-111p_07b0fd5d88687 Anti-Brexit protester holds illuminated Union and E.U. flags near the Houses of Parliament in London. Tolga Akmen / AFP - Getty Images

To celebrate the event, thousands of people descended on a pro-Brexit rally outside Parliament, an event awash with union flags, but also other banners denouncing the "traitors" who oppose Brexit.

"I think it's great that it's happening, finally, after so much dither and delay," said Luke Doherty, 21, a student at Cardiff University in Wales, who was one of those who braved a drizzly night in central London. "At last, we're going to get on with what people voted for in 2016."

Chris Sergeant, 70, traveled down from Oxford to mark the occasion. "We're now free to do what we want," he said, wearing a knitted union flag sweater, hat and pin. "Anyone who isn't celebrating tonight, they've got to get over that."

People traveled from all over the U.K., with northern English, Welsh and Scottish accents heard among the crowd. Shouts of "Rule Britannia" and "Come on, England!" punctuated the night air, as well as angry boos for the media and anti-Brexit politicians.

Perhaps not wanting to gloat, the government opted for a modest light show and the release of a commemorative 50 pence coin, rather than an ostentatious fireworks display or a larger event.

Steve Baker, a Conservative lawmaker, tweeted that he was "bearing in mind our need to unite this country when many people feel great sorrow about leaving the E.U." He said he was "encouraging magnanimity from Brexit supporters."

200131-brexit-celebrations-se-615p_3829f Thousands of people packed out Parliament Square, in London, as the U.K. counted down to the moment of Brexit. Henry Nicholls / Reuters

But despite Johnson's and the government's conciliatory tone, the wounds of Brexit show little signs of healing.

After all,   the June 23, 2016, referendum   was a close one, with 52 percent voting to leave the E.U. and 48 percent to remain.   Recent polls suggest   that opinion has since swung the other way, but only just.

And, yet, this epochal moment will have   almost zero immediate impact   on Britons' daily lives.

Friday marks more of a starting point than a destination with months, if not years, of complex and surely difficult negotiations to go. The milestone triggers an 11-month transition period in which the U.K. and the E.U. will attempt to thrash out their future trading relationship.

Johnson says he wants a bespoke agreement that satisfies a string of promises that he sold to voters who elected him in December. Many in Europe, not to mention plenty of independent experts, say that given the lack of time, his goal is optimistic in the extreme.

Much is still uncertain about how the project will turn out, but economists are near unanimous in forecasting the divorce will do some level of economic damage to the U.K. and its neighbors.

Despite these warnings, polls suggest that most Brits who voted for Brexit still believe in it. Many did so because they felt too many decisions were taken in Brussels, the E.U.'s political heart. Others saw it as a way to curb immigration.

On the other side of this culture war, Remainers are more likely to be younger people, college graduates and ethnic minorities living in cities, and inclined to support issues such as multiculturalism, environmentalism and feminism,   according to polling .

Brexiteers are more likely to be older, less well-educated people living in regional towns, who tend to oppose those causes. They herald this as a new era of "global Britain," but critics worry it will expose the U.K. as a medium-size nation competing in a superpower world.

200131-brexit-celebrations-nigel-farage- Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage celebrates during the rally in London on Friday. Frank Augstein / AP

It also means Britain will try to forge a closer relationship with President Donald Trump — a man who is widely disliked here.

The president "has long supported the United Kingdom's sovereign decision to withdraw from the European Union," U.S. Ambassador Robert Johnson said in a statement Friday. "Now that the U.K. is back in control of its own trade policy, we look forward to achieving a broad free trade agreement that will increase prosperity and create jobs in both our countries."

The move also raises serious questions for the E.U. itself.

Aside from losing its second largest economy, the bloc — now depleted to 27 members — is struggling to respond to right-wing populism, climate change and growing competition between Washington and Beijing.

At midnight, for the first time in 70 years, a country will leave the European Union," French President Emmanuel Macron said in an address to his nation Friday. "It is a historic alarm signal that must be heard in each of our countries."

It also remains to be seen how Brexit will stress the bonds of the U.K. itself. In Scotland and Northern Ireland, where most people voted against leaving the E.U., support for independence from London   appears to be on the rise .

The Brexit process became so tumultuous that at times it looked like it might never happen.

