╌>

Records that will likely never be broken

Category:  Sports

Via:  sparty-on  •  4 years ago  •  44 comments

Records that will likely never be broken

This is a pretty simple one.   Do you have any records, sports or otherwise, that you feel will never be broken.   I have one that should be on this list.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

After posting a sensational 72-10 record at the end of the 1995-96 NBA season, it was said that no team would ever top the Chicago Bulls’ dominant record. However, 20 years later, Steve Kerr (who played on that Chicago squad) guided his Golden State Warriors team to an incredible 73-9 record with some breathtaking basketball by the likes of Steph Curry and Klay Thompson. The Warriors proved that even the most unbeatable of records can be toppled. However, we remain quite confident that the following 25 sports records will stand the test of time forever. Probably.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sparty On    4 years ago

Mine is Mickey Lolich.

In the 1968 World Series he pitched three complete game wins.   Amazing in and of itself.    Even for those times when pitchers tended to pitch complete games but he did one more thing that pretty much insures it will never be done again.

He hit a Home Run.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Sparty On @1    4 years ago

I watched that whole series from a hospital bed with pneumonia. Was a big Detroit fan as were all of my relatives. Between Lolich and Denny McClain what a pitching staff.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  Texan1211    4 years ago

I don't see anyone breaking Ripken's streak.

Possible, but rarely can a player go injury free long enough to amass that amount of games.

Doubtful any pitcher will ever win 30 games again. I think Denny McClain was the last one, and pitchers get fewer starts nowadays because almost every team uses 5 starters--plus calling players up for spot starts to see what they have.

Stolen base record is probably pretty safe, too, as the game has changed so much.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @2    4 years ago

Agreed on Ripken.  

Strange thing about McClain was he did that in 68 ..... one more amazing coincidence going against what Mickey did that year in the WS

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

4 complete game wins in a row in a playoff series by the 2005 White Sox.  No team will ever do that again. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    4 years ago

??  Not familiar.   You mean three, four different pitchers pitched four complete games in a row to win the series?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Sparty On @3.1    4 years ago

Four different pitchers threw and won four consecutive complete games to win the 2005 ALCS.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.1    4 years ago

Yeah, very rare.

Save Me Jebus
Freshman Silent
4  Save Me Jebus    4 years ago

Gretzky's 50 goals in 39 games.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Save Me Jebus @4    4 years ago

Amazing record but i could see that one falling someday.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @4.1    4 years ago

Gretzky did top a number of Gordie Howe's records.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5  TᵢG    4 years ago

Barry Bonds: 73 home runs.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @5    4 years ago

I still think that can be beat, even post roid rage era.   Especially the way they seem to be juicing balls these days.  

One wonders how many guys like Aaron and the Babe would have hit had they used roids and had juiced balls.  

Ruth did it on a simple beer and hotdog regime .....

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Sparty On @5.1    4 years ago

Ruth did it on a simple beer and hotdog regime .....

Well, yep, that's true. LOL 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  TᵢG @5    4 years ago
73 home runs

Players keep getting bigger, stronger and train better while parks shrink in size. Unless parks start going al least back to the dimensions they were in Ruth's day, homers are going to keep flying out of the park at unprecedented rates.  I think 73 homers will fall sometime in the next decade at the rate things are going.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     4 years ago

Hammering Henry Armstrong. Held three world championships, featherweight, lightweight and welterweight at the same time. He fought for the middleweight championship and fought to a draw with Garcia. 

That record will never be broken.

A long time member of Boxing Hall of Fame. 

In addition to his boxing exploits his giving back to the community and inspiration to the youth cement his Hall of Fame history. 

I had the pleasure of having lunch with Mr. Armstrong in LA on a number of occasions. 

