╌>

Trump HHS Secretary Won’t Promise a Coronavirus Vaccine Will Be Affordable for All

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  51 comments

Trump HHS Secretary Won’t Promise a Coronavirus Vaccine Will Be Affordable for All

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

On Wednesday Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar repeated President Donald Trump’s claim that a vaccine for the deadly, quick-spreading virus would be ready soon. Trump had actually appeared to suggest “very soon,” which is false.

But soon or very soon, it won’t be either for everyone.

Experts agree a coronavirus vaccine won’t be ready for the general population more than a year. And while many would assume that would mean it would be available for everyone, HHS Secretary Azar has something different in mind.

What Sec. Azar has in mind should come as no surprise, given that Azar once was president of a top major pharmaceutical company, a division of Eli Lilly and Company.

Here’s U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-IL) questioning Secretary Azar Wednesday, only to find out the Trump administration will not ensure a coronavirus vaccine is affordable to all.

SCHAKOWSKY: “You’re saying that it will, for sure, be affordable for anyone who needs it.”

AZAR: “I’m saying we would want to ensure that we work to make it affordable, but we can’t control that price, because we need the private sector to invest…Price controls won’t get us there.”

In other words, the companies that can create vaccines fast enough get to set the prices. And Azar is saying the federal government will not make sure everyone can afford it.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago
wJlMC4r-_bigger.png
Matt Rogers   1f399.png @Politidope

How the hell do we call ourselves a civilized society when the President of the United States says every American won't be able to afford the vaccine for the current pandemic?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

Absolutely dumbfounding.  He says so much dumb shit, it's hard to keep up.

It should have no cost to avoid a potential pandemic.  

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    4 years ago

POS/POTUS took an oath to defend and protect the health and general welfare of all US citizens, although administration foot dragging in response to a global pandemic, and making sure the poor can't afford the vaccine and die, sounds like a solid republican re-election strategy for 2020. if that happens, some people may need to be more concerned about just virus germs flying thru the air towards them in this country. witness the riots over returning corona virus patients in other countries this week, as well as our past history with small pox, cholera, influenza, scarlet fever, and several other air and water borne virus victims in the last 300+ years

as the ice caps melt due to global warming, viral microbes frozen in the ice for centuries that humans have no resistance to now, will continue to disperse and mutate into the food chain. global pandemics will become more and more common. the big 3 events of possible human extinction in order of the size of threat are...

1. large meteor strike = everyone
  2. global pandemic = almost everyone
  3. nuclear war = all but those protected, temporarily...

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1.2  Tacos!  replied to  devangelical @1.1.1    4 years ago
POS/POTUS took an oath to defend and protect the health and general welfare of all US citizens

The president's oath doesn't say anything about that.

although administration foot dragging in response to a global pandemic

Health officials have repeatedly said that it is not yet a pandemic. So, what is it you think the president should be doing that he isn't?

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.1.3  KDMichigan  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.2    4 years ago
So, what is it you think the president should be doing that he isn't?

Does it really matter what he does? The TDS sufferers will complain regardless. He Implemented travel restrictions and they cried about that. There is nothing that people won't stoop to complain about Trump.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1.4  Snuffy  replied to  devangelical @1.1.1    4 years ago
although administration foot dragging in response to a global pandemic

Setting up the task force to manage this back in January doesn't seem like foot dragging to me.

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.2  squiggy  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

“... given that Azar once was president of a top major pharmaceutical company...”

Oh, so there are experts behind Trump. You just don’t like the crystal ball image of an undeveloped work. The left is a kid screaming from the back seat, “Are we there yet?”

lady in black
Professor Quiet
2  lady in black    4 years ago

Worst president and administration in the history of this country.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

When the pharma companies don't have enough employees because they're all at home sick in bed...they may rethink their prices.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    4 years ago

What is he supposed to say? Does he have the authority to determine what a specific medicine will cost? I don't think so. So why be outraged that he doesn't make a promise he has no control over?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @4    4 years ago

Controlling a pandemic within the US should not be a profit making enterprise. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    4 years ago

Do you want HHS to lie to you to make you feel good? Or do you want the administration to act illegally?

Which one are you advocating for?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.1    4 years ago

neither

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.3    4 years ago

What authority  does the President have to set product prices?   

