╌>

Harvey Weinstein Found Guilty of Rape and Criminal Sex Act, Acquitted of Most Serious Charges

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  39 comments

Harvey Weinstein Found Guilty of Rape and Criminal Sex Act, Acquitted of Most Serious Charges
A New York jury has found Harvey Weinstein guilty of rape and criminal sexual act in his federal court case; he was acquitted of the most serious counts of predatory sex assault

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

What to Know

• A New York jury has found Harvey Weinstein guilty of rape and criminal sexual act in his federal court case; he was acquitted of the most serious counts of predatory sex assault
  • The jury of five women and seven men reached their verdict on the fifth day of deliberations; Weinstein's team had no immediate comment
  • Weinstein, 67, had been charged with forcibly performing oral sex on Mimi Haley in 2006 and raping a different woman in a Manhattan hotel room in 2013; he also faces a separate complaint in LA

A New York jury has found former Hollywood studio boss Harvey Weinstein guilty of third-degree rape in the case of Jessica Mann and guilty of first-degree sexual assault in the case of Mimi Haley, acquitting him of the two most serious counts of predatory sex assault.

Those two counts of predatory sex assault, which carried a max sentence of life and would have required 12-member jury to find Weinstein guilty of attacking both "Sopranos" actress Annabella Sciorra and Mann or both Sciorra and Haley, appeared to be a point of contention late last week. As the fourth day of deliberations wrapped up Friday, the jury sent the judge a note asking if they could be deadlocked on those two counts. The judge said no, and refused the defense's request for a partial verdict.

The panel, made up of five women and seven men, returned to deliberations on Monday morning, their fifth day of discussions, and issued their decision before lunchtime. The criminal sex act conviction along carries up to 25 years in prison; third-degree rape has a max sentence of four years.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

My son in law to be was in the jury pool for this case, and he said this was going to be not easy on the jury. The deadlock kind of indicated that. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    4 years ago

Hope they put this scum away for a long long time!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2  Jasper2529    4 years ago

Cy Vance, the Manhattan DA, just said that Weinstein faces 25 years or more on one of the guilty verdicts. Harvey will be over 90 before he sees freedom, and that's good enough for me.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jasper2529 @2    4 years ago

I have to agree with you. I was worried he would get off on all charges. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    4 years ago
I was worried he would get off on all charges.

So was I. I would have preferred that the most serious charges held, because they'd have been life in prison, but at age 67 twenty-five years is essentially life in prison.

zuksam
Junior Silent
2.1.2  zuksam  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    4 years ago

He might anyway, he'll appeal and they'll have to grant it because of the lack of physical evidence and the next trial will be limited to the two charges he was found guilty on. Also He faces a possible sentence of between five and 25 years but even if he gets the minimum I doubt he could survive 5 years in prison.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Jasper2529 @2    4 years ago

The Bubbas are lined up to welcome him to his new home.  They love fresh meat, but this schmuck is like 250 lbs of condemned veal.

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    4 years ago

The 'third degree' rape gets me. Rape is rape. Imo there is only one degree.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

I'm surprised they found him guilty on any counts, but I'm glad they did.

You know he's going to appeal this verdict

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @6    4 years ago

They are already saying that. Saying one of the jurists was bias and writing a book about rape.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @6.1    4 years ago

Send him on a hunting or fishing trip with one of the victims fathers.

Two go out and only one comes back and the last name wouldn't be Weinstein.

Justice served.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.1    4 years ago

How cold is Lake Michigan in at the end of February, anyway?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.2    4 years ago

Fucking cold, low 40's to mid 30's depending on surface wind.

He wouldn't last long at all ..... he'd be done in a jiff

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.2    4 years ago

My father used to swim there as a kid and told me in Feb, it is damned cold.  At least Harvey would not drown because shit floats.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.4    4 years ago

Even shit ultimately sinks at that temp

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.5    4 years ago

Good point.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.6    4 years ago

Crayfish bait ......

zuksam
Junior Silent
6.1.8  zuksam  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.5    4 years ago

That's why they say Lake Michigan never gives up her dead because the water is so cold they sink and don't rot fast enough to bloat so they just stay on the bottom.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.9  Kavika   replied to  zuksam @6.1.8    4 years ago

Actually, it is Gichi Gami (Lake Superior) that doesn't give up her dead. 

Gordon Lightfoot made it famous with this song, ''The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald''.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.10  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @6.1.9    4 years ago

I remember that November day well.   Hellava storm .... lost some local Michigan men on that one

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.11  Kavika   replied to  Sparty On @6.1.10    4 years ago

I had/have a few relatives that worked the ore boats out of Duluth MN. 

That was one hell of a storm.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.12  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @6.1.11    4 years ago

This is one of the enduring mysteries of Lake Superior. 

1. SS Bannockburn, a.k.a. “The Flying Dutchman of Lake Superior”

Bannockburn-shipwreck-1024x758.jpghttps://images.dailyhive.com/20161017132714/Bannockburn-shipwreck-500x370.jpg 500w, 1200w, 1280w" sizes="(max-width: 1024px) 100vw, 1024px" >

Wikipedia

SS Bannockburn was a Canadian steel-hulled freighter that disappeared on November 21st, 1902. Its loss is one of the biggest mysteries on Lake Superior, with no trace of the missing vessel ever to have been discovered. Since her disappearance, many sailors claimed to have seen her running without lights during stormy weather.