Political norms have been shattered on a seemingly weekly basis. Brexit has seen two prime ministers, David Cameron and Theresa May, both humiliated, while Johnson has engaged in levels of political brinkmanship that shocked allies and opponents alike.

But Brexit was all but confirmed, however, when Johnson won resoundingly during a Dec. 12 election, and with it a mandate to drive through his Brexit plans.

For the anti-Brexit campaigners, the dream is over. Despite their best efforts, there is now no turning back, short of the distant prospect of applying to rejoin someday.

Aside from drowning their sorrows in pubs, there are also a number of europhile events dotted across the country, including the "Rally to rejoin the E.U." outside Parliament that 1,000 Facebook users say they will attend.

Their mood was summed up by Guy Verhofstadt, a lawmaker and Brexit coordinator in the European Parliament.

"Churchill's aspirational words still hold true today more than ever,"   he tweeted , followed by a quote from Britain's wartime leader. "Men will be proud to say 'I am a European.' We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

A great day for America and the U.K. Brexit and Trumps effective acquittal.  Time for a closer relationship between the U.K. and USA.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

@ Perrie

How do your relatives in England feel about this?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    4 years ago

They are mixed. My uncle and aunt are Brexit but their children are remainers. It seems the younger generation saw the benefit of being in the EU, and by younger I mean 35-47.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    4 years ago

From what I have seen, it seems to me the younger people wanted to remain. It was the older generations that wanted to leave.

It seems like here where the older generations tend to vote more.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    4 years ago

I guess freedom of travel through the European countries is more attractive to the younger generation while retaining traditional rights without restriction is better appreciated by the elders. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3  Ed-NavDoc    4 years ago

For some reason, every single time I see a photo of Boris Johnson, the first thing that comes to mind is, does this man own a comb at all?

squiggy
Junior Silent
3.2  squiggy  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3    4 years ago

Politicians don't seem inclined to use a mirror often...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  Vic Eldred    4 years ago

Happy Independence Day to the UK!  I hope President Trump arranges a special trade deal for our special friends.

a27ed46ca47d9f6a3129726a45849418
The British flag has been removed from its flagpole outside the European Parliament

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7  It Is ME    4 years ago

Goodbye, Europe. After years of Brexit turmoil, Britain finally leaves the E.U

Independence Day ….. AGAIN ! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
9  Thrawn 31    4 years ago

Good luck entering every negotiation from a substantially weaker position Britain!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

Brexit would have never happened if the North Country didn't vote for it and in reality, most Brits at the time didn't know what they were really voting for. It is a bit xenophobic. They wanted the Slavs out of the country. The northerners are quite hateful of even people who came in that were part of the commonwealth, like Indians, and Jamaicans. They don't like Jews either. 

Brexit has caused also a huge loss in the banking industry, which the UK was really involved in. It might also cause the loss of Scottland, which would be a huge economic loss. 

They did gain self-governance again. I suspect that was always in the back of their minds, hence why they kept the pound. 

How this will shake out, only time will tell. 

user image
Freshman Silent
10.1    replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @10    4 years ago

Why is xenophobia such a big problem with you? It is their homeland. They didnt immigrate  there they built it. Its only natural they want to protect it from other cultures. British culture is amazing and should  remain unadulterated. If you moved to China there would surely be many chinese who despise you because  you are not chinese. And you would understand that im sure. But if Britains do it, or french, or god forbid germans, than its wrong for some reason. Ill never understand  people like that

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  @10.1    4 years ago
there would surely be many chinese who despise you because  you are not chinese

Defending racism, are we?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
10.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  @10.1    4 years ago
They didnt immigrate  there they built it.

OMG...

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

user image
Freshman Silent
10.1.3    replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1.1    4 years ago

No im just pointing out it is human nature to be warry of foreingers. If you love your culture i think its instictive to want to protect it from other cultures. I really dont see that as being a bad trait. We should be open minded as to what other cultures have to offer, but understand they can pose a threat to native cultures. Nothing wrong with being worried about that. All things in moderation 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  @10.1.3    4 years ago

"Despise" does not equal "be warry (sic) of".

user image
Freshman Silent
10.1.5    replied to  Split Personality @10.1.2    4 years ago

Not sure what your problem is. An immigrant is someone who moves to a foreign country. England was founded by the anglos of the area, therefore they didnt immigrate to England, they founded it. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
10.1.6  Split Personality  replied to  @10.1.5    4 years ago
England was founded by the anglos of the area, therefore they didnt immigrate to England, they founded it. 

