╌>

Florida man charged with driving van into GOP voter tent said he dislikes Trump and had to 'take a stand,' police say

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kdmichigan  •  4 years ago  •  42 comments

By:   Dan Scanlan

Florida man charged with driving van into GOP voter tent said he dislikes Trump and had to 'take a stand,' police say
A Jacksonville, Florida, man jailed after allegedly crashing a minivan through a tent of Republican volunteers in a Walmart parking lot told investigators he does not like President Donald Trump and felt "someone had to take a stand," according to his arrest report.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A Jacksonville, Florida, man jailed after allegedly crashing a minivan through a tent of Republican volunteers in a Walmart parking lot told investigators he does not like President Donald Trump and felt "someone had to take a stand," according to his arrest report. 
Gregory William Loel Timm, 27,  was jailed on $500,000 bail on two counts of aggravated assault on a person 65 years old or older, plus criminal mischief and driving with a suspended license, jail records show.
Timm is accused of deliberately crashing his GMC Safari into a tent of Republican volunteers who were registering voters outside the Walmart on Saturday. No one was struck by the van.
In response to Timm's arrest, Trump issued a warning on Twitter: "Be careful tough guys who you play with!" 

Sen. Rick Scott, R-Fla., tweeted it was "a politically motivated attack." Local GOP leaders joined Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry on Monday to further condemn what happened.
"You should not have to fear physical injury or worse to express political beliefs in America," said GOP Duval County Chairman Dean Black. "Nowhere in our country, nowhere in our city should anyone fear for their physical health because of their political views and their political activities." 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1  seeder  KDMichigan    4 years ago

Just another TDS sufferer, Not shocking I never seen this on the news. 

Definitely sporting that lost in space proglib look...

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2  Ender  replied to  KDMichigan @1    4 years ago

Don't know where some are looking but I have seen it reported.

First time I have seen a pic though.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Ender @1.2    4 years ago
Don't know where some are looking but I have seen it reported.

In the first days after this story broke, only one of the 3 major TV stations - ABC, CBS, NBC - which are all left-wing, gave it a whopping 25 seconds of attention. The other two gave it zero. To its credit, FNC provided a lot of info and details.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.2  devangelical  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.2.1    4 years ago

meh, with all the blue-hairs in florida mowing down crowds with their caddies on a semi-regular basis, I'm surprised the story got any national attention.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.3  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Ender @1.2    4 years ago
First time I have seen a pic though.

Exactly. The Virginia terrorism that never happened got way more press.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  KDMichigan @1    4 years ago

Trump supporters have also committed acts of violence or attempted violence.

Cesar Sayoc mailed 16 homemade pipe bombs to prominent critics of Trump across the country.  Luckily none of them detonated.

A man  placed Scott Eisen, a photojournalist, in a choke-hold and punched him in the face while shouting: “Fake news! Trump 2020!” 

Morris May pepper-sprayed the face of a demonstrator preparing for a “Stand Against Hate” rally in Asbury Park, New Jersey.  He was wearing a shirt referencing Trump’s “Make America Great Again” slogan.

Michael Hari and two co-conspirators allegedly bombed a mosque in Bloomington, Minnesota.  No one was injured. A person who knew Hari told the Intercept that Trump’s rhetoric had “flipped that switch” in Hari and persuaded him to act. 

Dennis Mothersbaugh sucker-punched two demonstrators who were protesting against a far-right rally in Charlottesville.  After he was arrested, Mothersbaugh appeared in court wearing a “God, Guns & Trump” shirt.

Alex Ramos and five other men beat a black man at a parking garage during a far-right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.  He punched and kicked the man while wearing his red Make America Great Again baseball cap. Their victim, DeAndre Harris, sustained a broken wrist and a head wound. 

LouisTravieso attacked two men and a woman in Washington DC, after one of them made a comment about his red Make America Great Again baseball cap and said they had a problem with his politics.

