╌>

Trump, Melania rev up Daytona 500 ahead of race

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  donald-j-trump-fan-1  •  4 years ago  •  53 comments

By:   Stephen Sorace

Trump, Melania rev up Daytona 500 ahead of race
Trump and first lady Melania Trump will make their historic trip in the 22,000-pound vehicle around Florida’s Daytona International Speedway ahead of the race, Fox News chief White House correspondent John Roberts reported. TRUMP NAMED DAYTONA 500 GRAND MARSHAL, WILL GIVE 'START YOUR ENGINES' COMMAND Trump, who was already tapped to be the second-ever sitting president to act as grand marshal in the Great American Race, will deliver the iconic “start your engines” command to the 40 drivers...

It’s great to see our great American President at this great American event.  Ones heart swells with patriotism with the flyover, the President there and the lap by the presidential limo the Beast.  The people loved it.  His tribute to God, Family, and country was special as well.  A great day for our exceptional nation.  🗽🇺🇸

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

image.jpg?ve=1&tl=1 President Trump  revved up  NASCAR’s Daytona 500  on Sunday as the grand marshal, becoming the second-ever president to deliver the Great American Race's iconic command, "Gentlemen, start your engines!" and the first of any president to take a lap in the armored presidential limo, dubbed "The Beast."

Trump and first lady Melania Trump addressed the 100,000-seat racetrack at  Florida’s  Daytona International Speedway ahead of the race he called "pure American glory."

“The Daytona 500 is the legendary display of roaring engines, soaring spirits and the American skill, speed and power that we’ve been hearing about for so many years,” Trump told the crowd before the race began.

He called the tens of thousands of fans present at the racetrack "patriots," adding that "NASCAR fans never forget that no matter who wins the race, what matters most is God, family and country."

In an interview from the track, Trump told Fox Sports that while he's not able to drive his own car as president, he was tempted to get behind the wheel of one of the race cars.

"Right now, if I can, I'm gonna hop into one of these cars and I'm gonna get into this race, if possible," he joked.

daytona-500-track3.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

The motorcade with President Trump makes its way through Turn 1 after arriving at Daytona International Airport before the NASCAR Daytona 500 auto race at Daytona International Speedway on Sunday, in Daytona Beach, Fla. (AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack)

Trump and Melania took a lap in the heavily armored presidential limo, dubbed "The Beast," after delivering the command for racers to start their engines. The lap in the 22,000-pound, Cadillac-branded limousine around the speedway marked a historic first for any president.

Trump is only the second sitting president to attend the 500, behind President George W. Bush who issued the famous command in 2004, the year Dale Earnhardt Jr. won his first 500. Earnhardt was on hand Sunday and waved the green flag as honorary starter.

His appearance follows in the footsteps of former  President Ronald Reagan , who in 1984 became the first sitting president to attend a NASCAR race at the speedway when he started the Firecracker 400, giving the command, “Gentlemen, start your engines!” from aboard Air Force One.

Daytona-500-Reagan.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

President Ronald Reagan congratulates stock car driver Richard Petty, who won the Firecracker 400 race at the Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Fla., in 1984. (AP Photo/Ira Schwarz, File)

It was at that race that Richard Petty captured his historic 200th victory. Reagan watched until the end, even doing a few laps of radio play-by-play during the race before he congratulated Petty and ate chicken with drivers, crew members, NASCAR employees and their families in the garage area.

Daytona-500-George-W.-Bush.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

President George W. Bush greeted drivers in the pit at Daytona 500 NASCAR race in Daytona Beach, Fla., in 2004.  (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais, File)

Former President George H.W. Bush also visited the track at Daytona, but not during the 500 race.

Democrat  Bill Clinton  attended a NASCAR race as a presidential candidate in September 1992, but many fans at the Southern 500 in Darlington,  S.C ., booed and heckled him over the question of his lack of Vietnam-era military service that stalked his campaign.

President Barack Obama’s  initial presidential campaign was presented with the opportunity to sponsor a car in a NASCAR race, but eventually declined that chance. However, Obama routinely invited the winners of the NASCAR Cup Series championship to the White House, a tradition Trump has continued.

Trump, who was endorsed in 2016 by former NASCAR CEO Brian France Jr., has hosted series champions Joey Logano and Martin Truex Jr. at The White House and gave NASCAR team owner Roger Penske the Presidential Medal of Freedom last year.

The Daytona 500 is set to start at 2:30 p.m. ET on the FOX broadcast channel. Drivers will battle through 200 laps around the speedway in the 500-mile stock car race for a chance to lift the champion’s trophy on Victory Lane.

