Via:  tessylo  •  4 years ago  •  73 comments

By:   By Kyle Cheney Politico

Trump accused of another quid pro quo, this time with New York

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Politics

Trump accused of another quid pro quo, this time with New York

By Kyle Cheney

Politico February 13, 2020, 3:52 PM EST

President Donald Trump appeared Thursday to link his administration's policies toward New York to a demand that the state drop investigations and lawsuits related to his administration as well as his personal business and finances.

Hours before New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo was set to meet the president at the White House, Trump tweeted that Cuomo “must understand” that National Security far exceeds politics,” a reference to his administration’s recent decision to halt New York’s access to the Global Entry and other “trusted traveler” programs that allow New Yorkers faster border crossings and shorter airport lines.

Trump continued, “New York must stop all of its unnecessary lawsuits & harrassment, start cleaning itself up, and lowering taxes.”

Trump’s invocation of “lawsuits & harrassment” was a reference to the state’s numerous lawsuits against his administration and also against Trump’s business, which is based in New York.

That prompted Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.), one of the House managers who prosecuted Trump’s impeachment in the Senate, to accuse the president of “expanding his abuse of power to blackmailing U.S. states (threatening millions of people he supposedly works for). In this case, he's holding New York state hostage to try to stop investigations into his prior tax fraud.”

State attorney general Letitia James has   subpoenaed for Trump’s financial records , and the state is pursuing   multiple inquiries   about the Trump Organization’s business practices. James also just secured a $2 million settlement from Trump’s now-defunct charitable foundation, which was accused of numerous violations of misuse of funds.

The settlement prompted a   sharp rebuke   from Trump, who tweeted on Nov. 7 that James’ suit against the foundation was for “political purposes.”

“When you stop violating the rights and liberties of all New Yorkers, we will stand down,” James said Thursday, responding to Trump’s tweet. “Until then, we have a duty and responsibility to defend the Constitution and the rule of law. BTW, I file the lawsuits, not the Governor.”

Trump’s linkage of the investigations and lawsuits to his national security-related decisions involving New York immediately called back to House Democrats’ warning that Trump — if acquitted in last week’s impeachment trial — could leverage federal resources to coerce states to take actions that benefit him personally or politically.

“An acquittal would also provide license to President Trump and his successors to use taxpayer dollars for personal political ends ... Presidents could also hold hostage federal funds earmarked for States — such as money for natural disasters, highways, and healthcare — unless and until State officials perform personal political favors,” the House wrote in its impeachment   trial brief . “Any Congressional appropriation would be an opportunity for a President to solicit a favor for his personal political purposes — or for others to seek to curry favor with him. Such an outcome would be entirely incompatible with our constitutional system of self-government.”

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler drew a link between Trump’s tweet about New York and the “quid pro quo” that got him impeached: withholding millions of dollars in military aid from Ukraine while demanding that the country investigate his Democratic rivals.

“Dear @SenateGOP, This is what another quid pro quo by the President of the United States looks like,”   Nadler tweeted , pointing to Trump’s comment.

Some Capitol Hill Democrats compared Trump’s tweet to his   July 25 conversation   with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky when, after Zelensky referenced the U.S. provision of Javelin missiles to Ukraine, Trump pivoted to a request for the country to investigate Democrats, including former vice president Joe Biden, a political rival who had announced a 2020 challenge against him.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

President Donald Trump appeared Thursday to link his administration's policies toward New York to a demand that the state drop investigations and lawsuits related to his administration as well as his personal business and finances.

Hours before New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo was set to meet the president at the White House, Trump tweeted that Cuomo “must understand” that National Security far exceeds politics,” a reference to his administration’s recent decision to halt New York’s access to the Global Entry and other “trusted traveler” programs that allow New Yorkers faster border crossings and shorter airport lines.

Trump continued, “New York must stop all of its unnecessary lawsuits & harrassment, start cleaning itself up, and lowering taxes.”

Trump’s invocation of “lawsuits & harrassment” was a reference to the state’s numerous lawsuits against his administration and also against Trump’s business, which is based in New York.

That prompted Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.), one of the House managers who prosecuted Trump’s impeachment in the Senate, to accuse the president of “expanding his abuse of power to blackmailing U.S. states (threatening millions of people he supposedly works for). In this case, he's holding New York state hostage to try to stop investigations into his prior tax fraud.”

