By:   Josie Harvey, HuffPost

George Conway Thinks William Barr's Rebuke Of Trump Had A Hidden Message

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Politics

HuffPost February 16, 2020, 10:14 PM EST

5e49d5de230000050139b2ca.jpg

George Conway  suggested Attorney General   William Barr ’s recent pushback against President   Donald Trump   and his “constant background commentary” was more likely a warning for the president to be more discreet than an attempt to uphold the Department of Justice’s integrity.

Conway, a fierce Trump critic and husband to presidential counselor Kellyanne Conway, penned a   Washington Post op-ed   published Saturday, after Barr   complained in an ABC News interview on Thursday   that the president’s commentary on and off Twitter makes it “impossible for me to do my job.”

“He wasn’t actually standing up for the Justice Department’s integrity, or its independence, or for the rule of law,” Conway said of Barr’s comments, which came after Trump thanked him in a   tweet   for “taking charge” of the case against Roger Stone. The tweet appeared to confirm that Barr had intervened to walk back Stone’s recommended sentence after Trump raged about the original recommendation for his longtime friend, who was convicted in November for witness tampering and lying to Congress.

Conway continued: “To the contrary, as his (and my) friend Fox News host Laura Ingraham put it, ‘Barr was basically telling Trump, don’t worry I got this.’ In other words, don’t blow this by calling attention to all that I do for you.  Don’t say the quiet part out loud.”

(Ingraham, a devoted Trump defender, had   mocked the media   for pouncing on the “sexy story” of Barr breaking from Trump, saying that they’d “missed the fact” that Barr was actually telling the president he had his back.)

Citing an incident last year when the White House arranged for the name of the naval warship  USS John McCain  to be obscured before Trump’s visit to Japan, Conway argued that Trump’s subordinates had learned to deal with matters that could draw his ire preemptively.

“Anticipating Trump’s narcissistic whims and desires in just this fashion remains the key to survival in his administration, and outside the White House proper, no one does it better than Barr,” Conway wrote, highlighting the attorney general’s repeated interventions on the president’s behalf.

Democrats and more than   one thousand former DOJ officials   have called for Barr’s resignation over his actions, which they have labeled a   threat to democracy.

Other Trump critics  had warned that Barr’s pushback should be taken with a grain of salt. Several lawmakers, political pundits and news hosts suggested the comments may have been a coordinated attempt between him and the president to limit the fallout over Stone’s botched sentencing.

Conway says Barr tried to communicate a hidden meaning to the president with his critique but warns the message will fall on deaf ears.

“But the president will never listen, and what Barr does for him will never be enough,” Conway concluded.

“So Trump wants to say the quiet part out loud; he wants to say he’s got this. And there’s no one to stop him now.”

This article originally appeared on   HuffPost .

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

Conway continued: “To the contrary, as his (and my) friend Fox News host Laura Ingraham put it, ‘Barr was basically telling Trump, don’t worry I got this.’ In other words, don’t blow this by calling attention to all that I do for you.  Don’t say the quiet part out loud.”

That's exactly what I've been saying - 'shut your big fat mouth tRump!'

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  Vic Eldred    4 years ago

Sorry, Barr can't be bullied!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    4 years ago
Sorry, Barr can't be bullied!

But he can be bought.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

He does exactly what his mobster boss tells him to do.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Barr will soon be history I am betting because he was mean to Trump.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    4 years ago

Barr will soon be history I am betting because he was mean to Trump.

You don't think he got his master's permission before posting anything?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ozzwald @5.1    4 years ago

Like Trump would grant anyone permission to diss him.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.1.1    4 years ago

Like Trump would grant anyone permission to diss him.

But did he diss him?  It struck as a statement that never actually put down Trump at all, he just very carefully worded it so that even an imbecile could be convinced that it wasn't personal.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

86406940_1279457615578135_1020995145954230272_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ohc=eAY_tWjsZ8sAX9od2be&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=a5cc07eb804bca03e6aff0b82b041194&oe=5EB62117

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7  bbl-1    4 years ago

No, Barr did not 'rebuke' the Trump.  What Barr did was send 'the message' to the Trump to not broadcast what he ( Barr ) was doing.