╌>

Democrats remain in denial over the Trump economy While their presidential hopefuls talk doom and gloom, the numbers tell a different story

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  donald-j-trump-fan-1  •  4 years ago  •  25 comments

By:   David Winston

Democrats remain in denial over the Trump economy  While their presidential hopefuls talk doom and gloom, the numbers tell a different story
“Job openings remain plentiful. Employers are increasingly willing to hire workers … with fewer skills and train them. As a result, the benefits of a strong labor market have become more widely shared.” “People who live and work in low- and middle-income communities are finding new opportunities. Employment gains have been broad-based across all racial and ethnic groups and levels of education.” And perhaps most important, “Wages have been rising, particularly for lower-paying jobs.” The...

The economy is booming.  Unemployment low, interest rates low, inflation low.  Taxes lower.  Regulations reduced.  Energy independence.  Wage increases.  Trump does everything right.  Democrats in denial. 

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Democrats remain in denial over the Trump economy

While their presidential hopefuls talk doom and gloom, the numbers tell a different story

OPINION — It’s been a bad couple of weeks for Democrats.  They now own a failed and discredited partisan impeachment, especially Nancy Pelosi and her chief prosecutors, Adam Schiff and Jerry Nadler.  

“Nice” Iowa turned in a chaotic performance that put the issue of Democratic competence into play.  Do voters really want to put their health care in the hands of people unable to count a few ballots and deliver credible results?

This was followed by Donald Trump’s State of the Union that put congressional Democrats in the unenviable position of having to sit glumly on their hands as the president touted the economy and delivered a series of visually moving American stories, highlighting his policies and plans. 

And then there was the behavior of the speaker herself over the past month.  As it became clear that her strategy was to force the Senate into a witness-packed trial to salvage her managers’ weak case, Pelosi’s conduct became more defensive, more combative and less effective.

Her increasing irritability was on full display during the State of the Union as she fidgeted throughout the 78-minute speech.  But when her temper finally got the better of her, it was the image of the speaker of the House ripping up a copy of the text in full view that will forever linger in people’s memories of her and her leadership.

I’m not saying that the Democrats’ political missteps of the last month have sewn up the 2020 election for Republicans, but the challenge for Democrats is definitely tougher now.  And their problems are becoming increasingly obvious as they remain anchored to a struggling two-pronged strategy.

By any means necessary

First, they tell voters, as James Carville told Vox, “We have one moral imperative here, and that’s beating Trump. Nothing else matters.” The party base loves this kind of self-affirming “by any means necessary” rhetoric.  It makes OK holding up the U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade agreement while farmers are hurting and justifies putting the country through a divisive impeachment process. But it doesn’t do much to further the Democratic Party as the majoritarian party Carville says he wants.

But it is their second objective that is more problematic for Democrats.  In debate after debate, appearance after appearance, their presidential hopefuls are trying to make the case that, despite a mountain of statistics to the contrary, the economy isn’t working for most Americans. In other words, they’re asking voters, “Who are you going to believe — us or the Bureau of Labor Statistics?”

Elizabeth Warren kicked things off in the first presidential debate by saying, “When you’ve got an economy that does great for those with money and isn’t doing great for everyone else, that is corruption, pure and simple. We need to call it out.” Democrats have been doing it ever since. 

In last month’s Iowa debate, Joe Biden claimed that “where I come from, the neighborhoods I come from, they’re in real trouble. … The American public is getting clobbered. The wealthy are the only ones doing well, period.” 

Pete Buttigieg told a campaign rally in Sioux City, Iowa, that a lot of the economic growth “isn’t getting to most of us.”   

Tom Steyer said in New Hampshire that “the fact that [Trump is] incompetent as a president, his economy isn’t delivering for working people, the jobs don’t pay enough for people to live on.”

After the State of the Union, Bernie Sanders charged that “Trump’s billionaire friends … have never, ever had it so good. But for the middle class and working families of this country, the truth is that the economy is not so great.”  

And so it goes.

In the real world

But there’s an underlying problem with this argument.  The economic numbers tell a different story and people know it.  Trump’s RealClearPolitics average economic job approval this week is at 56 percent approve and 39 percent disapprove.  

But even worse for Democratic strategists is Gallup’s Mood of the Nation survey from last month that found 59 percent of Americans saying they are better off financially than a year ago and a staggering 74 percent believing they will be better off next year.  

Good news for Trump. Very bad news for a Democratic strategy that depends on convincing people that the Trump economy is bad for America. And Tuesday, the head of the Fed didn’t make things any easier for the Democrats.

In testimony before the House Financial Services Committee, Chairman Jerome Powell, hardly a partisan, undercut the Democrats’ doom-and-gloom message with his semiannual monetary policy report.  He told the panel that jobs gains had averaged 200,000 per month in the second half of last year, and January saw 225,000 new jobs.

But even more damaging to the credibility of the Democrats’ message, Powell also said that the unemployment rate “has been near half-century lows for more than a year.”

