Rush Limbaugh reveals advanced lung cancer diagnosis

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  8 months ago  •  68 comments

Rush Limbaugh reveals advanced lung cancer diagnosis
https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2020/02/03/rush-limbaugh-advanced-lung-cancer-diagnosis-revealed-radio-show/4648306002/

Rush Limbaugh revealed he has been diagnosed with an advanced lung cancer.

The longtime conservative commentator and radio host   announced the news Monday on his radio show.

"This day has been one of the most difficult days in recent memory for me. I've known this moment is coming in the program. ... I'm sure that you all know by now that I really don't like talking about myself and I don't like making things about me," Limbaugh said. "I like this program to be about you and the things that matter to all of us." 

"I have been diagnosed with advanced lung cancer," Limbaugh said,   adding that his diagnosis was confirmed by "two medical institutions back on Jan. 20."

Limbaugh said he first realized something was wrong on his birthday weekend last month.

"I thought about not telling anybody; I thought about doing this without anybody knowing, because I don't like making things about me," Limbaugh said. "But there are going to be days when I'm not able to be here because I'm undergoing treatment or I'm reacting to treatment."

He added: "I hope I will be talking about this as little as necessary in the coming days, but we have a great bunch of doctors, a great team assembled we're at full speed ahead of this."

Limbaugh said he decided to explain what was going on in his life because he knew it would excite curiosity if he wasn't at his usual post every day. 

"It’s not that I want to fool anybody, it’s just that I don’t want to burden anybody with it and I haven’t wanted to," he said. "But it is what it is. "You know me, I’m the mayor of Realville.

"What led to shortness of breath that I thought might have been asthma or my heart. … It was not that. It was a pulmonary problem involving malignancy," he explained. "I’m going to be gone the next couple days as we figure out the treatment course of action and have further testing done. But as I said, I’m going to be there as often as I can.”

USA TODAY has reached out to Limbaugh's reps for comment.

Only last month Limbaugh, whose contract was due to expire later this year, renewed his deal with syndication company Premiere Radio Networks – and it was his friend President Donald Trump who shared news that it was a four-year deal.

Limbaugh, 69, is the leading conservative talk radio host, a star of the airwaves for more than three decades having gotten his start in the 1970s. According to Talkers, which tracks audience numbers for talk radio,  Limbaugh is the most-listened to radio host in the country, with 15.5 million listeners tuning in  weekly as of December 2019. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

JohnRussell
1  author  JohnRussell    8 months ago

I'll say a prayer for Limbaugh, one of these days. 

He has lived by hate for 30 years,  the tears will all come from his listeners. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @1    8 months ago
He has lived by hate for 30 years,

[Deleted]

Jeremy Retired in NC
1.2.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.2    8 months ago

Oh.  Did I hurt somebody's feelings again?

squiggy
1.3  squiggy  replied to  JohnRussell @1    8 months ago

[deleted]

devangelical
1.4  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @1    8 months ago

tragic. thoughts and prayers. bfd

Vic Eldred
1.6  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1    8 months ago

I'm wishing him all the best in his fight against cancer. I understand he will continue hosting his show, except for treatment.

lady in black
2  lady in black    8 months ago

Vile man, won't shed a tear if cancer takes him.

PJ
2.1  PJ  replied to  lady in black @2    8 months ago

I won't shed a tear for him or his followers.  fuck em every single one.  

JohnRussell
2.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  PJ @2.1    8 months ago

I have had both a close friend and a brother in law die from lung cancer in recent years.  They were both "advanced" when they were diagnosed. Most likely Limbaugh wont be around much past next inauguration day. 

PJ
2.1.2  PJ  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    8 months ago

I have also lost loved ones from cancer.  I don't consider Rush human, he fegus.

cjcold
2.2  cjcold  replied to  lady in black @2    8 months ago

Just figure it's karma. He used those lungs to spew vile lies and hate for decades.

