By:   ALAN FRAM

Democrats' response to Trump turns to working-class worries

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Democrats' response to Trump turns to working-class worries

ALAN FRAM

February 4, 2020, 8:10 PM EST

• 2d0b2c858be92676eb41caed324e0708 1  / 2

State of Union Democrats

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer speaks with reporters, Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2020, at her office in Lansing, Mich., about delivering the Democratic response tonight to President Donald Trump's State of the Union address. She says she will focus on "dinner-table issues" such as infrastructure, jobs and health care. (AP Photo/David Eggert)

WASHINGTON (AP) — Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer used Democrats' response to   President Donald Trump's State of the Union address   to swivel from impeachment to working-class voters' worries, saying her party is focusing on easing health care costs and other pocket-book concerns.

Whitmer mentioned Trump's impeachment trial only briefly near the end of her nearly 11-minute speech Tuesday. She sprinkled in passing references to his behavior, such as, “Bullying people on Twitter doesn’t fix bridges — it burns them."

But she spent the bulk of her address touting Democratic efforts on health care and people's struggles to pay their bills, issues that helped her party   win House control in 2018 .

“It’s pretty simple. Democrats are trying to make your health care better. Republicans in Washington are trying to take it away,” Whitmer said from Michigan's East Lansing High School, which her daughters attend.

Her remarks were nearly overshadowed by an extraordinary gesture moments earlier by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif. Seated directly behind Trump in the House chamber, Pelosi marked the end of the address by   theatrically tearing her copy of his remarks , dramatizing the bitter gulf between the two sides as this year's presidential and congressional election campaigns commence.

Democrats won House control in 2018 by lambasting unsuccessful efforts by Trump and congressional Republicans to repeal President Barack Obama's health care law. Democrats say they will concentrate on health care in this year's campaign as well, including opposing an administration-backed federal lawsuit aimed at declaring Obama's statute unconstitutional.

Trump's impeachment   has dominated Washington since the fall. In a remarkable confluence of events, the GOP-run Senate was set to acquit him Wednesday, less than 24 hours after his address.

“As we witness the impeachment process in Washington there are some things each of us, no matter our party, should demand," Whitmer said. “The truth matters. Facts matter. And no one should be above the law."

Democrats' selection of Whitmer, 48, underscored their determination to improve their performance in the Midwest in November's elections.

Trump captured Michigan in 2016 by fewer than 11,000 votes by appealing to lower-earning workers, winning a state that hadn't voted for the GOP presidential candidate since 1988. Trump also won over enough working-class white voters to score slender victories in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania and to win Ohio handily.

Reaching out to those voters, Whitmer acknowledged their struggles to afford transportation, student loans and prescription drugs.

“Michigan invented the middle class," she said. “So, we know if the economy doesn’t work for working people, it just doesn’t work."

Whitmer's prominent role also highlighted her party's outreach to women, who've soured on Trump's belligerent style and whose growing support helped Democrats make big gains in suburban districts in 2018.

Whitmer was elected governor easily that year over a Trump-backed Republican, and she's been mentioned as a potential vice presidential nominee.

In Democrats' Spanish-language response, freshman Texas Rep. Veronica Escobar focused on health care and workers' struggles to get by.

Speaking from a community center in her home town of El Paso near the Mexican border, Escobar also described last August's mass killing there by a shooter she said “used hateful language like the very words used by President Trump to describe immigrants and Latinos."

Escobar also touched on Trump's impeachment, saying that he'd jeopardized the next election and threatened national security with his efforts to pressure Ukraine, an ally fighting Russian-backed insurgents, to produce damaging information on political rival Joe Biden.

“We Democrats will continue to fight for truth and for what is right. No one is above the law," Escobar said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer used Democrats' response to      President Donald Trump's State of the Union address       to swivel from impeachment to working-class voters' worries, saying her party is focusing on easing health care costs and other pocket-book concerns.

Whitmer mentioned Trump's impeachment trial only briefly near the end of her nearly 11-minute speech Tuesday. She sprinkled in passing references to his behavior, such as, “Bullying people on Twitter doesn’t fix bridges — it burns them."

But she spent the bulk of her address touting Democratic efforts on health care and people's struggles to pay their bills, issues that helped her party    win House control in 2018  .

“It’s pretty simple. Democrats are trying to make your health care better. Republicans in Washington are trying to take it away,” Whitmer said from Michigan's East Lansing High School, which her daughters attend.

user image
Freshman Silent
1.1    replied to  Tessylo @1    4 years ago

Democrats are trying to make your health care better

BS. They are not trying to make my healthcare better. They are trying to get me to make YOUR healthcare better. I already have great healthcare. I did before Obamacare. If you want great healthcare you can have it. Just do what I did and get a job in a career field that doesn't include flipping burgers at a fast food joint.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to    4 years ago

YOU DON'T PAY FOR MY HEALTH CARE.  I AND MY EMPLOYER PAY FOR MY  HEALTH CARE.  

