By:  tessylo  •  4 years ago  •  56 comments

Trump to transfer $3.8B from military to fund his wall

Politics

Trump to transfer $3.8B from military to fund his wall

ANDREW TAYLOR and LOLITA C. BALDOR

Associated Press February 13, 2020, 3:25 PM EST

1   / 2

Trump

President Donald Trump listens to a question during a meeting with Ecuadorian President Lenin Moreno in the Oval Office of the White House, Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

More

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon on Thursday slashed billions of dollars in funding for 17 Navy and Air Force aircraft and other military programs to free up money for the construction of President Donald Trump's long-sought U.S.-Mexico border wall, angering not just Democrats but also GOP defense hawks.

Defense Secretary Mark Esper approved the $3.8 billion border wall request from the Department of Homeland Security, and the Pentagon acknowledged that more cuts could be coming to provide additional funding for Trump's signature campaign promise.

Thursday's decision only heightened sharp divisions between Trump and members of Congress who have opposed the use of military funding for the wall construction. Trump has repeatedly claimed that Mexico is paying for his promised “big beautiful wall,” but that has never happened.

The Pentagon's decision, announced in “reprogramming” documents provided to lawmakers, strips money from major aircraft and procurement programs that touch Republican and Democratic districts and states. And it got bipartisan condemnation, including from the Democratic and Republican leaders of the House Armed Services Committee.

“Today’s reprogramming request confirms once again that the President is obsessed with fulfilling a campaign promise at the expense of our national security," Rep. Adam Smith of Washington, the panel's Democratic chairman, said in a statement. “This Administration has already stolen billions from the Department of Defense in order to begin building the President’s vanity wall and today they are doubling down on bad policy.”

Rep. Mack Thornberry of Texas, the top Republican on the committee, said Congress has the constitutional authority to determine how defense dollars are spent and "the re-programming today is contrary to Congress's constitutional authority.”

Despite congressional opposition, Trump faced no consequences when making similar transfers last year, when the Pentagon canceled dozens of military construction projects to free up $3.6 billion and transferred $2.5 billion in counter-drug money.

All together, Trump has obtained just over $3 billion for border barrier construction by working through regular congressional channels, subject to limitations imposed by lawmakers. And he has used various transfer and emergency authorities to shift almost $7 billion more from the emergency declaration, a forfeiture fund containing money seized by law enforcement, and funding for military counter-drug activities.

Bob Salesses, the deputy assistant defense secretary, told reporters on Thursday that this latest plan would build 30-foot fencing on federally controlled land in six border areas: San Diego and El Centro, California; Yuma and Tuscon, Arizona, and El Paso and Del Rio, Texas. He said a review by the Defense Department concluded that all the sectors are “high intensity drug trafficking” areas and that money from military operations and maintenance accounts will be transferred to the counter-drug fund to be used for the barriers, roads and lighting.

DHS last month asked the Pentagon to fund the construction of 271 miles of border wall at a cost of about $5.5 billion, as part of a counter-drug effort. Esper approved a portion of that.

Asked if more defense funding cuts could be forthcoming later this year, Salesses said discussions are ongoing within the department but no decisions have been made. He acknowledged that it is possible more military construction projects could be canceled this year in order to free up funding for the wall.

Last year the Pentagon cut funding from projects such as schools, target ranges and maintenance facilities across 23 states, 19 countries and three U.S. territories. The move, which affected numerous projects in Republican districts and states, triggered outrage on Capitol Hill.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer said in a statement that the cuts represent another broken promise Trump has made to service members. “This latest effort to steal Congressionally-appropriated military funding undermines our national security and the separation of powers enshrined in our Constitution,” they said.

Specifically, the plan targets money for two F-35 fighters sought by top House Appropriations Committee Republican Kay Granger and other members of the Texas delegation. It also cuts funding for eight Reaper drones, four Air Force C-130 transport aircraft, two Marine V-22 Osprey helicopters and also for amphibious ships, National Guard equipment and Army trucks.

Many of the programs are favored by lawmakers for the jobs they bring to their districts and states. For example, the cuts affect an amphibious assault ship built in Mississippi and an Expeditionary Fast Transport ship that's built in Alabama, a state represented by Sen. Richard Shelby, the Republican chairman of the Appropriations Committee.