MrFrost
3  MrFrost    8 months ago

Well, I am sure he knows a housekeeper or two than can get him some pain meds. 

MrFrost
4  MrFrost    8 months ago

Ed-NavDoc
5  Ed-NavDoc    8 months ago

Personally, I would say a prayer for any individual diagnosed with that terrible disease, no matter what their political views or leanings. I will also say one for their loved ones as well. It is still a matter of human compassion.

XDm9mm
5.1  XDm9mm  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @5    8 months ago
Personally, I would say a prayer for any individual diagnosed with that terrible disease, no matter what their political views or leanings. I will also say one for their loved ones as well. It is still a matter of human compassion.

Ergo, the difference between those of us on the right who actually feel and display compassion for our fellow man, even those who we disagree with, as opposed to so many on the left who give it lip service while hoping ill will on any and all that don't think exactly like they do.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
5.1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1    8 months ago
Ergo, the difference between those of us on the right who actually feel and display compassion for our fellow man, even those who we disagree with,

Alrighty then with the broad brush.  

Although Mr. Limbaugh has hurt many with his heinous partisan behavior and disgusting commentary, I would never wish him to suffer in such a way.  I don't agree when others do it, but I also understand that tensions are high and people say things out of frustration and anger.  Case in point:  Would I like to run over Donald Trump with my car?  Of course.  But only metaphorically. 

XD, there are people on this very site who wished me a great deal of suffering  during my cancer treatment.  They are friends of yours, but what's really interesting is that when they made their comments, I had yet to share any dialogue with them whatsoever.  There is another person who was thrilled beyond words to learn that I have a chemo-induced hearing impairment.  To be honest, that bothered me more than the thinly-veiled death-wishing.

My point?  Both sides do it.  Is it right?  No, but it's certainly understandable.  

Kathleen
5.1.2  Kathleen  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.1.1    8 months ago

Then maybe this should be a turning point for us all to be more compassionate with each other. Maybe this thread after all is turning out to have a better purpose.

Have a nice evening all.

Sean Treacy
5.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1    8 months ago

Its one of those things I've noticed over the years, that many idealogical leftwingers tend to love "people" only in the abstract, and tend to be vicious to actual people. They seem to lack any empathy towards actual humans, even if they pat themselves on the back for being humanists.

John Lennon said something interesting along those lines but I can't remember it exactly. Something about the more someone talks about peace and love the more you can be sure they are  a violent, angry person in private. He was speaking from self knowledge as someone who  beat his wives and abused his children while preaching peace.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.1.1    8 months ago

I will vouch for everything that the good sister said and agree with her totally.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.3    8 months ago

Sean,

You seem to forget that this man brokered hate for a living, so how can it be just a left wing thing?

I think the song you were looking for was not a John Lennon song, but from "Hair", "Easy to be hard". I would like to remind some of you, that A. Mac, often cited that song as his favorite. 

How can people be so heartless
How can people be so cruel
Easy to be hard
Easy to be cold

How can people have no feelings
How can they ignore their friends
Easy to be proud
Easy to say no

And especially people
Who care about strangers
Who care about evil
And social injustice
Do you only
Care about the bleeding crowd?
How about a needing friend?
I need a friend

How can people be so heartless
You know I'm hung up on you
Easy to give in
Easy to help out

And especially people
Who care about strangers
Who say they care about social injustice
Do you only
Care about the bleeding crowd
How about a needing friend?
I need a friend

How can people have no feelings
How can they ignore their friends
Easy to be hard
Easy to be cold
Easy to be proud
Easy to say no

dennis smith
5.1.6  dennis smith  replied to  Kathleen @5.1.2    8 months ago

Absolutely. 

Sean Treacy
5.1.7  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.5    8 months ago

Please, Perrie, Limbaugh brokers hate?  hyperbolic much?

