╌>

Trump Speculates Wildly About Coronavirus on National Television and We Barely Bat an Eye

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  4 years ago  •  66 comments

By:   Jack Holmes, Esquire

Trump Speculates Wildly About Coronavirus on National Television and We Barely Bat an Eye

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Politics

Jack Holmes

Esquire March 5, 2020, 10:18 AM EST

a5d6ef2dd85d7b839abfcfbe272b0007

Photo credit: Mark Wilson - Getty Images

From Esquire

It's a measure of just how far we've spelunked into the abyss these days that people genuinely applauded   a milquetoast message from a president   telling them to follow the directions of public health officials amid a possible pandemic. What was once the bare minimum is now a heroic act of statesmanship. Suggesting people listen to the Centers for Disease Control is Churchill's   we will fight them on the beaches .

It was a former president, of course, because the current president has demonstrated repeatedly that, due to his pathological self-interest,   his main priority is keeping the Dow Jones Industrial Average up   as he seeks re-election this year. The novel coronavirus—or more accurately, the disease COVID-19—does not represent the apocalypse, but it is deadlier than the garden-variety flu and very contagious and presents a serious risk to elderly and infirm people who contract it. If people are not going to wash their hands and stay home when they're sick in order to protect themselves, they should do so in order to protect others. But none of this was the message from our fearless national leader Wednesday evening, when he called into Sean Hannity's Fox News program to offer his   take   on "the corona flu." Yes, he did just try to rebrand it.

The point is also not whether the death rate may be lower than 3.4 percent, but whether the President of the United States should say things in a public forum about a potentially epidemic disease on a "hunch." We no longer hold our leadership to any sort of evidentiary standards. There is no expectation that the president will demonstrate respect for the scientific method or operate using any of the empirical tools we've developed as a civilization since the Enlightenment. The concept that our leaders have an obligation not to speculate wildly about public health issues is long gone.   Just say whatever!   Say what you want to be true!

There's reason to believe that as a champion bullshitter, Trump genuinely struggles to discern any difference between the world as it is and the world as he wants it to be. In fact, he's in a constant process of convincing others—and himself—that what he wants to be true is reality. He wants the coronavirus to be no big deal, and to not disrupt the economy in an election year, so he will say that's the case until enough people believe it that it might as well be true.

Until, perhaps, it's not. As we've discussed before,   this president has rarely run up against genuine external crises —that is, problems that are not of his own making—while in office. Like Hurricane Maria, this threatens to be an intercession of reality into the fantasy world he's continually constructing around himself, a world where everything is tilted or twisted, a lot or a little, for the benefit of one Donald J. Trump. Let's hope the Centers for Disease Control is allowed to operate outside the event horizon of his bullshit black hole.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

The point is also not whether the death rate may be lower than 3.4 percent, but whether the President of the United States should say things in a public forum about a potentially epidemic disease on a "hunch." We no longer hold our leadership to any sort of evidentiary standards. There is no expectation that the president will demonstrate respect for the scientific method or operate using any of the empirical tools we've developed as a civilization since the Enlightenment. The concept that our leaders have an obligation not to speculate wildly about public health issues is long gone.      Just say whatever!      Say what you want to be true!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1  cjcold  replied to  Tessylo @1    4 years ago

Waiting for him to call this pandemic a Chinese "hoax" just like he calls AGW.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  cjcold @1.1    4 years ago
Waiting for him to call this pandemic a Chinese "hoax" just like he calls AGW.

He already called it a "Democrat Hoax".

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.1    4 years ago

No he didn't.

Please stop the gaslighting.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.2    4 years ago

No he didn't.

Please stop the gaslighting.

I'll let him speak for himself.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.3    4 years ago

I guess Trump needs to dumb it down for some. He did not call the virus a hoax. Pay attention to what he actually says.

If you understand English, you know Trump is saying the criticism of the administration over coronavirus is the new hoax.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.4    4 years ago
If you understand English, you know Trump is saying the criticism of the administration over coronavirus is the new hoax.

What kind of fucking idiot talks like that?  The president shouldnt ever be saying shit about "hoaxes" , especially not related to health concerns. 

When a life long con man calls something his opponents do a "hoax" , we can know by that alone who is more believable. 

No one has ever perpetrated a "hoax" on Trump. Never. ever. 

