╌>

Bloomberg is considering Hillary Clinton as his running mate, says Matt Drudge

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  1stwarrior  •  4 years ago  •  171 comments

Bloomberg is considering Hillary Clinton as his running mate, says Matt Drudge

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

KEY POINTS

• According to the Drudge Report, presidential candidate Mike Bloomberg is considering Hilary Clinton as a vice presidential running mate after positive internal polling about the potential pairing.
  • According to Drudge, in such a partnership Bloomberg would change his official residence from New York to Colorado or Florida.
  • The constitution suggests there may be limitations in both members of a presidential ballot residing in the same state.

Presidential candidate   Mike Bloomberg   is considering   Hillary Clinton   as a vice presidential running mate after positive internal polling about the potential pairing, according to the Drudge Report, which cited sources close to the Bloomberg campaign.

According to Drudge, in such a partnership Bloomberg would change his official residence from New York to Colorado or Florida. The constitution suggests there may be limitations in both members of a presidential ballot residing in the same state.

Jason Schechter, director of communications for the Bloomberg campaign, said in a statement to CNBC: “We are focused on the primary and the debate, not VP speculation.” A spokesperson for Clinton did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Former First Lady and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton ran for president in 2016, losing to Donald Trump in an election that served him 304 electoral votes and Clinton 227. Helping Trump’s victory were his wins in key industrial and Rust Belt states -- Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Michigan. Those states are likely to be key in the 2020 election as well.

Clinton was asked earlier this year by talk show host Ellen DeGeneres if she would consider running as vice president in the 2020 presidential election.

“Well, that’s not going to happen,” Clinton said at the time. “But no, probably no.”

Clinton has been less coy when addressing the current field of Democratic candidates. In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Hillary Clinton slammed Sen. Bernie Sanders, her main competitor in the 2016 Democratic primary, saying “nobody likes him” and accusing him of supporting sexist attacks against his rivals.

Bloomberg has recently has been asked to   answer for accusations the company he founded, Bloomberg LP, was discriminatory toward women.

Bloomberg, a late contender in the presidential race, has been   pouring money into ads and online memes   to support his run. Those efforts appear to have born fruit, with him rising in the polls.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1  seeder  1stwarrior    4 years ago

Say it isn't so.  If he does make her his selected VP - . . . . . . .

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  1stwarrior @1    4 years ago

That would be something.  If Bloomberg won and Hillary was VP, man, the heads would be EXPLODING!

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.3  squiggy  replied to  1stwarrior @1    4 years ago

86346597_2871449226248050_8233736723461308416_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ohc=BPy35yeoYhcAX9nINkC&_nc_ht=scontent.fabe1-1.fna&oh=e3429a3b78f196d17f6c9cfb8dbf6556&oe=5EC39E7E

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

OK folks let's get real. It's not even allowed by the 12 Amendment. And heck, Matt Drudge would have no reason to float this fake news at all. Naughty, naughty Matt... umm errr.. not my hubby, Matt. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    4 years ago

I think it would be allowed if Bloomberg changed his state of residency as the article suggests.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    4 years ago

Bloomberg Campaign Shuts Down Report He’s Considering Hillary Clinton As Running Mate

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.2  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.1    4 years ago

Did you know that there are 1,036 REGISTERED CANDIDATES for President in the 2020 elections??????

Betcha most of us don't even know 1/10th of their names or parties.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.2    4 years ago

OK, I didn't know the exact number, but the story isn't true, 1st. I understand how easy it was to take it as real. It was everywhere on the internet. But this is what the problem is with false information being seeded on the internet. We are all going to have to be careful with what we think is real and go the extra mile to find that out.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.1    4 years ago

If there ever was such an actual rumor, and it wasnt just an invention of the right wing instigator Matt Drudge, it would have been to float the idea that Bloomberg has ties to the Democratic establishment and is not just an interloper. 

These kinds of stories are clickbait for conservatives who have been obsessing about Hillary Clinton since 1991.  Thats 30 fricking years ago folks. These rwnj need to find another hobby. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.4    4 years ago
If there ever was such an actual rumor, and it wasnt just an invention of the right wing instigator Matt Drudge, it would have been to float the idea that Bloomberg has ties to the Democratic establishment and is not just an interloper. 

Gotta agree with you there, John.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.6  MrFrost  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.2    4 years ago
Did you know that there are 1,036 REGISTERED CANDIDATES for President in the 2020 elections??????

Well, shit, ya caught me. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.7  XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.1    4 years ago

Allegations Of Stunningly Misogynistic Remarks Come Back To Haunt Bloomberg

2x.jpg 1608w, https://cdn.talkingpointsmemo.com/ Democratic presidential candidate Mike Bloomberg holds a campaign rally on February 4, 2020 in ...MORE 

2020 candidate Michael Bloomberg seems to have more in common with President Donald Trump than he’d like to admit.