“This is a congressional special interest item,” said the Pentagon documents, referring to the targets of many of the cuts.

Trump's action comes less than two months after he signed a huge appropriations package into law and just days after the administration unveiled its fiscal 2021 budget. That budget contains a $2 billion request for the wall, less than Trump asked for last year, which reflects the fact that Trump has more money for the wall than can be spent immediately.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  author  Tessylo    4 years ago

Thursday's decision only heightened sharp divisions between Trump and members of Congress who have opposed the use of military funding for the wall construction. Trump has repeatedly claimed that Mexico is paying for his promised “big beautiful wall,” but that has never happened.

The Pentagon's decision, announced in “reprogramming” documents provided to lawmakers, strips money from major aircraft and procurement programs that touch Republican and Democratic districts and states. And it got bipartisan condemnation, including from the Democratic and Republican leaders of the House Armed Services Committee.

“Today’s reprogramming request confirms once again that the President is obsessed with fulfilling a campaign promise at the expense of our national security," Rep. Adam Smith of Washington, the panel's Democratic chairman, said in a statement. “This Administration has already stolen billions from the Department of Defense in order to begin building the President’s vanity wall and today they are doubling down on bad policy.”

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Tessylo @1    4 years ago

Tess - if the members of Congress are so "pissed" about the funding, why don't they do something about the $52 Billion dollars the "Pentagon" spent on "new" equipment over the past 17 years that hasn't even been produced yet?????

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Dulay  replied to  1stwarrior @1.1    4 years ago

The topic is the 'reprogramming' of funds.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dulay @1.1.1    4 years ago

Build the wall! 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @1    4 years ago

“This latest effort to steal Congressionally-appropriated military funding undermines our national security and the separation of powers enshrined in our Constitution,” they said.

Total bullshit. It's a drop in the bucket as far as military appropriations go, and it's entirely within the scope of presidential powers. Only those who desire open borders and unchecked illegal alien infiltration are against good and secure border security enforcement.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    4 years ago

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
1.3  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Tessylo @1    4 years ago

you told me that wall would never be built.

oh well... better luck next time.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.3.1  Ozzwald  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @1.3    4 years ago
you told me that wall would never be built.

It never will be.  Building the wall is an impossibility given the terrain of the border.  It is also not going to make one whit of difference in the number of immigrants crossing the border.

Even an 8 year old was able to free climb the stupid wall.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
1.3.2  bccrane  replied to  Ozzwald @1.3.1    4 years ago

Would've been better if instead of photos it were a video.  It looks like she took advantage of the obvious problem with the replica that there is an end to allow climbing around the end instead of trying to climb up the no hand holds plate, so her one minute climb is a fail, unless she can prove she can climb up the plate.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.3.3  Tacos!  replied to  Ozzwald @1.3.1    4 years ago

She ain't scalin' shit. She's got someone holding a rope on the other side, and she goes around the barrier to get to the top. She wouldn't be able to do that on the real thing. Then she'd have to get down without being belayed.

Also, kids are monkeys. Let's see the adults that are going to be with her do the same thing.

Unfortunately, because people are so eager to "win" politics, they'll look at this and come to the ridiculous conclusion that we should build no barrier at all at the border.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.3.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Tacos! @1.3.3    4 years ago
Also, kids are monkeys. Let's see the adults that are going to be with her do the same thing.

You know, you could have found the rest of the video yourself, if you had the slightest interest in the truth.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.3.5  Tacos!  replied to  Ozzwald @1.3.4    4 years ago
You know, you could have found the rest of the video yourself, if you had the slightest interest in the truth.

First, I don't go hunting through the internet to make your point. That's your job.

Second, you could open your eyes and your mind if you has the slightest interest in the truth. Your second video reinforces what I said about your first video. Every single person that climbs that wall has the benefit of someone else supporting them with a rope. Additionally, every single person that we see get to the top grabs the side of the panel at the top - something they wouldn't be able to do on a complete section of fence.