Utter nonsense. 

The Anglo Saxons were just one of many waves of invaders that settled in the British Isles.

People as we know them arrived on the British Isles some 400,000 years ago.

Around 700BC the Celts ruled from Turkey to Great Britain but the Romans despised them and fought them pushing them farther and farther north and west until they invaded Great Britain in  55BC providing at least some written history of that period; they were followed by the Germanic tribes, the Normans, the Norwegians, the Vikings, the French Gauls and the Scots over and over again. They share common ancestry with the Basgues of Spain & France.

They are a nation of immigrants who cling to their Celtic pasts because most of Europe, invaders and defenders alike, was at one time or another Celtic.

After "settling" the 2nd war with Scotland in 1357, England turned her eyes to the world, eventually invading all but 22 of the world's current countries, ( one of which is The Vatican )

They brought back Jews, Sikhs, Hindus, Africans and Muslims by the boatloads over the last thousand years.  Fully 20% of the UK was non white at the 2011 census.

The Syrian refugees that they are freaking out about are actually white Christians and Muslims.

But they aren't really white or Christian to the average white British Brexit supporter.

Pretty typical racism and selfishness.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
10.1.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  @10.1    4 years ago

Don't suppose you are familiar with the Norse, the Normans, the Anglo-Saxons, or the Celts?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
10.2  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @10    4 years ago

Tiny Switzerland is a world renowned banking hub and was never in the EU. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

It is xenophobia because these people are part of the commonwealth and as part are allowed to immigrate to the UK. You seem to forget that,  I lived there, so I heard what the people said and it ain't pretty. Hell, they called my kids mixed race, because they thought my husband, who's people came from Hungry, looked Arab. They said this to my face as a kind of backhanded compliment. "Oh look at those twinies. Aren't they pretty? Goes to show that mixed-race children can come out looking so pretty. 

Lovely to hear when you are visiting a stately home. And they were only starting up when a similar minded family joined the group. Then we got to hear who else they hated and why they were supporting the BNP. 

As for China, ask Buzz if he finds it xenophobic. I don't talk about what I don't know.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
12  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

"Europe" was sold to the people as a lie. It's interesting recall the Europhile promises that were promised when England voted to join the common market. How they'd never lose any sovereignty, how they'd always have the right vote on further integration  etc.. Those who saw the common market as the first step in a much larger political project were ridiculed as cranks and were dismissed as outside of the mainstream.

And Brexit really only became a possibility with the appalling handling of the Lisbon Treaty,when Blair reneged on a promise to hold a referendum despite overwhelming popular support for the referundum, the leave party got it's legs. Because it was clear the elites were simply going to keep handing more control over to Brussels without any reference to the will of the people.  Thus the typical anti-Democratic handling of Lisbon caused enough of a backlash to force a promise of a referendum the next time Europe took more power from Parliament.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
12.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @12    4 years ago

Actually Sean, you kind of hit the nail on the head as to what happened. I wouldn't use the word "elites". It seems these days that having a brain is something to put down. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
12.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12.1    4 years ago

I have read and watched different versions of "pride and prejudice",  even "pride and prejudice and zombies",

the latest erudition of the story.

All it boils down to is a caste system of olde, which modern Brits apparently want to return to.

More white nationalism, Victorian style.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
13  bbl-1    4 years ago

Britain, under the guidance of Farage and the political manipulation of Johnson has taken Britain from the European Alliance.  Time will tell how this works out.  It may be positive or it may be negative.  Yet there is another question which should be pondered concerning this exit.  The question is whether this is an advantage to Putin's future plans in his dealings with Europe? 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
13.1  Split Personality  replied to  bbl-1 @13    4 years ago

Of course it is.  It is as true today as it was when Ben Franklin said it first.

We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately.

Benjamin Franklin

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
13.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  Split Personality @13.1    4 years ago

Then, if Putin's and Russian geopolitical interests were at play and involved in this Brexit ordeal, then why did the British electorate decide to do this?  Are Russian sympathies gaining strength in the Western democracies?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
13.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  bbl-1 @13.1.1    4 years ago

The British miss the caste system of the gilded Victorian age.