I do pay for my health care.

So you obviously don't want the working poor to have affordable health care.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.4  seeder  Tessylo  replied to    4 years ago

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Sparty On  replied to    4 years ago
Education is the key...but the debate is focused on 'choice' rather than where it belongs...on giving every child an opportunity to succeed.

I agree but many of those horses have already left the barn.  

Horse one:  The "choice" movement only came around because of failing public schools.

Horse two:  Personal accountability.   You can lead a child to an education but you can't make them get it.    Many of us sacrificed to get our education while some smoked, drank and otherwise mocked others for working so hard to get one.   Too late now for those folks to bitch about their OWN bad choices .....

Horse three:   Taxpayers are tired of not getting their money's worth from public schools and are reticent to pass more tax bonds to fund a failing system

user image
Freshman Silent
1.1.7    replied to    4 years ago
institutionally biased factors

Sorry but destroying your own neighborhood, robbing and destroying local businesses, letting gangs run rampant and not turning them into the police, dropping out of public schooling, refusing to hold a job, are just a few of the things that cause people to not have "equal access". No one is forcing communities to behave this way and I'm certainly not going to reward them with my tax money for generations of bad choices. At least I won't vote for it that is.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.9  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.5    4 years ago

This has nothing to do with the so called choice movement.  I don't want my tax dollars to pay for religious or private schools.  

So you're all for draining money away from public education to charter schools and religious and private schools then.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.11  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.9    4 years ago
This has nothing to do with the so called choice movement.

It has everything to do with the choice movement

I don't want my tax dollars to pay for religious or private schools.

I don't care.   That's your problem. 

So you're all for draining money away from public education to charter schools and religious and private schools then.

I'm for successful public schools and against failing public schools.   Public schools can and do succeed all over this country.   There is no reason for them not to except for those who refuse to fix antiquated, failing public school business models.

That's their problem not the rest of us. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.12  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.11    4 years ago

It has nothing to do with the so called choice movement.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.14  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.9    4 years ago

I also notice that they are all espousing about the "failing" public schools, but ignore all the "failing" religious and private schools.  We can take steps towards improving the public schools, religious and private schools are largely uncontrolled.

Why Private Schools Are Dying Out

Louisiana promised children a way out of bad public schools – then steered thousands to D- and F-grade private campuses

Failing Charter Schools Have a Reincarnation Plan
Converting into private schools—and using voucher programs to thrive on the public dime.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.15  Sparty On  replied to    4 years ago

I don't automatically accept the rationalization we aren't doing enough.   If something isn't working for long enough, at some point something does have to be done to fix it.    And i mean really fix it.    Not just put band-aid on top of band-aid ...

A significant portion of our taxes go to public programs, that many other folks pay little to nothing for and/or that many of us rarely if ever use.   That money is propping other people up, all day, every day.   As time has gone on the plan has been to throw more money at it and hope it fixes any perceived problem and that ain't working.   Not for many public schools, not for much of our infrastructure etc.

The common denominator in most budgets is where more of the tax revenue is now going.   Each year a bigger percentage of that revenue goes to wages, benefits, and other social spending.   Costs are going up, people are getting paid more, benefits cost more and it seems there are more people every day who expect the government to take care of them without having to work for it.   And thats a problem.

We might not be doing enough but we have to get a handle on why some things like Public Schools are failing right now.   After decades of simply throwing more money at problems like that, it is high time we take a non-partisan "critical" look at how to actually solve any problems and just stop building failing kingdoms for our bureaucrats to get rich on.

Because right now that is pretty much all that's going on across the board.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.16  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.12    4 years ago

We disagree so i suggest you move on for that one.

Don't expect you to but feel to get your last word in now .....

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.18  Sparty On  replied to    4 years ago

And our politicians are failing us on this.   Too much special interest on both sides greasing their skids.

The only chance we have to fix it in my opinion is trying to get a truly non-partisan grassroots movement going to force them to fix it.  

And if NT is any indication of if that will ever happen.   We are in deep doo-doo.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.20  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.14    4 years ago

Thanks Betsy DeVos - you worthless rich . . . 

Our taxpayer dollars should not go to private/religious/charter schools.   