And third, what is your point in posting these videos? I would never say any barrier is impossible to get over if you have enough time, equipment, and help. The point is that it's much harder to get over than simply walking across open desert. It's a deterrent, not the hand of God. It does precisely what it's supposed to do.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
1.3.6  bccrane  replied to  Ozzwald @1.3.4    4 years ago

Again a fail, using the end is not climbing what the actual wall is.  Of course you can climb it, but none of the climbers could get past the plate without using the "edge" which is nonexistent on the real wall. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
1.3.7  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ozzwald @1.3.1    4 years ago
It never will be

is that why I see trucks hauling prefabricated sections of the border wall south every single day?

yep, "it will never be" - I guess that explains it... LOL

It is also not going to make one whit of difference in the number of immigrants crossing the border.

security is about multiple layers. every layer slows them down more and more. that wall is just another layer in the cake.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
1.3.8  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ozzwald @1.3.4    4 years ago
Is it possible to scale Trump's southern border wall? These KY climbers say it is.

I guarantee I could climb it in a few minutes with just a rope and grappling hook. but anyone not in shape? not a chance in hell.

I seriously don't believe anyone thinks it is 100 percent effective... nothing is.

effective security is all about multiple layers.

picking up and deporting the 10% of people who can climb that wall is a lot easier than also picking up and deporting the 90% who could not.

that wall is just another layer in the border cake

sure some can climb it but that wall will stop the largest percentage of illegals on the spot.   

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.3.9  Ozzwald  replied to  Tacos! @1.3.5    4 years ago
First, I don't go hunting through the internet to make your point.

I already made my point, you should look so you don't appear to be a fool when trying to make YOUR point.

Your second video reinforces what I said about your first video. Every single person that climbs that wall has the benefit of someone else supporting them with a rope.

That rope is in case they fall, not to help them up the wall.  It doesn't support any of your claims.

And third, what is your point in posting these videos? I would never say any barrier is impossible to get over if you have enough time, equipment, and help.

Is a 70 billion dollar wall, worth the money to slow someone up for only a few minutes?

The point is that it's much harder to get over than simply walking across open desert.

No, the point is that it is very slightly harder.  I showed videos of people free climbing over it, have you forgotten the stories of people cutting through it with a $200 reciprocating saw?  Or the tunnels?  Or the people handing drugs through the slats?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.3.10  Tacos!  replied to  Ozzwald @1.3.9    4 years ago
I already made my point

Your point seems to be that if a fit person has a rope tied to their waist and a person on the other end pulling on it, they can climb to the top of a five-foot wide section of fence.

That's not really a point as much as it is an observation - one that is irrelevant to the question of whether or not a border wall is a good idea.

That rope is in case they fall, not to help them up the wall.

Have you done any climbing? It turns out the whole business is a lot easier with that rope. For one thing, you aren't worried about falling. That affects how you climb. Second, if you get tired, you can take a break and your buddy can hold you. Third, if you're really tired, your buddy can actually help pull you up to the top. In short, the rope matters.

Is a 70 billion dollar wall, worth the money to slow someone up for only a few minutes?

It's not "someone." Don't be dishonest. It's somewhere between 12 and 22 million "someones." And it's estimated that they drain our resources to the tune of well over $100 billion a year . So yes, it's worth it.

I showed videos of people free climbing over it,

When they improved the wall in San Diego, illegal crossings dropped by 90%. Walls work.

have you forgotten the stories of people cutting through it with a $200 reciprocating saw? 

Was it the kind that plugs in? It would be funny if they carried that one through the desert and then were like "where's the outlet?" They do come with batteries, of course, but you still have to carry it across the desert. Heck, you have to be able to buy it in the first place.

Or the tunnels? 

What about them? That takes a lot of time, work, and people. It's not like Bugs Bunny where you can just jump into the ground and tunnel around the world. 

Or the people handing drugs through the slats?

Beats having them drive the drugs into the country by the ton.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.3.11  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ozzwald @1.3.1    4 years ago

The 240 lb child in the WH was seriously served by an 8 year old girl.jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.3.12  Ozzwald  replied to  Tacos! @1.3.10    4 years ago
Have you done any climbing? It turns out the whole business is a lot easier with that rope.

You still haven't watched the video, the rope is slack, the rope adds weight actually making the climb more difficult.  You got some desperate spinning going on there.

