╌>

Vegan runner asks neighbors to close windows when cooking meat with 'offensive' odor

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kdmichigan  •  4 years ago  •  25 comments

By:    David Aaro

Vegan runner asks neighbors to close windows when cooking meat with 'offensive' odor
"Quite honestly the odor is offensive and I'm hoping our community can have some empathy for its #plantbased neighbors by closing their windows if they are cooking meat and only putting vegetables on their bbq,"

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A self-proclaimed "vegan runner" from Berkeley, California received backlash on Saturday after asking neighbors to close their windows when cooking meat because the smells were 'overpowering and offensive.'
The rant was posted to @BestNextDoor -- an account that houses neighborhood drama -- which showed the runner had requested nearby residents only barbeque vegetables because it's "always hard for me this time of year when the weather starts warming up."
"Several nights a week I'm out running around dinnertime and when people have their windows open I can smell what they are cooking," the request said. "I've noticed a sharp uptick recently in smells of folks cooking meat and it can be quite overpowering."

A self-proclaimed "vegan runner" in California received backlash on Saturday after boldly asking neighbors to close their windows when cooking meat because the smells were 'overpowering and offensive.'
"Quite honestly the odor is offensive and I'm hoping our community can have some empathy for its #plantbased neighbors by closing their windows if they are cooking meat and only putting vegetables on their bbq," the runner added.
They didn't want to be a stereotype but suggested people should "join the movement" should do some research on why the odor of cooking animals is offensive.
The post, directed to people in the area as "What's up neighborhood, one love," received backlash on Twitter.
"'I don’t want to be a stereotype' at the end of a multi-paragraph whine about how hard it is being vegan. This is performance art," a user concluded.
"As a carnivore bbq chef, it’s always hard for me this time of year when the weather starts warming up and vegan runners start running by my windows," another said.
"You know what else smells terrible? Runners. Have some respect, exercise indoors with all the windows locked," another wrote.

Another person said they would "roast an entire goat right outside just to spite him."
Some people came to the runners' defense online, agreeing that the smell of barbeque can be overwhelming.
"Try being vegan in Texas. My redneck neighbors over the back fence are hunters, and have two smokers in their backyard. The whole neighborhood is smoky for weeks on end, and my dogs smell like bacon whenever they come in from the backyard," a vegan user responded.

"I live in Texas and I eat meat, & I completely sympathize with you - that smoky smell permeates everything. I really hope you and your neighbors are friends & they are worth the inconvenience. Also, you could breed dogs. Bacon lovers would pay a fortune for 'bacon-scented' pets," another wrote.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1  seeder  KDMichigan    4 years ago

I wasn't surprised at all when I read where this Vegan lives. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  KDMichigan @1    4 years ago

Fuck that Vegan. God, is there a more annoying group of people?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Thrawn 31 @1.1    4 years ago

The PETA crowd probably comes pretty clise.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    4 years ago

Now that is what you call "entitled."

squiggy
Junior Silent
3  squiggy    4 years ago

I can imagine the odor of a deodorant-free runner through the neighborhood would be offensive, as well.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4  Freefaller    4 years ago

LMAO in my opinion there's only one reason for BBQs and that's to cook meat.

charger 383
Professor Silent
5  charger 383    4 years ago

I love the smell of BBQ in the evening

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.1  Freefaller  replied to  charger 383 @5    4 years ago

Lol some of the boys that work downstairs from me dragged their unit BBQ out of the snow yesterday and cooked up some burgers.  Like you I love the smell but that was torture.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.1.1  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Freefaller @5.1    4 years ago

who lets snow build up on their grill? I finally broke down and got a gas grill. I still have a charcoal, a electric and wood smoker and a old round weber, 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  Freefaller  replied to  KDMichigan @5.1.1    4 years ago
who lets snow build up on their grill?

Lol everyone here, we have loooong cold winters

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.1.3  charger 383  replied to  KDMichigan @5.1.1    4 years ago

a snowstorm is a great excuse to grill in the winter

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  charger 383 @5.1.3    4 years ago

Hey, I grilled burgers and chicken in snowstorms at McMurdo Station, Antarctica. Best and most memorable BBQ I ever had!

lady in black
Professor Quiet
6  lady in black    4 years ago

I'd bbq every night

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  lady in black @6    4 years ago

As it should be.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.2  Sparty On  replied to  lady in black @6    4 years ago

Lol, exactly what i was thinking and fire up the smoker at the same time and maybe be cleaning a fish for the grille etc, etc ....

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
7  MonsterMash    4 years ago

Get out of my neighborhood stinky-ass vegan.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fclipartmag.com%2Fimages%2Ftired-person-clipart-42.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  MonsterMash @7    4 years ago

I'd love to see that person try to pull that kind of BS in my neck of the desert on the AZ/Mexico border. I could just imagine them running past residents grilling their carne asada, burgers, chicken, Mexican hot dogs, barbacoa, burritos, and other items on a weekend and trying to tell people here how offensive that is. Between threats, insults, and probably numerous raised middle digits, they would not last long in town.😂

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8  Thrawn 31    4 years ago

Here is my empathy... fuck off and enjoy the smell of brauts, burgers , and steaks.  

….MMMMMMMM...… goddamn delicious 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

I've always been a carnivore, loved to bbq steaks, hot dogs and hamburgers, loved the smell,  and if the vegans didn't like the smell they could go hug a tree. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
10  The Magic 8 Ball    4 years ago
I'm hoping our community can have some empathy for its #plantbased neighbors by closing their windows 

id tell her to close her windows and then her mouth.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
11  It Is ME    4 years ago

May the shit from dogs infest your sneakers. jrSmiley_68_smiley_image.png

Now that's a "Smell".

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.1  Sparty On  replied to  It Is ME @11    4 years ago

And may the fleas from a thousand camels infest their beds ......

zuksam
Junior Silent
12  zuksam    4 years ago

Only a true douchebag would ask 99.9% of the population to bend over backwards over something so trivial as a temporary cooking smell. I could understand if she was trying to prevent a Burger King from building a store across from her home but even a Burger King's smell only hangs in the air within a few hundred yards and that's about the strongest "Meat smell" around. How much does my dinner really smell in the grand scope of smells ? Even with outdoor Grilling what you mostly smell is charcoal not the actual meat, if it's a gas grill the smell of the food doesn't travel nearly as far or last as long. This lady reminds me of the douchebags who start coughing as soon as they see a cigarette even though the wind is blowing the smoke the opposite way.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
13  JaneDoe    4 years ago

I have read that mouth breathing is by far the best way to breath while running, largely because it brings in more oxygen than breathing through the nose.

My advice, put in some nose plugs chick and run on. Leave your neighbors alone!

Every time I go to the mailbox the house up the road smells like cabbage. I don’t complain 😂

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
14  Jasper2529    4 years ago
A self-proclaimed "vegan runner" from Berkeley, California received backlash on Saturday after asking neighbors to close their windows when cooking meat because the smells were 'overpowering and offensive.'

Awww, poor poor baby!

2rksav.jpg