I memorable lunch with both Mr. Armstrong and Jimmy McClaren (two time welterweight champion and Hall of fame member). Sitting with two Hall of Famers and talking boxing was certainly a high light for me. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @6    4 years ago
Hammering Henry Armstrong

Interesting, never heard of him before.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7  Split Personality    4 years ago

Peter Edward Rose

Records held

• Games, career, organized baseball, 3,916
  • Games, career, 3,562
  • Games, switch hitter, career, 3,562
  • At bats, career, 14,053
  • At bats, switch hitter, career, 14,053
  • Hits, career, organized baseball, 4,683
  • Hits, career, 4,256
  • Hits, switch hitter, career, 4,256
  • Hits, switch hitter, season, 230, 1973 (tied)
  • Runs, switch hitter, career, 2,165
  • Singles, career, 3,215
  • Singles, switch hitter, career, 3,215
  • Doubles, switch hitter, career, 746
  • Outs, career, 10,328
  • Outs, switch hitter, career, 10,328
  • Plate appearances, career, 15,890
  • Plate appearances, switch hitter, career, 15,890
  • Times reached base, career, 5,929
  • Times reached base, switch hitter, career, 5,929
  • Total bases, switch hitter, career, 5,727
  • Seasons with 150 or more games, 17
  • Seasons with 100 or more games, 23 (consecutive)

charger 383
Professor Silent
7.1  charger 383  replied to  Split Personality @7    4 years ago

Rose should be in the Hall of Fame

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  charger 383 @7.1    4 years ago

I think he would be if he was the least bit "honestly" contrite about what he did.   And for anyone who believes he didn't bet on his own team as a player and/or coach ...... i have a fine suspension bridge i can sell you that connects the Upper and Lower Peninsula's of Michigan ...... cheap!

Funny story, well maybe not that funny but it's a good story anyways.   Went to the HOF induction ceremony in 2014.   Cooperstown is a cool little town if you've never been there and it was a great experience.     I recommend it for any real baseball fans bucket list.   Anyway we are milling around town waiting for the HOF player parade and just out of town, in a out of the way alley, i see a mushroom sign.   Handwritten.   You know the type, like a political sign on a wire frame, maybe like 24x18.   It sez "Pete Rose" signing autographs in the back.   It looked pretty seedy so i didn't go back there.   The point being he is relegated to seedy back rooms when it comes to MLB.

Sad but i do believe he could fix that if he really wanted to by checked his ego at the door a little.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.1    4 years ago

He says he bet on his own team to win, each and every time.

What he is pissed at, is the rule changes that "prevent" him ( and a few others ) from ever being considered again.

He is one intense individual, met him a few times at the ball park with my kids and a decade later at a restaurant in SC.  I was telling/ asking my kids not to stare, when he approached our table to say that he remembered us from Philly. 

Always thought he was a nice guy whom they made an example of.

Didn't work.  People still gamble and cheat every day, all the way to the "World Series".

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.3  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Split Personality @7.1.2    4 years ago

You won't see me defending MLB much on this but i don't defend Rose either.   He could have helped his own case but he chose not to.   Thats on him.

The HOF voting is a messed up process.   When we went on the HOF trip we traveled on a bus back and forth with a voting sports writer on our bus answering question and just talking baseball most of the time.   Dan Schlossberg.

He was very forthcoming.   When i asked him why he thought guys like Jack Morris & Alan Trammell didn't get in he said few writers liked Morris so they simply didn't vote for him.   At least he was honest.    He didn't have a good reason for Trammell and seemed genuinely sad about him not getting it yet.   His comment was sometimes you just run out of votes.

Rose could still get in via the Modern Baseball committee (formerly the Eras Committee) as long as the Commish lets it happen.   Personally i think it will in our lifetime and it wouldn't upset me one bit.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1.4  Tacos!  replied to  charger 383 @7.1    4 years ago
Rose should be in the Hall of Fame

His jersey is - well, it's in the museum part of the HOF anyway. I had to do a research project there a few years back and they had a display on the Big Red Machine. And there hangs Pete's jersey.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7.1.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.1    4 years ago

Remember that in the sport of Baseball the greatest sin is still Gambling. It almost destroyed the sport once.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
7.1.6  MonsterMash  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.1    4 years ago
And for anyone who believes he didn't bet on his own team as a player and/or coach ...... i have a fine suspension bridge i can sell you that connects the Upper and Lower Peninsula's of Michigan ...... cheap!

Pete admitted he bet on his own team, but only to win.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1.7  Tacos!  replied to  MonsterMash @7.1.6    4 years ago
Pete admitted he bet on his own team, but only to win.

I actually believe him about that. He strikes me as being way too competitive to ever throw a game.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.8  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Tacos! @7.1.7    4 years ago

Hard core gamblers would gamble their kids away, I think he is one of those but regardless, still think he should be in HOF.    