About 100,000 people are expected to attend this year's race and millions more will watch on television. About 9 million people took in last year's race on television.

Fox News' John Roberts and Gary Gastelu and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

Trump and first lady Melania Trump addressed the 100,000-seat racetrack at  Florida’s  Daytona International Speedway ahead of the race he called "pure American glory."

TRUMP NAMED DAYTONA 500 GRAND MARSHAL, WILL GIVE 'START YOUR ENGINES' COMMAND

“The Daytona 500 is the legendary display of roaring engines, soaring spirits and the American skill, speed and power that we’ve been hearing about for so many years,” Trump told the crowd before the race began.

He called the tens of thousands of fans present at the racetrack "patriots," adding that "NASCAR fans never forget that no matter who wins the race, what matters most is God, family and country."

In an interview from the track, Trump told Fox Sports that while he's not able to drive his own car as president, he was tempted to get behind the wheel of one of the race cars.

"Right now, if I can, I'm gonna hop into one of these cars and I'm gonna get into this race, if possible," he joked.

daytona-500-track3.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

The motorcade with President Trump makes its way through Turn 1 after arriving at Daytona International Airport before the NASCAR Daytona 500 auto race at Daytona International Speedway on Sunday, in Daytona Beach, Fla. (AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack)

Trump and Melania took a lap in the heavily armored presidential limo, dubbed "The Beast," after delivering the command for racers to start their engines. The lap in the 22,000-pound, Cadillac-branded limousine around the speedway marked a historic first for any president.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    4 years ago

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2  seeder  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2    4 years ago

devangelical
Professor Principal
3  devangelical    4 years ago

meh, I watch nascar to see the crashes. I was disappointed when the 11 ton chevy clone didn't roll coming out of a turn, fly apart, and then get hit by half the field that was trailing it.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @3    4 years ago
trump-daytona.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Trump and first lady Melania Trump were met with chants of "four more years" ahead of the National Anthem. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.1  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1    4 years ago
"four more years"

[Deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @3.1.1    4 years ago

Trump will win by a bigger EV margin in 2020 than he had in 2016.  Even if he loses the popular vote by more than then. The democrat will win NY, Mass, Illinois, and Californication by bigger margins than then but Trump will win NH, Minn, NM in addition to all he won in 2016

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.3  bugsy  replied to  devangelical @3.1.1    4 years ago

[Deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.4  bugsy  replied to  bugsy @3.1.3    4 years ago

[Deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.5  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  bugsy @3.1.3    4 years ago

Great 👍 posts.  Well said.  Thanks for your support of my seed

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.6  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @3.1.1    4 years ago

>whew< - thanks sandy, I only got one ticket last month and I promised Perrie I'd try a lot harder this month.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.7  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @3.1.6    4 years ago

Talk about meta.  Take the love affair to someone who cares somewhere else besides my seeds

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.8  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.7    4 years ago

so flag it, like the other comments...

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.9  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @3.1.8    4 years ago

I haven’t flagged anything here....

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  devangelical @3    4 years ago

I went to the first Long Beach Grand Prix in the hopes that Andretti would wipe out.  He once really hurt the feelings of my niece when she was around 5 who thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread.  He was her idol and she cried for two days.  Trump showing up at this was little more than campaign stumping.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.2    4 years ago

Reagan and Bush 43 have been there for a race as President.  Bush 43 was also the grand marshal of the race in 2004.  The Air Force One low flyover and the Beast around the track were firsts.  It was great just before our national anthem to hear resounding loud chants of four more years! 

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.2  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.2.1    4 years ago
resounding loud chants of four more years

sorry, but I doubt that will compare to the chants of 20 or more years when he's sentenced by a federal judge after this term.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @3.2.2    4 years ago

First of all, Trump is going to win re election.  Secondly, there is no chance that they are going to go after a retired President with criminal charges.  That is banana republic 💩 🕳 country behavior.  None the less knowing how progressives act and after the impeachment charade, it would be prudent to have a US Attorney ready and a federal court with charges ready against Obama for his role in Russia gate for insurance just in case.  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.2.4  Split Personality  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.2.3    4 years ago
That is banana republic 💩 🕳 country behavior.

Many people already give that credit to Trump, Sessions and Barr.  Let's investigate the investigators ad nauseum.  Fire any Cabinet members that won't toe the line.