On Saturday, the Washington Postpublished a 1997 lawsuit against Bloomberg and his company filed by Sekiko Sakai Garrison, a former salesperson, that revealed that the billionaire had made shockingly misogynistic comments to Garrison and other female employees.

In her lawsuit, Garrison alleged that when she told Bloomberg she was pregnant, he responded, “Kill it!” and said it again when she asked him to repeat himself.

“Great! Number 16!” he allegedly said, a complaint about how many employees had gotten pregnant.

A former employee for Bloomberg, David Zielenziger, confirmed Garrison’s account to the Post.

“He talked kind of crudely about women all the time,” Zielenziger said of his former boss. Indeed, the lawsuit alleged that Bloomberg would say “I’d fuck that in a second” upon seeing certain women.

He allegedly told several female employees that “all of you girls” should “line up” to give oral sex to male coworker who was getting married “as a wedding present.”

Garrison’s suit also alleged that Bloomberg had made a racist comment while chewing out a female employee who was struggling to find someone to help take care of her child.

“It’s a fucking baby!” he said, according to the lawsuit. “All you need is some black who doesn’t have to speak English to rescue it from a burning building.”

Bloomberg, who denied the accusations under oath, ended up settling with Garrison for an undisclosed amount.

The Post cited another lawsuit by former Bloomberg employee Mary Ann Olszewski, who sued Bloomberg LLP after a supervisor allegedly raped her. According to her suit, there was a culture of “sexual degradation of women” at the company. She alleged that Bloomberg would say “I’d like to do that piece of meat” about his employees.

After the Post published its report, Bloomberg claimed via Twitter that he has “demonstrated” throughout his career that he “will always be a champion for women in the workplace.”

Bloomberg’s campaign told the Post that the billionaire “never tolerated any kind of discrimination or harassment” at his company.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.8  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.4    4 years ago

Well Cheney moved back to Wyoming from Texas so he could be GWBush’s running mate and not from the same state in 2000.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.2  Tacos!  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    4 years ago
It's not even allowed by the 12 Amendment.

Oh! So she is from New York. jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tacos! @2.2    4 years ago

She lives here. She's not like me. Born in Brooklyn. Would you like some cawfee, dawgs, or dawters?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.2.3  arkpdx  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.1    4 years ago

dawters = female offspring?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    4 years ago

Really? How very cool. My dad was born there in 1933. Where in Brooklyn did she come from? My dad is from Canarsie. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  arkpdx @2.2.3    4 years ago
dawters = female offspring?

Indeedy! :)

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.3  Snuffy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    4 years ago

I disagree. The 12th Amendment states that the electors from the electoral college would vote for the president and vice-president,  one of which must not be from their (the electors) home state. So the 12th Amendment doesn't prevent both the president and vice-president from being from the same state, but if they were than that states electoral college votes would not be counted.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.3.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Snuffy @2.3    4 years ago

Snuffy,

I have read several different opinions about that. There is a long history of the 12th, and your interpretation is one of them.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
3  MonsterMash    4 years ago

If Bloomberg selected Hillary as his VP and won the presidency as bad as Hillary wants to be president, she would have him bumped off before he was in office for 200 days.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MonsterMash @3    4 years ago

I'd believe that first.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.2  arkpdx  replied to  MonsterMash @3    4 years ago

You think she'd wait that long?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    4 years ago

I really doubt she would ever accept the invitation. For her, it's president, emperor, or nothing (aka bitter old lady).

Very often VPs are picked because they help to shore up some constituency that the nominee is weak in. Since they're both rich snobs from New York, I don't really see an upside in choosing her.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tacos! @4    4 years ago
Very often VPs are picked because they help to shore up some constituency that the nominee is weak in.

True.

Since they're both rich snobs from New York,

First of all, she is not from NY. Second, is this your general opinion of NYer's in general? And third, Bloomberg was middle class until his mid 30's. I thought it was no sin to work hard and become successful. Isn't that what you are selling to all those working-class folks who vote for Trump?

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.1  MonsterMash  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1    4 years ago
First of all, she is not from NY.

No, Hillary isn't from New York, she's a demon from hell. Trump is just an immature schoolyard bully.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.2  Tacos!  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1    4 years ago
First of all, she is not from NY

She's from New York enough to be Senator.

is this your general opinion of NYer's in general?

Did I say it was? I said they are both rich snobs from New York. I'm not wrong.

Bloomberg was middle class until his mid 30's.

Yeah, and I still had a six-pack in my 30s. Think I can sell the ladies on that?

I thought it was no sin to work hard and become successful.

It's not. Hard work doesn't keep you from being a snob. You keep trying to argue against a specific case with generalities. That's not going to change my opinion of Hillary Clinton or Michael Bloomberg. Heck, I might be inclined to even for that rich snob Bloomberg come November - but probably not if Hillary is on the ticket with him.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.2    4 years ago
She's from New York enough to be Senator.

