╌>

Pentagon chief warned overseas commanders not to surprise White House on coronavirus measures: report

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  40 comments

Pentagon chief warned overseas commanders not to surprise White House on coronavirus measures: report
The commander in chief has also sought to downplay the virus’s impact on financial markets and claimed on Monday night that “Washington Democrats are trying to politicize the coronavirus.” But in the Defense Department, military leaders are scrambling to make sure their troops are protected.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Defense Secretary   Mark Esper   asked overseas military commanders to not to make any coronavirus-related decisions that could surprise the White House or contradict   President Trump ’s statements on the illness,  The New York Times reported .

Esper gave the directive last week during a video teleconference call with U.S. combatant commanders based overseas, telling the military leaders that they should check back with the Pentagon before making any moves to help shield U.S. forces from COVID-19, defense officials told The Times.

The Trump administration has  sought to ease concerns about the virus , with the president insisting last week that the virus is under control.

As of Monday, there are more than 100 known coronavirus cases in 15 states, with six deaths in Washington state. 

Trump has since changed his messaging, saying that health officials expect more cases but that there was no reason to panic. 

The commander in chief has also sought to downplay the virus’s impact on financial markets and  claimed on Monday night  that “Washington Democrats are trying to politicize the coronavirus.”

But in the Defense Department,  military leaders are scrambling  to make sure their troops are protected.

In the past week the department has canceled a joint military exercise with South Korea and in Israel, restricted access to public areas at Army installations in Italy, ordered a stop to nonessential travel in Saudi Arabia and the Gulf region, and directed all ships that have visited countries in the Pacific region to remain at sea for 14 days.

Though only one active-duty soldier has tested positive for the virus in South Korea, more than 75,000 U.S. forces are in countries that are experiencing outbreaks.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Trump is the deep state he has warned himself against. 

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.2  squiggy  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

Not really. These higher-level assholes expect the built-in deniability that the chain-of-command offers yet don't mind publicly blind-siding the boss. Make a dick out of Esper and it's time for Shady Pines.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2  Just Jim NC TttH    4 years ago

Mr. Trump is doing what he sees as a good thing..............

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1  Ender  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2    4 years ago

I call it pandering.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2    4 years ago

Let's agree that Trump has one billion dollars of net worth.  When he gives 100,000 dollars to charity, that is the same thing as someone with the median U.S. net worth ($97,000) giving  $9.70  to charity.  (1/10,000)

He wants praise for donating 1/10,000 of his wealth to fight coronavirus? 

Hip hip hooray !

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2    4 years ago

why would anyone be criticized for a fucking donation???

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    4 years ago

I guess for the same reason someone is praised for giving 1/10,000 of their money. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.2.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    4 years ago
why would anyone be criticized for a fucking donation???

when he considers our tax dollars to be his personal enrichment foundation

donations, was banned from operating a charity, as he profitted from it, guy ?

is that why you might inquire about an inquiry kinda material ?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.2    4 years ago
I guess for the same reason someone is praised for giving 1/10,000 of their money. 

Where in this thread has anyone praised Trump?

Unless pointing out a fact is praise to you because of your extreme Trump bias?

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.5  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.4    4 years ago
extreme Trump bias?

Or otherwise known as extreme TDS. If they deny it, they suffer from it.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.2.6  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.4    4 years ago

i'd appraise his ass sets as a worthless than more worth while causes 

some to be ill

conceived 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.2.7  igknorantzrulz  replied to  bugsy @2.2.5    4 years ago

Or otherwise known as extreme TDS. If they deny it, they suffer from it.

did you come up with that one  ?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.8  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.4    4 years ago

didnt someone put up a link saying trump donated his quarterly salary?  what does that have to do with the seed?

im glad he donated some money, but its not notable.  Its 1/10,000th  of his money. 

do you want to drop the subject or do you want me to say it again ? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.8    4 years ago
didnt someone put up a link saying trump donated his quarterly salary?  what does that have to do with the seed?

Yes, they did. You brought up praising Trump in post 2.2.2.

I asked who praised Trump for you to bring it up.

im glad he donated some money, but its not notable.  Its 1/10,000th  of his money. 

As a President who has donated his salary, it is notable. Not many Presidents have ever done that.

do you want to drop the subject or do you want me to say it again ? 

Sure, I can easily drop the topic YOU brought up but no longer wish to discuss. No problem!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.10  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.9    4 years ago

Never fucking mind. I'm not going to humor you all night. 

Trump donated 1/10000 th of his money (based on him being a billionaire).  Whoop de do. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.11  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.10    4 years ago
Trump donated 1/10000 th of his money (based on him being a billionaire).

yes, you have posted that already.

Whoop de do. 

yeah, doesn't seem like a big deal to me, which made me wonder why it was worth bringing up by you to start with.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.2.12  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.11    4 years ago

Who do you believe, Trump, or all the public health professionals? For example, if the CDC says one thing, and Trump says the opposite, in all honesty whose advice will you take? And I mean like your life is on the line. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.2.13  1stwarrior  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    4 years ago

If your name is Trump - he's fair game to a number of whiners on NT.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.2.14  1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.10    4 years ago

Yeah - and he DONATES his Presidential salary each pay period.

Four presidents refused a salary. Instead, they donated all or part of it.

• Donald J. Trump donates his $400,000 annual salary to various federal departments. Trump's net worth  is $3.1 billion, according to Forbes.
    • John F. Kennedy donated his $100,000 salary to charity.  He retained the $50,000 entertainment allowance. Kennedy inherited a multimillion-dollar trust fund. He had also donated his salary while serving 14 years in Congress.
    • Herbert Hoover  divided his salary between various charities. He gave some of it to his staff. Hoover's net worth was around $4 million in 1913, worth $103 million today.
      George Washington donated his $25,000 salary. He used some of it for travel expenses. He needed a special chariot to take him through the rugged roads of the South. He had also foregone a salary while he was our nation's military commander.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    4 years ago
Trump has since changed his messaging

Our information has changed, too. Now we know we have community transfer of the virus. Before, experts assumed that for someone to be infected, they either had to be traveling from China or have been in close contact with someone who had. Now we have people infected in the U.S. and we don't know how they were infected. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Tacos! @3    4 years ago

Damn Democratic Hoaxes !

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4  Thrawn 31    4 years ago

Awesome,

The pussy in chief is so sensitive to bad news that our troops should become hotbeds of infection and the alarm shouldn't be sounded.