╌>

Multiple Washington state school districts shut down over corona virus fears

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  68 comments

Multiple Washington state school districts shut down over corona virus fears

Northshore School District, announced that  it will be closed Thursday  and for up to 14 days, after a Woodmoor Elementary School parent volunteer tested presumptive positive for the virus. ....The closure affects 33 schools and over 23,000 students. 
https://mynorthwest.com/1750018/thursday-coronavirus-school-closures-puget-sound-region/

Numerous school districts in northwest Washington state  have closed, in at least one case for two weeks,  in response to fears of coronavirus in the region. The closures effect tens of thousands of students and their families. 

It is expected that the nation will begin to see tangible negative effects as the scope of the virus spread becomes clearer. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Meanwhile Trump says matter of factly that people with the virus are  "going to work"  and getting better. 

Health care professionals are aghast that Trrump is suggesting that it might be proper to go to work while sick. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago
At the time I sent my letter last night, there were 21 confirmed cases of the COVID-19 coronavirus in King County, including eight deaths; there were six cases in Snohomish County, including one death. Today, the  Washington State Department of Health website  says the number of confirmed cases in King County is 31 with 10 deaths. Keep in mind that just six days ago, there was only one known COVID-19 coronavirus case and no known deaths. As our district straddles both counties and three cities, we are impacted by the collective data. 

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3  katrix    4 years ago

And now the Idiot In Chief is claiming to his idolaters on Fox that his "hunch" tells him that the 3.4% fatality rate reported by the WHO is wrong.

And he's denying that he said people with mild cases should go to work.

This is the kind of thing people should think about before they vote - a megalomaniac who hates facts and experts is not the person we need in charge for something like this. All he cares about is pretending that it's not a threat, and that is a very dangerous approach.

Obama made a great comment yesterday - a very Presidential comment - which any President other than Trump would have already done.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  katrix @3    4 years ago
And he's denying that he said people with mild cases should go to work.

But Trump never lies , or so say his supporters. 

What Trump said was that many people with the virus are going to work and getting better. 

There is video of him saying this. 

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1.1  katrix  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    4 years ago

He left out the part about how if they do that, they'll infect other people. But then, it's not as though he gives a shit if Americans die.

A man who thinks we're born with a specific amount of energy and that exercising takes away that energy - instead of realizing that exercising actually helps us live longer - is clearly unqualified for anything related to health.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.3  devangelical  replied to    4 years ago

maybe we should ask the albino asshole to pray trump away

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  devangelical @3.1.3    4 years ago

[deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.5  devangelical  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.4    4 years ago

what's the word for those intolerant of bible thumping morons that can't grasp the Constitutional concepts of equality and a secular government?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.6  It Is ME  replied to  devangelical @3.1.5    4 years ago
what's the word for those intolerant of bible thumping morons that can't grasp the Constitutional concepts of equality and a secular government?

Democrat ?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @3.1.5    4 years ago

More than one, but "anti-religious zealot" comes to mind.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.6    4 years ago
Democrat ?

How about intolerant idiots?

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.10  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.9    4 years ago
How about intolerant idiots?

... more like American patriots, and defenders of the US Constitution...

thump thump thump,

and wind up at the dump.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @3.1.10    4 years ago

LMMFAO!

Patriots? Defending the Constitution?

HAHAHAHHHHHAHAAAHAAHAHAHA!

Whoo BOY that's a good one!

Got any more good jokes?

Patriots…...LOL!!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4  It Is ME    4 years ago

"Northshore School District, announced that  it will be closed Thursday  and for up to 14 days"

Better self safe than sorry !

They will make up the lost days come summer !

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @4    4 years ago

Trump says they don't have to

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @4.1    4 years ago
Trump says they don't have to

That's a True statement. They Don't have to do anything !

Should Trump have told everyone in this country to "Shutter the Windows" and "Lock the Doors" instead.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.1    4 years ago

no

he already told them to go to work sick with the virus...

what a complete asinine statement.

he is unhinged with all the screws loose door knob confusing windows with peoples in doors

what a hunch, huh ?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @4.1.2    4 years ago
he already told them to go to work sick with the virus...

He didn't tell them to "Go to Work".

He said: "many people with mild coronavirus symptoms could still go to work and get better."

Another True statement !

People go to work with Influenza (In the U.S. alone, the flu has caused an estimated 32 million illnesses, 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 deaths this season), Colds (A corona virus), etc.....ALL THE TIME !

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.3    4 years ago

How would you like it if those 'many people with mild corona virus symptoms' going to work and infecting you and yours?  Your children?  Your grandchildren?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.4    4 years ago
How would you like it if those 'many people with mild corona virus symptoms' going to work and infecting you and yours?  Your children?  Your grandchildren?

People running around with Colds.....Influenza...... isn't troubling to you, your Children...…. YOUR GRANDCHILDREN ?

Happens everyday of our lives.

Hot Toddy's do a great job ! Adults, Kids and Grandkids sleep really well. Get better sooner. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.5    4 years ago

Nonsense, as usual.  That's all you got.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.6    4 years ago
Nonsense, as usual. 

So....Folks running around with simple Influenza, which has already killed MORE people in THIS country this year, than this coronathingy…..doesn't bother you ?

I feel bad for your Kids and Grandkids !

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1.8  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.7    4 years ago

u obviously know more than the doctors and scientists asz well

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.9  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @4.1.8    4 years ago
u obviously know more than the doctors and scientists asz well

Sorry for not being as "Knowledgeable" as YOU !

