╌>

Political Talk Show Host Chris Matthews Abruptly Retires

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  47 comments

Political Talk Show Host Chris Matthews Abruptly Retires

MSNBC host Chris Matthews announced on his program this evening that he is quitting his evening program effective immediately. He said tonight's program is his last show. 

Although he didnt mention it specifically, it appears Matthews has been forced out by his MSNBC bosses after recent comments he has made about Bernie Sanders and Nazis.  There was also a recent story in the news about Matthews inappropriate behavior toward a female guest in 2016.

Hardball has been a staple of MSNBC early evening for 20 years. 

th?id=ON.A650B70ABFD50CBA3240E867C173415

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago
Matthews opened his program with the announcement he was ending his run on the political hour that he started in 1997.

In a first-person story for GQ published Feb. 28 , freelance journalist Laura Bassett said Matthews behaved inappropriately toward her when she was guest on his show.

“In 2016, right before I had to go on his show and talk about sexual-assault allegations against Donald Trump, Matthews looked over at me in the makeup chair next to him and said, ‘Why haven’t I fallen in love with you yet?’ When I laughed nervously and said nothing, he followed up to the makeup artist. ‘Keep putting makeup on her, I’ll fall in love with her,’” Bassett wrote. “Another time, he stood between me and the mirror and complimented the red dress I was wearing for the segment. ‘You going out tonight?’ he asked.”

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  Texan1211    4 years ago

Sounds like Obama wasn't the only one who gave old Chris a tingle up his leg!!

squiggy
Junior Silent
3  squiggy    4 years ago

Bye.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago
Matthews, 74, has been a staple of MSNBC's political coverage almost since the cable channel launched in the mid 1990s. Through all of the channel's changes and rebrandings, he has been a familiar face.

But he has been in the news for all the wrong reasons lately — for likening the Bernie Sanders campaign to the Nazis, for misidentifying an African American politician, and for allegedly making sexist comments to a guest.

When Sanders took an early lead in the Nevada caucuses last month, Matthews likened the moment to Nazi Germany invading France during World War II. Aides to Sanders, a Jewish presidential candidate, expressed shock at the analogy.

Verbal gaffes by Matthews have also caused embarrassment within MSNBC.

Claims of inappropriate conduct have also trailed Matthews. Last week GQ columnist Laura Bassett accused Matthews of making sexist remarks about the way she was dressed when she was a guest on "Hardball" in 2016.

Last Friday night, Matthews mixed up Lindsey Graham's primary opponent Jaime Harrison with Graham's Republican Senate colleague Tim Scott. "Big mistake," he said, when his guests awkwardly corrected him.

The person with knowledge of the situation said Matthews has been in conversation with MSNBC executives about his retirement date for a period of months.

But the talks "accelerated," this person said, after the recent controversies.

Matthews was expected to retire after this election cycle.

squiggy
Junior Silent
4.1  squiggy  replied to  JohnRussell @4    4 years ago

He’s just pissed he didn’t get a medal.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  squiggy @4.1    4 years ago

He’s just pissed he didn’t get a medal.

that would be Trump

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.  

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
6  MonsterMash    4 years ago

For once Matthews was right when he compared Bernie Sanders to the Nazis, for that he got fired.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
7  The Magic 8 Ball    4 years ago
 after recent comments he has made about Bernie Sanders and Nazis.

he'd have gotten a  raise after saying that about trump.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8  bbl-1    4 years ago

Didn't see this coming.  Strange. 

Hannity is still standing though.  Michael Cohen  had three clients.   Donald J. Trump, Elliot Broidy and Sean Hannity.  It is established what Cohen did for Trump and Broidy.  So, what did he do for Hannity?

squiggy
Junior Silent
8.1  squiggy  replied to  bbl-1 @8    4 years ago
So, what did he do for Hannity?          Strange.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  squiggy @8.1    4 years ago

I don't know what he did for Hannity.  I only know what he did for Trump and Broidy.  Maybe Cohen did a real estate deal for Hannity.  Or maybe something else.  Cohen knows and so does Hannity.