You are spreading falsehoods. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.5    4 years ago
No one has ever perpetrated a "hoax" on Trump. Never. ever. 

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.7  Ozzwald  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.4    4 years ago
I guess Trump needs to dumb it down for some.

I think Trump dumbing down anything he talks about is a physical impossibility.  It's already as dumb as it can be.

Pay attention to what he actually says.

That is what HE SAID.  You are trying to translate what he says, to what YOU think he means.

What has "English" go to do with anything Trump says?  Do you covfefe me, or do I need to explain the orange of the remarks?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.8  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.7    4 years ago

What ? we shouldn't need a translator for our President...??

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.9  JohnRussell  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1.8    4 years ago

They're not translators, they're fluffers. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.1.10  KDMichigan  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.1    4 years ago
He already called it a "Democrat Hoax".

No he Didn't. The left wing media of course put that out there for there simple minded followers to lap up.

“We have exposed the far left’s corruption and defeated their sinister schemes and let’s see what happens in the coming months,” Trump said during the rally. “Let’s watch. Let’s just watch. Very dishonest people. Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus, you know that right? Coronavirus, they’re politicizing it.”

“They tried anything,” said Trump about a minute after his first mention of the coronavirus. “They tried it over and over. They’d been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning. They lost. It’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax.”

So after speaking about the extent of Covid 19 and it's spread to America it takes a extreme TDS sufferer to construe that Trump is calling the virus a hoax.

It's pretty sad that Democrats are so pathetic they would politicize something like this. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.11  igknorantzrulz  replied to  KDMichigan @1.1.10    4 years ago

What's sad is some thinking that is NOT the point Trump was conveying, as there have been NO HOAXES by anyone but Trump.

Any Democrat who did one thousandth Trump has, the HYPOCRITICAL REPUBLICANS would have long ago impeached and removed from office, and it would have been BIPARTISAN if we were talking the Mueller investigation or the Ukraine call.

It is unbelievable what you will apologize for and or twist if Ttrump does it.

It is truly sad what people will allow Trump to get away with, as he LIES to ALL daily!  

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.1.12  KDMichigan  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1.11    4 years ago
What's sad is some thinking that is NOT the point Trump was conveying,

TDS is real.

lib50
Professor Silent
1.1.13  lib50  replied to  KDMichigan @1.1.12    4 years ago

I read your explanation and still don't know what you are trying to convey Trump is calling a hoax.  The ones politicizing it are the ones lying about it and trying to pretend they are competent - Trump and his administration.  He is throwing out the word hoax like he always does, to deflect from his clusterfucky governing.  He only understands political, he can't live without his constant rallies, even during this mess.  Stop the gaslighting and stop telling us what 'he really means', he says it and we know what he means.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.14  igknorantzrulz  replied to  KDMichigan @1.1.12    4 years ago

TDS is real.

i don't know, as

it sorta sounds like a

nutter damn Democratic HOAX !

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.1.15  KDMichigan  replied to  lib50 @1.1.13    4 years ago
Stop the gaslighting and stop telling us what 'he really means',

Who is gaslighting? Anyone with common sense knows he wasn't calling the virus a hoax after spending time talking about its effects on the US. The TDS sufferers though have stepped up to gaslight what he said.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.16  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @1.1.15    4 years ago

Trump is a disgrace. His boundless display of ignorance at the CDC yesterday was mind blowing. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.1.17  KDMichigan  replied to  lib50 @1.1.13    4 years ago

Even the skewed left snopes calls that bullshit a lie.

What's True
During a Feb. 28, 2020, campaign rally in South Carolina, President Donald Trump likened the Democrats' criticism of his administration's response to the new coronavirus outbreak to their efforts to impeach him, saying "this is their new hoax." During the speech he also seemed to downplay the severity of the outbreak, comparing it to the common flu.
What's False
Despite creating some confusion with his remarks, Trump did not call the coronavirus itself a hoax. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

I keep being reminded of the conference with tRump and Fauci, and others, crossing his arms, thinking/essentially saying 'that's not what I want to hear'

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3  lady in black    4 years ago

He is a moronic imbecile, and people will defend the bs he spews daily.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1  It Is ME  replied to  lady in black @3    4 years ago
He is a moronic imbecile, and people will defend the bs he spews daily.

