╌>

$450 MILLION INTENDED TO BUILD SCHOOLS ON MILITARY BASES DIVERTED TO BUILD TRUMP'S BORDER WALL

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  4 years ago  •  78 comments

$450 MILLION INTENDED TO BUILD SCHOOLS ON MILITARY BASES DIVERTED TO BUILD TRUMP'S BORDER WALL

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

BY   DONICA PHIFER  AND  JAMES LAPORTA   ON 9/5/19 AT 6:35 PM EDT

New schools, dining halls, a new fire station and a rescue station are just some of the projects that military members and their families will not see on bases around the world as money is reappropriated from them to fund construction of the United States' border wall.

On Tuesday, Defense Secretary Mark Esper sent a letter to military officials which outlined the items scrapped by the Department of Defense in order to pay the estimated $3.6 billion needed for 11 construction projects that "are necessary to support the use of the armed forces in connection with the national emergency" declared by President Donald Trump in February.

In the letter, Esper approved the funding requested by Trump to curb illegal immigration at the U.S.-Mexico border and included a list of 127 projects lined up at U.S. military bases around the world that will be postponed as the money is rerouted to erect 175 miles of fencing at 11 different points along the border.

"These projects will deter illegal entry, increase the vanishing time of those illegally crossing the border, and channel migrants to ports of entry. They will reduce the demand for DoD personnel and assets at the locations where the barriers are constructed and allow the redeployment of DoD personnel and assets to other high-traffic areas on the border without barriers. In short, these barriers will allow DoD to provide support to DHS more efficiently and effectively," Esper wrote.

Among those projects being postponed are several new schools for children who reside on military bases in the U.S. and abroad.

border-wall.jpg?w=737&f=17e5e0b2679e6229

The U.S./ Mexican border wall is seen on February 10, 2019 in El Paso, Texas. JOE RAEDLE/GETTY

One such school, Fort Campbell Middle School, previously garnered attention in February or being under the gun of the budget reappropriation.

"It's better for the middle school kids in Kentucky to have a secure border," South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham told CBS'   Face the Nation   in February when the Department of Defense revealed a list of projects that could be postponed or canceled to obtain the billions requested by Trump. "We'll get them the school they need, but right now we've got a national emergency on our hands. Opioid addiction is going through the roof in this country ... because we can't control the flood of drugs into this country and all of it's coming across the border."

The school, which is located on the Fort Campbell Army base along the Tennessee-Kentucky border, will cost an estimated $62 million to build. However, the entire budget for construction has been rerouted to the border wall.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, (R-KY), dismissed the questions about the school in February as "hypothetical" as then-Acting Defense Secretary Patrick M. Shanahan had not decided what specific funds would be shifted from the Pentagon to help pay for the president's border wall.

On Thursday, McConnell's spokesman, David Popp told   Newsweek   that the senator spoke to Esper about Fort Campbell Middle School and "is committed to protecting funding" for the project.

"Regrettably, Democrat opposition to secure our borders has now led to the potential delay of certain Military Construction projects. We would not be in this situation if Democrats were serious about protecting our homeland and worked with us to provide the funding needed to secure our borders during our appropriations process," Popp added.

In a statement posted to his website, Tennessee Congressman Jim Cooper blasted the decision saying in part: "President Trump has stooped to new lows in trying to illegally fund more border wall. His latest funding grab includes raiding $63 million that was slated to build a much-needed middle school at Fort Campbell. Our troops and their families deserve better. Democrats are united in our opposition; it is up to House and Senate Republicans to stand up to the President and his unprecedented overreach."

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) also panned the move, calling it "a slap in the face" in a post to Twitter on Wednesday evening.

"It is a slap in the face to the members of the Armed Forces who serve our country that   @realDonaldTrump   is willing to cannibalize already allocated military funding to boost his own ego, and for a wall he promised Mexico would pay to build."

In South Carolina, Fort Bragg, a U.S. Army base home to airborne and special forces soldiers, saw $32 million moved to the border wall, money which had been set aside to build a replacement for Butner Elementary School. However, that project had already been put on hold prior to Tuesday's announcement.