But that misses the point of what I said entirely.  It's not about Limbaugh, its about people reveling in the pain and suffering of others.  If "hate brokers" like Maddow, or Jon Stewart or Bill Maher announced they had advanced cancer tomorrow, I won't be on this site celebrating their misfortune. Nor will conservative reporters go on twitter discussing how much better the world will be with their deaths.

In a country of hundreds of millions, there will be some inappropriate reactions of course. But the left's "leaders" revel in the celebration and its so accepted that people on sites like this are quite open about it.  It's the widespread prevalence and tolerance of such abhorrent behavior that differentiates progressives on the issue.

No, it a John Lennon statement. Because I at least gave him some credit for self awareness, even if he was a monster towards his family.

katrix
5.1.8  katrix  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.7    8 months ago
Please, Perrie, Limbaugh brokers hate?

Yes, he absolutely does.

And while I disagree with those who are celebrating this, there are plenty on your side who would be doing the same thing if it were Hillary Clinton.

Kathleen
5.1.9  Kathleen  replied to  katrix @5.1.8    8 months ago

Not I.

Gee, I wonder what the reactions would be if it were Trump?

I bet some on here would throw a huge party.

Jeremy Retired in NC
5.1.10  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.1.1    8 months ago

"Although Mr. Limbaugh has hurt many..."

The man made a living talking.  If you cant handle somebody talking, you may want to consider becoming a shut in.  It will be far safer for you in that you wont have to hear opposing points of view that may "hurt" you.

CB
5.1.11  CB   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.10    8 months ago

Jeremy, let's not kid ourselves. Words are powerful. Words can be proper, manipulated, abusive, or abused. After all, every lie ever told has a foundation established through a grunt, inflection, or expression. Rush L., uses his words to make a mighty fine living you wrote - well, surely radio is not paying him for his interesting look! Therefore, his voice is 'golden' because it delivers stated results.

DRHunk
5.1.12  DRHunk  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.7    8 months ago
If "hate brokers" like Maddow, or Jon Stewart or Bill Maher

I literally just fell out of my chair laughing. 2 comedians and an actual journalist.....Hate Brokers....OMFGSDF.

I hope you realize that Limbaugh and Hannity regularly remind their listeners that they are not journalists and are only being paid as entertainers and everything they say is their opinion, and yes their form of entertainment is to create divisiveness and hate.

MUVA
5.1.13  MUVA  replied to  katrix @5.1.8    8 months ago

No 

MrFrost
5.2  MrFrost  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @5    8 months ago
Personally, I would say a prayer for any individual diagnosed with that terrible disease,

Thanks my friend...

Kathleen
6  Kathleen    8 months ago

The responses on this thread are prime example of what is wrong with our politics and nation. 

I may not agree with this man and his views, but I do have compassion for anyone with a cancer diagnosis. 

I am sure you all can understand that..

XDm9mm
6.1  XDm9mm  replied to  Kathleen @6    8 months ago
The responses on this thread are prime example of what is wrong with our politics and nation. 

Yes they are Kathleen.  And what's worse, is that you yourself will likely be a target of their vitriol for expressing that sentiment.

I may not agree with this man and his views, but I do have compassion for anyone with a cancer diagnosis. 

Per the oh so all inclusive left, if you don't hate like they do, you'll likely be branded with the same hate they display for Rush.

I am sure you all can understand that..

Rational people do.  Rational is the operative word.

Kathleen
6.1.1  Kathleen  replied to  XDm9mm @6.1    8 months ago

I just can’t do that. I guess there is a time that you have to put things aside for the humanity of it. Nothing surprises me anymore.

MrFrost
6.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  XDm9mm @6.1    8 months ago

I started a thread right here on this spot, when Barbara Bush died. She was an amazing women, I had the honor of shaking her hand and having her hug me in return...She was fantastic... Limbaugh embodied nothing Bush did. Fact. 

dennis smith
6.1.3  dennis smith  replied to  Kathleen @6.1.1    8 months ago

Fortunately there are few of either political persuasion who have so much hate they have lost compassion.

