╌>

Trump acquitted by Senate in impeachment trial

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  citizen-kane-473667  •  4 years ago  •  37 comments

Trump acquitted by Senate in impeachment trial
President Donald Trump has been cleared in his impeachment trial, ending a congressional bid to oust him from office that bitterly divided the US.

The division started long before this...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The Senate, run by the president's fellow Republicans, voted to acquit him 52-48 on charges of abuse of power and by 53-47 on obstruction of Congress.

Democrats charged Mr Trump in December with pressuring Ukraine to smear a potential White House rival.

In November, Mr Trump will be the first impeached president to go for election.

In its historic vote on Wednesday, the Senate decided not to remove Mr Trump from office on charges arising from his dealings with Ukraine.

The Democratic-led House of Representatives approved the articles of impeachment on 18 December.

Mr Trump, who is seeking a second four-year term in the 3 November election, always denied wrongdoing.

His re-election campaign said in a statement: "President Trump has been totally vindicated and it's now time to get back to the business of the American people.

"The do-nothing Democrats know they can't beat him, so they had to impeach him."

It said "this terrible ordeal" and "nonsense" was merely a Democratic campaign tactic.

The statement added: "This impeachment hoax will go down as the worst miscalculation in American political history."

Mr Trump - whose personal approval rating with American voters hit a personal best of 49% this week, according to Gallup - tweeted that he would speak on Thursday about the case.

Mitt Romney of Utah was the only Republican senator to vote to cross the aisle and convict Mr Trump, on the first charge of abuse of power.

Mr Romney, the 2012 Republican presidential nominee, said earlier on the Senate floor that the president was "guilty of an appalling abuse of public trust".

Despite Democratic hopes, two other moderate Republicans, Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, did not join Mr Romney in voting to convict the president.

Some Republican senators criticised Mr Trump's behaviour in recent days, but said it did not rise to the level of impeachment.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
1  seeder  Citizen Kane-473667    4 years ago

We knew it was going to happen.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @1    4 years ago

Yes we did.  The progressive left inquisition against our President and his supporters is now over.  

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
1.1.1  seeder  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1    4 years ago
The progressive left inquisition against our President and his supporters is now over

They lost a major battle but I hardly see any signs of them surrendering the war...

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.2  squiggy  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @1    4 years ago

84675812_2848928945166745_7162784880152018944_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ohc=OlHqwaGpxv8AX9BSUpA&_nc_ht=scontent.fabe1-1.fna&oh=f40e94b104932ebd512474c5e6e78776&oe=5ED897F8

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  squiggy @1.2    4 years ago

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2  Jeremy Retired in NC    4 years ago

And let the Democrat and left freak out begin.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2    4 years ago

You can rest assured that a mega heightened sense of denial probably is already setting in! I sincerely doubt they will give up.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1    4 years ago

You're right Ed - and, unfortunately, for the next 10 months, there are going to be tons and tons of stupid shit put in front of Trump and the Repubs and, actually, zero, da nada, zilch is going to get done - but crying, crying and more crying.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1    4 years ago

We all know the tantrum is only going to get worse.  And the best part is there osnt a damn thing they can do.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.1    4 years ago

The D3mocrats were lame duck since November 2016.  Not a damn thing productive done.

It will continue until they are removed from office.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Ender  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1.3    4 years ago
House members have  passed  or agreed to  389 bills and 151 resolutions  since January, when Democrats took control. But McConnell has left many untouched in the GOP-led Senate, having  vowed  to block their progressive policies as the "grim reaper" to their bills on issues such as election security and background checks.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.5  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ender @2.1.4    4 years ago

So no reliable source.  Just third party nonsense.  Your better of just saying "I heard from a friend who knows a guy"

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Ender  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1.5    4 years ago

What the hell are you talking about. So you are going to flat out deny what the house has done?

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
2.1.7  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @2.1.4    4 years ago
But McConnell has left many untouched

yes, we are ignoring the progressive agenda

5 more years.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.1    4 years ago

I personally think the president should send autographed Trumpy bears to Pelosi, Schiff, and all Democrat house members involved in the impeachment farce as thanks for helping to assure his reelection to a second term!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.9  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ender @2.1.6    4 years ago

I'm questioning your source.  Third party rumors wont work.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Ender  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1.9    4 years ago

So yes, you are denying it.

Sorry butt it is something they won't tell you on fox news.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.12  Ender  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.11    4 years ago

The only thing that is 'balderdash' is the claim the house has done nothing. You actually prove the point. What they showed was a sampling.

ALL of the scumbags in Congress to pass CLEAN bills strictly related to the issue and leave the other unrelated bullshit on the floor or circling the ceramic throne to die another day.

On that I completely agree. It is either a poison pill or some kind of graft, which both sides seem to love.

I don't think they could pass a clean bill if their lives depended on it.

Edit: The senate could also look at a bill and take that part out and send it back to the house instead of tabling it.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.14  Ender  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.13    4 years ago

True yet if it was something worth passing, might be worth it.

Personally I never understood the need for congress to be 'productive'.

It's not like we don't have enough laws on the books.

It seems like they are all adding to the problems instead of working on the ones that need attention.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.15  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ender @2.1.10    4 years ago

English isnt your primary language is it?

I said I question your source.  Post the actual reports instead of "I have a friend who knows a guy" garbage and then we'll talk.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.16  Ender  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1.15    4 years ago

So you still have nothing but bullshit.

squiggy
Junior Silent
3  squiggy    4 years ago

84709723_2848869981839308_7049487877721292800_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ohc=S2oXYn8HxjMAX-uCRng&_nc_ht=scontent.fwbw1-1.fna&oh=7d31a4883ed0846e86cf8068916d6e61&oe=5EBCFCA0

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    4 years ago

Born in partisanship and that's how it died. I guess Congress is proud of itself now? These same geniuses will go out on the campaign trail trying to make something out of Trump's "low" approval ratings while ignoring how much lower theirs is. Zero self-awareness.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @4    4 years ago

The country is fucked. Plain and simple. The Senate just voted that presidents can more or less do as they please. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5  Ed-NavDoc    4 years ago

The president acquitted. True justice was served on this date!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

The US deserves whatever they get after this.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
7.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7    4 years ago

yes we do. and we have the left to thank for trumps re-election

so, thanks for that :)

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7    4 years ago

Hehe, say goodbye to the America you knew. The Senate just voted that the President is essentially infallible. The last step is making sure that the pussy senators are beholden to the president, and really stack the courts with executive supporters, and then you will effectively neutralize the House on anything that matters. Game over.

Shit, if only I had 100 million dollars I could beat dip shit and do it myself. But alas, I was not born to be a failson.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8  Thrawn 31    4 years ago

Ahhhhh lol, the Imperial Presidency is that much stronger. All it takes is one more Trump term, or someone who has any fucking idea what is happening, and we have ourselves a Russian style democracy. 

Good job fellow Americans, you all are fucking idiots. 

The GOP senators are betting that when the Emperor is crowned (and that is now inevitable) that he will be one of theirs. I really hope it is a democrat, because at least then the death of our nation would be hilariously ironic.