Additional replacement buildings for schools on bases in Puerto Rico, the United Kingdom, Japan and Germany were also postponed. Altogether, the funds intended for the nine schools will supply almost $450 million for the border wall.

Other projects that will be postponed include a Crash Fire Rescue station at Fort Tyndall Air Force Base in Florida ($17 million); a replacement fire station at Laurel Bay in Fort Bliss, Texas ($10.750 million); dining facilities at bases in Texas and Puerto Rico (combined $31.5 million) and a Command and Control facility at Camp Tango in Korea ($17.5 million)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

Gutting veteran pension funds next. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @1    4 years ago

NO drama there (snicker)

Perhaps he should tap some Congressional pension funds.........................and former POTUS's as well. I haven't seen a single one of them leave office with less money than they had when they were elected.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1    4 years ago

This 'president' is looting the treasury, along with his equally corrupt administration of gangsters, thugs, criminals, grifters, mobsters, as fast as their thieving grubby fingers will allow.  

So now you'll tell me that tRump is losing money while 'president'

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.1    4 years ago

If you can point to where I said that, I will respond in kind. If not, please do tell how the "corrupt administration of gangsters, thugs, criminals, grifters, mobsters" are looting the treasury. You make that claim almost daily and I still haven't seen any evidence...................but I bet you got some eh?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.2    4 years ago

I didn't say you said that.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.3    4 years ago

You're right. You didn't. You just told me what I was about to say. Another day of telling people what they said/wrote/think and then arguing that point. And sadly you aren't the only one who does it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.4    4 years ago

I know I didn't.

I never do that.  

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.6  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.1    4 years ago
This 'president' is looting the treasury, along with his equally corrupt administration of gangsters, thugs, criminals, grifters, mobsters, as fast as their thieving grubby fingers will allow. 

How so?   Be specific...

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.7  bugsy  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.2    4 years ago
You make that claim almost daily and I still haven't seen any evidence...................but I bet you got some eh?

Maybe a victim of the Adam Schiff Syndrome?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.8  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @1.1.6    4 years ago

It's quite obvious to everyone but his supporters.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.1    4 years ago

"During the  2016 presidential election , Trump told  60 Minutes  that he would  not take a salary  if he won the presidency, and he has effectively stood by that promise. "

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.10  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.9    4 years ago

So how is he losing money while looting the treasury as fast as his fat little fingers will allow, along with the rest of his corrupt administration of gangsters, thugs, grifters, and thieves?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.11  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.10    4 years ago

Tell us all about it

lib50
Professor Silent
1.1.12  lib50  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.9    4 years ago
Trump told  60 Minutes  that he would  not take a salary  if he won the presidency, and he has effectively stood by that promise. "

Oh, bfd, he is making FAR more from our tax dollars going right into his coffers via his properties.  WE pay for the Secret Service to stay there at jacked up prices.  And really, how DO you know he is really not taking it?  Have to see some proof on that, which he has NEVER provided.   Now taking from military KIDS to build his vanity wall he said we wouldn't pay for.  Which is not needed.  Where did that last big drug bust come from?   The freaking Coast Guard. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.13  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.8    4 years ago

It's quite obvious to everyone but his supporters.

So enlighten us "supporters" of what is so "obvious".

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.14  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @1.1.13    4 years ago

Why bother when you're also oblivious?

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.15  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.14    4 years ago

So you have no idea what you are talking about, just spouting talking points given to you. Maybe next time you can ask the handlers to also give you reasons why the talking points are what they are.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.16  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @1.1.15    4 years ago

Sheer projection, as usual.  

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.17  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.16    4 years ago

Nope...I'm spot on...as usual.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.18  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @1.1.17    4 years ago

No, you are incorrect, as usual.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.19  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.18    4 years ago

Unless you can refute the post with facts, the post remains. Show the class what you have.

