╌>

Daredevil 'Mad' Mike Hughes dies after homemade rocket crashes, reports say

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  freefaller  •  4 years ago  •  118 comments

Daredevil 'Mad' Mike Hughes dies after homemade rocket crashes, reports say

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

BARSTOW, Calif. (KSNV) — The famous daredevil known for trying to launch himself into space on a homemade rocket has died near Barstow, California after a crash landing during a rocket launch Saturday, multiple media outlets report .

The launch, according to Space.com , was a part of the “Homemade Astronauts” series on Science Channel.

The 64-year-old was riding his own steam-powered rocket and hoped to reach 5,000 feet.

In a video posted on Twitter by Justin Chapman shows the launch as well as the crash. “Very likely did not survive,” Chapman said in the post’s caption.

The San Bernardino Sheriff’s Office said that deputies responded just before 2:00 p.m. Saturday to a private property in a rural area of Barstow.

A man was pronounced deceased after the rocket crashed in the open desert during a rocket launch event. There were medical aid personnel for the launch and they were immediately on scene.

The department’s aviation and specialized investigators are conducting an investigation, adding that the coroner has not made a positive ID.

Hughes is not only famous for his daredevil ways but also his belief that the earth is flat, which is among the reasons he so tirelessly tried to reach space and see for his own eyes.

Hughes’ was the star of the documentary “Rocketman: Mad Mike’s Mission to Prove the Flat-Earth.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Freefaller    4 years ago

Don't know if anyone else remembers this guy but like the story says he was building his own rocket partially in an effort to prove the earth was flat.

Lol possibly NASA got scared and shut his research down (permanently).  Any the mystery continues.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Freefaller @1    4 years ago

He was the most famous of the flat earthers.  I wish he had made it so he could see for himself that the earth is not flat.  There is no mystery.  Earth is a planet and by definition not flat.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1    4 years ago
so he could see for himself that the earth is not flat.

Funny thing is that he didn't have to go into space to see that, he simply had to watch a ship come over the horizon into port

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.2  TᵢG  replied to  Freefaller @1.1.1    4 years ago

Flat Earthers are a strange breed.   Nothing you say or demonstrate makes a difference to them.   There is a YouTube video that has the head USA flat Earther witnessing a scientific demonstration.   The scientists put on a boat a vertical meter (about 6 feet tall).   The boat then went out to sea and on the beach they had the equivalent of surveyor equipment.   They watched as the meter stick slowly moved downward in the view of the equipment.     

The flat Earthers claimed this was merely a heat mirage.

No reasoning with such blind confirmation bias.   It is a religious thing with them.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  bbl-1  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1    4 years ago

[Deleted]

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  bbl-1 @1.1.3    4 years ago

Bbl no politics please

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.2    4 years ago
The flat Earthers claimed this was merely a heat mirage.

I could state that that is not the effect that heat mirages produce, but lol why bother.

No reasoning with such blind confirmation bias.   It is a religious thing with them.

No argument here

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.6  TᵢG  replied to  Freefaller @1.1.5    4 years ago

I know it was a pathetic response, but they had nothing better.   They could not be honest and just admit that they were wrong.   If they did that the donations would stop and they would lose their following and not be able to have annual conventions.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.6    4 years ago
annual conventions

Which attract people from around the globe, I'm sure.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.8  cjcold  replied to  Freefaller @1.1.4    4 years ago

[deleted]

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.9  igknorantzrulz  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.7    4 years ago

well rounded you appear in shapes revolving around interest, pulled to the side of uninteresting things that gravitate to the force, centrifugal 

as not too difficult to join in against the spin from a Cult i began

to end

till it was beginning

to look like the end

as which of  what is not spun, unless to promote fired employees to the front of the back page turned to better lie while standing up

dead on often enough is never

often

enuff

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.10  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.2    4 years ago
No reasoning with such blind confirmation bias.   It is a religious thing with them.