It's not "someone." Don't be dishonest. It's somewhere between 12 and 22 million "someones." And it's estimated that they drain our resources to the tune of well   over $100 billion a year   . So yes, it's worth it.

FACT: IMMIGRANTS CONTRIBUTE TO JOB CREATION.

Illegal immigration's overall impact on the U.S. economy is negligible

Your point is meaningless, the wall doesn't stop anyone, it just very slightly slows them down.

When they improved the wall in San Diego, illegal crossings dropped by 90%. Walls work.

And increased the crossings around the edge of the wall by the same amount.  AGAIN, just slightly slowed them down.

Was it the kind that plugs in? 

Duh gee, ever heard of batteries?

They do come with batteries, of course, but you still have to carry it across the desert.

Just exactly how much do you think they weigh???  jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

It's not like Bugs Bunny where you can just jump into the ground and tunnel around the world. 

The tunnels are already there, and new ones are being dug all the time.

Beats having them drive the drugs into the country by the ton.

The ones that are driving that much into the country, will still be driving that much into the country.  Or in you mind are cross country semi trucks a thing???

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.3.13  Tacos!  replied to  Ozzwald @1.3.12    4 years ago
the rope is slack, the rope adds weight actually making the climb more difficult

I've done enough climbing that I was generally glad to have a rope. I never felt like it was so heavy that climbing was made more difficult. Everything I said about ropes above is based on my personal experience.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.3.14  Ozzwald  replied to  Tacos! @1.3.13    4 years ago

I never felt like it was so heavy that climbing was made more difficult.

So you are saying that additional weight does not increase the difficulty of a climb in the least?

Everything I said about ropes above is based on my personal experience.

So you are claiming, in your own personal experience, that you have never been able to climb without the rope being pulled on to assist your climb?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.3.15  Tacos!  replied to  Ozzwald @1.3.14    4 years ago
So you are saying that additional weight does not increase the difficulty of a climb in the least?

Didn't say that. I said the weight of a rope is not significant.

So you are claiming, in your own personal experience, that you have never been able to climb without the rope being pulled on to assist your climb?

I never said anything close to that. Holy shit, when you want a make up a straw man, you just go all the way, huh!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.3.16  Ozzwald  replied to  Tacos! @1.3.15    4 years ago
Didn't say that. I said the weight of a rope is not significant.

Semantics, if the weight of the rope is not significant, then you are claiming that it does not increase the difficulty.  I see you have stopped claiming the rope helped them climb however.

I never said anything close to that. Holy shit, when you want a make up a straw man, you just go all the way, huh!

You keep claiming different things with each comment, how the hell am I supposed to figure out what you are trying to say.  Stick to one claim or another, but stick to one.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.3.17  Tacos!  replied to  Ozzwald @1.3.16    4 years ago
Semantics

You're the one who went to playing word games with additional weight increasing difficulty "in the least." That's so vague and open-ended, I'll concede it's possible that somebody somewhere might be bothered by it, but that has definitely not been my experience nor the experience of anyone I have known who has climbed while being belayed. 

I see you have stopped claiming the rope helped them climb however.

Nope, I still think it's an aid for one or more of the reasons I mentioned above.

You keep claiming different things with each comment

I'm not responsible for claims you invent and then attribute to me.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.18  author  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @1.3.16    4 years ago

There's that spinning and goal post moving that he does all the time 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.3.19  Ozzwald  replied to  Tacos! @1.3.17    4 years ago
I'm not responsible for claims you invent and then attribute to me.

And I'm not responsible for your inability to stay consistent and on topic with your comments.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.3.20  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @1.3.18    4 years ago

There's that whatever it is that you do all the time. I think it rhymes with strolling. At least have the spine to attack me to my face.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.3.21  Ozzwald  replied to  Tacos! @1.3.20    4 years ago

[deleted]

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.4  squiggy  replied to  Tessylo @1    4 years ago
major aircraft and procurement programs

He took pork and made a tangible defense tool out of it.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    4 years ago

Sounds like a bargain. We have another seed going right now that says the military has wasted $22 billion on a replacement for the Bradley fighting vehicle with nothing to show for it. This looks like a far more efficient expenditure of money.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tacos! @2    4 years ago

Bingo!