Now, who is projecting?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.20  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.19    4 years ago

He is incorrect as are you, as usual.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.21  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.20    4 years ago

How so? Please do expound.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.22  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.21    4 years ago

It's quite obvious except to the willfully oblivious.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.23  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.22    4 years ago

Your inability to civilly refute must mean that you are looking in the mirror when making this statement. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.24  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  lib50 @1.1.12    4 years ago

Most drugs bust come from the Coast Guard and people don't realize that. The bulk of drugs entering this country is through our waterways. My daughter's hubby to be was a coastie doing drug interdiction. He told us that they literally stop tons of the stuff, as well as stop illegal immigration (they do that while they are on patrol)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.25  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.23    4 years ago

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.26  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.25    4 years ago

I've never called you willfully oblivious, but, meh...if that's what you want to identify as.....your business.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.27  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.9    4 years ago

Trump Has Spent $115 Million On Golf Trips ― Or 287 Years Of Presidential Salary

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.28  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.27    4 years ago

With the success this country is experiencing right now, well, at least the productive citizenry, it's worth every single penny.

Most liberals would not understand that statement.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.29  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @1.1.28    4 years ago

What success, which productive citizenry?

You like spending $115 million on this 'president's' golf trips?  It's your taxes, if you actually pay taxes, that pay for this.  

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.31  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.29    4 years ago

Lowest unemployment, [Deleted]

Best stock market ever

Better trade deals that benefit the US and not only other countries.

A wall to keep your future loon leftist voters out

Fastest manufacturing growth in decades

4 million off food stamps, another reason you can get a job

61 percent now say they are doing better now than a year ago

I can go on and on [Deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.32  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @1.1.31    4 years ago

I have a job and have been gainfully employed since I was 21.

[Deleted

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.33  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.32    4 years ago
You on the computer in your mom's basement obviously isn't a well paying job.  

Nice personal attack. I wonder how long it will stay up.

I live in Florida, so a basement is out of the question, but thankfully, my mom is alive and pretty healthy for her age.

I have been gainfully employed since I was 18, when I started my 20 year military career. I'm now 53 and am STILL gainfully employed. 

BTW...Happy 22nd birthday.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Tessylo @1    4 years ago

A win win for Trump who's gonna need an under educated peon class to pick the grapes and mow his golf greens.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  It Is ME    4 years ago

The "Military Kids" haven't been going to school before this ? jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

If they have actually been going to school all this time, what happened to the schools they were originally going to ? jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  It Is ME @2    4 years ago
what happened to the schools they were originally going to

Not a damned thing. Just another "but Trumpism"

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1    4 years ago
Not a damned thing. Just another "but Trumpism"

I figured as much ! jrSmiley_103_smiley_image.jpg

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Dulay  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1    4 years ago
Not a damned thing.

I'm sure that you made that comment based on thorough research. Since you've declared this a non-issue, care to share your vast knowledge about the middle school at Fort Campbell?  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Dulay @2.1.2    4 years ago

Sure. Here is what I know. They are claiming over crowding and need to build more. There are actually some classes with 30, count 'em 30 students in them. When I was going to elementary AND, what would be classified today as middle school, there was always between 26 and 32 students in each of my classes. What has changed? Loss of teacher control over unruly, ill raised students.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.3    4 years ago

This has nothing to do with what you experienced.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Dulay @2.1.2    4 years ago
I'm sure that you made that comment based on thorough research. Since you've declared this a non-issue, care to share your vast knowledge about the middle school at Fort Campbell?  

Is what has been noted above about Existing Schools.... Not True ?

Please "Share" your "Vast Knowledge". We always like "Learning improved thingies" here. jrSmiley_32_smiley_image.gif

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.5    4 years ago

We have a runner......................

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.7  Dulay  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.3    4 years ago

So you missed that they closed one of the middle schools. Got ya. 

BTW, what has changed is that it has now been documented that class size effects the quality of education. 

I find it funny that ALL of the Republican Senators and Congressmen from Kentucky, including Moscow Mitch, had a fit about the cut and insisted that it would be refunded in 2021. It now looks like that isn't going to happen and even if it does, there's nothing stopping Trump from stealing THAT funding too. Hell Graham said that it was more important that those middle schoolers to have a 'secure border' than to have a school. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.8  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.3    4 years ago

[removed]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.4    4 years ago
This has nothing to do with what you experienced.  