There's no reasoning with anyone who is unreasonable, willfully ignorant, or just plain delusional.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.11  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.10    4 years ago

There's no reasoning with anyone who is unreasonable, willfully ignorant, or just plain delusional.

you realize i can see and read your posts ?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.12  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Freefaller @1.1.1    4 years ago

I would be willing to go with some flat earthers in a ship and head out to sea.  I would leave a certified check to be given to a recipient of their choice if the boat falls off the edge of the world, which it won't.  They instead would get a reality check and I would get a nice little trip out of it.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1.13  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  cjcold @1.1.8    4 years ago

I'd prefer you didn't, especially without proof

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1.14  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.12    4 years ago
if the boat falls off the edge of the world, which it won't.

Silly girl of course it wouldn't, the ice wall surrounding our disk would prevent it.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.1.15  katrix  replied to  Freefaller @1.1.14    4 years ago

Ah, I get it. So it's the ice walls that keep the cats from knocking everything off the edge of the Earth?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1.16  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  katrix @1.1.15    4 years ago

Lol exactly

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.17  Gordy327  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1.11    4 years ago

Yes, and?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.18  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Freefaller @1.1.14    4 years ago

LOL.  My bad.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.19  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.17    4 years ago

Iggy is making fun of himself a bit.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.20  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.2    4 years ago

After listening to Flat Earthers and Creationists over the years, I started to like the movie "Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy based on the book of the same name by Gary Adams even more. That planet creating factory at the end of the movie made about as much sense as their theories!

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.2  squiggy  replied to  Freefaller @1    4 years ago

Looks like he hit on a flat part of Earth.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3  Sparty On  replied to  Freefaller @1    4 years ago
Don't know if anyone else remembers this guy but like the story says he was building his own rocket partially in an effort to prove the earth was flat.

And in other news, the moon landings were faked and we will never have a definitive answer as to how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie-Pop

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.3.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Sparty On @1.3    4 years ago

rumor has it, it is one, two, a three          CRUNCH!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3.2  Sparty On  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.3.1    4 years ago

Mr Owl?   Is that you?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.3.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Sparty On @1.3.2    4 years ago

Who...?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.3.4  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Sparty On @1.3    4 years ago
And in other news, the moon landings were faked and we will never have a definitive answer as to how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie-Pop

Don't forget the grassy knoll

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3.5  Sparty On  replied to  Freefaller @1.3.4    4 years ago

I subscribe to the newer theory that is was an accidental discharge from a secret service weapon.

One of the original evil black guns ...... where are Scully and Mulder when you need them?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2  TᵢG    4 years ago

This was inevitable.   I have been following this nutcase for years wondering when and how he was going to kill himself.

squiggy
Junior Silent
2.1  squiggy  replied to  TᵢG @2    4 years ago

Just when he’d mastered ac-celebration.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  squiggy @2.1    4 years ago

Wasn't the acceleration. It was the sudden loss of momentum at the end...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.1    4 years ago

Yep, 350 MPH to 0, in approximately 0 seconds, is usually a game changer.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  TᵢG @2    4 years ago
This was inevitable

Yup, precious few things in life are certain this was one of them

katrix
Sophomore Participates
2.3  katrix  replied to  TᵢG @2    4 years ago

Same here - the ironic thing is that for less money, and a lot more safely, he could have just gone up in an airplane and gotten a lot higher up.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

What did he hope to accomplish at 5,000 feet that he couldn't have accomplished on, for example, a commercial airline flight at cruising altitude?

Stupid, stupid, stupid. 

I'm glad nobody else was hurt.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1  TᵢG  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4    4 years ago

Flat Earthers claim that the windows on jets are curved to give the illusion of a curved Earth.   Yes, they actually do.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @4.1    4 years ago

jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

I saw a post on one flat Earther's Facebook page that claimed that multiple views of the Earth, taken from different points in orbit or at different times, not all looking the same, meant that they were faked.  They should all look alike, she thought.  Because the eastern hemisphere should look exactly like the western hemisphere, and cloud cover is stationary.

Oy.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @4.1    4 years ago
TiG: "Flat Earthers claim that the windows on jets are curved to give the illusion of a curved Earth.   Yes, they actually do."
Sandy: "I saw a post on one flat Earther's Facebook page that claimed that multiple views of the Earth, taken from different points in orbit or at different times, not all looking the same, meant that they were faked.  They should all look alike, she thought.  Because the eastern hemisphere should look exactly like the western hemisphere, and cloud cover is stationary."