We had a President that said Duct Tape and Saran wrap on windows and doors would work.

Bet you hated that idea when it was proposed. jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif

Who said that ? jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif

Do you want Trump to say the same type thing …… NOW ! jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  lady in black  replied to  It Is ME @3.1    4 years ago

Whataboutism at its finest....so you are defending crooked donnie's "hunch"?  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  lady in black @3.1.1    4 years ago
Whataboutism at its finest

Do you know who put forth that idea, and do you think Trump should propose the same thing on this "Different Flu" scare ?

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  lady in black  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.2    4 years ago

I really don't care, that is in the past...should crooked donnie spew forth his "hunch" over what WHO says....it's a simple yes or no answer.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1.4  katrix  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.2    4 years ago

We can see from you that Trump's bullshit is working.

You clearly have no clue what the difference is between coronavirus, the typical common cold, and the flu - including mortality rates, vaccine availabilities, etc. Keep listening to Trump, and you never will.

It would have been nice if Trump had said something similar to what Obama said yesterday. But then, being Presidential is beyond his capabilities.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  lady in black @3.1.3    4 years ago
I really don't care,

You don't know ! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

"should crooked donnie spew forth his "hunch" over what WHO says"

Are you building a "Virus Shelter" as we speak, 'cause you don't "believe" what the administration is saying ?

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1.6  katrix  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.2    4 years ago
Sorensen tells WebMD that sealing off a room with these building materials, available at most hardware stores and home improvement centers, can offer "a significant level of immediate, short-term protection" for an hour or two -- the likely duration of danger from a possible biological or chemical attack. Plastic sheeting and duct tape would not offer protection against a nuclear attack. 

Wouldn't surprise me if Trump did propose something like that, completely ignoring that it is only short term protection. When the Bush administration did it, that was all it was intended to do. They actually do that in Israel. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  katrix @3.1.4    4 years ago
You clearly have no clue what the difference is between coronavirus, the typical common cold, and the flu

Actually.... I do !

Simple influenza has killed more folks this year .... in this Country. ...than the coronathingy has to date.

Didn't you know that ?

Remind me about whose "Clue'd in" again ?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.8  It Is ME  replied to  katrix @3.1.6    4 years ago
Wouldn't surprise me if Trump did propose something like that

Yet ……. he didn't !

kinda sucks huh !

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.9  Split Personality  replied to  It Is ME @3.1    4 years ago

It was actually the "new" Homeland Security Department in 2003...

As the Homeland Security Department called on Americans to buy duct tape and plastic sheeting to seal windows and doors in the event of a terrorist attack, critics on Wednesday said such precautions would have limited value and likened them to ineffective civil defense measures of the Cold War era.

They also chided the Bush administration for not yet taking more significant actions that, they said, could potentially save many lives if terrorists strike. Those moves would include sending more money to state and local governments for equipment and training needed by fire and police departments that would be the first to respond to a terrorist incident.

Despite such skepticism, the new Homeland Security Department stood by its suggestions, with a spokesman saying the agency hoped all Americans would follow them, including obtaining the duct tape.

Americans have apparently heeded the U.S. government's advice to prepare for terror attacks, emptying hardware store shelves of duct tape.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.10  It Is ME  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.9    4 years ago

It was actually the "new" Homeland Security Department in 2003..."

Supported by as seen on TV….. whom ?

Did you follow the "Directions" ? 

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1.11  katrix  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.7    4 years ago

Right, because the coronavirus just got here and has barely begun to spread. Flu season started months ago.

[deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.12  It Is ME  replied to  katrix @3.1.11    4 years ago
Flu season started months ago.

And still ... Killing !

[deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.13  It Is ME  replied to  katrix @3.1.11    4 years ago

[deleted]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.15  Sparty On  replied to  katrix @3.1.11    4 years ago
Trump loves his low information voters. They not only defend his bullshit, they provide it for him.

A classic Ad Hominem attack style we have come to expect from the left.

Personally attack the opponents intelligence not the point of debate.

Very telling ....

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.16  Split Personality  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.10    4 years ago

Well you can claim that George Bush supported it but then you would have to prove it.

All I can find are references to the US Fire chief who originally said it and the DHS support for it.