CB
Professor Principal
9  CB    4 years ago

Something was bound to happen to such long-lived "institutions," as people like Chris Matthews become. These people have accumulated great smarts and researched histories making them academics, and talked to a career load of interesting and informed people across the world. It simply gets stupidly harder to pretend for an hour a day, that something patently ridiculous or damaging is needful and to be desired.

Chris Matthews worked over-long past their "purposes" date. Then, the meetings, the long hours, the flights, the tireness in body and overuse of the mind.

'Everything' has been done χ number of times. And, yet they are programmed to deal with a new generation of communicators. It's too much. These people need to retire and move on out to 'pasture.' It simply is not worth it for them to try to cross so many lines of authority, leadership, and trends in broadcasting.

Wolf Blitzer on CNN is another one due for retirement. They have done so much through their dedication to news and shows. Say those goodbyes. Leave "the dance." Greet the newcomers a fond farewell!

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
9.1  KDMichigan  replied to  CB @9    4 years ago
These people have accumulated great smarts and researched histories making them academics,

If being a Academic means sexually harassing women then old Mr. Tingle down his leg Mathews meets the qualifications.

The one claim is from a woman that claims it happened when she appeared on a episode about Trumps harassment of Women. freaking Hillaryious.

They have done so much through their dedication to news and shows

Yeah because being a left-wing hack is such a feat. Good-bye to a hate filled proglib who has spewed his BS one to many times.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
9.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  KDMichigan @9.1    4 years ago

And a right wing hack is not a feat?

CB
Professor Principal
9.1.2  CB  replied to  KDMichigan @9.1    4 years ago

You're exposed yourself for everyone to see and conclude their own commentary. No further comment needed.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
9.1.3  KDMichigan  replied to  bbl-1 @9.1.1    4 years ago

I think the seed is about Mr. Tingle down his leg Mathews, let me check......Yup it's about Mathews, 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
9.1.4  KDMichigan  replied to  CB @9.1.2    4 years ago

With comments like that I wouldn't comment anymore either.

CB
Professor Principal
9.1.5  CB  replied to  KDMichigan @9.1.4    4 years ago

I rest my case. You are free to 'mount' yours any way you want!

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
9.1.6  KDMichigan  replied to  CB @9.1.5    4 years ago

removed for context

CB
Professor Principal
9.1.7  CB  replied to  KDMichigan @9.1.6    4 years ago

And Chris Matthew's comment about tingling is supposed to disturb me how? I actually heard him say it on set that day. Of course, it was on my television. Here if you need further proof:

Chris Matthews' thrill up leg

So there it was. The 'verse.' In its first iteration. I heard his say it that day and I can remember thinking: Really, Chris? Did you just go there? And then Chris said, "No seriously, it's a dramatic event. . . ." Of course, some of us know Chris is a happily married man with grown children and a passion for historic moments in history and in the news as they occur. Of course, these "elephants" we are surrounded by with their long-est memory won't let him live it down.

But, I didn't get a thrill that day, though it was a great speech clip! Mine came much later on, you know? Betcha can't guess when!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
10  Tacos!    4 years ago

I can’t help but wonder if this an overreaction or something that was long overdue. What was so urgent, I wonder, that it had to happen right this minute?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
11  igknorantzrulz    4 years ago

very weak

something else is out there

CB
Professor Principal
11.1  CB  replied to  igknorantzrulz @11    4 years ago

Could be Igknorantzrulz. These television figures have been through many eras of being before the public. And, they are only human too. We can all pick a day of the week when we come unglued and 'turn our hats sideways' and just thank our lucky stars there was no television camera, hot mic, or even cellphone camera with 'quad-effect' around to catch us whispering our obscenities.  (Smile.)

No such luck for those who live on cutting edge electronic technology for a living.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
11.1.2  KDMichigan  replied to  CB @11.1    4 years ago

That's funny because I don't have to worry about being accused of sexual harassment. Seems like Mr. Tingle down his leg lives in a glass house. 

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.3  CB  replied to  dennis smith @11.1.1    4 years ago

True, the risks parallel the rewards. I am confident you agree with risks/rewards models. But that is really not my point with Matthews. My point is many of these folks stay in the dance getting saturated (drowning) in the love of their patrons over the many years. Thus, they fall prey to time, itself, weakening their professional and personal discipline. And that is when a charge comes that taints their reputation or record ahead of departure/retirement.