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif That takes stupid to a whole new level.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.2    4 years ago

Even beyond the YEC claims of a 6,000 year old Earth or the nutty ('Meet the Flintstones...') claims of dinosaurs coexisting with human beings. 

jrSmiley_103_smiley_image.jpg

Now that is tough to beat.

zuksam
Junior Silent
4.1.4  zuksam  replied to  TᵢG @4.1    4 years ago

How do they explain away the time zones and the fact the sun comes up in the east and sets in the west in every time zone and the fact it's always day somewhere. Instead of building rockets they should place 24 of their most prominent flat earthers at 15 degree intervals around the world and video conference the sun's progress just to make sure it doesn't go out and quickly run back to the other end of the flat earth. The thing with flat earthers is I've always suspected that they were just screwing with us and laughing about it at their flat earther keg parties.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.5  TᵢG  replied to  zuksam @4.1.4    4 years ago

I figure it is confirmation bias (and serious stupidity) that keeps these folks going.   These people claim that NASA is engaging in a worldwide conspiracy with fake photos and claims.   The level of conspiracy theory one must accept to believe this nonsense is staggering.   Even a basic IQ should be sufficient to raise a red flag that something is wrong in the logic.

But .... no.    

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.1    4 years ago

Do they also claim that ALL planets (millions of them) are flat?  If God gets angry with a planet does he just play Frisbee with them?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.1.7  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  zuksam @4.1.4    4 years ago
The thing with flat earthers is I've always suspected that they were just screwing with us and laughing about it at their flat earther keg parties.

Possibly, my suspicion is a bit of that but also the need to feel special and be a part of something

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.8  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @4.1.3    4 years ago

That's high up on the stupidity scale too. Flat Earthers or YECs: which of them tops the stupid scale? ;)

Everyone has the right to be stupid. But there are those who abuse the privilege. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.9  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @4.1.5    4 years ago

Is the NASA conspiracy also part of the "godless scientists" evolution conspiracy?" ;)

Dig
Professor Participates
4.1.10  Dig  replied to  zuksam @4.1.4    4 years ago
The thing with flat earthers is I've always suspected that they were just screwing with us and laughing about it at their flat earther keg parties.

I used to think it was a joke organization, too. Literally some kind of comedy satire thing like the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Apparently not, though, which is mind-blowing.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5  Split Personality    4 years ago

https://www.boredpanda.com/flat-earth-funny-memes/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1  TᵢG  replied to  Split Personality @5    4 years ago

jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif     I love your second picture.   How poetic.

Generally I do not presume people stupid just because they have what I consider to be absurd beliefs.   In the case of flat Earthers, I do not think I can help myself.   Something is very, very wrong here.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @5.1    4 years ago

You are kinder than I am TiG. I consider Flat Earthers  (& YECs) to be stupid. The lack of logical, rational thought is astounding. That is what's wrong here, among other possibilities.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Gordy327 @5.1.1    4 years ago

What is a YEC?  I am unfamiliar with that term.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.1.2    4 years ago

Young Earth Creationism.   Belief that the Earth is 6,000 years old (among other nonsense) based on the analysis of the Bible by archBishop Ussher.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
5.1.4  katrix  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.3    4 years ago

Or some have a different (yet just as convoluted belief) - they are willing to accept that the earth is older than 6000 years, but they are still convinced that humanity has only existed for 6000 years.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.3    4 years ago

Ahhhh, those nut jobs.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1.6  Gordy327  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.1.5    4 years ago

Understatement.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Split Personality @5    4 years ago

A globe by definition is a round object so if they say they have members around the globe, they are affirming that the earth is not flat.

Dig
Professor Participates
6  Dig    4 years ago

I was wondering if he'd been submitted for a Darwin Award yet, so I went poking around the interwebs and found something else instead...

On Saturday, a public relations representative disputed Hughes' flat Earth beliefs, telling BuzzFeed News that the argument had helped Hughes raise money, but that he didn't actually believe it. "We used flat Earth as a PR stunt. Period," Darren Shuster told BuzzFeed News. "He was a true daredevil decades before the latest round of rocket missions. Flat Earth allowed us to get so much publicity that we kept going! I know he didn’t believe in flat Earth and it was a schtick."