I never saw Bush on TV saying to do this.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.17  Split Personality  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.2    4 years ago

The Bush Administration's new Homeland Security Department put out that "idea" due to possible terrorist  attacks, not to avoid the flu or any viruses.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.18  It Is ME  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.16    4 years ago

The whom was ..... Tom Ridge ( the Assistant to the President )..... in charge of Homeland Security, as created by George W. Bush, IS/WAS the BUSH administration.

Media was outraged by "The "Administrations" call for taping.

President George W. Bush didn't refute what "HIS" head of homeland security said. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.19  It Is ME  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.17    4 years ago
The Bush Administration's new Homeland Security Department put out that "idea" due to possible terrorist  attacks

Biological attacks ….. right ?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.20  Sparty On  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.19    4 years ago

[deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.21  It Is ME  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.20    4 years ago

[deleted]

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1.23  katrix  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.15    4 years ago
Personally attack the opponents intelligence not the point of debate.

When someone makes a comment about how the flu has killed more people in the US than coronavirus has to date, and apparently thinks they scored some kind of point - well, that's an extremely ignorant comment.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1.24  igknorantzrulz  replied to  katrix @3.1.23    4 years ago

Often found to be made by mental deficient uninformed think they know it alls

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.25  Trout Giggles  replied to  katrix @3.1.23    4 years ago

The flu has been infecting people this whole entire time and started ramping up in October-November. Nobody knew anything about COVID-19 until December. It's only March. During that time frame one would expect more deaths from the flu than from COVID-19.

Of course, I only have a BS in Enviromental Health. I only took biology and chemistry classes, what the hell do I know, right?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.26  cjcold  replied to  It Is ME @3.1    4 years ago
Duct Tape and Saran wrap on windows and doors would work

Actually that did work as long as one had a weather station and knew how to build a system that brought in fresh air on a positive pressure system. Preppers have been building effective basement based filtered air systems since the 50s.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

Of course it's lower than 3.4%. Pointing that out is a public service.

No educated person believes it's actually 3.4%

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    4 years ago

Just for fun let's pretend you know an educated person.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    4 years ago

So, where is your proof and documentation that it is lower then 3.4%?

Where is tRump's?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7  Thrawn 31    4 years ago

I ignore anything coming from the executive on this issue. I literally dismiss every single word they have to say. I take the advice of the CDC, and that is about it. Trump has proven during his presidency, and even more disgustingly during this potential pandemic, that he and his reelection numbers are all that matters.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
7.1  cjcold  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7    4 years ago
I ignore anything coming from the executive on this issue.

On any issue.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

I have reviewed the article and removed all off-topic comments. I am reopening the article. STAY ON TOPIC! The topic is: Trump Speculates Wildly About Coronavirus On National Television And We Barely Bat An Eye... translated:  President Trump's reaction to and comments on the coronavirus. Any off topic comments will be removed. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8    4 years ago

Thanks Perrie!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

Now he's crowing about how the virus is good because it's keeping Americans spending money here in America.

Don't tell that to United Airlines.....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

Unfortunately for you Americans Trump did not ban the virus from entering the USA.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
10.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10    4 years ago

Congress would have impeached him for conduct unbecoming an open border maggot.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
10.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10    4 years ago
Unfortunately for you Americans Trump did not ban the virus from entering the USA.

That's because it came across to the US border from China, not from Mexico. And there is no border wall between the US and China. Yet....

Split Personality
Professor Guide
10.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Raven Wing @10.2    4 years ago

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
10.2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Split Personality @10.2.1    4 years ago

I guess we would not need any military of any kind with the protection of the dome, so the money spent on military could be spent to build the dome. IF...there is any money left after Trump finishes building his wall with money taken from the military budget now.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

I was just thinking that the words in the title of this seed "bat an eye" are kind of unfortunate since these serious viruses seem to have their origin in bats.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
11.1  cjcold  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11    4 years ago

Bats????? Some do, most don't.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  cjcold @11.1    4 years ago

That's true, the Louisville Sluggers aren't included.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
12  Split Personality    4 years ago

Good catch.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
13  pat wilson    4 years ago

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson @13    4 years ago

That's an awfully weird looking mask - seems to be designed for an anteater or elephant.  Wait a sec - isn't it a sanitary napkin?