He went on: “Job openings remain plentiful. Employers are increasingly willing to hire workers … with fewer skills and train them.  As a result, the benefits of a strong labor market have become more widely shared.”

“People who live and work in low- and middle-income communities are finding new opportunities. Employment gains have been broad-based across all racial and ethnic groups and levels of education.”

And perhaps most important, “Wages have been rising, particularly for lower-paying jobs.” 

The Labor Department’s February jobs report confirms the positive picture painted by Powell with wage growth beating expectations at 3.1 percent, the 18th consecutive month of wage increases 3 percent or higher.  As the president pointed out in the State of the Union, African American, Hispanic, and Asian unemployment continues at historic lows, while women’s unemployment is the lowest in 70 years. And it’s women who have filled 72 percent of all new jobs added.

By the time this column is published, New Hampshire will be over. But regardless of who wins the Granite State, or the nomination for that matter, every Democratic candidate has already embraced and is now saddled with an economic message that contradicts the general view of a majority of the electorate. That doesn’t mean the fall election is a done deal, far from it. Nor does it mean there isn’t more work to do to keep improving the economy, increase wages and free more people from the cycle of living paycheck to paycheck.

Democrats have adopted a negative strategy that appeals to their base while a majority of voters are seeing a stronger economy that is becoming more broad-based — and one they believe is likely to continue for the next year. Polls also show voters don’t believe they will personally benefit from what seems to be the central focus of Democratic economic policy: raising taxes on the wealthy.

The Democrats’ approach certainly helps to create opportunities for Republicans this fall.

David Winston is the president of The Winston Group and a longtime adviser to congressional Republicans. He previously served as the director of planning for Speaker  Newt Gingrich . He advises Fortune 100 companies, foundations, and nonprofit organizations on strategic planning and public policy issues, and is an election analyst for CBS News

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

First, they tell voters, as James Carville told Vox, “We have one moral imperative here, and that’s beating Trump. Nothing else matters.” The party base loves this kind of self-affirming “by any means necessary” rhetoric.  It makes OK holding up the U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade agreement while farmers are hurting and justifies putting the country through a divisive impeachment process. But it doesn’t do much to further the Democratic Party as the majoritarian party Carville says he wants.

But it is their second objective that is more problematic for Democrats.  In debate after debate, appearance after appearance, their presidential hopefuls are trying to make the case that, despite a mountain of statistics to the contrary, the economy isn’t working for most Americans. In other words, they’re asking voters, “Who are you going to believe — us or the Bureau of Labor Statistics?”

Elizabeth Warren kicked things off in the first presidential debate by saying, “When you’ve got an economy that does great for those with money and isn’t doing great for everyone else, that is corruption, pure and simple. We need to call it out.” Democrats have been doing it ever since. 

In last month’s Iowa debate, Joe Biden claimed that “where I come from, the neighborhoods I come from, they’re in real trouble. … The American public is getting clobbered. The wealthy are the only ones doing well, period.” 

Pete Buttigieg told a campaign rally in Sioux City, Iowa, that a lot of the economic growth “isn’t getting to most of us.”   

Tom Steyer said in New Hampshire that “the fact that [Trump is] incompetent as a president, his economy isn’t delivering for working people, the jobs don’t pay enough for people to live on.”

After the State of the Union, Bernie Sanders charged that “Trump’s billionaire friends … have never, ever had it so good. But for the middle class and working families of this country, the truth is that the economy is not so great.”  

And so it goes.

In The Real World

But there’s an underlying problem with this argument.  The economic numbers tell a different story and people know it.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2  seeder  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

The economy is strong and booming.  Unemployment is very low, interest rates are low, inflation is low as well.   Taxes are lower now.  Regulations have been significantly reduced.  We have. Energy independence.  Wage increases are finally happening.  Trump has done everything right.  Democrats are in complete and total denial. MAGA is a success and now we are going to KAG by re electing President Trump!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  Tessylo    4 years ago

86418755_1374129642772685_8656402951822114816_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ohc=4BTuBFbdWY4AX9mTIat&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=4c588617857e8ada42452765cdf487ee&oe=5EFCC23D

squiggy
Junior Silent
4.3  squiggy  replied to  Tessylo @4    4 years ago

"The president is required to submit an alternative pay plan to Congress by the end of August every year, or else significant automatic pay increases will take effect under the Federal Employee Pay Comparability Act."

“The administration proposes a 1% pay increase for federal civilian employees for calendar year 2021, while also increasing funds available for on-the-spot and ratings-based performance awards,” the document stated. “The administration has attempted to make pay more flexible and performance-based, since across-the-board pay increases have long-term fixed costs and fail to address existing pay disparities or to target mission-critical recruitment and retention goals. A more targeted approach that rewards the top performers with the most critical skills is needed.”