You must have missed all the press where we called her a carpetbagger.

Did I say it was? I saidtheyare both rich snobs from New York. I'm not wrong.

Bloomberg is hardly a snob. I have met the man personally when I graduated from Baruch College CUNY where he gave our commencement speech. Talking to him was like talking to any other person you might know.

Yeah, and I still had a six-pack in my 30s. Think I can sell the ladies on that?

We are not talking about appearances. We are talking about core personality. Has that changed with you over the year? I bet not.

Hard work doesn't keep you from being a snob.

What makes someone a snob? To me, it's when they lose touch with the people of lesser status. Yet that was not the man I met. He had no reason to be pleasant and have a chat with me at my graduation. He wasn't even the mayor at that time. He was just the owner of  Bloomberg, Inc. talking about how many of his employees were hired from Baruch College and why he thinks that our City University system is amazing. This was a guy who went to Hopkins. I think he is very in touch with the common man.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.4  Tacos!  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.3    4 years ago
We are not talking about appearances. We are talking about core personality. Has that changed with you over the year? I bet not.

So what you're saying is, I still have a six-pack on the inside?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.4    4 years ago

Well, that depends on how much beer you had today jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    4 years ago

First of all, Trump has said plenty of racist things. How come that's OK?

Second, if Bloomberg is so out of touch, why are so many blacks backing him?

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
4.2  MonsterMash  replied to  Tacos! @4    4 years ago
I really doubt she would ever accept the invitation. For her, it's president, emperor, or nothing

Hillary would accept the VP invitation putting her a heartbeat away from the throne that she thinks is rightfully hers. She would make sure Bloomberg's heart stopped beating.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  MonsterMash @4.2    4 years ago

Yeah, does Bloomberg survive the inauguration if he wins? Or a few weeks for appearances sake.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.2.4  MrFrost  replied to    4 years ago

I heard the note is already written, It's on her server under Yoga/Wedding plans.

Proof? Link? 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5  TᵢG    4 years ago

Hillary would absolutely run for the chance to be the first female V.P.   She is all about legacy.    Thing is, she would be a great choice to help Bloomberg defeat Trump.   I say that not out of a desire to see her run (I wish she would go away) but rather as an objective conclusion.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @5    4 years ago
Thing is, she would be a great choice to help Bloomberg defeat Trump.

I'm not sure about that.  She's carrying a lot of baggage, and she's come across as a very sore loser lately.  Her views on Bernie especially look bitter.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TᵢG @5    4 years ago

I think we have to depart ways here Tig. She has been poisoned.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.1  TᵢG  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.2    4 years ago

Well I hope we never find out.   But her ability to secure the popular win is not something I am going to dismiss when comparing her to what other V.P. candidates might bring in terms of votes.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.2.2  Ronin2  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.2    4 years ago

"Has been poisoned"?  She always was and will be poison. It took some far too long to notice is all.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ronin2 @5.2.2    4 years ago

Picky, Picky! You know what I mean.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.2    4 years ago

She is poison.  She is such a bad candidate and person that the American people turned to Trump to escape her evil clutches.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.5  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.4    4 years ago

No way in hell.  I voted for Hillary

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.2.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  Tessylo @5.2.5    4 years ago

So did I.  Anybody but Trump.  But lately, I wish she'd keep her mouth shut.  I don't care much for Bernie, but her attack on him, after he supported her during the general, look petty and mean.  If she can't say something nice about her party's potential nominee (any of them), she shouldn't say anything at all.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
5.3  MonsterMash  replied to  TᵢG @5    4 years ago
she would be a great choice to help Bloomberg defeat Trump.

Oh sure, make (slam them against the wall) Bloomberg the nominee that will cause at least 25% of Bernie's pissed off supporters and a good 25% of blacks to stay home on election day. 

If Hillary was the VP nominee, she'd lose a good portion of the indies that would otherwise vote for Bloomberg. Hillary on the ticket would be like putting arsenic in the Democrats cookies. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.3.1  TᵢG  replied to  MonsterMash @5.3    4 years ago

Like I said, she got the popular vote.   Whether or not you like her, she got more votes than Trump.   That is a fact that I certainly am not going to dismiss just because I think she is a horrible candidate for PotUS.   As running mate, she would deliver votes.   

Now, until Bloomberg offers another running mate for comparison, it seems obvious to me that Hillary would help him win.   ( It troubles me to state that. )

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
5.3.2  MonsterMash  replied to  TᵢG @5.3.1    4 years ago
Like I said, she got the popular vote. 

That was in 2016 when she headed the ticket, this is 2020 and she would be 2nd banana. Do you think people are going to vote for the nominee or a spoiled banana? The people that would vote for Bloomberg might not want a rotten banana in their bowl with good cereal and fresh milk.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.3.3  TᵢG  replied to  MonsterMash @5.3.2    4 years ago
That was in 2016 when she headed the ticket, this is 2020 and she would be 2nd banana.