Cathar
Freshman Silent
4.1.6  Cathar  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.1    4 years ago

A false choice, I want the Administration to provide a vaccine for all Americans and if they have to remove their tax gift to the 1% so be it.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.7  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    4 years ago
Controlling a pandemic within the US should not be a profit making enterprise. 

Who is going to do the work for free? You?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.1    4 years ago
'Or do you want the administration to act illegally?'

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

They've had no problems with that for about 3-1/2 years now.  

Y'all are so funny

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Sean Treacy  replied to  Cathar @4.1.6    4 years ago

I'll ask again, what power does the President have to compel any of this?

Not that its' relevant, but Congress is the one that would have to "remove the gift tax."

This thread demonstrates some real lack of knowledge from the complainers about the actual Powers of the Presidency and the seperation of powers.

By all means, point to what statute gives the President unilateral power to force companies to produce a vaccine for free?

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.11  Ender  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.9    4 years ago

When I was a kid I remember having to stand in line and get free immunizations in public school.

So I would say there is a precedent.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.12  Sean Treacy  replied to    4 years ago

I agree with you you said. To start, we have to understand what legal powers the President and Congress actually have.  We should be talking about realistic solutions that are legal, rather than simply demanding crimes be committed or the President give false assurances so people feel better.  

This is obviously an exercise in blame the President, reality be damned. Once we get past the partisan blame game, actual, legal solutions can be discussed. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.13  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ender @4.1.11    4 years ago

Most immunization programs are run by the states, but I'd be curious what law grants the President the authority to confiscate vaccinations from companies and distribute them for free?  I don't know of any precedent allowing the President to do that it's certainly not how any vaccination program I'm aware of works.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.14  Ender  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.13    4 years ago

Federal Programs

Federal funds pay for approximately 95 percent of all publicly funded vaccinations. The two sources of federal funds are:

The Vaccines for Children Program (VFC) provides free vaccines for children who are uninsured, Medicaid-eligible, underinsured (if receiving immunizations in a federally qualified health center or rural health clinic), Native American or Alaska Native. According to the US Department of Health and Human Services , the Vaccines for Children program cost $4.3 billion in 2017.

Section 317 of the Public Health Services Act  is a federal program administered by the CDC and provides grants to states and territories, commonwealth trusts, and several cities for vaccine purchase and programs such as outreach and disease surveillance. The Affordable Care Act (ACA) reauthorizes the Section 317 grant program. Under section 317, prior to enactment of the ACA, states could purchase only recommended childhood immunizations; however, the ACA authorizes states to purchase recommended vaccines for adults as well. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services secretary can negotiate and contract with vaccine manufacturers, allowing states to receive adult vaccines at a negotiated price and provide these vaccines to adults in their immunization programs.

State Programs

The majority of states depend primarily on federal resources to purchase vaccines. However, federal programs do not cover all children, so many states supplement these funds. 

Link

The government should be working themselves or in concert for these kind of things.

Not everything needs to be or should be privatized.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.16  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ender @4.1.14    4 years ago

This allows the feds to purchase immunizations, not seize them and give them away.  Those are two different things and involve two seperate branches of government.

It's up to Congress to allocate funds for whatever extraordinary costs a coronavirus may entail.  The President can't order companies to give the vaccines to the US government. Nor can the President spend more than Congress allocates. 

Congress controls the purse strings, and it's up to them to provide the money for a vaccination giveaway.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.17  Ender  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.16    4 years ago

Apparently he can move money around which is what he wants to do.

The feds can set prices for what they will pay for in bulk. Imo it would be no different than them setting prices for Medicare.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.18  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.7    4 years ago

I am astonished by your question. 

Last I knew police departments and fire departments are not for profit. 

And believe me, they dont work for free. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5  bbl-1    4 years ago

Gosh, the Trump Administration is not only clueless, but it is also clueless.  The Polio Vaccine was not affordable for all either, but the American people received the vaccine anyway

because it was 'the moral' thing to do.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1  Tacos!  replied to  bbl-1 @5    4 years ago
the American people received the vaccine anyway

Let's not overstate it. It's not like it's free. Salk refused to patent his vaccine, but it wasn't even the only vaccine out there (nor even the first). A few years after his vaccine was released, it was generally replaced by others.

Also, the circumstances are different. Salk - like others - spent years developing the vaccine on his own and then tested it on himself and his kids. With coronavirus, people are wanting a vaccine right this damned minute.

