╌>

Video shows police arresting 6-year-old girl at school

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  11 comments

By:   Ben Kesslen

Video shows police arresting 6-year-old girl at school
The child had zip put around her wrists as she cried and pleaded to be let go.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Newly released police body-camera video shows   an officer in Orlando, Florida, arresting a 6-year-old girl   who had zip ties put around her wrists at her school as she cried to be let go.

The video, which was provided Monday to   NBC affiliate WESH of Orlando   by the attorney for the child's family, shows the incident on Sept. 19, which resulted in the firing of Orlando police Officer Dennis Turner.

Turner was involved in the arrest of two 6-year-olds in one week   in September, among them the girl in the video. He was fired within days.

In the video, an officer is seen putting zip ties on the child's wrists with her arms behind her back as the girl asks "What are those for?" and then cries "Don't put handcuffs on" and "Help me, help me, please help me."

As she is walked outside, she wails "Please let me go" and "I don't want to go in the police car."

In a police report, authorities said police were responding to a report that the 6-year-old had "battered three staff members by kicking and punching them" at her school, the Lucious and Emma Nixon Academy in Orlando.

The child's grandmother has   previously told local media in Florida   that her granddaughter suffers from a sleep disorder that the family was working to resolve, which was why she was experiencing some behavioral issues.

The girl was charged with battery,   but the charges were not pursued , according to WESH.

The video shows that after the child was put in the back of the police car, Turner went back inside the school, where at least one employee is seen wiping away tears.

"Are the restraints, are they necessary?" another visibly upset school employee asks.

"Yes," the officer replies. "And if she was bigger, she would've been wearing regular handcuffs."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
1  DRHunk    4 years ago

ummm, speechless. On one hand the little girl needs to learn that type of behavior is  not appropriate and will result in punishment. on the other hand, that girl needs to learn that behavior is not appropriate nd will result in punishment.  No the cops should not have been involved, the parents needed to be called and the girl suspended or expelled from that school to return once the behavior was corrected.  The officer was doing hos job?? no, think he could have had a talk with her and it been more effective.

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.1  zuksam  replied to  DRHunk @1    4 years ago

You don't call the cops so they can talk, I'm sure the Teachers tried that. The kid was out of control and the Teachers couldn't handle her so the cops were called. I think it would have worked out just fine because the "arrest" certainly scared her but now I fear her family has reinforced her bad behavior by accusing the cop of wrongdoing. They should do a case study on this kid, they can keep letting her run wild and see where it leads her over the course of her life. Or they can use a little common sense and realize 10 minutes in cuffs while they're young is better than five years in prison when they're adults.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2  Freefaller    4 years ago

If ya can't do the time don't do the crime ;)

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
3  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    4 years ago

In a police report, authorities said police were responding to a report that the 6-year-old had "battered three staff members by kicking and punching them" at her school, the Lucious and Emma Nixon Academy in Orlando.

The child's grandmother has   previously told local media in Florida   that her granddaughter suffers from a sleep disorder that the family was working to resolve, which was why she was experiencing some behavioral issues.

The girl was charged with battery,   but the charges were not pursued , according to WESH.

School staff called police.  The officer didn't just show up looking to zip-tie the first 6-year-old he saw.  Had I behaved like that, I would be wearing orthopedic pants because my mom's foot would still be up my behind.

Also worthy of note:  This is a charter school.  This is a school that ranks lower than 98.1% of all other elementary schools in Florida, and ranks last among 149 elementary schools in the Orange School District.  

Now little missy knows that she can cry and play the victim card and get away with anything, although I'm pretty sure she already knew that.

evilone
Professor Guide
4  evilone    4 years ago

Who's at fault here? Everyone.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
6  Larry Hampton    4 years ago

I will withhold judgement on the child until more is known. There are many, many kids who have had utter miserable young home lives, that adversely affect their behavior. I'm not saying her behavior was ok; just, that there may very well be extenuating circumstances that we don't know about. I found this line interesting:

The child's grandmother has    previously told local media in Florida    that her granddaughter suffers from a sleep disorder that the family was working to resolve, which was why she was experiencing some behavioral issues.

Does the child live with her grandparents? It sounds like it. Why? Where are her parents?

Having had lottsa foster kids in our home, I can truthfully say that those who have never been there do not know what it's like to have your life ripped out from underneath you, before you even have a chance to live it. There may well be much more to this story.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
6.1  Drakkonis  replied to  Larry Hampton @6    4 years ago
There may well be much more to this story.

Thank you for being a voice of reason. News stories like this piss me off. Not because there's a six year old in zip ties, but because this is less about news and more about sensationalism. The story is simply about a six year old in handcuffs and nothing else, as if there couldn't possibly be any other relevant facts. Like you, I'd like a lot more information before making a judgement on anything. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

As a teacher in a tough inner-city school, we never called in the police when we had an out of control kid/ kids. First of all, all teachers were on guard for this and if another teacher had an incident like this, the kid would have been subdued by teachers till school security came. The kid would have been brought down to the office and parents brought in. 

I personally broke up fights between boys and they were 10 years old and not so little. So someone was not doing their job, IMHO. You don't arrest 5 year olds, unless they need a psych hold, in which case you call 911 for the proper help.

zuksam
Junior Silent
7.1  zuksam  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7    4 years ago

If you have Security then you don't need the police but not all schools have them. The Teachers could have restrained the kid but I have a feeling they were afraid, as they should be. One bruise or torn shirt could cost them their career. I'm sure NY has a strong Teachers Union and as long as you stay within the rules and have a witness they'll back you but not all school districts are so lucky. Public perceptions and outrage about a poor little 6 year old and the Politicians start to have knee jerk reactions. Add to that she was black and the Teacher may have been white and they'll make it out to be a race crime. If I were the Teacher I'd have let the cop deal with it, They have body cams and better legal protection. It's harder to reprimand a Cop than it is to fire a Teacher.