Yes indeed.   

Do you think people are going to vote for the nominee or a spoiled banana?

The V.P. is often chosen to bring in votes.   Apparently you (for whatever reason) do not think Hillary can bring in votes.  I, in contrast, follow the facts where they lead even if I do not like the outcome.

The people that would vote for Bloomberg might not want a rotten banana in their bowl with good cereal and fresh milk.

Okay, your analogy is now too cute.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.3.4  Tacos!  replied to  MonsterMash @5.3    4 years ago
If Hillary was the VP nominee, she'd lose a good portion of the indies that would otherwise vote for Bloomberg.

Count me among them.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  TᵢG @5    4 years ago

Thing is, she would be a great choice to help Bloomberg defeat Trum

What does she bring to the table. She is about the only American poltiician who was  capable of losing to the most unpopular Presidential candidate in modern american history despite outspending by almost a two to one ratio.. Is it the fact that she mirrors Trump's reputation for lying and self dealing?  Or given Bloomberg's me too problems, you believe recrating the dynamic of the abuser and the enforcer who threatened victims would play as well for Bloomberg and Clinton as it did for Clinton and Clinton.

Just consider the states Bloomberg needs to flip from Trump. Do you think adding another New Yorker who just so happneed to ignore those states in 2016  will in any way help win a State like Michigan?  Picking Hillary gives independents and Democrats a reason to stay home or vote for Trump. She won't inspire anyone who's already in the Democratic column to vote Democratic.  She's basically  the dream VP for Trump to run against. 

Bloomberg, or any Democrat nominee running against Trump,  needs to pick a woman who won't take votes away from him and will mollify the Sanders wing of the party.   That's all you want from a VP.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.1  TᵢG  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.4    4 years ago
She's basically  the dream VP for Trump to run against. 

I am aware of Clinton's negatives.   I think I made that clear.

Yet she won the popular vote against Trump.    How can you dismiss that?    I can see why Bloomberg might consider her for a running mate.

Also, since I know how social forums get confused, I do not want to see Clinton ever again.   I am simply reacting to the facts at hand.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.4.3  JBB  replied to    4 years ago

Yet the gop lost the 2018 midterm popular vote by 8%. Trump pulled an inside straight to win the EC while losing the popular vote by 3% in 2016 but that is mathematically impossible if he loses by five or more percent in 2020...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.4.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  TᵢG @5.4.1    4 years ago

he won the popular vote against Trump.    How can you dismiss that

Because I think almost any poltiician with a D after thier name would have outperformed Clinton. By any metric, Trump was a uniquely terrible candidate in 2016. He was essentially a reality show host with no poltiical experience,  beset with scandal, with no money to spend, hated by half his party  and his personal approval ratings were the lowest in modern history.  He was the definition of a layup.  Biden, Bloomberg, almost anyone but Clinton would be President today if they had the Democratic nomination in 2016.  Given almost any other Democrat, the electoral college in 2016 probably looks very close to 2008. 

Her appeal among Democrats seems to be that Republicans despise her. Which is great in states like California, Illinois and New York where Democrats simply cannot lose  Maybe putting her on the ballot slighlty increases margins in those states, though I seriously doubt it.  It would be the equivlaent of choosing a Republican VP based on their popularity in Alabama.    But as she showed in 2016, she's electoral poison in states where Demcorats traditionally win close elections, like Penn, Wi, Mich etc.... 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.6  TᵢG  replied to    4 years ago

California always over votes for the Ds.    You seem to be ignoring the other 49 states.   For example, Clinton lost Florida yet she got 47.8% of the vote.   Against Trump, those are still likely Clinton voters.   

One can speak of Clinton negatives against the untested positives of other yet-unnamed candidates for V.P., but the fact that she was able to draw substantial votes across the 50 states is not something I will disregard even though I would hate to see her in politics again.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.7  TᵢG  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.4.5    4 years ago
Because I think almost any poltiician with a D after thier name would have outperformed Clinton.

I do not.   The current front-runner, Sanders, I think would crash and burn in the general.   Clinton was a weak candidate, no doubt, but there are plenty who would do worse.    One can speculate what some might bring as VP, but we have solid metrics on what Clinton actually did – and at the top of the ticket.    I would imagine that a VP candidate who is seen to bring her voters to the ticket would be seriously considered.

∴  I can see why Bloomberg would consider Clinton in spite of who she is.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.9  TᵢG  replied to    4 years ago

Logically that should be the case until you factor in the short memories of the electorate.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.12  TᵢG  replied to    4 years ago
FFS, I specifically addressed it, without California trump won the popular vote by over 1.3 million.   

And I acknowledged that and pointed to the fact that Clinton garnered substantial votes in other states.  I gave Florida as an example.   

What about this are you having difficulty with?