So what - the guy doesn't like free-range porkers.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @4    4 years ago

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5  Sparty On    4 years ago

If Americans aren't smart enough to see through all the resist bullshit being shoveled by the left since 2016 and elect one of these nimrods, they deserve what they get.   If that happens, i hope you all like eating government cheese while watching the people you elected eat Filet Mignon.

I'll just retire, start collecting SS and watch it all implode while sipping a nice single malt.   Or what the hell, since college is going to be free maybe i'll go get another degree or two just for the hell of it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @5    4 years ago
If Americans aren't smart enough to see through all the resist bullshit being shoveled by the left since 2016 and elect one of these nimrods, they deserve what they get. 

I don't think we have to worry. That support the President got in NH tells us all we need to know!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1    4 years ago

I hear ya Vic but i'm not worried about it.   I started looking at the college in my town, figuring out what they have to offer.   I could try Poli-Sci or maybe even a tougher program than that like underwater basket weaving .....

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6  It Is ME    4 years ago

"Democrats remain in denial over the Trump economy While their presidential hopefuls talk doom and gloom"

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  It Is ME @6    4 years ago

Cart.png

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1    4 years ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  It Is ME @6.1.1    4 years ago

The democrats are infantile temper tantrum experts extraordinaire.  Something that they have a unique expertise in.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.2    4 years ago
The democrats are infantile temper tantrum experts extraordinaire.  Something that they have a unique expertise in.  

Yep !

They denounce Prayer in "PublicSchool, yet Emphasize on TV, how they are ALL "Publicly Praying"for President Trump.

They're for the "Rule of Law" when it comes to Trump, yet excuse Obama and Holders "Gun Running" exercise in Mexico.

Hypocrits…..ALL OF THEM !

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  It Is ME @6.1.3    4 years ago

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7  Nerm_L    4 years ago

Has anyone noticed that we aren't embroiled in a debate about how increasing wages kills jobs and competitiveness?  That lack of status quo political argument should tell us that the economy is moving in a better direction.  Performance overcomes academic economic theories.  Results show that Reaganomics wasn't a realistic theory for achieving prosperity.

Structural changes to the economy have turned the page on Reaganomics.  Minimum wage increases enacted by several states are not going to be rescinded.  Reductions in Federal business taxes are not going to be rescinded.  Both are here to stay.  But we are not embroiled in a debate about how increasing wages kills jobs and competitiveness.  Both were necessary to move the economy in a better direction.  We needed to be liberal and conservative at the same time.

While its true that economic disparities and inequalities will persist for a long time (it took five decades to get here, after all), the curve is being bent by structural changes in the economy.  President Trump's policies on tariffs, taxes, and regulations are paying dividends.  And the state-level minimum wage increases are distributing those dividends where they are needed to create prosperity.  It is time for a Federal increase in the minimum wage to ensure the economy remains on the right track.

'Pro' and 'con' are opposites.  So, it shouldn't be surprising that the opposite of 'progress' is 'Congress'.  We are making progress; it really does matter who we elect.  Don't elect politicians who have dedicated themselves to protecting Reaganomics.  Arguments about how increasing wages kills jobs and competitiveness have been proven wrong by economic performance.  Ronald Reagan laid the foundation for an economy where 'greed is good'.  But, personally, it's clear that prosperity is so very much better than good.  Let's not return to an economy that is driven by gluttonous greed.

Democrats are dedicated to protecting Reaganomics.  Democrats need greedy cash cows to pay for the Mardi Gras beads they toss to get votes.  That's the same argument that supply-side economists made; we need greedy businessmen who will let prosperity trickle down.  Greed is not and never has been a defining trait for prosperity.  That short term gain will result in long term disparities and inequalities; the last five decades provide proof.  Bread and circuses is not the pathway to prosperity.  A Democratic Congress gets richer but that is the opposite of progress.  

We've come this far.  Let's not go back.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Nerm_L @7    4 years ago

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8  MrFrost    4 years ago

23 trillion in debt. 1.1 trillion deficit. 

The Bottom Line

Contrary to President Trump’s campaign promise to eliminate national debt in eight years, his strategies for tackling it have actually added to U.S. debt and deficit, considerably. These strategies, which have proven unsuccessful, include:

• Tax cuts – These substantially decreased government income.
  • Federal spending cuts – There was a failure to significantly cut expenses in mandatory and military programs, where such would actually make a difference in lowering the national debt.

The considerable addition to U.S. debt may also be attributed to Trump’s perception of the national debt in which he:

• Likens sovereign debt to business debt.
  • Assumes that the United States can just print money.

The Trump administration maintains that economic growth will pay for the added obligations. So far, the gains in GDP have not caught up with the added burdens to U.S. debt and deficit.

I remember when the right would complain about the debt every single day when Obama was in office. As soon as trump took office? They all went silent. Weird how that works. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @8    4 years ago

And now you complain about debt you cared nothing about when Obama was President?  Weird how that works.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9  seeder  XXJefferson51    4 years ago