Kyle Chapman hit counter-demonstrators over the head with a wooden baton during a “March 4 Trump” rally in Berkeley, California.
Brandon Davis knocked a gay man off of his bike by ramming his scooter into him in Key West, Florida.  He used homophobic slurs, told the man and his partner "You're in Trump country now."   
Robin Rhodes assaulted  a Muslim woman at John F Kennedy airport and told her: “Trump is here now. He will get rid of all of you.” 
Jacob Holtzlander punched a taxi driver while shouting “Trump!” following a dispute over a fare in Grand Rapids, Michigan.  The taxi driver was from Ethiopia and suffered facial injuries.
There are other incidents, but I don't want to take up a lot of room.  On top of the physical violence by Trump supporters, there have been numerous death threats to numerous Democrats, their families, religious organizations, and news outlets.
Trump himself has encouraged violence against non supporters and offered to pay the legal fees for those who carry it out.

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.3.2  squiggy  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.3    4 years ago
Trump supporters have also

Only two hours.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.3.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  squiggy @1.3.2    4 years ago

What does only two hours mean?

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.3.4  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.3    4 years ago

I'm willing to bet it wasn't hard to look that up. Thanks for proving my point. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.3.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  KDMichigan @1.3.4    4 years ago

Facts don't have to be hard to find or take long to look up.  You are just po'd that I pointed out some of the violence committed in the name of your false prophet.  I think the violence from BOTH sides is abhorrent.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.3.6  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.3.5    4 years ago
You are just po'd

What is it with you lefties always telling someone what they think. I am not like you, I don't need someone to tell me what I think.

name of your false prophet

False prophet? again what are you babbling about, I worship no man or thing. 

I think the violence from BOTH sides is abhorrent.

The only worthwhile part of your comment.

I never claimed that Trump supporters didn't commit acts of violence, I stated that when the it is done by the left it is downplayed by the press where as if it is a Trump supporter it is the end of the world.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.4  Tacos!  replied to  KDMichigan @1    4 years ago
Just another TDS sufferer

Haven't you heard? TDS isn't real. /s jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  Vic Eldred    4 years ago

I vote this one as the most under reported story of the year

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
2.2  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    4 years ago

It goes without saying that if this was a right-wing nutjob that drove thru DNC volunteers it would have been front and center for a week. 

It is odd that the video he made of himself committing the crime is nowhere to be seen now. I swear I seen some of his footage.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  KDMichigan @2.2    4 years ago

We have pictures of it posted on seeds & articles for the rest of the year. It would dominate the news. We would have calls for the President to denounce it over and over! 

It is odd that the video he made of himself committing the crime is nowhere to be seen now.

No we wouldn't want the country to see that/Sar

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
2.2.2  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.1    4 years ago

Then you have another TDS sufferer attacking teenage boys in New Hampshire...

Patrick Bradley, who's 34, had exited the voting polls outside of Windham High School in Windham, New Hampshire, and walked by a Trump "campaign tent occupied by several campaign supporters/workers," the Windham Police Department said in a statement Thursday.
He then allegedly assaulted the teenager and two adults who attempted to intervene. CNN has not identified or been in contact with the alleged victims.
"Bradley was also accused of throwing Trump campaign signs and attempting to knock over the aforementioned tent," the statement says.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  KDMichigan @2.2    4 years ago

The bottom line.  If it had been reversed it would have been the story for weeks.  Thank God for Fox News Channel because w/o them few would even know this happened 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.3  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    4 years ago
I vote this one as the most under reported story of the year

It doesn't fit the left-wing media's propaganda that "Trumpsters" are the violent ones, so they all basically ignored it.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    4 years ago

Here’s a bunch more of the same:  

Startling threats and violence against GOP voters: Part of a pattern?

Brooke Singman3 hours ago

A startling rash of threats and violent incidents targeting Republican voters in recent weeks is raising concerns about the increasingly toxic political climate, just as the 2020 presidential primaries are getting started.