Nothing more, nothing less. friend BBL

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
13.1.3  bbl-1  replied to  Split Personality @13.1.2    4 years ago

Pondered your thoughts.  I will politely disagree.  The Brits have done well since the so called Gilded Age faded into the dust bin of nostalgia.  I suspect the realization of competing in an even more competitive world has many of them in awe.  Afraid to confront it and unsure how to succeed.  Therefore, the Putin play of fear and division coaxed many of them to take the easier path which will prove to be the wrong one and the most difficult.

This is my take.  Putin is assaulting The Western Democracies. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
13.1.4  Split Personality  replied to  bbl-1 @13.1.3    4 years ago

The two ideas are not mutually exclusive of each other.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
13.2  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  bbl-1 @13    4 years ago
Time will tell how this works out

when it is shown britains economy improved from leaving, more countries will follow the uk.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
14  The Magic 8 Ball    4 years ago

trade agreements that magically turn into a government?  ludicrous plan from the word go.

the good news? gloablism is toast.

where ever the USA and the UK go?   the world follows.   (still true to this day)

Remainers are more likely to be younger people, college graduates and ethnic minorities living in cities, and inclined to support issues such as multiculturalism, environmentalism and feminism, 

Brexiteers are more likely to be older, less well-educated people living in regional towns, 

a college degree does not make people wiser. life experience does.

Ender
Professor Principal
14.1  Ender  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @14    4 years ago

Depends I guess on what tiny part of the world one is in.

If globalism is toast, say goodbye to cellphones, laptops, flat screen tvs...

Might have a hard time getting a complete automobile.

Hell trump would have to discontinue his merchandise.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
14.1.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @14.1    4 years ago
If globalism is toast, say goodbye to cellphones, laptops, flat screen tvs

not a chance. nice fear mongering though.... top job :)

globalism and trade are two completely different things.

hint: it is possible to trade apples, oranges, and cars without imposing laws on the people made by unelected people from other countries. 

trade agreements that magically turn into governments will always fail.  globalism is toast. 

people prefer global trade and local government, 

had the eu not got involved in telling brits how to live, where they can fish and such the eu would have lasted much longer.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
14.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @14.1.1    4 years ago
trade agreements that magically turn into governments will always fail

please entertain us with examples.

I'll go make some popcorn.

Ender
Professor Principal
14.1.3  Ender  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @14.1.1    4 years ago

I hate to break it to you but, trade is globalism.

When parts for things come from different corners of the globe, one cannot make it by themselves.

I also have to ask...How would a trade agreement turn into government?

You really lost me on that one. That would mean our government consists of our current agreements...

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
14.1.4  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Split Personality @14.1.2    4 years ago
please entertain us with examples.

its called the EU 

look it up.

"we thought it was a common market and now know it is a political union."   

Split Personality
Professor Guide
14.1.5  Split Personality  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @14.1.4    4 years ago

Nice try.  LMAO !!!

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
14.1.6  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @14.1.3    4 years ago
How would a trade agreement turn into government?

the eu started as a trade agreement -  im sure the brits can explain it to you.

good news is we did not give hillary the chance to send us into the same type of trap the brits got caught in. 

the tpp and paris agreement are now dead as door nails = globalists lose.

Ender
Professor Principal
14.1.7  Ender  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @14.1.6    4 years ago

I wanted you to explain it to me.

Do you actually think Hillary would have caused a Brexit? Seems that is trumps job.

Is globalist the new boogie man? If so call me one. I have traveled and all.

Is it possible to have trade and other agreements with other countries and not be global?

Or should one just become tribal and isolated.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
14.1.8  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @14.1.3    4 years ago
I hate to break it to you but, trade is globalism.

don't worry yourself about me... you're wrong.

we have in the past and will in the future trade apples, oranges, and even cars without forming new "political unions"

this country will never have a globalist entity dictating our domestic laws to us and it seems the uk has had enough of that already.

global trade is not new... globalism is and it is dying right before our eyes.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
14.1.9  Split Personality  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @14.1.6    4 years ago

Last I checked France elected their own government and some dufus named Marcon is their Dear Leader.

That's a government.  The EU is a massive trade agreement, a unified market place ( minus one disgruntled Britain)

The EU is not a government regardless of what our retarded British cousins currently believe.