State attorney general Letitia James has    subpoenaed for Trump’s financial records  , and the state is pursuing    multiple inquiries    about the Trump Organization’s business practices. James also just secured a $2 million settlement from Trump’s now-defunct charitable foundation, which was accused of numerous violations of misuse of funds.

The settlement prompted a    sharp rebuke    from Trump, who tweeted on Nov. 7 that James’ suit against the foundation was for “political purposes.”

“When you stop violating the rights and liberties of all New Yorkers, we will stand down,” James said Thursday, responding to Trump’s tweet. “Until then, we have a duty and responsibility to defend the Constitution and the rule of law. BTW, I file the lawsuits, not the Governor.”

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1  cjcold  replied to  Tessylo @1    4 years ago

Trump is a one-trick-pony. Bully, bluster, blackmail and bribe is all he does.

bugsy
Professor Participates
3  bugsy    4 years ago

Every one of these "investigations" are nothing more than political hit jobs by butt hurt liberals who still wish they can say "President Hillary".

If Trump is such a bad person, why did NY wait to do these "investigations" after he was elected. He had been a citizen of NY his entire life. It was no secret of what he did as a living.

Going after his taxes are just another losing endeavor that will never happen.

Liberals are already going to take a major hit because of the Russia hoax, the Ukraine hoax and the impeachment farce. Go ahead libs, start another investigation. There will barely be a congressional door with the letter D on it next January.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @3    4 years ago

These investigations have been ongoing bugs

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.4  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @3.2.1    4 years ago

These investigations have been ongoing since tRump has always been a gangster, thief, liar, cheat, grifter, thug, thief, mobster his whole corrupt life.  

The only ones sucking ass are tRumps' supporters

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.2.5  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @3.2.4    4 years ago

These investigations have been ongoing, and ramped up, since it became clear that Trump was a serious threat against Hillary in the 2016 election. The far left Obama prosecutors thought that these lawsuits would scare Trump away from the election, paving the way for an easy Hillary victory.

By your accusations of what you think Trump is, you have far more evidence than even the leftist prosecutors have. Maybe you should give them your proof, or maybe you can be charged with "obstruction".

You wouldn't want that, would you, or are your accusations just plain BS?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.7  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @3.2.6    4 years ago

No, I favor the truth, reality has always had a liberal bias.  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.2.8  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @3.2.4    4 years ago
These investigations have been ongoing since tRump has always been a gangster, thief, liar, cheat, grifter, thug, thief, mobster his whole corrupt life.  

Your opinions only, and have no basis in reality.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
3.2.11  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  XDm9mm @3.2.1    4 years ago
But the Democrats have this penchant for believing if you do the same thing over and over again with the same results, the 'NEXT' time will be different.  That's the definition of insanity by the way.

they are stuck on stupid. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.2.12  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @3.2.7    4 years ago

Did you just type that with a straight face?

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2.13  Ender  replied to  XDm9mm @3.2.1    4 years ago

So you think the courts dissolving his so called charity and ordering them to pay close to two mil was fake? A wrong endeavor? 

Sounds to me like you all are making excuses for what he is doing.

So you think he has a right to withhold things or stop the state from being able to participate in things just for retribution? Or to tell the state to lower taxes?

I swear, there is no line you all will not let him cross.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.2.14  katrix  replied to  Ender @3.2.13    4 years ago

Amazing how the party of small government has turned into the party that supports autocracy. Never thought I'd see this day.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2.15  Ender  replied to  katrix @3.2.14    4 years ago

And they gleefully defend the practice.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.2.16  katrix  replied to  Ender @3.2.13    4 years ago

Not to mention his fraudulent university - he had to pony up $33 million for that fraud.

And yet they defend him, endlessly.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.17  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  katrix @3.2.16    4 years ago

Plus defrauding charities, cancer charities, children with cancer charities.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.19  seeder  Tessylo  replied to    4 years ago

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2.20  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @3.2.13    4 years ago

His supporters don't even care that his university was a sham from the beginning and that his steak and wine companies had such inferior products that they both went bust.

squiggy
Junior Silent
4  squiggy    4 years ago

This gives the left another chance to fail miserably - just before the general election.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

86418755_1374129642772685_8656402951822114816_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ohc=4BTuBFbdWY4AX9mTIat&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=4c588617857e8ada42452765cdf487ee&oe=5EFCC23D

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @5    4 years ago

They're still getting a raise...how can that be a cut?

DUH!