He was asked to share his knowledge/experience. I believe he gave a good answer.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.10  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.9    4 years ago

I don't care what you think/believe..

I don't believe he gave a good answer.

We're not talking about what he experienced.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.11  It Is ME  replied to  Dulay @2.1.7    4 years ago
BTW, what has changed is that it has now been documented that class size effects the quality of education. 

Weird !

Back in my days of Schooling, we had a min. of 38 in a class, and we were "Required" to hold a certain grade average, or our parents were called for a meeting with the teacher AND the Principal of the school.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.12  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.10    4 years ago
I don't believe he gave a good answer.

No, I didn't give the answer you wanted............period.

lib50
Professor Silent
2.1.13  lib50  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.11    4 years ago

It isn't just this school either.  More schools, fire stations and other things.  Nice priorities there. 

In South Carolina, Fort Bragg, a U.S. Army base home to airborne and special forces soldiers, saw $32 million moved to the border wall, money which had been set aside to build a replacement for Butner Elementary School. However, that project had already been put on hold prior to Tuesday's announcement.

Additional replacement buildings for schools on bases in Puerto Rico, the United Kingdom, Japan and Germany were also postponed. Altogether, the funds intended for the nine schools will supply almost $450 million for the border wall.

Other projects that will be postponed include a Crash Fire Rescue station at Fort Tyndall Air Force Base in Florida ($17 million); a replacement fire station at Laurel Bay in Fort Bliss, Texas ($10.750 million); dining facilities at bases in Texas and Puerto Rico (combined $31.5 million) and a Command and Control facility at Camp Tango in Korea ($17.5 million).

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.14  It Is ME  replied to  lib50 @2.1.13    4 years ago
It isn't just this school either.  More schools, fire stations and other things.  Nice priorities there. 

The Town/City doesn't have "Fire Stations" up and running ?

"Additional replacement buildings for schools on bases in Puerto Rico, the United Kingdom, Japan and Germany were also postponed."

There aren't "Fire Stations" and "Schools" available for use in those places either ?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.15  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.14    4 years ago

[deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.16  It Is ME  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.15    4 years ago

jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.17  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.3    4 years ago

Jim,

You are wrong about that. I taught for over 20 years in a tough inner city school and we had control of our classes. The same problem exists today as it did when we were going to school. When you have a large heterogeneous population in a class, students get left behind. You teach to the middle and not the upper or lower ends of the class. Homogenous grouping might help that, but most schools don't do that since it is viewed as discriminatory and that is understandable. Everyone knows who the "dumb" kids are and it makes their lives horrible. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.18  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.17    4 years ago

They did that in my high school. Nobody had the guts to tell the big ol' boys in the lower level they were dumb

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.19  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.18    4 years ago

The big ones always survive. It's the smaller ones that suffer. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.20  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.12    4 years ago

No, you gave an answer based on your experience, not a good answer . . . . period.  

lib50
Professor Silent
2.1.21  lib50  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.14    4 years ago

Well, its not just schools and fire stations. 

The Trump administration plans to sap money intended to build fighter jets, ships, vehicles and National Guard equipment in order to fund barriers on the U.S.-Mexico border, the Pentagon told Congress on Thursday, a move certain to agitate Democrats headed into a new budget and spending cycle.

The surprise reprogramming of another $3.8 billion, transmitted to Congress and provided to POLITICO, means the Pentagon will have forked over nearly $10 billion since last year to help pay for President Donald Trump's border wall.

But this shift in funding marks a new phase for the administration, which until now had used money set for military construction and counterdrug operations, not combat equipment. The fiscal 2020 money will be moved into drug interdiction accounts that the Pentagon tapped last year to fund border barrier projects.