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.21  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.16    4 years ago

This is my seed and I suggest you move on 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.22  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.16    4 years ago

This has nothing to do with the school choice movement.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.23  Sparty On  replied to    4 years ago
I'd like to think we have reached a level of mutual respect...hey, 'It could happen'...

Right back at ya.  

Civility can happen with those of opposing views but "spoiler alert to those who haven't seen this episode" both people have to actually be civil.

Enjoyed our conversation and hope you have a great day!

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.24  Ronin2  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.14    4 years ago

If a religious or charter school fails to provide a quality education then go out of business. 

Otherwise private schools would not be dying out. Parents will not send their kids to failing schools.

There is no accountability for failing public schools. They siphon off an ever increasing amount of tax payer money for continued horrendous results. 

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.25  evilone  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.24    4 years ago
If a religious or charter school fails to provide a quality education then go out of business. 

Private schools can pick and choose their students and have little to no academic accountability. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.26  Ozzwald  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.24    4 years ago

Not if they are running on the government's dime.

Otherwise private schools would not be dying out.

You are not comparing properly.  You are comparing how they work now, once they start receiving government money, they will have much less concerns over how their customers view them.

Parents will not send their kids to failing schools.

Bullshit!  Parents send their kids today to crappy private school just so they can claim that their kids are better than public school kids.  Even if that claim is false.

There is no accountability for failing public schools.

More than there is for crappy private schools who only care about the almighty dollar.  All their money goes into marketing, not curriculum.  The government sets standards for public schools, private schools set whatever standards they want.

They siphon off an ever increasing amount of tax payer money for continued horrendous results. 

Making sure schools meet determined standards is the job of the Department of Education, you can blame Betsy DeVos for not doing her job.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    4 years ago

Yawn ..... she's like Jennifer Granholm light.   All tax and spend, no fiscal responsibility.   We're still climbing out of the deep pothole Jenny on the block spent us into.   Last i heard she exited stage left and is now living in California ..... right where she and Whitmer belong as Whitmer will be joining her there shortly in 2022

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ronin2  replied to  Sparty On @2    4 years ago

I love her plan for "fixing the damn roads".

After she was rejected by Republicans on another gas tax increase (she wants the option to divert that money to schools and municipalities if she feels the need); her toll road idea was shot to hell by everyone; she is now touting a low interest bond that will not come close to fixing all of the roads needed.  Nothing like increasing the state debt while not coming close to fixing the problem.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1    4 years ago

Interestingly the main sticking point is where the the 6% Sale tax on fuel sales is going.   Reps want it to go to roads where it belongs but Dems want to keep spending it on Public School aid, public transit and revenue sharing.   There is room for compromise but neither side is interested in compromise.

Michigan's legislative and executive branch are failing us once again.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.1    4 years ago

It's the republicons who refuse to compromise.  It's their way or the highway.  

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
2.1.3  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.2    4 years ago
It's the republicons who refuse to compromise.  It's their way or the highway.

we don't negotiate with the political terrorists on the left.  we only crush their plans.

but, I have not been keeping up, hows that impeachment thing going?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @2.1.3    4 years ago

[ Deleted ]

[ Cheers ]jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
2.1.5  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.4    4 years ago

[Deleted]

[cheers :)]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.2    4 years ago

Nope, wrong once again.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
2.1.7  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1    4 years ago

That story made zero sense.

Monte Scott is 13 years old and lives in Muskegon Heights, Michigan. Monte’s street was covered in potholes. They were ankle deep and he got tired of waiting for them to get fixed, so he grabbed a shovel and a bucket of dirt and filled them in himself.

I'm not sure I need to add any commentary to that. How is that a rebuttal? 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @2    4 years ago

Last you heard, so then you have links to support that?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @2.2    4 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @2.2.1    4 years ago

removed for context

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.2    4 years ago

removed for context

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.4  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @2.2.3    4 years ago

removed for context

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.4    4 years ago

removed for context

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.6  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @2.2.1    4 years ago

This seed isn't about Granholm.  I thought you were talking about Governor Whitmer, which this seed is about.  Stay on topic and stop deflecting.  

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2.7  Ronin2  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.6    4 years ago

Whitmer is a Granholm protege; and wannabe clone. Sorry, one was more than enough. 

Anyone from Michigan knows that. Unfortunately the Republicans had the Flint water crisis tied around their necks- blemishing what would have been a very good record for Gov Snyder.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4  Ed-NavDoc    4 years ago

[deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6  It Is ME    4 years ago

She touted how she only wanted to speak about what "Democrats" want

Apparently.... her constituents are at "Rock Bottom". Can't get a good job and are still destitute. jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Does she talk with folks that aren't "Liberal in values" ? jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    4 years ago

[deleted]