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1    4 years ago

DUH!

how can the 'best' economy, be in simultaneous 'economic hardship'...?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1    4 years ago
how can that be a cut?

Democrat playbook that's how. Happens every damned time budgets come up. When appropriations are less than what was asked for, liberals scream "He's cutting (read reducing) their budget" when indeed nothing is being cut as they want you to define it.

We heard this shit when the Benghazi screw up hit the fan. Remember? "But they (GOP in Congress) cut the security budget!!" when indeed it just wasn't as big as they wanted. There was STILL more than the previous year.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
5.1.3  katrix  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.1.1    4 years ago

What, you were expecting Trump to tell the truth about something?

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Ender  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.4    4 years ago
the Trump administration also recommended allowing agencies to spend an additional 1% of their salary budget on awards for high-performing employees or those with critical skillsets

Talk about cronyism. How are they going to take part of the pay budget to give to a select few? Sounds to me like some will not get a raise in order from several to decide who and when someone would get a bonus. That will go over well. And who decides who is worthy....someones buddy?

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Ender  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.6    4 years ago

You think that doesn't happen in private business? It is not just a public phenomenon.

You really think there will be no cronyism and the money will be distributed to the right people?

I have seen people in authority positions that reward people that shouldn't be and I have never held a public position.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1.8  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.6    4 years ago
who come in daily, don't do a phucking thing and then go home when they've done their eight hours.

I had to deal with a scenario like that a few years back. Had an employee (or two neither of which were in my direct charge) who, especially on a Friday, say "man I'm ready to go home". Replied "Well why not just go if you aren't busy?" The response was indicative of why I advocate for a fair and honest assessment and putting people on a salary (non-exempt) commensurate with the "contribution" that their position makes in the scheme of things based on a 45 hour work week. The response..............."I have to get my hours in." meaning the paycheck, and not the actual job, was first and foremost. While I understand personal finances need to be a priority, seemed like a waste of their time and the companies best interest.............but, I have always been a bit of a work-a-holic

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.9  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.6    4 years ago

We know XD - the whole world is based on your experiences alone.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.10  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.1.8    4 years ago

We know Jim - the whole world is based on your experiences alone.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1.11  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.10    4 years ago
based on your experiences alone. 

Don't you wish you had some highlights of experiences to share? Of course you do. [Deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.12  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.1.11    4 years ago

Envious of what?

katrix
Sophomore Participates
5.1.17  katrix  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.4    4 years ago
Please note that NOWHERE in the attached article is there ANY MENTION of as the Facebook trash indicates "economic hardship"

It's not just on FB. It's very easy to google.Trump clearly has been bragging about how awesome "his" economy is doing, while also claiming economic hardship as the reason to reduce the raise that was proposed.

In limiting federal pay raises, Trump cited his statutory authority to adjust pay because of "national emergency or serious economic conditions affecting the general welfare," but the President frequently touts a growing US economy, including a strong growth rate for the gross domestic product and low unemployment.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
5.1.18  katrix  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.6    4 years ago
how do you think those that bust their ass all day every day get the same raise as those that phuck off all day every day?

Agreed. Across the board raises don't do squat for the people who work the hardest and perform the best.

I remember years ago, asking for a healthy "out of cycle" raise. I brought proof of how much more work I was performing than most employees, and emails from people thanking me for doing such a great job for them. It worked - but if I had been a Federal employee, that wouldn't have happened.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
5.1.20  katrix  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.19    4 years ago

Stop with the hysterics. Maybe you should have bothered to look up the actual White House statement to Congress. Maybe Fox has made you forget that there are actual journalists out there, who research things.

TDS is a real thing. Trump Denial Syndrome.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
5.1.23  katrix  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.22    4 years ago

He made a personal comment in his statement to Congress that specifically stated he was using that Federal code as his justification for reducing the raise. This means he's claiming that there are national emergency or serious economic conditions affecting the general welfare of our country. Even Trump worshippers can't spin this one any other way.

Title 5, United States Code, authorizes me to implement alternative plans for pay adjustments for civilian Federal employees covered by the General Schedule and certain other pay systems if, because of “national emergency or serious economic conditions affecting the general welfare,” I view the increases that would otherwise take effect as inappropriate.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
5.1.24  katrix  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.21    4 years ago
which can be as little as a plaque or as much as a few grand.

I got more than a few grand that time.