None the less knowing how progressives act and after the impeachment charade, it would be prudent to have a US Attorney ready and a federal court with charges ready against Obama for his role in Russia gate for insurance just in case.  

And right there you prove the point.  Well done.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.2.5  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.2    4 years ago
n campaign stumping.

with everyone turning left...? 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.6  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Split Personality @3.2.4    4 years ago
1,149 people are talking about this

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.7  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.2.6    4 years ago

. @realDonaldTrump just got on the radio from the Beast and said:

"Drivers, this is President Trump and it was an honor to open the Daytona 500, have a phenomenal day, have a great race, be safe, God Bless you, we love you."

THIS IS EPIC #DAYTONA500

FczXIWiFI7AwORxp?format=jpg&name=small
1,837 people are talking about this

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2.8  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.2.1    4 years ago

These events are the life blood of politicians during an election year.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @3    4 years ago

You are really death wishing the President and his wife as well as secret service agents and race car drivers caught up in such carnage.  I should report your post to the secret service and see what they think of it. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.3.1  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.3    4 years ago

bwah ha ha, go for it.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.3.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @3.3.1    4 years ago

ok.  I think I just might do that

Veronica
Professor Guide
4  Veronica    4 years ago

Yep & by the time they got his fat ass out of the track it was raining.  Rain DELAY!!!!!

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1  devangelical  replied to  Veronica @4    4 years ago

god's will. don't hold your breath waiting for some thumpers to connect those 2 side by side dots.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @4.1    4 years ago

Just ridiculous.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.1    4 years ago

Go easy.

After all, I think that is the very best they can muster up.

Go easy on them.

It's been a really, really hard 3+ years for them, and might be even longer.

We should be more compassionate and tolerate the whining and crying!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.2    4 years ago

You may be right.  We should be compassionate and let them be their crying snowflake ❄️❄️selves. Poor little liberals...Jan 20, 2025 will arrive for you someday...in the meantime it’s Trumps America!  

Veronica
Professor Guide
4.1.4  Veronica  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.3    4 years ago
it’s Trumps America!

I thought it was OUR America?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.5  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Veronica @4.1.4    4 years ago

It is our America and we Americans choose Trump to represent us as our President until Jan. 20, 2025.  

squiggy
Junior Silent
4.1.6  squiggy  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.3    4 years ago

By then, Haley's Comet will spread more crystals.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.7  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  squiggy @4.1.6    4 years ago

By the time that comet comes back Baron will be President!  

squiggy
Junior Silent
4.1.8  squiggy  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.7    4 years ago

Read Nikki.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.9  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  squiggy @4.1.8    4 years ago

Nikki will be President from Jan 20, 2025 to Jan 20, 2033.  Baron was for 2060.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Veronica @4    4 years ago

And finally, Trump’s team put together a killer video of the day…

So inspiring and inspirational.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.2.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2    4 years ago

gag me with a spoon

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  igknorantzrulz @4.2.1    4 years ago

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  igknorantzrulz @4.2.1    4 years ago

Are you giving us permission?  

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.2.4  igknorantzrulz  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.3    4 years ago

Are you giving us permission?  

well, not that i would ever swing that way,
but your little joint ain't ever gonna gag anyone

so stick with attempting to gag me a spoon, and you'll find i'll spit out a mangled spork, as i don't swallow   the same Kool Aid asz U

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.5  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  igknorantzrulz @4.2.4    4 years ago

I don’t consume kool Aid at all as you say you do.  To reference another TV show :  “up your nose with a rubber hose!”

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.2.6  igknorantzrulz  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.5    4 years ago

Is that a Whore shack reference for Donald ?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5  MrFrost    4 years ago

I thought it was classy as hell for Fox News to cut to commercial during trumps lap to air a commercial by Mike Bloomberg. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @5    4 years ago

Fortunately it was Fox Broadcasting Network that was actually covering the event.  Fox News was just there to tell it’s viewers the news of it happening.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6  seeder  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

NASCAR star Hailie Deegan poses with Trumps ahead of Daytona 500: 'Goal complete'

Mike Arroyo6 hours ago
image.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Hailie Deegan, the 18-year-old driver deemed "NASCAR's Next Big Superstar," posed for a photo she'll likely remember for the rest of her life, standing next to President Trump and first lady Melania Trump at the Daytona 500 on Sunday.

Deegan and the Trumps were all smiles ahead of the race in Florida. The driver posted the photo to Twitter, adding, "Goal complete," with a check mark.

