╌>

Democratic Choice Down To Four

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  26 comments

Democratic Choice Down To Four

The Democratic candidate for president should come from the following, and I think it will.  

Joe Biden

Amy Klobuchar

Elizabeth Warren

Pete Buttigieg. 

These four have the political mettle and the ideological balance to beat Donald Trump. Going by what we saw in the debate in Nevada last night, all four of these are more than capable of standing up to Trump's bullying and lies. If Trump tries to stand behind  or stalk Warren or Klobuchar on the debate stage like he did to Hillary Clinton, they will turn around and tell him to get lost. Biden and Buttigieg also will do more than hold their own with Trump, whose ability to debate is ridiculously over rated if not fantasized by his followers. Hillary Clinton won all three debates with Trump in 2016. 

Bernie Sanders and Michael Bloomberg must fall by the wayside. Sanders cant get to the 50% presumed to be needed to win a general election,  and Bloomberg would be an immense risk by Democrats, in that he is not a Democrat and shows no promise of ever acting like one, in word or deed. If Bloomberg is the nominee large numbers of the young and others of the Democratic base will be tempted to stay home. In the debate last night Bloomberg seemed to display a belief he is entitled to the nomination. That is just not gonna work.  I hope he still makes good on his vow to spend whatever it takes to remove Trump from the White House.  That good deed can be Bloomberg's legacy to America. 

So how do Biden, Klobuchar, Warren or Buttigieg get the nomination ? 

It is possible that when the primaries end Sanders will have a lead in delegates relative to the others, but will still be well short of 50%.  Unless he has 50% he has no ironclad claim to the nomination. Indeed it would be illogical to give the nomination to a candidate who has only 30 or 35% of the delegates at the end of the primaries. Throughout history there have been times when no one candidate had enough delegates when the nominating convention started. In the past the process was one of wheeling and dealing to find a compromise candidate. That could very well happen again this year.  As long as it is done on and up and up basis it is unavoidable when there is no majority winning candidate. 

Any of the four I mentioned can beat Trump, and will, as long as Democrats and independents do their duty. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago

I think it is going to be Biden, but Klobuchar has a good chance if she can hang in there for a couple more weeks. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

Biden's had one relatively good night in a year, mainly because his rivals don't think he's important enough to bother attacking. His fundraising stinks and his polling has been dropping precipitously both nationally and in the upcoming primary states.  He's now even trailing in South Carolina, his supposed firewall.

It's probably either Sanders or Bloomberg, even with how bad he was last night. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.3    4 years ago

I think Biden was feeling entitlement all along too. He has had a rude awakening. If he can survive the next couple weeks, he too will have the chance to be the alternative to Bernie. One of those four I mentioned will emerge, and will be the nominee.

All of those people on stage last night , with the exception of Bloomberg , showed more than enough fight to stand up to Trump. The idea that Trump is this formidable debater is nonsense perpetrated by a foolish media. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.3.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.3    4 years ago

I have to agree with you Sean. Actually you gave really good commentary last night. Very objective. I was quite impressed. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2  bbl-1    4 years ago

The best candidate for the dems would be  Senator Sheldon Whitehouse.

In our Ohio primary I will cast my vote for Biden, assuming he is still standing.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3  TᵢG    4 years ago
These four have the political mettle and the ideological balance to beat Donald Trump. 

If the D nominee comes from these four then we will have Trump for four more years.   

• Joe Biden ☞ probably has the best chance, but he brings nothing to the table other than 'I am not Donald Trump'.    The electorate will not be persuaded that going with Biden is a safe bet to keep the economy strong.
  • Amy Klobuchar ☞ I would be surprised if she makes it even to the final four.   Likable, but not inspiring voters.
  • Elizabeth Warren ☞ Unlikable, pandering and too extreme in terms of policies.      
  • Pete Buttigieg ☞  Solid, rational and an excellent communicator.   Too inexperienced, but he is my favorite candidate in terms of personal qualities.   Likely would not break through the bigotry ceiling in the general.   He should run for congress or for governor before going for the top job.