╌>

Who needs Netflix? VHS remains a go-to in the digital age

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  20 comments

Who needs Netflix? VHS remains a go-to in the digital age
You might be surprised, but VHS is making a comeback, even in a digital streaming world. Jackie Greed curates the VHS collection at Amoeba Records in Los Angeles where she says sales are increasing for the video cassette tapes, and becoming more popular on social media.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
2  JBB    4 years ago

In other not news improbable wacko pronouncements, it was reported today that Ed Schmuck of the Oshkosch Horse and Buggy Museum has announced that surrys with the fringe on top are makings a big comeback and will likely soon be replaced horseless carriages as America's preferred form of transportation...

zuksam
Junior Silent
2.1  zuksam  replied to  JBB @2    4 years ago

GM just announced they would be offering Dingo Balls and Fuzzy Dice as an option in all their 2020 cars and trucks. Take that Oshkosh Horse and Buggy.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  cjcold  replied to  zuksam @2.1    4 years ago

Couldn't get fuzzy dice as an option on my new Vette.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JBB @2    4 years ago

JBB,

You may mock, but records have made a big comeback because nothing beats the warm sound they produce. I thought this was a novel turn of events. 

BTW we still own all our VHS, especially our Disney. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2    4 years ago

I bought every Disney VHS over the years for my kids, and then for my Granddaughter. Some I bought that they had no interest in just to make the collection complete. After my Son walked on my Daughter didn't want to watch the ones he liked anymore as it made her too sad. And after she walked on after my Granddaughter was born I put them all away to keep for my Granddaughter when she got older. I kept all the the Disney movies and the player as collectables.

One day my Great-Grandkids might enjoy watching them. I also have E.T. and some other really great non--Disney movies. So if I am still around when my Great-Grandkids are old enough I can enjoy watching them all again. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

zuksam
Junior Silent
2.2.2  zuksam  replied to  Raven Wing @2.2.1    4 years ago

VCR's are great for Kids because they are simple enough for them to operate and most importantly the tapes are durable enough to withstand the abuse. With DVD's you have to change the DVD for them because a disk wouldn't last a week in a kids hands. Plus you can still get lots of kids VHS tapes dirt cheap at yard sales and thrift shops.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.2.3  Raven Wing  replied to  zuksam @2.2.2    4 years ago

Totally agree. Kids and DVD's are a very iffy relationship. Once they are scratched being put in or taken out of DVD player they are no longer good.

But, I remember the very early VCR players had a bad issue of tangling the tapes and ruining them. And the tangled tapes were a real PITA to get out of the players. jrSmiley_92_smiley_image.png jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

zuksam
Junior Silent
3  zuksam    4 years ago

I wish that when they came out with CD's and DVD's they had put them in a permanent protective case like a Floppy Disk. I've had so many ruined over the years. Sure they wouldn't be so compact but they wouldn't be so fragile either. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1  cjcold  replied to  zuksam @3    4 years ago

Only ruined one in my life. Sat on it.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  cjcold @3.1    4 years ago

DVDs and toddlers - not a good combo.

It's not much better when they're teenagers, either.

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    4 years ago

Give me a digital copy on a zip drive.

I use to be bad and download off of tor sites. I still have utorrent on my computer.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
5  sixpick    4 years ago

Everything depends on how the movie was originally recorded.   If it was recorded with film, it is far superior, in my opinion, than video.  Even when it is transferred to video from film, it has depth video just can't reproduce on its on, but the video is better than it would have been had it started out video.recording.

It's the same with music.  Most music we hear today with those earbuds are mp3 files.  A WAV file is about 10 times as big as a mp3 file per minute.  My first computer was a IBM XT with a 10mb hard drive.  That's just big enough to hold one minute of a CD.  Now of course you can get 10 times the number of songs on a CD if you record or put them on there as mp3 files.

Although I still have boxes of VHS tapes and boxes of CDs, I rarely look or listen to any of them.  I still have a functioning VHS recorder/player, but I haven't seen it in years.  I guess it still would work.

Most of what I listen and look at are mp3, mp4 files and DVD's.