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @2    4 years ago

All that means is that Trump should be figuring out how to better vet and control military contracts. That way he won't have to 'reassign' funding from fighter jets and base construction for his wall. Hell, I bet he could find millions in waste by the contractors building his vanity project. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.1  author  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @2.2    4 years ago

He's gutting veterans' pensions next.  I mean, 'reassigning funds'.  

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.2.2  1stwarrior  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.1    4 years ago

Tess - you continually make that charge and when asked for proof, you always avoid or don't answer.  Veteran's pensions/benefits WILL NOT be touched for construction of the wall/replacement.

Please, for once, prove your statement with some facts.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.3  author  Tessylo  replied to  1stwarrior @2.2.2    4 years ago

Up next, tRump to gut veteran pensions.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.3    4 years ago

Yeah we hear that "He's going to" shit all the time.................

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  1stwarrior @2.2.2    4 years ago

I am retired military and 100% disability rating by the VA. Nothing has been done to either pension nor have I heard that there will be. To hear anybody say that is wishful thinking and smoke blowing on their part! I too am very interested to hear verifiable proof on this, but I know I will not.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2.6  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.1    4 years ago

Prove it!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3  MrFrost    4 years ago

2016: Trump proclaims that he will increase military spending by 5%, if he is elected. The right wing went ape shit screaming about how great it was that trump was supporting our military. 

2020: Trump diverts 5% of the military spending for his border wall. The right wing goes crazy exclaiming, "Our military was too big and overfunded anyway!!!!", (I guess they forgot that they were complaining that Obama had destroyed the military just over 3 years ago).

So what's the point? 

The point is that trump asked for funding from our Republican led congress and he was told, "no". Congress controls the spending, if they said no, it's "NO". So instead of trump abiding by what congress, (the will of the people), has said, he is just doing an end run around congress to get his project done. Forgetting all of that, what happened to Mexico paying for it? Trump says he wants to finish the wall because he made a promise...ok, fair enough, he also made a promise that Mexico would pay for it. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  MrFrost @3    4 years ago
(I guess they forgot that they were complaining that Obama had destroyed the military just over 3 years ago)

Nope.  Didn't forget.  It's hard to forget that because of the Obama administrations cuts I have close friends that never come home and I walk with a limp.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4  Jeremy Retired in NC    4 years ago

"House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer said in a statement that the cuts represent another broken promise Trump has made to service members"

So the king and queen of broken promises are somebody we should believe?  Fuck them.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  author  Tessylo    4 years ago

To any one who is tired of Hillary, my apologies, but I have always liked her and I think she got a raw deal, despite what anyone else thinks, that's my humble opinion on the subject.  The reason I bring it up is I found a nice picture of Hillary and wanted to share it as some here, when they do post pics of folks they don't like, find the worse images possible, plus photoshopping

86969580_2772391049465551_4737538709207908352_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ohc=SGq4moZfTbwAX-qwPPc&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=1181fb17dbb25be070e31f05eb88b63e&oe=5EC0510B

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.1  KDMichigan  replied to  Tessylo @5    4 years ago

Hillary is Trash and needs to go back to her walks in the woods. No one needs to photoshop Hillary. Her rotting core shines thru for all to see.

My favorite Photo of Hillary is when she loss the election, three chins and all.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  KDMichigan @5.1    4 years ago
My favorite Photo of Hillary is when she loss the election, three chins and all.

Are you certain that you are the right person to be sitting in judgment on someone else's 'three chins and all'?  

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.1.2  KDMichigan  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.1.1    4 years ago

[deleted]

lib50
Professor Silent
5.1.3  lib50  replied to  KDMichigan @5.1.2    4 years ago

I found it!

psbattle%20main.jpg

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.1.4  KDMichigan  replied to  lib50 @5.1.3    4 years ago

[deleted]

squiggy
Junior Silent
5.2  squiggy  replied to  Tessylo @5    4 years ago

[deleted]

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tessylo @5    4 years ago

I have a tarp that looks like her dress.  WTF.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6  Jeremy Retired in NC    4 years ago

Maybe if he had done it via Executive Order  like the last administration the Democrats would be good with it.