The incidents began earlier this month when a Florida man, Gregory Timm, 27, allegedly rammed his van into a Republican Party voter registration tent. According to reports, Timm ran over chairs and tables, and witnesses said he recorded the scene moments after the incident, made an obscene gesture and sped off.

FLORIDA MAN ACCUSED OF DRIVING VAN INTO TRUMP SUPPORTER'S TENT 

Timm has been charged with two counts of aggravated assault on a person 65 years old or older, one count of criminal mischief and driving with a suspended license. An arrest report said Timm told deputies he did not like President Trump and “someone had to take a stand.”

Days later, in Windham, N.H., amid the state’s first-in-the-nation primary last Tuesday, a man allegedly assaulted a 15-year-old Trump supporter and two adults who had been volunteering at a polling site, Fox News first reported.

The New Hampshire man, Patrick Bradley, 34, was charged with simple assault and disorderly conduct after allegedly getting in the face of the teenage boy, Nate Campbell, who was wearing a red “Make America Great Again” hat, and slapping him across the face. He also is said to have assaulted two other adults who attempted to intervene.

NEW HAMPSHIRE MAN ARRESTED AFTER ALLEGEDLY ASSAULTING PRO-TRUMP TEEN AT POLLING SITE

Police arrested Bradley days after the incident. He was also accused of throwing Trump campaign signs and attempting to knock over the Trump campaign tent set up at the Windham High School polling site.

Campbell's mother, Cathy Campbell, in an exclusive interview with Fox News last week, said "it's scary that you can't express which political party you are. People need to know how much intolerance there is right now."

"I was apprehensive about him wearing the MAGA hat, because we know it can provoke and we know people don’t like Trump,” she explained. “But he wore the hat because he’s a proud 15-year-old and he doesn’t know what people are going to be like.”

She added: "It sickens me that people would be angry at a kid for wearing a stupid hat."

The president’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., spoke out last week after the incident in New Hampshire, accusing the mainstream media of not calling out the violence against Trump supporters and Republicans.

“So a leftist attacks 3 Trump supporters, including a 15-year-old child, in NH this week,” Trump Jr. tweeted Thursday. “Last week a deranged leftist attempted to run over a group of Trump supporters with a car in FL. What will it take for the MSM to finally call out leftwing violence?”  Also, over the weekend, protesters at the University of California at Santa Cruz smashed a College Republicans information table.

According to reports, and a video posted on social media, two protesters tore up placards and ripped down signage—with one of them appearing to spit on a 13-star “Betsy Ross” American flag that is seen on the ground.

PROTESTERS WRECK COLLEGE REPUBLICANS' INFO TABLE, SPIT ON US FLAG AT UC SANTA CRUZ, VIDEO SHOWS

“I think this guy’s trying to assault me,” one protester is heard saying in the video, laughing, as someone tries to grab an American flag away from him. The man attempting to take back the flag later in the video falls to the ground during the struggle.

“Get a life!” those fighting off the protesters say at one point.

The video starts when the incident is already underway, so it’s not clear exactly how it began. But Dylan Temple, president of the College Republicans chapter at UC Santa Cruz, told The Post Millennial it began when one of the protesters grabbed one of the group’s flags.

Temple said he immediately reported the matter to campus police. Subsequent posts on social media gave a name for one of the protesters, but it was unclear if that person was charged with any crimes.

Meanwhile, police at Arizona State University said that they were investigating a video that showed an individual shouting violent threats at a group of pro-Trump students on campus. The video, posted by Students for Trump at Arizona State University on Feb. 5, shows an individual at ASU's Tempe campus repeatedly shouting at a group of conservative students, saying: "Slash Republicans' throats."