Ender
Professor Principal
14.1.10  Ender  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @14.1.8    4 years ago

So according to you, globalism only consists of politics.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
14.1.11  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @14.1.10    4 years ago

when a trade agreement starts writing domestic laws in other countries?  that is a government.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
14.1.12  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @14.1.7    4 years ago
Do you actually think Hillary would have caused a Brexit?

I never said that... LOL. but I will say this...

by enforcing the tpp and paris agreements on our country hillary would have started civil war.. and not the fun kind of civil war either.  our states will never be told what to do by any foreign entity without one hell of a fight first.

Ender
Professor Principal
14.1.13  Ender  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @14.1.8    4 years ago

If global trade is not globalism, then what is it? A sly drop off at the border?

I know some of y'all are content to break from every pact we have ever made with the rest of the world yet believe me, a lot are not happy.

Talking about dictating, when that is exactly what one is doing, all the while ignoring reality.

"Globalism" is not some weird cult or secret society. Talk about fear mongering (to the lowest common denominator).

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
14.1.14  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @14.1.13    4 years ago
If global trade is not globalism, then what is it?

I already answered that... move along.

Ender
Professor Principal
14.1.15  Ender  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @14.1.12    4 years ago

Hahaha

Give me a break. So now if Hillary was elected there would have been a civil war and all hell breaking loose.

conservatives do love to threaten....

Enforcing pacts, agreements already made be damned. God forbid we abide by them.

Do you even hear yourself?

Ender
Professor Principal
14.1.16  Ender  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @14.1.14    4 years ago
move along

Is this your seed? Did you write this? Do you have the authority to tell people when and where they can participate?

That's what I thought....

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
14.1.17  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @14.1.15    4 years ago
Enforcing pacts agreements already made be damned.

trade agreements do not require mucking about with a countries domestic laws

note: among other things. the brits will be getting their fishing waters back.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
14.1.18  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @14.1.16    4 years ago
Is this your seed? Did you write this?

matters not one bit.

as I said, I already answered that question.

[Deleted]

[your choice.]

Ender
Professor Principal
14.1.19  Ender  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @14.1.17    4 years ago

Then why can we have an agreement with China that they cannot steal technology? If their current laws do not stop it, who are we to say they can't with a trade agreement?

Why should our trade agreements have labour protections and standards for Mexico and Canada?

Is that not interfering in their domestic laws?

Ender
Professor Principal
14.1.20  Ender  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @14.1.18    4 years ago

The choice is yours. Respond or not. Seems some can't help themselves.

You answered no question. Only that you think globalism is some kind of devious one world order.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
14.1.21  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @14.1.15    4 years ago
conservatives do love to threaten....

there are threats and there are promises.  they are not the same things.

our states will never be told what to do by any foreign entity without one hell of a fight first.

that? is a promise.

Ender
Professor Principal
14.1.22  Ender  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @14.1.21    4 years ago

So is there a threaten to promise, or a promise to threaten...

Breaking news...trade agreements are countries telling each other what they will do.

Unless of course people want to say fuck you and break promises while threatening.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
14.1.23  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @14.1.20    4 years ago
Only that you think globalism is some kind of devious one world order.

I never said that... LOL  stop playing with your imagination, your ears will grow hair.. LOL

You answered no question.

yes, I did.

note: among other things. the brits will be getting their fishing waters back.

and....

when a trade agreement starts writing domestic laws in other countries?  that is a government.

I answered your question several times... you just did not like the answer

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
14.1.24  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @14.1.22    4 years ago
trade agreements are countries telling each other what they will do.

only in regards to trade - nothing else.

it is only fairly recently that progressives started using trade agreements to involve themselves in another countries  domestic laws.

good news? those days are ending right before our eyes.

a great time to be alive :)

Ender
Professor Principal
14.1.25  Ender  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @14.1.23    4 years ago

Let me just say I will never understand what your position is.

It seems like, how dare another country have any kind of leg up off of my back.

Not the way I work or think.

But I am going to sign off. Might sign in tomorrow.

Same bat time, same bat place.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
14.1.26  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @14.1.25    4 years ago

Let me just say I will never understand what your position is.

[Deleted

[cheers :)]

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
15  The Magic 8 Ball    4 years ago

the eu lost all leverage they thought they had.

details on any further trade deals start at around 15mins

jump to the good stuff here