Whoever develops it, if they want to not patent it, God bless them. But I certainly don't expect it.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
6  lady in black    4 years ago

Coronavirus 101: What You Need to Know

Dr Brahm Segal, Chief of Infectious Diseases at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center, to share his knowledge of the virus.

Dr. Segal: "COVID-19 is a lot more aggressive than the Flu"

I trust this doctor from Roswell over anything this POS administration has uttered regarding this virus.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1  Tacos!  replied to  lady in black @6    4 years ago

Is that contrary to something someone in the administration said?

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
8  Larry Hampton    4 years ago

No worries; rump will get China to pay for the vaccine /s/.

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8.1  bbl-1  replied to  Larry Hampton @8    4 years ago

Or Mexico.

Cathar
Freshman Silent
8.1.1  Cathar  replied to  bbl-1 @8.1    4 years ago

No he will come up with a ban on Mexican Corona beer stating it caused the plague.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
8.1.2  Larry Hampton  replied to  Cathar @8.1.1    4 years ago

Lol, that sounds about right!

Ender
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Ender  replied to  Cathar @8.1.1    4 years ago

No ! Hush now, don't give him any ideas. That is my favorite beer.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8.1.4  bbl-1  replied to  Ender @8.1.3    4 years ago

Mine too.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2  Tacos!  replied to  Larry Hampton @8    4 years ago
get China to pay for the vaccine

The way they responded (or didn't respond) to this thing as it developed, that doesn't seem like such an unreasonable idea.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
8.2.1  Larry Hampton  replied to  Tacos! @8.2    4 years ago

Well put that on the list of president rump's retarded ideas, right beside Mexico paying for the wall.

Cathar
Freshman Silent
9  Cathar    4 years ago

No Worries! With "Pray the Gay Away" Pence in charge I am sure he will utilize divine intervention as a cure along with bloodletting.  Only the rich can afford the vaccine if and when it is available. The only Prophets the GOP and their Matthew 23 Christians believe in is profit.

Ender
Professor Principal
10  Ender    4 years ago

He also wants to pay for combating the virus by taking money from the poor...

Or at least, that’s my best guess as to why the Trump administration has, (1) spent the  past several weeks refusing to endorse new spending  on  coronavirus preparation , despite the pleas of lawmakers in both parties for action, and (2) is still holding up funding for the imminent public health crisis by  insisting on offsetting a small fraction  of the emergency appropriation with a $37 million cut to home heating aid for the poor.

Low-income Americans in frigid regions of the country aren’t the only victims of the administration’s arbitrary penny-pinching. The White House is also calling for $535 million cut to funding for Ebola virus treatment and containment — despite the fact that the Republic of Congo is still battling an Ebola epidemic. The administration’s insistence on financing the fight against one epidemic disease with cuts to funding for the containment of a different epidemic disease — so as to avoid increasing the federal budget by .01 percent — is emblematic of this White House’s goldfish-esque lack of foresight: Since taking office, President   Trump has   tried to slash national health spending by   $15 billion ; cut the disease-fighting budgets of DHS, NSC, HHS, and CDC; allowed the ranks of the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps to steadily erode (after trying and failing to shrink its budget by 40 percent); eliminated the federal government’s   $30 million   Complex Crises Fund; and shut down the National Security Council’s   entire global health security unit .

There is no rational explanation for the administration’s current position. The coronavirus represents   a massive political liability for Trump,   not least because of how indefensible his previous bouts of penny-pinching on public health now appear. There is no mass constituency for prioritizing opposition to infinitesimal increases in the national debt over pandemic prevention. In fact, many congressional   Republicans   were alarmed by the austerity of Trump’s proposal.

Link

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11  Tacos!    4 years ago

The president has already asked Congress for money, and several members of both parties seem prepared to give even more than he asked for and the president said he would be glad to get it. Finally, everybody can agree on something.

I assume that money would go toward research, development, and dissemination of any vaccine.

Will it be free? I would expect that for some people, the answer is yes, especially the poor and elderly who already tend to have pretty complete coverage. The rest of us will probably have some kind of co-pay. If they are going to be making a lot of it (and I assume they are), it stands to reason that the per-unit cost will be relatively low. Government subsidy would obviously make it even cheaper.