Also, last week, retired New York City police officer Daniel Sprague said he got punched in the face at a Tennessee bar, all because he was wearing a birthday hat and a shirt with Trump-like slogans. The man was wearing a hat that said “Make Fifty Great Again” and a shirt that said “Making America Great since 1970.” "At one point," Sprague said, "a female came up from behind me, spun me around, and punched me in the face and then grabbed my hat off my head and was just yelling, 'How dare you?'"

He told the station he believes the woman was wearing a ring or had a set of keys in her hands when she lunged at him because the wound was "pretty deep and it goes to the bone."

"People have different views, but we're not supposed to take it out on each other," Sprague said.

Meanwhile, last month a Florida man was sentenced to 90 days in jail and one year of supervised probation after slapping the bill of a man’s “Make America Great Again” hat before telling the man to “go back to Russia you f--- communist” and spitting on him, investigators said.

Fox News' Dom Calicchio, Matt London and Vandana Rambaran contributed to this report. 

Brooke Singman is a Politics Reporter for Fox News. Follow her on Twitter at @BrookeSingman.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.4.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.4    4 years ago

What a vicious lot!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.4.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.4.1    4 years ago

[Deleted.  Use the flagging function.]

squiggy
Junior Silent
3  squiggy    4 years ago

Republican volunteers who were registering voters...

I don't think this is how Motor Voters works.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4  TᵢG    4 years ago

Too many crazed people running around.  

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  TᵢG @4    4 years ago

Agreed. And it is not confined one particular ideology.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.1    4 years ago

True.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

Lock him up.

And yes, I did see this reported soon after it happened.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1  Split Personality  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5    4 years ago

The idiot tried to tape it, showed the police but apparently jerked the phone away went he hit the tent leg.

The tape is in evidence against his sorry ass, lol.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.1.1  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Split Personality @5.1    4 years ago

I did try to look up his video again, I came up with this. Way more cooler, I'm guessing Lake Superior.

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.1.2  charger 383  replied to  KDMichigan @5.1.1    4 years ago

In that video Nobody got hurt and ore freighter is way cooler than a minivan

bccrane
Freshman Silent
5.1.3  bccrane  replied to  KDMichigan @5.1.1    4 years ago

That couldn't have been from this year, there is very little ice on the great lakes this year, there were ships passing Tawas in the middle of January here on lake Huron and perchville you needed a boat last week.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.1.4  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  bccrane @5.1.3    4 years ago
That couldn't have been from this year,

Defiantly, not even if it was lake Superior.

there is very little ice on the great lakes this year,

17% I heard, Then even with the open lakes the snowbelt I live around has been lacking.

there were ships passing Tawas in the middle of January here on lake Huron and perchville you needed a boat last week.

My brother has been slaying the Walley's in his boat.

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1.5  evilone  replied to  KDMichigan @5.1.4    4 years ago
Defiantly, not even if it was lake Superior.

I think the Sioux Locks are closed and there are ice houses everywhere, but there really isn't anywhere near as much ice as last year. I haven't noticed the Icebreaker moving from the Duluth port since before Christmas either.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.1.6  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  evilone @5.1.5    4 years ago
I think the Sioux Locks are closed

They close every winter for maintenance. 

The winter forecast predictions fell flat on there face. I'm not one much to believe in Michigan weather forecasts. I put more stock in the wooly caterpillar.

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1.7  evilone  replied to  KDMichigan @5.1.6    4 years ago

It's been too long since I've been up there. 

On March 25th at 12:01 a.m., the Soo Locks opens for the season.

If it wasn't a full day's drive (one way) I'd seriously think about attending the opening.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.1.8  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  evilone @5.1.7    4 years ago

I can be at freighters restaurant in a couple hour drinking a cocktail. I'll hold a table for ya. 

user image
Freshman Silent
6      4 years ago

They love Trump down in Florida. I was really not surprised when he won that state in the elections. I was in Ft. Lauderdale during full election season and there was Trump shirts and stands all over the place.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7  Tessylo    4 years ago

Not surprised.  A lot of white trash there.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @7    4 years ago

And most of it moved there from New York