Why turn to snark?   I agreed with you on CA, you ignore my point on FL and then return with an attitude.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.13  TᵢG  replied to    4 years ago

That can be done for any candidate.    Imagine if the media were to go into a constant loop on some of Trump's stuff.    I doubt that her poor loser clips would get much traction nowadays, it is old, tired news and she would not be the head of the ticket.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.4.14  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TᵢG @5.4.7    4 years ago
Because I think almost any poltiician with a D after thier name would have outperformed Clinton.

She made two critical mistakes that lost her the election. The first was her using the term "Deplorables" and the second was not going to the battleground states. Those are the very same states she lost by a narrow margin and they went to Trump. 

As for running again... that would be madness. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.4.17  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.4.14    4 years ago
The first was her using the term "Deplorables"

You know what? The people she was referring to were deplorable. 

The country just refused to face that fact and the media turned against her for it. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.4.18  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @5.4.13    4 years ago
Imagine if the media were to go into a constant loop on some of Trump's stuff. 

No kidding? 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.19  TᵢG  replied to    4 years ago
Do you think she will bring in 1 more vote than the democrat without her?

Yes.  That is what I am saying.

Clinton's delivery of votes is an undisputed fact.   One can ignore that fact and focus on her negatives.   I choose to recognize her negatives AND note the fact that at the top of the ticket she won 65,853,514 votes nationwide.   And all of her negatives other than sore loser were all well known.

And again, I am not supporting Clinton for VP.   I would hate to see Bloomberg choose her.    I am pointing out why I can see Bloomberg seriously considering her (in spite of her negatives).

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.20  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @5.4.18    4 years ago
No kidding? 

I do not know how to interpret this.   I could understand "No kidding!" because that would be basically stating that there is plenty of bad on Trump that the media could pound on.

But what does that comment mean as a question?    Could you rephrase?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.21  TᵢG  replied to    4 years ago

Yes there are plenty of more admirable individuals than Clinton, no question about it.   

Thing is, nobody knows what other candidates might net out.   Clinton has a lot of personal negatives contrasted with a ton of votes for PotUS.   That nets out to some value.   I think that value net is high.

We need to see the other candidates now to make a comparison.   Warren, for example, I suspect would be net negative (far less value than Clinton).   Sander would net less than Clinton too, IMO.   Buttigieg is an interesting prospect.   His ability to bring in votes is suspect and untested, but he offers plenty of good personal qualities.  Klobuchar is interesting given her gender and a recent sign of life in her campaign.  But, again, how many votes she might add to Bloomberg is currently unknown.

Ultimately Bloomberg will make an objective business decision.   That kind of thinking sometimes results in a choice that seems wrong on the surface but is correct in terms of the underlying metrics.   I will equate this to the use of machine-learning and analytics in modern baseball where we see players leaving massive gaps in the infield based on complex analysis of the current batter's placement under specific circumstances.   It is not intuitive, but it works.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.23  TᵢG  replied to    4 years ago

Okay by me.   

But the way to do an IMPASSE nowadays (see the CoC ) is to click on the avatar of the comment and select the IMPASSE option.   But the person you are IMPASSing must have the last word.   Thus, with this comment from me, you can now click on the avatar and select IMPASSE.   The system will then implement the NT IMPASSE rules.

Also, IMPASSE was intended as a mechanism for stopping a heated exchange that was going out of control.   It is not used to try to silence another person, etc.   So, in this case, since we were simply disagreeing, the NT policy is to simply stop responding or make a comment such as:  ' okay, agree to disagree, moving on ' or something like that.

And I am just offering an FYI here because I have special knowledge of this.   Nothing more.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.4.24  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @5.4.23    4 years ago
Also, IMPASSE was intended as a mechanism for stopping a heated exchange that was going out of control.   It is not used to try to silence another person, etc. 

How many times have we seen it used when someone backs themselves into a corner and is losing an argument? Kind of like an escape route.  [deleted]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.25  TᵢG  replied to  Gordy327 @5.4.24    4 years ago

Absolutely, but that is in fact a violation of the impasse rule.   So a mod could actually ticket for that.   ( They usually do not;  probably because that is rarely flagged. )

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.4.26  igknorantzrulz  replied to  TᵢG @5.4.23    4 years ago

too funny

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.4.27  Tacos!  replied to  Gordy327 @5.4.24    4 years ago
How many times have we seen it used when someone backs themselves into a corner and is losing an argument? Kind of like an escape route.  I'm sure we can think of certain individuals like that.

In my opinion, it is out of line to attack people for using a basic feature of the site, just as it should always be wrong to assume the worst in people for exercising their rights.   It's quite a sanctimonious and arrogant point of view to assume that just because someone declares an impasse against you that you are in the right.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.28  TᵢG  replied to  Tacos! @5.4.27    4 years ago

Where did Gordy state that simply using IMPASSE necessarily means the issuing member is in the wrong?    He was speaking of times when, in his opinion, that has occurred (I can think of examples too ... probably aligned with his) not that it is always the case.   He did not claim that every use of IMPASSE is to escape a losing argument.   