Ed-NavDoc
6.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kathleen @6    8 months ago

Very well said Kathleen!

Kathleen
6.2.2  Kathleen  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @6.2    8 months ago

I like what you said too... : )

The first sentence was from my husband.

MrFrost
6.2.3  MrFrost  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @6.2    8 months ago

I, as did you, fought to defend everyone....Ed. 

Trout Giggles
6.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  MrFrost @6.2.3    8 months ago

Thank you and Ed for your service.

JohnRussell
6.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Kathleen @6    8 months ago
I may not agree with this man and his views,

but you do agree with him. 

Kathleen
6.3.1  Kathleen  replied to  JohnRussell @6.3    8 months ago

Whatever John, it’s just mean.

JohnRussell
6.3.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Kathleen @6.3.1    8 months ago

If Limbaugh lives 20 or 30 more years, it wont bother me a bit.   I am not hoping he dies.   But much like if it happened to Trump, I'm not all choked up about it. He has needlessly attacked and berated hundreds if not thousands of people over the years simply because they opposed his ideology. 

MUVA
6.3.3  MUVA  replied to  JohnRussell @6.3.2    8 months ago

Just like you look in the mirror.

Tacos!
6.3.4  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @6.3.2    8 months ago
He has needlessly attacked and berated hundreds if not thousands of people over the years simply because they opposed his ideology. 

Just spend a few minutes reflecting on that. 

And that goes for a lot of folks.

JohnRussell
6.3.5  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @6.3.4    8 months ago

I dont attack people, I attack what they say. 

It might be interesting to look at what some people on this forum said about Ted kennedy when he was dying of brain cancer, or even more recently, John McCain. 

Was every right winger on this forum respectful of John McCain when he was dying?  Thats not the way I recall it. 

MUVA
6.3.6  MUVA  replied to  JohnRussell @6.3.5    8 months ago

[deleted]

Tacos!
6.3.7  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @6.3.5    8 months ago
I dont attack people

I'm so glad to hear it because that would be wrong. 

JaneDoe
6.4  JaneDoe  replied to  Kathleen @6    8 months ago
The responses on this thread are prime example of what is wrong with our politics and nation.  I may not agree with this man and his views, but I do have compassion for anyone with a cancer diagnosis. 

I have never listened to any of Mr. Limbaugh’s shows so I am not a fan but I have watched too many people I love suffer and die at the hands of cancer.

I, as a decent human being would never wish or take any joy in the fact that someone was diagnosed with it. I don’t care how much you don’t care for them!! It’s disgusting!! It also shows how awful and hate filled some people really are. 

Normal people who possess the ability to feel empathy don’t like to see others suffer. On the other hand self absorbed, hateful assholes do.

Kathleen
6.4.1  Kathleen  replied to  JaneDoe @6.4    8 months ago

Agreed my friend.

I truly wonder  what kind of people we are conversing with on here. Cold, nasty, immature, childish and bitter.

Oh well, that’s their problem not ours.

Have a good night.

MrFrost
6.5  MrFrost  replied to  Kathleen @6    8 months ago

[Deleted]

XDm9mm
7  XDm9mm    8 months ago

Good luck with whatever comes your way Rush.  It's a vile disease that no one should suffer, but at least you have the will and determination to put up a good fight going forward.

MrFrost
7.1  MrFrost  replied to  XDm9mm @7    8 months ago

Good luck with whatever comes your way Rush.  It's a vile disease that no one should suffer, but at least you have the will and determination to put up a good fight going forward.

Agreed. Most of my family on my moms side of the family died of cancer. It IS a horrible disease. I would wish it on no one, not even Rush. All we can do is hope for a cure. 

Tacos!
8  Tacos!    8 months ago

I'm guessing he smokes (smoked)?

squiggy
8.1  squiggy  replied to  Tacos! @8    8 months ago

Yea, this is where all the ex-smokers hear the bell, somewhere off in the fog.