I've been a government contractor before, and you're right - it is virtually impossible to get rid of bad Fed employees once they're off probation. One of my Feds wanted to get rid of a guy who did absolutely no work (he even bragged to my face that he hadn't done any work in 20 years and wasn't about to start now) - but the process was so onerous that he wouldn't have been able to get his own work done if he jumped through all those hoops.

Then there was the Fed who went out to her car several times a day to fill up her soda cup with liquor ...

But these people get the same raises as the Feds who bust their asses every day.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1.25  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  katrix @5.1.24    4 years ago
"We know katrix - the whole world is based on your experiences alone."

Sound familiar?  Sorry had to..............well not really but hey.

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.2  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @5    4 years ago

Federal civilian workers make far more than their military counterparts. This is clearly not the way it should be.

They are getting a pay raise, no matter what. Many civilians, not in government, get raises between 1 and 2 percent. The increase for government civilians is only being put in line with their civilian counterparts.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
5.2.1  katrix  replied to  bugsy @5.2    4 years ago
The increase for government civilians is only being put in line with their civilian counterparts.

High level Federal employees make less than their private industry counterparts. You're a scientist, or a CIO, or a lawyer - or a high level manager - you can make much more in private industry.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6  igknorantzrulz    4 years ago

STUPID

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
7  Jasper2529    4 years ago
Trump Accused Of Another Quid Pro Quo

Good grief ... chuckleheads have such an obsession over quid quo pro/ Trump and don't realize that many US presidents and congresspeople have used the same tactic!

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.1  bugsy  replied to  Jasper2529 @7    4 years ago

[deleted]

cjcold
Professor Quiet
7.1.1  cjcold  replied to  bugsy @7.1    4 years ago

Trump has lived his life as a serial liar and thief. The con-man in chief always seems to find somebody else to take the fall for his crimes. Since he became president 14 of his close aids and advisors have been indicted or imprisoned. Talk about a swamp!

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.1.2  bugsy  replied to  cjcold @7.1.1    4 years ago
Since he became president 14 of his close aids and advisors have been indicted or imprisoned.

For things they did before they were associated with Trump. Got anything else?

As far as a serial liar and thief....Where are the charges for his thievery. After all, he has been doing it his whole life, according to you, so charges should have been drawn up decades ago.

Liberal "fact checkers" use their feelings to determine what they consider a lie. Emotions play a large part of the liberal lifestyle.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @7.1.2    4 years ago

How about all the 1,000's of lawsuits against him?

DUH!

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.1.4  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.3    4 years ago

Anybody can file a lawsuit. Many are frivolous and only money or attention seeking. I'm sure many of those "1,000;s" fit that description.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @7.1.4    4 years ago

I'm sure you're wrong.  

katrix
Sophomore Participates
7.1.6  katrix  replied to  bugsy @7.1.4    4 years ago

Sure they're seeking money - money Trump owed them but refused to pay. He knows he can out-lawyer them and they'll just go broke and out of business.

He's like Leona Helmsley. Fuck the little people.

Funny how he seems to lose the big ones, like the $33 million for the fraudulent university and the $2 million for the fraudulent charity. That's the real reason he hates NY and CA so much - they made him pay for his fraud.

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.1.8  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.5    4 years ago
I'm sure you're wrong.

But you can't prove I am. Not surprised.

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.1.9  bugsy  replied to  katrix @7.1.6    4 years ago

I never said all of the lawsuits are out to simply get money...just because. No one is denying there have been legitimate lawsuits filed. 

I said many of the "1000's" of lawsuits may have been simply for money or spotlight. Don't try and argue what I never said.

What is funny is the lawsuits you cited were filed after he became president. Do you think that if he were not elected, and Hillary was, would any of these lawsuits been filed.

People with common sense say no. Most leftists say otherwise.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
7.1.10  cjcold  replied to  bugsy @7.1.9    4 years ago

Trump had been sued thousands of time before he ever became president.

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.1.11  bugsy  replied to  cjcold @7.1.10    4 years ago

He's a businessman. Most large businessmen do if they are in business as long as he has been.

BTW....not all lawsuits are against Trump. I'm sure you knew that. Maybe just forgot to mention s/

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    4 years ago

OMG.

Trump could stand on the sidewalk in Times Square pondering whether or not to hail a cab and Democrats would plan on an impeachment investigation based on both why he does hail the cab or why he decides to walk instead.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
8.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Tacos! @8    4 years ago

thought he was looking for 5th avenue...