Also, Gordy's comment was general while yours went personal.   Or did you not mean to deem his to be a sanctimonious and arrogant point of view?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.4.29  Gordy327  replied to  Tacos! @5.4.27    4 years ago

I never said I was in the right. But using the impasse feature to escape an argument  (which is not the intended function) because one cannot or will not formulate a counter argument or address challenges made either shows an inherent weakness in their argument or just a degree of intellectual cowardice. It's an attempt to escape a discussion rather than putting the brakes on a heated or out of control argument. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.4.30  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @5.4.25    4 years ago

Indeed. Also, many people probably do not realize a misuse of Impasse is in effect either. Once it's declared, it tends to be let go with no further discussion or challenge.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.31  TᵢG  replied to  Gordy327 @5.4.30    4 years ago

People apparently do not understand IMPASSE.    Per the CoC :

Impasse

An impasse may be issued in a thread during a heated discussion.  Issuing an impasse ends all discussion between the issuing member and the target member within the thread.   (For example, issuing an impasse for comment ‘2.5.2’ applies to all comments starting with ‘2.5’ between the two members).   To issue an impasse, the issuing member clicks on the user’s avatar for the target member’s offending comment and selects Impasse.   Both the issuing and target members will now see IMPASSE in place of the REPLY function. Impasses that are written out will not be honored. 

Note :  you cannot issue an Impasse if you have had the last word.   You can only Impasse on a comment that follows your last comment in the thread.   Also, you cannot impasse in a thread unless you created the thread or have commented within the thread.

Abuse of impasse to not engage with specific individuals may result in a ticket.    [updated on 3/8/19 by ph]

The idea behind IMPASSE is to cease a slap-fest or otherwise abusive behavior, not to try to block other individuals due simply to disagreement or out of spite.   That is abuse of IMPASSE.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.4.33  Gordy327  replied to    4 years ago

That would qualify as an abuse of the Impasse.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.34  TᵢG  replied to    4 years ago

That is a perfect example of skirting the CoC loki.   

That is NOT the case in this instance, ...

You make an obvious personal attack and then with words think you can just claim that is not what you meant??    

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.35  TᵢG  replied to  Gordy327 @5.4.33    4 years ago

It would, but loki did not issue a legit IMPASSE.   The IMPASSE with words is no longer valid on NT.   The mods do not recognize it now that the system implements the rules.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.4.36  igknorantzrulz  replied to  TᵢG @5.4.34    4 years ago

again, too funny watching the initiator of the proclaimed impasse ,  simultaneously pathetically violating said impasse.

What does this impasse for, except more right winged delusion...?

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.4.37  bugsy  replied to  Gordy327 @5.4.33    4 years ago

Only if the proper steps were taken that were listed above,

Before I knew about the new directions, instead of just typing "impasse", I typed the word and was told of the new directions by a mod. Because I never did the steps, the person I was debating with continued to post on me. I ignored the posts. No mod came out and declared an abuse of impasse.

Loki did nothing wrong.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.4.38  igknorantzrulz  replied to  bugsy @5.4.37    4 years ago

Loki did nothing wrong.

nor right, apparently.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.39  TᵢG  replied to  bugsy @5.4.37    4 years ago
Loki did nothing wrong.

Other than, as you noted, used an obsolete method for calling an IMPASSE.   Also, as I noted, in this example IMPASSE was not appropriate because we were not having a heated discussion.   Disagreement ≠ heated.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.42  TᵢG  replied to    4 years ago
I purposely said it wasn’t because of you and meant no ill will

I know.   I pointed that out.   Fact remains, if one makes an obvious skirting slam and then declares 'but that really is not about you' that is not going to pass the smell test.   Why you even bother to try to defend it is odd.

Context matters loki.   You went personal and your comment points directly to our 'discussion'.   The mods (and the members) are not stupid.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.44  TᵢG  replied to    4 years ago
So mr know it all ... you aren’t worth

See, of course you are not trying to be insulting or trying to make things personal.   

how in safari do I do a legit impasse 

You cannot IMPASSE if you have had the last word.   So now that I have made this comment, you can impasse.   Don't REPLY or POST, just issue the IMPASSE.

By the way, if you do issue an IMPASSE under these circumstances you are abusing the IMPASSE function.   If you do not want to engage a person then simply leave the building.   If that person keeps REPLYing to you, then that would be one example of when to use IMPASSE.   The main example is if you are in a slap-fest with someone and see no way to end it.   Then you do the IMPASSE.

In short, I am not going to REPLY to you unless you give me a reason to do so.   So if I am not worth your time then just leave and we are done.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.4.45  igknorantzrulz  replied to    4 years ago
The only person thinking so is you.

so you must ask 'stupid' members how to...

too funny yet again

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.48  TᵢG  replied to    4 years ago
Come on TG per your instructions how do you claim impasse in Safari? Other than writing it?