Thank God ! jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.5    4 years ago

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A COLD, THE FLU, AND A VIRUS

CORONA IS A VIRUS, NOT, A DIFFERENT FLU

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.11  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.10    4 years ago
HERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A COLD, THE FLU, AND A VIRUS

Whaaaaaaaat ?

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.1.12  KDMichigan  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.10    4 years ago
THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A COLD, THE FLU, AND A VIRUS CORONA IS A VIRUS, NOT, A DIFFERENT FLU

And you make fun of President Trump? The 'Flu' which is short for Influenza is a virus. 

Your welcome.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.13  Trout Giggles  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1.12    4 years ago

they are different types of viruses. Influenza has different strains of virus that cause illness. Why do you think you have to get a flu shot every year.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
4.1.14  katrix  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.13    4 years ago

Don't worry about it. It Is Me claims that Hot Toddies will take care of it. Let's hope for his sake that if he gets it, he doesn't follow his own advice.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.15  Trout Giggles  replied to  katrix @4.1.14    4 years ago

My head is starting to hurt from all the STOOPID I've been reading in this seed.

go to work if you have a mild case of COVID-19? So I guess you don't care if the person in the next cubicle who is days away from retirement gets it.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.1.16  KDMichigan  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.13    4 years ago

Yes? What did I say? Are you saying the Flu is not a Virus? 

Try looking at what I responded to.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A COLD, THE FLU, AND A VIRUS

Again, The Flu is a virus.No if, ands, or buts are going to change that fact.

Why do you think you have to get a flu shot every year.

I'm well aware of why, That still doesn't change the fact the flu is a virus, the cold is a virus and Corona is a virus.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.17  Trout Giggles  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1.16    4 years ago

There's no need to talk at me like that. I was not nasty to you so there's no need for you to be nasty back.

I know they are all viruses. I was trying to explain that they are all different kinds of viruses and that the flu has various strains. I never said that the flu is not a virus.

They are different.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.1.18  KDMichigan  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.17    4 years ago
there's no need for you to be nasty back.

I think you read to much into my comment and ignored everything I said. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.19  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.17    4 years ago

covid-19 has now mutated into 2 strains. an online campaign to name them after trump and pence should be initiated.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
4.1.20  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @4.1.19    4 years ago
an online campaign to name them after trump and pence should be initiated.

I triple-dog-dare you.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.21  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.1.20    4 years ago

how does trump-20 and pence-24 sound?

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.22  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @4.1.21    4 years ago

no?

covfefe-20 and hamberder-21?

Professor Guide
4.1.23  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @4.1.21    4 years ago

Perfect!

Professor Guide
4.1.24  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @4.1.22    4 years ago

OMG - More perfect!

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.1.25  Thrawn 31  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.5    4 years ago

3.4% is a little bit higher.

Funny that you mention children though... I recently read that only 2.5% of cases have been small children, and so far no fatalities. It is very perplexing, and is kind of a reminder of the 1918 flu. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.26  Trout Giggles  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4.1.25    4 years ago

If I remember my history correctly, the Spanish flu actually killed more younger people than it did children or older adults. Younger people like in their late teens early 20's.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.27  Tessylo  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4.1.25    4 years ago

The moron in chief disputes that 3.4% - that it's more like 1%.  A hunch.

Fucking moron.  

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1.28  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.27    4 years ago

is he more on,

or less off,

target ?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.29  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.27    4 years ago
The moron in chief disputes that 3.4% - that it's more like 1%.  A hunch.

Or he read it in the paper. The truth is the mortality rate is somewhat uncertain at this point.

How bad could this coronavirus outbreak get?

According to Otto Yang, an infectious disease expert at UCLA,

The actual fatality rate for the new coronavirus may be quite a bit lower than 2.3% because people who are infected but experience only mild illness — or no symptoms at all — are massively undercounted, experts said. The true death rate could be as low as 0.2%, Yang said.

We also may be talking about two variations on the same basic virus. That could also make settling on a specific mortality rate a little complicated.

Here’s why Chinese scientists say there’s a second, more dangerous coronavirus strain

Chinese scientists who compared the genetic sequences of 103 viral samples from patients infected with COVID-19 said their evidence suggests that the virulent version of the coronavirus — which they tagged the “L-type” version — was the dominant strain in the earliest phase of the outbreak that began in Wuhan late last year. That strain, they said, appeared to recede as the epidemic progressed.

But among samples collected later, as COVID-19 spread across China and into other countries, a variant of the virus they dubbed the “S-type” was more common, the scientists reported. They suggested that the genetic makeup of the S version more closely resembles coronaviruses circulating in bats and pangolins, the animals that are thought to have incubated the virus before it jumped to humans. And they surmised that it is a less virulent version.

The findings suggest the S-type version of the coronavirus may have escaped its animal hosts earlier than previously believed — and that it may have been circulating longer without causing enough illness to set off alarm bells.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.31  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.29    4 years ago

Read it in the paper?  What paper?  He doesn't read.  

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.32  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.31    4 years ago

kellyanne reads it to him while he watches fux and fiends every morning

evilone
Professor Guide
5  evilone    4 years ago

Everyone keeps talking about the mortality rate. That isn't the real problem. or at least it isn't the whole problem. It's the rate of community spread combined with the severity. Even if the mortality rate is .2% it's more how many people in your community that would be affected at the same time. If whole work forces are too sick to work, even if they don't die, it will be very bad short term. This is why preparedness officials like people to have 3 weeks, food water, prescriptions and some cash on hand if something like this hit major populated areas.

I'm also ran across a blurb in my news feed this morning that a second new and worse virus has been found in China? I hope that's not true.