So it was a scam for money and publicity. Surprise, surprise.

Okay, what's worse... being stupid or gullible enough to believe in a flat Earth, or being a scumbag who knowingly dupes people who are stupid or gullible enough to believe in a flat Earth out of their money?

Ken Ham keeps popping into my head for some reason.

zuksam
Junior Silent
6.1  zuksam  replied to  Dig @6    4 years ago

I figured it had to be something with this guy. Anyone smart enough to build a rocket that didn't just blow up on the launch pad but actually lifted off couldn't be that stupid. He was a little crazy though.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Dig @6    4 years ago
So it was a scam for money and publicity. Surprise, surprise.

No doubt it's a scam, but as far as both sides were interested it was a mutually beneficial one

Dig
Professor Participates
6.2.1  Dig  replied to  Freefaller @6.2    4 years ago
No doubt it's a scam, but as far as both sides were interested it was a mutually beneficial one

Being taken by a con man is beneficial?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.2.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Dig @6.2.1    4 years ago
Being taken by a con man is beneficial?

Not usually, but in this case I believe both parties benefited with possible further benefits had he not lawn darted.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.2.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Freefaller @6.2.2    4 years ago
lawn darted

I feel a little guilty for laughing at that.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.3  TᵢG  replied to  Dig @6    4 years ago
Ken Ham keeps popping into my head for some reason.

With all the work Ham has had to do to find ways to argue against science, he necessarily must know that his claims are bullshit.   I have for years held that Ham is a con-man more than a religious zealot who seeks to keep people religious by any means possible.    He is not as bad as the slimy, despicable prosperity gospel types like Kenneth Copeland but he deserves scorn because he is purposely trying to dumb down as many kids as possible.

Dig
Professor Participates
6.3.1  Dig  replied to  TᵢG @6.3    4 years ago
He is not as bad as the slimy, despicable prosperity gospel types like Kenneth Copeland but he deserves scorn because he is purposely trying to dumb down as many kids as possible.

Ham does it for profit, too. His so-called Creation Museum and Ark Experience are businesses, right?

Not to mention Answers in Genesis, which apparently makes millions of dollars per year.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.3.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Dig @6.3.1    4 years ago
Not to mention Answers in Genesis, which apparently makes millions of dollars per year.

Which just proves that old statement "a fool and his money are soon parted"

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.3.3  TᵢG  replied to  Dig @6.3.1    4 years ago

Yes he does, but it seems he uses the profit to promote his cause.    Kenneth Copeland, et. al. uses the profit to support their personal lavish lifestyles.   Compared to Copeland, Ham is an honorable guy.  Copeland is a slimy con-man and a thief.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
6.3.4  pat wilson  replied to  Dig @6.3.1    4 years ago
Ham does it for profit, too. His so-called Creation Museum and Ark Experience are businesses, right?

Is he from the "Ark Encounter" in Kentucky ?

They sued because of flood damage to the "Ark", due to heavy rains, cough, cough.

(you can't make this sh*t up).

Baron Creek
Junior Quiet
7  Baron Creek    4 years ago

It seems strange that anyone would think it necessary to leave the ground to see if the earth is flat. Just set your watch to EST, see when the sun rises and sets, then drive to LA... without adjusting watch and see when the sun rises and sets. Immediately reverse the process. Compare the times... A flat earth would have only one time zone.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1  TᵢG  replied to  Baron Creek @7    4 years ago

Trying to get inside the mind of a flat-Earther is a tough gig.      jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @7.1    4 years ago
Trying to get inside the mind of a flat-Earther is a tough gig.  

So if Earth were a flat disk, what would the dimensions be? Presumably, the diameter would be the same: 12,756 km. How thick would this disk be? How do they explain the Earth's core? 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7.1.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Gordy327 @7.1.1    4 years ago
How do they explain the Earth's core?