For example, there is another successful person beyond measure that comes to mind; "Judge Judy" Sheindlin, is putting her lifelong professional reputation at risk. She does not seem to know/discern that after so many years on television some of those persons who come on her show-don't really care about their case outcomes. They are showing up with a motive to bait her into saying something stern/nasty/career ending. It is better to realize what is happening and just retire without letting some loser make a 'rep' or compromise her stated reason for retiring. Sorry, Judge Judy, to make you my example! It happens everyday somewhere on the planet that someone tries to make a name for themselves by screwing up someone else.

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.4  CB  replied to  KDMichigan @11.1.2    4 years ago

Okay, and in the scheme of this discussion you and me are what exactly? I'll wait until you get back on point.

lib50
Professor Silent
12  lib50    4 years ago

Time for the old guys to step down and let the young and the female take over.  Chris was another old white guy who couldn't get out of the old ways.  Epitome of old boomer. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
12.1  Sparty On  replied to  lib50 @12    4 years ago

Ah yes, a good old dose of "acceptable" racial misandry dished up from the left.   Ageist as well for the perfect trifecta of hate.

Gotta love the hypocrisy of it all ......

CB
Professor Principal
12.1.1  CB  replied to  Sparty On @12.1    4 years ago

Y'all got a goodly amount of "overstaters" and "overachievers" on the conservative side too that can stand pasturing. LOL!

lib50
Professor Silent
12.1.2  lib50  replied to  Sparty On @12.1    4 years ago
Ageist as well for the perfect trifecta of hate.

Oh, I didn't know you liked Chris Matthews.  I never said I hated him.   I liked him well enough for years, but his attitude over women has turned me off for a while now.   Also, please don't pretend to even know what hate is when you defend Trump's bullying and hate spewing every time.

I'm a boomer, so obvious I'm in a certain age group considered OLD, so how the hell is it ageist to complain about bad behavior from an old man?  Boomer is a cloudy old state of mind that seems part of that generation now,  although even younguns can have boomer mentality.   If one thinks its an insult, perhaps there is a reason.   I don't get bothered because I know what they mean.  Get out the old farts before they younger generations don't have a chance to fix their mistakes.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
12.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  lib50 @12.1.2    4 years ago
Oh, I didn't know you liked Chris Matthews.

Never said one way or the other.   You were the one who made the comment not me.

Also, please don't pretend to even know what hate is when you defend Trump's bullying and hate spewing every time.

Words have meaning and i know hateful words when i see them.   You clearly have a chip on your shoulders towards old, white men.   Lie to me again and deny it.

I'm a boomer, so obvious I'm in a certain age group considered OLD, so how the hell is it ageist to complain about bad behavior from an old man?

Oh i see, you are old, so you are free to bag on other old people without consequence?   Hilarious!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
12.2  Tacos!  replied to  lib50 @12    4 years ago
Time for the old guys to step down and let the young and the female take over.

Cuz there's no (or not enough) young females working at MSNBC? 

lib50
Professor Silent
12.2.1  lib50  replied to  Tacos! @12.2    4 years ago

I was talking about taking over in general.   Pretty obvious men have totally effed up most things. Men are so comfortable lording their power over women they about ready to take away their rights to their own bodies and choices.  That would not be happening if women actually HAD the power. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
12.2.2  Sparty On  replied to  lib50 @12.2.1    4 years ago

Since we are apparently generalizing here this is my experience.   I've worked with some very effective women over the years but generally speaking i've found they have a hard time handling authority.   The cat fights and misuse of power being prevalent in many cases.

That said if we look at effective managers as a percentage of the management pool i doubt its much different.   There are more men screwing up because there are more men in the management pool.   Percentage wise i bet the bad ones are pretty close in numbers between men and women.

But then again i don't have a chip on shoulders towards women like lots of women have towards men.    To me its about the best person for the job.   Man, woman, black, white, etc ..... i don't care.   I want, i need the best person for the job no matter what and that is what i look for.   Anyone who doesn't is only hurting themselve.