Earlier Sunday, she tweeted: "Today’s goal. Get my helmet signed by Trump."  That earlier tweet got the attention of Donald Trump Jr., who responded: "DM me... I may know someone."

Deegan proudly held her helmet as she posed for the photo. She was not slated to drive in Sunday's race.  Deegan made her stock car debut at Daytona earlier this month, finishing second to Michael Self in the ARCA Series season opener on Feb. 8.

President Trump spoke ahead of the Daytona 500, calling it "the legendary display of roaring engines, soaring spirits and the American skill, speed and power that we've been hearing about for so many years." He later gave the command, "Gentlemen, start your engines," and rode for a lap in the presidential limo known as "The Beast" before the race got underway.

Deegan-Trump_Getty-Reuters.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

NASCAR star Hailie Deegan posed for a photo with President Trump and first lady Melania Trump ahead of the Daytona 500. (Getty/Reuters, File)

When asked about her rising profile in NASCAR, Deegan said earlier this month: "I think there's that aspect of being a girl that does help. But, once you get in the car, it don't matter. No one knows. Most of the time I have the most aggressive-looking, guy-looking car on the track."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Mike Arroyo is a senior editor for foxnews.com.   

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6    4 years ago

i don't know, she could be a Muslim...

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  igknorantzrulz @6.1    4 years ago

So....what would that have to do with anything here?  Who would care?  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7  seeder  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

Trump will follow up on his Florida appearance at the Daytona 500 with his first multi state re election campaign swing to Phoenix, Arizona, Las Vegas, Nevada on the eve of his caucus there, and Colorado Springs, Colorado.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8  seeder  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

Denny Hamlin wins 3rd Daytona 500; Ryan Newman hospitalized

Published:

Hamlin is the first driver since Sterling Marlin in 1995 to win consecutive Daytona 500's, but his celebration in victory lane was subdued. 

Hamlin said he was unaware of Newman's situation when he initially began his celebration. It wasn't until Fox Sports told him it would not interview him on the frontstretch after his burnouts that Hamlin learned the accident was bad. 

“It's a weird balance of excitement and happiness for yourself, but someone's health and their family is bigger than any win in any sport," he said. "We are just hoping for the best.” 

Team owner Joe Gibbs apologized after the race for the winning team celebration. 

“We didn't know until victory lane,” Gibbs said. “I know that for a lot of us, participating in sports and being in things where there are some risks, in a way, that's what they get excited about. Racing, we know what can happen, we just dream it doesn't happen. We are all just praying now for the outcome on this.”

Runner-up Blaney said the way the final lap shook out, with Newman surging ahead of Hamlin, that Blaney got a push from Hamlin that locked him in behind Newman in a move of brand alliance for Ford. 

“We pushed Newman there to the lead and then we got a push from the 11 ... I was committed to just pushing him to the win and having a Ford win it and got the bumpers hooked up wrong,” he said.

Hamlin had eight Ford drivers lined up behind him as the leader on the second overtime shootout without a single fellow Toyota driver in the vicinity to help him. It allowed Newman to get past him for the lead, but the bumping in the pack led to Newman's hard turn into the wall, followed by multiple rolls and a long skid across the finish line. 

Hamlin’s win last year was a 1-2-3 sweep for Joe Gibbs Racing and kicked off a yearlong company celebration in which Gibbs drivers won a record 19 races and the Cup championship. Now his third Daytona 500 win puts him alongside six Hall of Fame drivers as winners of three or more Daytona 500s. He tied Dale Jarrett — who gave JGR its first Daytona 500 win in 1993 — Jeff Gordon and Bobby Allison. Hamlin trails Cale Yarborough’s four wins and the record seven by Richard Petty. 

This victory came after just the second rain postponement in 62 years, a visit from Trump, a pair of red flag stoppages and two overtimes. The 0.014 margin of victory was the second closest in race history, and Hamlin’s win over Martin Truex Jr. in 2016 was the closest finish in race history. 

That margin of victory was 0.01 seconds. The win in “The Great American Race” is the third for Toyota, all won by Hamlin. Gibbs has four Daytona 500 victories as an owner. 

“I just feel like I'm a student to the game. I never stop learning and trying to figure out where I need to put myself at the right time,” Hamlin said. “It doesn't always work. We've defied odds here in the last eight years or so in the Daytona 500, but just trust my instincts, and so far they've been good for me.”

___

More AP auto racing: https://apnews.com/apf-AutoRacing and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8    4 years ago

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- Ryan Newman has barrel-rolled his way through many terrifying crashes over his 20-year NASCAR career. This one, though, caused the sport to pause.