I believe I've read that there's a small hidden star providing some warming.  Of course we can't see it cause we're stuck on the other side of the disk

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  Freefaller @7.1.2    4 years ago

Wow, just wow. They'll make up anything to support their BS.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.4  TᵢG  replied to  Gordy327 @7.1.1    4 years ago

Generally they do not explain things.   They simply cherry-pick factors with supreme confirmation bias and present their 'case' via YouTube videos.   You give them far too much explanatory credit.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7.1.5  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Gordy327 @7.1.3    4 years ago

Lol that's not even the weirdest of several theories I've seen, my favorite is the fires of Tartarus one

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1.6  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.4    4 years ago

Of course [slaps forehead], silly me for expecting an actual explanation. Lol

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1.7  Gordy327  replied to  Freefaller @7.1.5    4 years ago

I don't think I've heard that one.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7.1.8  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Gordy327 @7.1.7    4 years ago

Ok you caught me I may have changed fires of Hell to fires of Tartarus on my own, sorry

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1.9  Gordy327  replied to  Freefaller @7.1.8    4 years ago

No worries.  But it does fit with their mentality.

charger 383
Professor Silent
8  charger 383    4 years ago

What do they say the bottom is made of?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.1  Split Personality  replied to  charger 383 @8    4 years ago

Roots !

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @8.1    4 years ago

Naval lint

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.1    4 years ago

Does everyone have to pick on the USN constantly?

Oh wait, you meant...jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @8.1.2    4 years ago

I spelled it wrong, didn't I?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.1.4  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.3    4 years ago

Lol absolutely not, for example.  Our Navel forces have navals

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Freefaller @8.1.4    4 years ago

lol

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Freefaller @8.1.4    4 years ago

And their subs have seamen.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

Gordy said something upthread about dimensions that made me think (and now I have a migraine).

We are 3 dimensional beings. Everything on earth is 3 dimensional because the Earth is a sphere, a classic 3D object. If the Earth was flat, we would be flat, ie, 2 dimensional.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
9.1  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @9    4 years ago

Unless the Earth was a cube. Or rectangular.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @9.1    4 years ago

A cube is 3D because it has length, width, and height. A rectangle is only 2D because it only has width and length

Gordy327
Professor Expert
9.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.1    4 years ago

Think rectangular as in plywood: length, width, and height. But if the Earth is a disk, then it must have a more cylindrical shape.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Gordy327 @9.1    4 years ago
Unless the Earth was a cube.

like the Artifact, lol.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @9.1.2    4 years ago

Yeah, but a piece of plywood is tangible. I was talking about a shape on a piece of paper.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.2  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @9    4 years ago

If you really want a headache ..... consider the 4th dimension ..... enjoy!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @9.2    4 years ago

The 4th dimension is time

Ender
Professor Principal
9.2.2  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.2.1    4 years ago

And the fifth dimension sings hippie music.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.2.3  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.2.1    4 years ago

Its a space-time continuum ..... unless of course when the Moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars ..... then all bets are off because peace will guide the planets and love will steer the stars ..... ooops, wrong dimension

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @9.2.2    4 years ago

lol

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @9.2.3    4 years ago

I used to like that song....

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.2.6  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.2.5    4 years ago

You don't anymore?   What happened?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.2.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @9.2.6    4 years ago

Keep your day job, Sparty. I don't think you've got a career as a recording star.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.2.8  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.2.7    4 years ago

Good to know your opinion on the matter ..... i'll take it under advisement if i ever go that route

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.2.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @9.2.8    4 years ago

I'm teasing you

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.2.10  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.2.9    4 years ago

Lol i know and i was teasing back ..... the thought of me singing anything but the Marine Corps Hymn scares even me

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.2.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @9.2.10    4 years ago

lol

Gordy327
Professor Expert
9.2.12  Gordy327  replied to  Ender @9.2.2    4 years ago

Isn't that the dimension Mr. Myxlplyx is from?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.2.13  TᵢG  replied to  Gordy327 @9.2.12    4 years ago

Mxyzptlk.   I am an old DC comics aficionado.   Kltpzyxm!

jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

And you are quite correct ... he is from the 5 th dimension.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
9.2.14  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @9.2.13    4 years ago

I'm more Marvel Comics. But I am familiar with the basics of DC as well. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
9.2.15  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Gordy327 @9.2.14    4 years ago
I'm more Marvel Comics.