The ship was lost in the middle of the lake, and all 21 people on board lost their lives. The Bannockburn, which was 245 feet (75 meters) long, and 40 feet (12.2 meters) wide, was on her way from Port Arthur to the Soo with a load of wheat, but disappeared without a trace sometime after 11:00 PM on November 21st.

She had been launched 9 years prior her disappearance, in 1893, and had quite an unusual profile for a freighter. On her voyages hauling grains for the Montreal Transportation Company, captains from other ships could recognize the Bannockburn before they could even read her nameplate. The ship had become a common sight on the Great Lakes.

What’s interesting about the Bannockburn is the fact that she had 2 major incidents before she sank. In April 1897, the ship ran aground on the rocks near Snake Island light. Even though no lives were lost, she was badly damaged. Several months later, in October 1897, on her way to Kingston carrying grain, she struck the wall of the Welland Canal and took 9 feet of water.

On November 20th 1902, one day before her final voyage, the ship ran aground shortly after leaving Fort William, and turned back to port. Having suffered no apparent damage, the Bannockburn recommenced her journey on November 21st 1902.

The ship was later spotted by the famous Captain James McMaugh of the Algonquin, who estimated that the Bannockburn was 80 miles off Keweenaw Point and 40 miles off Isle Royale. Later that night, as a strong winter storm began on Lake Superior, the Bannockburn was spotted at about 11:00 PM by the passenger steamer Huronic, never to be seen again. On November 30th 1902, the ship was declared lost.

However, this doesn’t mean that the Bannockburn wasn’t allegedly sighted afterwards. Easily identifiable by her profile, it’s hard to mistake it for another ship. While some of the sightings are clearly just stories, others are not that easy to dismiss, and have been reported in regional newspapers.

One such story was that of the ore freighter Walter A. Hutchison, shortly after World War 2. When the crew saw the Bannockburn just a hundred yards away coming straight at them, the captain tried to put some distance between the Walter A. Hutchison and the Bannockburn, and steered to the northeast. The Bannockburn went past Walter A. Hutchison safely, only to run aground and disappear. If the captain of the Walter A. Hutchison hadn’t changed course, the ship could have easily be destroyed by the rocks.

evilone
Professor Guide
6.1.13  evilone  replied to  Kavika @6.1.12    4 years ago

There are some 350 known wrecks at the bottom of Lake Superior, but this wreck has not yet been found. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.14  Split Personality  replied to  evilone @6.1.13    4 years ago

It will ruin many a good old salts tales if it is found.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.15  Kavika   replied to  evilone @6.1.13    4 years ago
but this wreck has not yet been found. 

Aye, but the ship is a ''Ghost Ship'' and her Captain is Mishipeshu the Water Lynx. In the November squalls she can be seen sailing across Whitefish Bay heading NW towards Thunder Bay

At times she can be seen with the spirits guiding her around the Apostle Islands.

She'll never be found, lads. 

evilone
Professor Guide
6.1.16  evilone  replied to  Kavika @6.1.15    4 years ago
...but the ship is a ''Ghost Ship'' and her Captain is Mishipeshu the Water Lynx.

Mishipeshu the Underwater Panther is the most powerful of the beings from the underworld. He has the head and paws of the great cat and the scales and spines of the deepest Lake fish along his back and down his tail. He commands all the creatures of the water. 

I love these stories! I grew up on them.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.17  Kavika   replied to  evilone @6.1.16    4 years ago
I love these stories! I grew up on them.

My grandfather and grandmother used to tell me the stories in Ojibwe...It was wonderful and I love them to this day. 

Especially terrifying is the Windigo (Wiindigo, Wendigo) that one will still scare the crap out of people...LOL

evilone
Professor Guide
6.1.18  evilone  replied to  Kavika @6.1.17    4 years ago

One of our high school teachers would tell us Ojibwe stories and every now and then I would run across something in the library. I love me some Wedigo horror stories too!

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.20  Kavika   replied to  XDm9mm @6.1.19    4 years ago

Actually it is Ojibwe and it translates to ''Great Water/Sea''

If you think that Spanish/French are difficult languages try Ojibwe...LOL we have two alphabets, single vowel, and double vowel..That's just for starters... 

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     4 years ago

When the Wendigo was near there was a slight breeze but soon the temperature would drop and the breeze would turn to a howling wind, then all would be calm and the Windigo would come out of the mist for his human prey. 

The Wendigo was gaunt to the point of emaciation, its desiccated skin pulled tightly over its bones. With its bones pushing out against its skin, its complexion the ash-gray of death, and its eyes pushed back deep into their sockets, the Wendigo looked like a gaunt skeleton recently disinterred from the grave. What lips it had were tattered and bloody ... Unclean and suffering from suppuration of the flesh, the Wendigo gave off a strange and eerie odor of decay and decomposition, of death and corruption.

No one survived an attack by a Wendigo. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1  pat wilson  replied to  Kavika @7    4 years ago
What lips it had were tattered and bloody ... Unclean and suffering from suppuration of the flesh, the Wendigo gave off a strange and eerie odor of decay and decomposition, of death and corruption.

Sounds like a description of Weinstein.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Kavika   replied to  pat wilson @7.1    4 years ago
Sounds like a description of Weinstein.

Damn close. 

BTW we got a lot off topic here but I think that Weinstein is damn lucky to get 25 years. I wish that it was life without the possibility of parole.