Newman slid across the finish line in a crumpled heap of metal, sparks flying as his car skidded to a halt with fuel pouring onto the track frighteningly close to open flames.

Everyone gasped as track workers placed large black screens around his car and worked to get him out. They had to wait two excruciating hours to finally exhale.

The 42-year-old Newman was involved in a ghastly crash on the final lap of the Daytona 500 on Monday night and everyone feared the worst. NASCAR has not had a fatality in its elite Cup Series since 2001, but this wreck just looked different.

It took two long hours before NASCAR announced Newman had non-life threatening injuries and was in serious condition at nearby Halifax Medical Center.

''We had been waiting for information just like everyone else, so to hear some positive news tonight is a relief,'' said Mark Rushbrook, global director for Ford Performance Motorsports. ''The entire Ford family is sending positive thoughts for his recovery, but our first thoughts remain with his family and his team.''

Safety crews rushed to Newman's No. 6 Ford and worked to get the ''Rocketman'' out of his seat. The car was on fire as it skidded to a stop and had to be turned onto its tires before he could be unstrapped. Fox opted not to broadcast Newman's removal.

Ryan Blaney, who locked bumpers with Newman and turned him sideways, sounded crestfallen afterward. Corey LaJoie, who slammed into Newman's sideways car at full speed, watched a replay and insisted he had no way to avoid the contact. Fox Sports analyst and four-time Cup Series champion Jeff Gordon may have summed it up best.

''Safety's come a long way in this sport, but sometimes we are reminded that it is a very dangerous sport,'' Gordon said quietly as the broadcast came to a close with Newman's condition still unknown.

Breathtaking crashes are common at Daytona International Speedway, where drivers racing for position at 200 mph and in tight quarters often make contact. There have been no fatalities at the track since Dale Earnhardt's death following a crash on the final lap of the 2001 Daytona 500.

NASCAR responded by beefing up safety regulations, mandating head-and-neck restraints and improving the design and development of the cars.

Newman has been a harsh critic of NASCAR's struggles to keep cars on the racing surface, even getting fined for public comments the sanctioning body considered negative. In 2010, he said fans shouldn't even go to the track to see races at Talladega Superspeedway in Alabama.

Newman had escaped several scary wrecks at Daytona and Talladega over the years. His car went airborne, flipped repeatedly and landed on its roof in the 2003 Daytona 500. He had a similar crash-landing at Talladega in 2009.

His latest one will go down in Daytona history along with Austin Dillon's memorable crash into the catch fence on the final lap of the 2015 July race at Daytona. His car went airborne and tore down part of the fence and injured several fans. The car, with its engine already resting on another part of the track, ended up on its roof and then was smashed into by Brad Keselowski's car. Dillon remarkably walked away unscathed.

Newman's wreck looked just as awful to the naked eye and arguably worse on replay.

Blaney turned him hard right and into the outside wall. His car immediately flipped and was sliding on its side when LaJoie rammed into it.

''Dang I hope Newman is ok,'' LaJoie tweeted. ''That is worst case scenerio and I had nowhere to go but smoke.''

Denny Hamlin won the race for Joe Gibbs Racing, his second straight victory in the season opener and third in the last five years. The team celebrated near the start-finish line and again when confetti flew in victory lane, prompting Gibbs to later apologize.

''We really didn't know,'' Gibbs said. ''We got in the winner's circle and then that's when people told us. I wanted to explain that to everyone.

''That's what makes it so hard. Such a close-knit community, you know everybody. ... If you think about all the wrecks that we've had over the last how many number of years, some of them have been real serious. We've been real fortunate.''

NASCAR has declined in popularity since the safety changes that followed Earnhardt's death, almost falling back to its roots as a regional sport. Newman's crash surely will elicit calls for NASCAR to do even more.

Newman, an Indiana native who graduated with an engineering degree from Purdue, said earlier during Speedweeks he felt renewed in his second year at Roush Fenway Racing and had stop thinking about retirement.

''It's all about competitiveness and fun,'' said Newman, who also announced he and his wife had split after 16 years or marriage. ''I want to have fun with my life. If I can have fun in this garage doing it and get paid what I feel like I deserve to get paid, then I'm all for it. It's got to be fun and it's got be rewarding in more ways than one.

''I'm doing it past when I said I was going to do it 10 years ago. I don't know how to give the answer anymore, I really don't. I always said 40 and I'm 42 now.''

---

More AP auto racing: https://apnews.com/apf-AutoRacing and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports