Multiple Washington state school districts shut down over corona virus fears

By:  john-russell  •  one month ago  •  68 comments

Multiple Washington state school districts shut down over corona virus fears

Northshore School District, announced that  it will be closed Thursday  and for up to 14 days, after a Woodmoor Elementary School parent volunteer tested presumptive positive for the virus. ....The closure affects 33 schools and over 23,000 students. 
https://mynorthwest.com/1750018/thursday-coronavirus-school-closures-puget-sound-region/

Numerous school districts in northwest Washington state  have closed, in at least one case for two weeks,  in response to fears of coronavirus in the region. The closures effect tens of thousands of students and their families. 

It is expected that the nation will begin to see tangible negative effects as the scope of the virus spread becomes clearer. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

JohnRussell
1  author  JohnRussell    one month ago

Meanwhile Trump says matter of factly that people with the virus are  "going to work"  and getting better. 

Health care professionals are aghast that Trrump is suggesting that it might be proper to go to work while sick. 

WallyW
1.1  WallyW  replied to  JohnRussell @1    one month ago

Do you have a link? Or are making stuff up?

JohnRussell
1.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  WallyW @1.1    one month ago

I only wish you were joking. 

CNN’s Sanjay Gupta left slack-jawed after hearing Trump’s comments about coronavirus patients going to work

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/live/coronavirus-covid19-outbreak-philadelphia-pennsylvania-new-jersey-confirmed-cases-updates-20200305.html

Trump Claims Thousands Could Still Go To Work With ...

8 hours ago · President  Donald   Trump    suggested during an interview on  Fox News  Wednesday that   many people   with   mild coronavirus symptoms   could still   go to work   and get better. This goes against advice from medical professionals around the world who say that   infected individuals   should remain in …

katrix
1.1.2  katrix  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    one month ago

People who only use Fox and InfoWars for their information can't be expected to be aware of facts.

JohnRussell
1.1.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  katrix @1.1.2    one month ago

It is all about OIP.Ts7Wciuspn16WbyvvJUY_wHaFK?w=259&h=1

WallyW
1.1.4  WallyW  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    one month ago

I wasn't disputing the allegation, simply asking for a source

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
1.1.5  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  WallyW @1.1.4    one month ago
Do you have a link? Or are making stuff up?
I wasn't disputing the allegation.

What's your definition of 'making stuff up'?   

Tacos!
1.1.6  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    one month ago

I want sick people to stay home, too, but this struck me as funny.

You said:

Health care professionals

And then you said:

CNN's Sanjay Gupta.

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
1.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.6    one month ago

He does have an MD, ya know. Laugh all you want, but he earned the title Doctor

Split Personality
1.1.8  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.6    one month ago
Sanjay Gupta

I really don't see the humor in your response.

Sanjay Gupta - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Sanjay_Gupta
Sanjay Gupta (/ˈsɑːndʒeɪ ˈɡuːptə/ SAHN-jay GOOP-tə; born October 23, 1969) is an American neurosurgeon and medical reporter. He serves as associate chief of the neurosurgery service at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, and as assistant professor of neurosurgery at the Emory University School of Medicine.
Nationality ‎: ‎American
Occupation ‎: ‎ Medical journalist ‎ and ‎ neurosurgeon
Born ‎: ‎November 7, 1969 (age 50)

Gupta is an Emory Healthcare general neurosurgeon at Grady Memorial Hospital and has worked on spine, trauma and 3‑D‑ image-guided operations . He has published medical journal articles on percutaneous pedicle screw placement, [12] [13] brain tumors, and spinal cord abnormalities. [14] [15] He is licensed to practice medicine in New York, Michigan , Georgia and South Carolina . [16]

Gupta (third from left) with Henri Ford (second from left) and two U.S. Navy doctors operating on a 12-year-old girl aboard the USS Carl Vinson . [17]

During his reporting in Haiti following the January 2010 earthquake , Gupta received a call from the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson that an earthquake victim, a 12-year-old girl, was aboard and needed a neurosurgeon. Gupta, a pediatric surgeon , Henri Ford , and two U.S. Navy doctors removed a piece of concrete from the girl's skull in an operation performed aboard the Vinson . [18] [19] Ford later wrote that Gupta "proved to be a competent neurosurgeon". [20]

Broadcast journalism

In 2003, Gupta traveled to Iraq to cover the medical aspects of the invasion of Iraq . While in Iraq, Gupta performed emergency surgery on both US soldiers and Iraqi civilians. [21] Gupta was embedded with a Navy medical unit at the time, specifically a group of doctors called the "Devil Docs", who supported the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force . [22] A Marine named Jesus Vidana suffered a severe head injury, and the Marines asked for Gupta's assistance because of his background in neurosurgery. Vidana survived and was sent back to the United States for rehabilitation

Tessylo
1.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.7    one month ago

He must have been thinking of Ben Carson.  

Raven Wing
1.1.10  Raven Wing  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.8    one month ago

Great article SP. Thanks for sharing it. Lots of important information about a great surgeon.

gooseisgone
1.1.11  gooseisgone  replied to  katrix @1.1.2    one month ago
“A lot of people will have this and it’s very mild. They’ll get better very rapidly. They don’t even see a doctor, they don’t even call a doctor. You never hear about those people. 

This is the context in which he made the statement, is he telling people who have been diagnosed with the Coronavirus to go to work? 

JohnRussell
1.1.12  author  JohnRussell  replied to  gooseisgone @1.1.11    one month ago

He is telling people with the virus you can go to work and you will probably be fine. 

That is the same thing as telling people you can go to work sick. 

Stop making excuses. 

1.1.13  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.12    one month ago
He is telling people with the virus you can go to work and you will probably be fine.

...which is just peachy for the more than 10 million people (in the US alone) who are on immunosuppressive therapy for cancer, lupus, arthritis, etc.  

I'm glad that medical experts are speaking out against that freaking moron, Donald Trump.  Of course they'll be living in exile in Siberia before the week is out.

And Sanjay Gupta's face on CNN as he listened to Trump's medical advice to millions?  Priceless.

devangelical
1.1.14  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    one month ago
Trump    suggested during an interview on  Fox News  Wednesday that   many people   with   mild coronavirus symptoms   could still   go to work   and get better.

meh, not too hard to guess what I'm thinking about any WH employees that may become infected.

Thrawn 31
1.1.15  Thrawn 31  replied to  WallyW @1.1.4    one month ago

Sorry, but dip shit literally is encouraging people with a possible pandemic virus to go to work. 

Your president is a fucking idiot, what does it take for you to admit it?

gooseisgone
1.1.16  gooseisgone  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.12    one month ago
He is telling people with the virus you can go to work 

Jr if you have never been diagnosed how do you know you have it...…... just wondering. . 

Tessylo
1.1.17  Tessylo  replied to  gooseisgone @1.1.16    one month ago

Well duh - the major symptoms are a fever and coughing - if you have a fever and/or are coughing, you should STAY HOME.  

gooseisgone
1.1.18  gooseisgone  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.17    one month ago
Well duh - the major symptoms are a fever and coughing

Gee thanks...…….except I wasn't talking about MAJOR symptoms.

JohnRussell
2  author  JohnRussell    one month ago
At the time I sent my letter last night, there were 21 confirmed cases of the COVID-19 coronavirus in King County, including eight deaths; there were six cases in Snohomish County, including one death. Today, the  Washington State Department of Health website  says the number of confirmed cases in King County is 31 with 10 deaths. Keep in mind that just six days ago, there was only one known COVID-19 coronavirus case and no known deaths. As our district straddles both counties and three cities, we are impacted by the collective data.  https://www.nsd.org/blog/~board/superintendent-blog/post/letter-to-families-all-schools-closed-march-5

katrix
3  katrix    one month ago

And now the Idiot In Chief is claiming to his idolaters on Fox that his "hunch" tells him that the 3.4% fatality rate reported by the WHO is wrong.

And he's denying that he said people with mild cases should go to work.

This is the kind of thing people should think about before they vote - a megalomaniac who hates facts and experts is not the person we need in charge for something like this. All he cares about is pretending that it's not a threat, and that is a very dangerous approach.

Obama made a great comment yesterday - a very Presidential comment - which any President other than Trump would have already done.

JohnRussell
3.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  katrix @3    one month ago
And he's denying that he said people with mild cases should go to work.

But Trump never lies , or so say his supporters. 

What Trump said was that many people with the virus are going to work and getting better. 

There is video of him saying this. 

katrix
3.1.1  katrix  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    one month ago

He left out the part about how if they do that, they'll infect other people. But then, it's not as though he gives a shit if Americans die.

A man who thinks we're born with a specific amount of energy and that exercising takes away that energy - instead of realizing that exercising actually helps us live longer - is clearly unqualified for anything related to health.

WallyW
3.1.2  WallyW  replied to  katrix @3.1.1    one month ago

That's why he put Pence in charge,

devangelical
3.1.3  devangelical  replied to  WallyW @3.1.2    one month ago

maybe we should ask the albino asshole to pray trump away

It Is ME
3.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  devangelical @3.1.3    one month ago

[deleted]

devangelical
3.1.5  devangelical  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.4    one month ago

what's the word for those intolerant of bible thumping morons that can't grasp the Constitutional concepts of equality and a secular government?

It Is ME
3.1.6  It Is ME  replied to  devangelical @3.1.5    one month ago
what's the word for those intolerant of bible thumping morons that can't grasp the Constitutional concepts of equality and a secular government?

Democrat ?

Texan1211
3.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @3.1.5    one month ago

More than one, but "anti-religious zealot" comes to mind.

Texan1211
3.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.6    one month ago
Democrat ?

How about intolerant idiots?

devangelical
3.1.10  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.9    one month ago
How about intolerant idiots?

... more like American patriots, and defenders of the US Constitution...

thump thump thump,

and wind up at the dump.

Texan1211
3.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @3.1.10    one month ago

LMMFAO!

Patriots? Defending the Constitution?

HAHAHAHHHHHAHAAAHAAHAHAHA!

Whoo BOY that's a good one!

Got any more good jokes?

Patriots…...LOL!!

It Is ME
4  It Is ME    one month ago

"Northshore School District, announced that  it will be closed Thursday  and for up to 14 days"

Better self safe than sorry !

They will make up the lost days come summer !

igknorantzrulz
4.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @4    one month ago

Trump says they don't have to

It Is ME
4.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @4.1    one month ago
Trump says they don't have to

That's a True statement. They Don't have to do anything !

Should Trump have told everyone in this country to "Shutter the Windows" and "Lock the Doors" instead.

igknorantzrulz
4.1.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.1    one month ago

no

he already told them to go to work sick with the virus...

what a complete asinine statement.

he is unhinged with all the screws loose door knob confusing windows with peoples in doors

what a hunch, huh ?

It Is ME
4.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @4.1.2    one month ago
he already told them to go to work sick with the virus...

He didn't tell them to "Go to Work".

He said: "many people with mild coronavirus symptoms could still go to work and get better."

Another True statement !

People go to work with Influenza (In the U.S. alone, the flu has caused an estimated 32 million illnesses, 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 deaths this season), Colds (A corona virus), etc.....ALL THE TIME !

Tessylo
4.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.3    one month ago

How would you like it if those 'many people with mild corona virus symptoms' going to work and infecting you and yours?  Your children?  Your grandchildren?

It Is ME
4.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.4    one month ago
How would you like it if those 'many people with mild corona virus symptoms' going to work and infecting you and yours?  Your children?  Your grandchildren?

People running around with Colds.....Influenza...... isn't troubling to you, your Children...…. YOUR GRANDCHILDREN ?

Happens everyday of our lives.

Hot Toddy's do a great job ! Adults, Kids and Grandkids sleep really well. Get better sooner. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
4.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.5    one month ago

Nonsense, as usual.  That's all you got.  

It Is ME
4.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.6    one month ago
Nonsense, as usual. 

So....Folks running around with simple Influenza, which has already killed MORE people in THIS country this year, than this coronathingy…..doesn't bother you ?

I feel bad for your Kids and Grandkids !

igknorantzrulz
4.1.8  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.7    one month ago

u obviously know more than the doctors and scientists asz well

It Is ME
4.1.9  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @4.1.8    one month ago
u obviously know more than the doctors and scientists asz well

Sorry for not being as "Knowledgeable" as YOU !

Thank God ! jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
4.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.5    one month ago

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A COLD, THE FLU, AND A VIRUS

CORONA IS A VIRUS, NOT, A DIFFERENT FLU

It Is ME
4.1.11  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.10    one month ago
HERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A COLD, THE FLU, AND A VIRUS

Whaaaaaaaat ?

KDMichigan
4.1.12  KDMichigan  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.10    one month ago
THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A COLD, THE FLU, AND A VIRUS CORONA IS A VIRUS, NOT, A DIFFERENT FLU

And you make fun of President Trump? The 'Flu' which is short for Influenza is a virus. 

Your welcome.

Trout Giggles
4.1.13  Trout Giggles  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1.12    one month ago

they are different types of viruses. Influenza has different strains of virus that cause illness. Why do you think you have to get a flu shot every year.

katrix
4.1.14  katrix  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.13    one month ago

Don't worry about it. It Is Me claims that Hot Toddies will take care of it. Let's hope for his sake that if he gets it, he doesn't follow his own advice.

Trout Giggles
4.1.15  Trout Giggles  replied to  katrix @4.1.14    one month ago

My head is starting to hurt from all the STOOPID I've been reading in this seed.

go to work if you have a mild case of COVID-19? So I guess you don't care if the person in the next cubicle who is days away from retirement gets it.

KDMichigan
4.1.16  KDMichigan  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.13    one month ago

Yes? What did I say? Are you saying the Flu is not a Virus? 

Try looking at what I responded to.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A COLD, THE FLU, AND A VIRUS

Again, The Flu is a virus.No if, ands, or buts are going to change that fact.

Why do you think you have to get a flu shot every year.

I'm well aware of why, That still doesn't change the fact the flu is a virus, the cold is a virus and Corona is a virus.

Trout Giggles
4.1.17  Trout Giggles  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1.16    one month ago

There's no need to talk at me like that. I was not nasty to you so there's no need for you to be nasty back.

I know they are all viruses. I was trying to explain that they are all different kinds of viruses and that the flu has various strains. I never said that the flu is not a virus.

They are different.

KDMichigan
4.1.18  KDMichigan  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.17    one month ago
there's no need for you to be nasty back.

I think you read to much into my comment and ignored everything I said. 

devangelical
4.1.19  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.17    one month ago

covid-19 has now mutated into 2 strains. an online campaign to name them after trump and pence should be initiated.

4.1.20  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @4.1.19    one month ago
an online campaign to name them after trump and pence should be initiated.

I triple-dog-dare you.

devangelical
4.1.21  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.1.20    one month ago

how does trump-20 and pence-24 sound?

devangelical
4.1.22  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @4.1.21    one month ago

no?

covfefe-20 and hamberder-21?

4.1.23  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @4.1.21    one month ago

Perfect!

4.1.24  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @4.1.22    one month ago

OMG - More perfect!

Thrawn 31
4.1.25  Thrawn 31  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.5    one month ago

3.4% is a little bit higher.

Funny that you mention children though... I recently read that only 2.5% of cases have been small children, and so far no fatalities. It is very perplexing, and is kind of a reminder of the 1918 flu. 

Trout Giggles
4.1.26  Trout Giggles  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4.1.25    one month ago

If I remember my history correctly, the Spanish flu actually killed more younger people than it did children or older adults. Younger people like in their late teens early 20's.

Tessylo
4.1.27  Tessylo  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4.1.25    one month ago

The moron in chief disputes that 3.4% - that it's more like 1%.  A hunch.

Fucking moron.  

igknorantzrulz
4.1.28  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.27    one month ago

is he more on,

or less off,

target ?

Tacos!
4.1.29  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.27    one month ago
The moron in chief disputes that 3.4% - that it's more like 1%.  A hunch.

Or he read it in the paper. The truth is the mortality rate is somewhat uncertain at this point.

How bad could this coronavirus outbreak get?

According to Otto Yang, an infectious disease expert at UCLA,

The actual fatality rate for the new coronavirus may be quite a bit lower than 2.3% because people who are infected but experience only mild illness — or no symptoms at all — are massively undercounted, experts said. The true death rate could be as low as 0.2%, Yang said.

We also may be talking about two variations on the same basic virus. That could also make settling on a specific mortality rate a little complicated.

Here’s why Chinese scientists say there’s a second, more dangerous coronavirus strain

Chinese scientists who compared the genetic sequences of 103 viral samples from patients infected with COVID-19 said their evidence suggests that the virulent version of the coronavirus — which they tagged the “L-type” version — was the dominant strain in the earliest phase of the outbreak that began in Wuhan late last year. That strain, they said, appeared to recede as the epidemic progressed.

But among samples collected later, as COVID-19 spread across China and into other countries, a variant of the virus they dubbed the “S-type” was more common, the scientists reported. They suggested that the genetic makeup of the S version more closely resembles coronaviruses circulating in bats and pangolins, the animals that are thought to have incubated the virus before it jumped to humans. And they surmised that it is a less virulent version.

The findings suggest the S-type version of the coronavirus may have escaped its animal hosts earlier than previously believed — and that it may have been circulating longer without causing enough illness to set off alarm bells.

loki12
4.1.30  loki12  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.29    one month ago

This place cracks me up, the same low functioning morons who claimed to be constitutional law experts last week telling us how trump was guilty are all now infectious disease  experts telling us how trump is wrong.

News flash: They are still full of shit.

Tessylo
4.1.31  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.29    one month ago

Read it in the paper?  What paper?  He doesn't read.  

devangelical
4.1.32  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.31    one month ago

kellyanne reads it to him while he watches fux and fiends every morning

evilgenius
5  evilgenius    one month ago

Everyone keeps talking about the mortality rate. That isn't the real problem. or at least it isn't the whole problem. It's the rate of community spread combined with the severity. Even if the mortality rate is .2% it's more how many people in your community that would be affected at the same time. If whole work forces are too sick to work, even if they don't die, it will be very bad short term. This is why preparedness officials like people to have 3 weeks, food water, prescriptions and some cash on hand if something like this hit major populated areas.

I'm also ran across a blurb in my news feed this morning that a second new and worse virus has been found in China? I hope that's not true.