Loki, I have answered your question three times:    @5.4.23    @5.4.31   @5.4.44

If you are not going to read my answers then ask someone else.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.4.49  sandy-2021492  replied to    4 years ago

You can't access the function if you've made a comment after TiG's last comment.  That enforces the "no calling impasse after getting in a last word" condition.  So, if you click on my avatar in this comment, you should be able to select "impasse" from the dropdown menu.  That would issue an impasse against me (just using myself as an example).

The function should be used only to end a slap fight, but it should show as available to you at this point.  It would be an improper use of the function, however.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.4.50  igknorantzrulz  replied to    4 years ago

i spell IT, IDIOT, and am the last person you would want technical advice from, but the one you seem intent on belittling, is the individual who actually implants programs such as impasse for this site.

Try lightning up with the graveling thunder and just taking his advice, and you will come out much further ahead without embarrassing yourself.

TiG is here to help ones like you and eye, try to see this.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.4.51  Split Personality  replied to    4 years ago

Well, let me say, that if your are using Safari on your Iphone to access Newstalkers, it might explain some of your crankiness and all of the profanity laced comments which I can't begin to imagine, all the extra typing on an iphone, really?

However I did try it on my Verizon Iphone and as predicted, according to the rules, MUVA is the only person I could call Impasse with,

( on the prescription experation date article )

using his, OH so incredibly tiny, tiny icon, and yes the choices were

Friend

Impasse

Ignore

Mark

in that order, so the system works.  If you can't see it, there are only two reasons I can imagine.

Operator error, or somethings wrong with the Iphone service provider.

jrSmiley_99_smiley_image.jpg

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.54  TᵢG  replied to    4 years ago
... the choice on iPhone is limited, not withstanding SP personal attack which will never get moderated, impasse doesn’t show up ...

Shows up on my iPhone under Safari.   My guess is user error.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.4.55  MrFrost  replied to    4 years ago

You could just type the word, "impase", and move on. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.4.56  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    4 years ago
Perrie, do you still wonder why conservatives and moderates leave when your moderators attack in purple? Or on a thread that they have moderated not just the article?

I don't see a violation in anything SP said. First Sandy gave you an explanation and then SP explained the obvious. It can only be two issues, the person using the site, or the device. And since it works on my iphone, you must not be doing something right. 

i can’t help it if the site coding is substandard.

And that was a cheap shot at a moderate/independent.... you know the ones you claim I am letting be chased off the site. Now enough meta. If you have further issues with impasse, contact me by PN.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.57  TᵢG  replied to  MrFrost @5.4.55    4 years ago

That is obsolete.   Mods no longer accept it.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.4.58  sandy-2021492  replied to  MrFrost @5.4.55    4 years ago

Written impasses are no longer enforced.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.4.60  igknorantzrulz  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.4.50    4 years ago

please do expand on how my stating i am an idiot, 

when it comes to      I T

a,\mounts to a coc, cause i don't dispute coc's, but this one, i must

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.4.61  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.4    4 years ago

Why are a string of 30 comments in a row, all of which are "meta", still up on the main forum? 

If I make one comment judged to be meta it always disappears within minutes, if not sooner.  What the heck is going on here? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.4.62  JohnRussell  replied to  MrFrost @5.4.55    4 years ago
You could just type the word, "impase", and move on. 

That appeared to be what he tried to do in the beginning. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.63  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @5.4.62    4 years ago

... and he was informed immediately that typing the word is an obsolete method, that the mods do not accept it and how to do it using the system.

You may have noticed that some people are not interested in actually getting an answer but are just here to argue for the sake of argument.   Ergo this series of comments.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.4.64  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.4.60    4 years ago

Iggy,

Please write to me about this in a PN. Thanks. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.4.65  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @5.4.63    4 years ago

The dude said "impasse". 

Why not just move on? 

Or you could have continued to comment on his points by directing your comments to the article in general instead of addressing them to him. I dont see what was gained by 30 meta comments in the middle of this seed. 

Ender
Professor Principal
5.4.69  Ender  replied to    4 years ago

I actually have to agree with you.   Gasp !   Haha

I only get the three as well. Plus it is lower and when I mouse over the three choices it disappears before I can take any action.

So I guess I don't have the option either.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.4.70  KDMichigan  replied to  Ender @5.4.69    4 years ago
I actually have to agree with you. 

Same here, I have tried to use impasse to see if it works and it doesn't come up. 

I would think if you respond to me the impasse option would be available?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.71  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @5.4.65    4 years ago
Why not just move on? 

Apparently you did not read my response because all I did was explain how IMPASSE works.   The stream is a result of subsequent trolling.   

Ender
Professor Principal
5.4.72  Ender  replied to  KDMichigan @5.4.70    4 years ago

I guess so, now I got it.

It still disappears when I put my mouse over it though.

So kind of useless for me.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.4.73  KDMichigan  replied to  Ender @5.4.72    4 years ago

Well kiss my grits. it worked this time.jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.4.74  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Ender @5.4.72    4 years ago
It still disappears when I put my mouse over it though.

move mouse over Trumpp lease

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.75  TᵢG  replied to  Ender @5.4.72    4 years ago

Nobody has reported this before Ender and I cannot recreate it.   

Be sure to not go outside of the menu box when you move to an item.   The box disappears when you leave it (a normal way in which pop-ups work).    If a menu item disappears if you have properly moved to it then contact me via private note and let me know your operating system, browser, machine and I will investigate.

Now, in general, IMPASSE was implemented in the system largely because the rules for IMPASSE (the rules of the site) are complicated (tricky).    Because of the complication, people were often issuing invalid impasses (typing IMPASSE in situations where it was not valid).

I have explained the rules, but here they are in scenario form:

• Amy (@1.1.5) writes a comment
  • Bob (@1.1.6) REPLYs to Amy
  • Amy (@1.1.7) REPLYs to Bob

Bob can now IMPASSE Amy.

To IMPASSE someone you must have been in an exchange (REPLYing to each other) in the same thread.   Plus, and crucially, the person you want to IMPASSE has to have REPLYied to you and currently have the last word.    In the above, Bob and Amy have replied to each other in the same thread and Amy currently has REPLYied to Bob and has the last word.    Bob can now IMPASSE Amy (on that comment).   Amy, however, has no IMPASSE option because she commented last.

Beyond the mechanics, IMPASSE is only to be used to stop a heated discussion.   Basically, the idea is that two people are going at each other (slap-fest or equivalent) and one person just decides to stop the carnage.   That person will let his/her interlocutor REPLY and then on that reply comment, will select the IMPASSE option.   At that point, neither person can REPLY to each other in that thread because their REPLY buttons will now be replaced with the word IMPASSE.

IMPASSE is not to be used to get out of a losing debate (or similar situation).   It is to stop a fight or stop someone from trolling you, not to shut down a debate interlocutor.

I have looked through this article and IMPASSE is appearing on my menu for every comment where it is valid for me.   If you think you have a situation where a valid IMPASSE is not appearing then send a private note and I will investigate.   What is taking place on this thread (by others, not you), however, is pure trolling and I advise against it.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.78  TᵢG  replied to  TᵢG @5.4.75    4 years ago

... to illustrate this, I have just IMPASSed Loki.   This is just for demonstration purposes.

Since he and I have replied to each other in this thread and he just now replied to me, he has had the last word.   I went to his avatar on comment @5.4.77 and selected IMPASSE.

Only Loki will see this, but every comment from me on this thread will show IMPASSE where the REPLY button normally appears.   Loki thus can no longer REPLY to any of my comments in this thread.

Similarly, each of Loki's comments show IMPASSE (to me) where REPLY normally would appear.   Thus I can no longer REPLY to any of his comments in this thread.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.4.79  igknorantzrulz  replied to  TᵢG @5.4.78    4 years ago

what took ya so long...?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.80  TᵢG  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.4.79    4 years ago

Being serious, I was using this thread to explain IMPASSE.   But, yes, using IMPASSE to end trolling is legit.   I do recommend that anyone who uses IMPASSE use it as a last resort.   It is not a weapon, it is a means to put a lid on out-of-hand aggression.

PJ
Masters Quiet
5.4.81  PJ  replied to  TᵢG @5.4.75    4 years ago

Can you impasse/ignore a moderator or RA?  

Ender
Professor Principal
5.4.82  Ender  replied to  TᵢG @5.4.75    4 years ago

I am still old school, using windows 7 on an old laptop.

I can click on someone and the options appear, several inches down. When I go to move to the little menu box it disappears.

Not a big deal really as I don't usually use those features.

It is probably just my old computer.

Edit: One time I did it really fast and tried to click an option, think I hit friend and it took it. So I am just thinking it is my system.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.83  TᵢG  replied to  PJ @5.4.81    4 years ago

Yes.   But make sure you are IMPASSing to cease a heated discussion.   When you see Perrie trolling you and being abusive then you certainly would be able to IMPASSE her in that thread.   Make sure she has the last word and on her last REPLY to you there will be an IMPASSE option.

Perrie gets IMPASSed all the time due to her highly aggressive and unreasonable nature so there are all sorts of people who can help you put a lid on this troublemaker.

Do I need a \sarc tag?

PJ
Masters Quiet
5.4.84  PJ  replied to  TᵢG @5.4.83    4 years ago

You're so funny........ 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

I think he'd be better off choosing Michelle Obama to be VP - at least she doesn't have the negative baggage that burdens Hillary.