He’s already paid a damn serious price

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7.1.9  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.8    4 years ago
Hard core gamblers would gamble their kids away, I think he is one of those but regardless, still think he should be in HOF.    

I agree with 2 of the 3 points.

Rose was a memorable player. As I say he could have got away with just about anything else. In 1919 the World Series was fixed by gamblers. When the sad truth came out, the owners acted to save the sport. First they named a Baseball Commissioner (to calm the public). Second they put the players on trial (a trial their highly paid lawyers controlled). The lawyers produced signed confessions, which later vanished and the original indictments were then dismissed. It served to make it look like the owners had taken action, while saving those exceptional White Sox players. The scheme almost succeeded if it weren't for that Commissioner whom they vested so much power in:

The ruling of Kenesaw "Mountain" Landis:

"Regardless of the verdict of juries, no player that throws a ball game; no player that undertakes or promises to throw a ball game; no player that sits in a conference with a bunch of crooked players and gamblers where the ways and means of throwing ball games are planned and discussed and does not promptly tell his club about it, will ever play professional baseball. Of course, I don't know that any of these men will apply for reinstatement, but if they do, the above are at least a few of the rules that will be enforced. Just keep in mind that, regardless of the verdict of juries, baseball is competent to protect itself against crooks, both inside and outside the game."

To this day the central tenant of Baseball

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1.10  Tacos!  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.8    4 years ago
He’s already paid a damn serious price

We can be very "hanging judge" judgmental in our society. I think he should have been punished, but it's a little ridiculous at this point. This is especially so when you consider some of the other shit that has gone on with far less punishment.

Hell, Gaylord Perry is famous for cheating, wrote a freaking book called "Me and the Spitter," and that dude is in the Hall of Fame.

Pudge Rodriguez, Jeff Bagwell, and Tim Raines are all thought to have used steroids and they're in the Hall.

Meanwhile Pete gambles, but isn't just excluded from the Hall, he's banned from baseball entirely - for life. It's too much.

(Not to mention the @#$%ing Astros who get to keep their World Series title)

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7.1.11  Sean Treacy  replied to  MonsterMash @7.1.6    4 years ago

but only to win

I don't think that matters. What kind of signal does that send his bookies and the rest of the mob when he refused to bet on his team?  The mob must have loved knowing which games Pete didn't think the Reds could win. 

Plus, how did that effect how he managed the games he bet on?. Did he  burn out his pen to make sure he won on Tuesday, with no regard for Wednesday, when he just wouldn't bet?

The betting, whether for or  against your own team, destroys the integrity of the game, and season. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8  Vic Eldred    4 years ago

How about Complete games?

33 in a season!  (MLB Record)

Held by 3 Pitchers: Grover Cleveland Alexander in 1920, Burleigh Grimes in 1923 and Dizzy Trout in 1944.

Back in the day when starters completed games.....Days long gone..

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @8    4 years ago

Good one

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2  Tacos!  replied to  Vic Eldred @8    4 years ago
Back in the day

And they usually had four-man rotations, too, so they had more shots at it.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9  It Is ME    4 years ago

85 Years between world Series wins...… Boston Red sox. jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

87 Years between world Series wins ….. White Soxs.

107 Years between world Series wins …. Cubs.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  It Is ME @9    4 years ago

Lol .... not a record one wants to beat ...

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Sparty On @9.1    4 years ago

Nope ! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
10  Freefaller    4 years ago

Larry Kahn, 16 World Tiddlywinks Championships from 1978 - 2011

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
11  Ed-NavDoc    4 years ago

Lockheed's SR-71 Blackbird strategic reconisance aircraft since 1976 has held the absolute speed and altitude record for a manned air breathing jet engined operational aircraft.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
12  Tacos!    4 years ago

This is a college record, but UCLA won seven basketball titles in a row from 1967 to 73. I don't see that ever being broken - partly because no one is ever going to clone John Wooden.

One from MLB that I don't think will ever be broken is Ricky Henderson stealing 1,406 bases. No one else even has 1,000.

Kavika
Professor Principal
13  Kavika     4 years ago

Jim Thrope winner of both the decathlon and the pentathlon in the 1912 Olympic games.

It's never been done since and never will be.  

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
15  MonsterMash    4 years ago

Tom Seaver: Ten consecutive strikeouts in one game.

23 consecutive years batting over .300: Ty Cobb