Same here, about the only DC comic I read was Batman.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.2.16  TᵢG  replied to  Freefaller @9.2.15    4 years ago

Not Superman?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
9.2.17  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  TᵢG @9.2.16    4 years ago

Nope I'm not sure why exactly but to me he was just too powerful.  Physically no one could ever defeat him and mentally/emotionally he just had no foibles, no fear, no angst, no mistakes, no regrets   Mind you all my opinions on Supes were formed 40 or more years ago so things may have changed.  Instead give me Phoenix, ShadowCat, Rogue, Psylocke, Storm etc something that's at least a little relatable.  

Oh and he also wasn't a busty woman dressed in a virtually painted on costume.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.2.18  TᵢG  replied to  Freefaller @9.2.17    4 years ago

Good point.  jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Hard to suspend disbelief.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
9.2.19  Gordy327  replied to  Freefaller @9.2.17    4 years ago
about the only DC comic I read was Batman.

Isn't that all you really need? Batman is awesome. But then, Batman is like being a mortal Superman: he can basically do anything.

Nope I'm not sure why exactly but to me he was just too powerful.  

Well, he did have what seemed like every super power out there: Super strength, super speed, invulnerability, heat vision, cold breath, X-Ray vision, super hearing. He is completely overpowered. Where most superheroes have 1 or 2 superpowers, Supes had many.

Physically no one could ever defeat him

Except Doomsday. But like many comic book "deaths," Superman's demise at the hands of Doomsday would only be temporary. Batman has beaten him too. But rather than physically defeating Supes, Bats outwitted him.

Instead give me Phoenix, ShadowCat, Rogue, Psylocke, Storm etc something that's at least a little relatable.  

Don't forget Wolverine. jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

Oh and he also wasn't a busty woman dressed in a virtually painted on costume.

That's why we have Wonder Woman. Or Batgirl. Or Black Canary, ect.. jrSmiley_16_smiley_image.gif

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
9.2.20  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Gordy327 @9.2.19    4 years ago
That's why we have Wonder Woman. Or Batgirl. Or Black Canary

Ya know I've seen them all in comics (many, many moons ago) and the drawings of the time simply never impressed as much as Marvels did.  Meh it's all personal taste I guess.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
9.2.21  Gordy327  replied to  Freefaller @9.2.20    4 years ago

Let's just say modern depictions are much more impressive. And detailed ;)

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.2.22  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @9.2.2    4 years ago

The Twilight Zone is its own dimension.

Jordan G
Freshman Silent
10  Jordan G    4 years ago

In his quest to prove the earth is flat, he proved the law of gravity is real.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
11  Split Personality    4 years ago

From March 25,2018

Still, mission accomplished for a guy more daredevil than engineer, who drew more comparisons to the cartoon character Wile E. Coyote from his critics than he did to iconic stunt man Evel Knievel.

"Mad" Mike Hughes, the rocket man who believes the Earth is flat, propelled himself about 1,875 feet into the air Saturday before a hard landing in the Mojave Desert. He told The Associated Press that outside of an aching back he's fine after the launch near Amboy, California.

"Mad" Mike Hughes, the rocket man who believes the Earth is flat, propelled himself about 1,875 feet into the air Saturday before a hard landing in the Mojave Desert. He told The Associated Press that outside of an aching back he's fine after the launch near Amboy, California.

"I told Mike we could try to keep charging it up and get it hotter," said Waldo Stakes, who's been helping Hughes with his endeavor. "He said, 'No.'"

Sometime after 3 p.m. PDT, and without a countdown, Hughes' rocket soared into the sky.

Hughes reached a speed that Stakes estimated to be around 350 mph before pulling his parachute. Hughes was dropping too fast, though, and he had to deploy a second one. He landed with a thud and the rocket's nose broke in two places like it was designed to do.

His latest attempt defied common safety precautions.  Because of the wind, they had trouble maintaining the steam temperature.  Two certain signals to postpone.

Upon the launch, one parachute inexplicably deployed and was almost instantly ripped free of the rocket which climbed to

5000 feet, tipped over and headed nose first into the ground while onlookers waited for Hughes to deploy the 3 remaining parachutes.  That never happened.

Bill Holder
@bh13850
·
Feb 22
Replying to
The Earth is still round. Mad Mike Hughes is flat. RIP.