The money will be drawn from a host of procurement accounts, many of which are popular on Capitol Hill. The move includes a cut of two Marine Corps F-35B fighter jets at a cost of $223 million; $100 million from the Army National Guard's Humvee modernization program; $650 million cut from the Navy's amphibious assault ship replacement; and $261 million from the Expeditionary Fast Transport ship. The reprogramming also trimmed two Air Force C-130J transport aircraft for a cut of $196 million and $180 million from the service's light attack aircraft program.

The Pentagon also sapped an extra $1.3 billion from National Guard and Reserve equipment accounts, for which Congress has typically sought to allocate increased funding.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.22  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.17    4 years ago
Homogenous grouping might help that, but most schools don't do that since it is viewed as discriminatory and that is understandable

And that is basically what happened when I was in school. The classes were based on student performance and assigned to teachers who could improve their lot in life including the top and the bottom achievers. The lesser the achievers academic standing, slightly fewer students in the class and the more experienced and capable the teacher to deal with it and level the playing field. And yes, there was some snickering at who everyone knew may have needed more "coaching". And speaking of coaching, they were also the ones who excelled in other areas and especially sports.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.23  It Is ME  replied to  lib50 @2.1.21    4 years ago

Trump will keep shuffling money toward the wall unless Congress adds spending bill language that prohibits him from doing so , Roybal-Allard said.
Congress has so far failed to attach any prohibitive language since Trump declared a national emergency last February, successfully diverting $6.7 billion from military construction and other accounts for a southern barrier.

Congressional folks that don't like it, are just giving "Lip Service" pandering to the media. They should either "Put Up" or "Shut Up" !

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

84587105_2221919647910462_6257722192985849856_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ohc=iJ1pV0K2fgwAX94vZ0D&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=66063f53b90e01e76406f18c07aa41a1&oe=5EC4C8C2

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Maybe if Mr. "I won't have time to play golf." didn't as much, the millions spent could have gone to the wall.  But I guess taking education away from children is okay with him as long as he gets his useless wall.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1  Dulay  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    4 years ago

Yep, in 2017 the Secret Service burned through $60 million in ADDITIONAL funding and had to come back for more. This year, Trump will blow past what the Obama's spent in 8 but hey, IOKIYAR. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    4 years ago

They're just military kids, Paula....they don't need no education since they're gonna follow in Mother and Daddy's footsteps anway!

Do I really need a sarcasm tag?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2    4 years ago

I totally agree with your Trout. And while this administration can give lip service to the military, they certainly don't do much else.

And for the record, I am a navy brat.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.2.1    4 years ago

My kids are Air Force brats. One of them actually follow in Mother and Daddy's footsteps. But he's done well for himself. I'm very proud of him

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.2.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.2    4 years ago

You should be! That is wonderful news. It's a big deal to bet into the Air Force!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.2    4 years ago

I am half civilian on my mother's side.  My father was a marine.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.2.4    4 years ago

My kids are full blooded Air Force, I guess, since I wore the blue when I was pregnant with both of them

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
5  Steve Ott    4 years ago

We have to take money from children because the democrats won't play nice with us.

We don't want to be mean but we have to because democrats won't play with us.

Democrats are rat bastards because they are making us take money from children.

zuksam
Junior Silent
7  zuksam    4 years ago

$450 MILLION ? In Military Contractor Value that's half a dozen one room schoolhouses. Of coarse they'll go over budget and require additional funding.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
7.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  zuksam @7    4 years ago

I was a building inspector over 20 years ago and worked on some military housing playgrounds they were putting in and the Army Core of engineers requirement for the curb that encircled the playground was double continuous linear rebar reinforced 4000 psi concrete. For a playground. I figured they wanted to make sure tanks could drive over the playground without damaging it if they had to, but all 70 of the playgrounds I inspected were way over engineered and cost at least 20 times more because of it. And the fact that they had to have them inspected by myself and three Army Core Engineers who would follow me around during each inspection and testing was also serious overkill for a few dozen playgrounds.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  zuksam @7    4 years ago

Then there is terrible waste. That should be more like 450 classrooms for that price.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
8  Nerm_L    4 years ago

[deleted]