Just Jim NC TttH
8.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tacos! @8    8 months ago
I'm guessing he smokes (smoked)?

He used to from what I remember. Thus his "I hold here in my formerly nicotine stained hands" when he reads off of a sheet of paper. I think he still has an occasional cigar.

PJ
9  PJ    8 months ago

[Deleted]  To worship at the feet of the most horrible person to lead our country and then act like you have any credibility to demand others be nice or to try and shame others for doing unto others as trump does to everyone.

This is the america you wanted.  [Deleted]

JohnRussell
9.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  PJ @9    8 months ago
toddstarnes
@toddstarnes
Prayer Warriors, we need to pray for Rush Limbaugh. Pray without ceasing that the Lord will heal Rush. Pray for the Limbaugh family - that the Lord will sustain them with love and kindness. God bless you, Rush!
===================================================
Todd Starnes is the nut case that was fired by Fox News (if you can believe that) for being too right wing extremist . 

MrFrost
10  MrFrost    8 months ago

I am not a fan of Rush.... But I fought for him the same way I fought for every American. If you don't like me for doing that? Let me know, I will give you an address, and we can, "discuss" it.

Ed-NavDoc
10.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  MrFrost @10    8 months ago

Amen Frosty, amen!

Kathleen
10.1.1  Kathleen  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @10.1    8 months ago

Thank you for your service Ed.

MrFrost
10.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @10.1    8 months ago

Amen Frosty, amen!

Amen to you Brother... Without people like you, there would be no, "us". *hugs*

CB
11  CB     8 months ago

Rush Limbaugh? I will hold my peace, and allow God's way with him:

Luke12:15. Then [Jesus] said to them, "Beware, and be on your guard against every form of greed; for NOT EVEN when one has an abundance does his life consist of his possessions." . . . .

Trout Giggles
12  Trout Giggles    8 months ago

I don't pray but I don't wish cancer on anyone even my worse enemy. I've had far too many people taken from me because of cancer and I will probably fall victim to it some day myself.

Having said that, I won't shed a tear when Limbaugh passes on but I won't throw a party, either. It will be probably a "that's sad" and then move on. I won't fake compassion for the sumbitch but I don't wish him a lingering death, either.

CB
12.1  CB   replied to  Trout Giggles @12    8 months ago

Well said and delivered. Many can say good things about Limbaugh from their perspectives, I can not and will not feign to care. Sad though I am about cancer in anybody. There are teachable moments in life and maybe this can be one for all of us, me included, as to what should REALLY matter in life: People before excesses.

Luke 12. 16 And he gave them this illustration: “There was a man whose land was very productive. 17 He debated with himself, ‘What should I do? I haven’t enough room for all my crops.’ 18 Then he said, ‘This is what I will do: I’ll tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and I’ll store all my wheat and other goods there. 19 Then I’ll say to myself, “You’re a lucky man! You have a big supply of goods laid up that will last many years. Start taking it easy! Eat! Drink! Enjoy yourself!”’ 20 But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night you will die! And the things you prepared — whose will they be? 21 That’s how it is with anyone who stores up wealth for himself without being rich toward God.”

I wish Limbaugh a better tomorrow in humility, comfort, and grace which God provides. It is enough.

Trout Giggles
12.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  CB @12.1    8 months ago

Humility would be a nice change. Hugs to you, CB

CB
12.1.2  CB   replied to  Trout Giggles @12.1.1    8 months ago

How nice! I simply adore me some 'Trout'!!!

Wheel
13  Wheel    8 months ago

I can only hope that Rush will receive all the compassion, caring, and support that he has shown to PoC, immigrants, LGBT, and the poor throughout his years on radio.  He deserves, at least, that much.

MUVA
13.1  MUVA  replied to  Wheel @13    8 months ago

Maybe he will receive compassion for  the millions he has raised for cancer research or the million for tunnels to towers.