While Biden Says 'Happy to Talk About That Later,' Sanders Holds Coronavirus Roundtable With Medical Experts

Via:  comrade-cameron  •  one month ago  •  55 comments

While Biden Says 'Happy to Talk About That Later,' Sanders Holds Coronavirus Roundtable With Medical Experts
"Health experts agree that the spread of the coronavirus will likely get worse before it gets better. Donald Trump must stop spreading lies and fear, and leave the science to scientists and health professionals."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

After former Vice President Joe Biden on Monday morning   declined   to address or answer questions about the coronavirus during an event in Grand Rapids, Michigan, Sen. Bernie Sanders urged the public to tune in to a COVID-19 roundtable discussion the senator is hosting Monday afternoon in Detroit alongside nurses, physicians, and other medical professionals.

"This crisis is another clear example of why we must guarantee healthcare as a right for every single man, woman, and child in this country."
—Sen. Bernie Sanders

Biden told reporters during a press conference at Cherry Health clinic that he would "be happy to talk about that later," referring to the coronavirus outbreak that has spread to 34 states and killed 22 people in the U.S.

"You can join our coronavirus roundtable in Detroit with public health officials live at 3:15 [pm] ET," Sanders   tweeted   in response to Biden's remarks, which came on the eve of Michigan's Democratic presidential primary.

Watch the roundtable discussion, which will feature National Nurses United president Deborah Burger, RN; former Detroit health commissioner Dr. Abdul El-Sayed, and other experts:

In an email to supporters on Monday, Sanders took aim at both the incompetence of President Donald Trump's administration and "our current dysfunctional healthcare system," which the senator said is "vastly underprepared for this pandemic."

The senator urged supporters to sign a   petition   demanding that the Trump administration guarantee that any coronavirus vaccine and treatment is free and available for everyone in the U.S.

"Right now in the United States, reports suggest over 500 confirmed cases across many different states and Washington, D.C., and at least 22 deaths," Sanders wrote. "But the truth is, we cannot be sure about these numbers because the Trump administration has completely mismanaged making coronavirus testing available, and local clinics and hospitals are still woefully unprepared to diagnose potential cases."

Sanders described Vice President Mike Pence—the   leader   of the White House's coronavirus response—as "somebody who, to be charitable, is not a great advocate for science in general."

"This crisis is another clear example of why we must guarantee healthcare as a right for every single man, woman, and child in this country," Sanders wrote. "This crisis is another example of why we need universal paid family leave in this country, so people who are sick can stay home, recover, and prevent the virus from spreading. This crisis is another example of why we must take on the greed of the pharmaceutical industry."

"Health experts agree that the spread of the coronavirus will likely get worse before it gets better," Sanders added. "Donald Trump must stop spreading lies and fear, and leave the science to scientists and health professionals, not politicians. We must make certain that we are prepared for a pandemic."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

Comrade Cameron
1  seeder  Comrade Cameron    one month ago

while Joe Biden and his campaign hide, Bernie's campaign is taking the issues head on! This is the type of leadership America needs.

Jasper2529
2  Jasper2529    one month ago
The senator urged supporters to sign a      petition      demanding that the Trump administration guarantee that any coronavirus vaccine and treatment is free and available for everyone in the U.S.

Another Bernie freebie? Influenza kills more people than COVID-19, so why hasn't he created a petition for free influenza vaccines and treatment during his decades in the US Senate? Perhaps it wasn't politically expedient.

Comrade Cameron
2.1  seeder  Comrade Cameron  replied to  Jasper2529 @2    one month ago

Let me get you an answer on that.

Ozzwald
2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Jasper2529 @2    one month ago
Influenza kills more people than COVID-19, so why hasn't he created a petition for free influenza vaccines and treatment during his decades in the US Senate?

1. What makes you think he wouldn't?

2. Fatality rate of the flu = .1%

Fatality rate of Covid-19 = 2-3%

Just Jim NC TttH
2.2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2    one month ago

There is an inherent reason for the difference. Some peole use percentages to compare, some, sheer numbers.

Perhaps it would help to know how those numbers are arrived at. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/03/the-flu-has-already-killed-10000-across-us-as-world-frets-over-coronavirus.html

Comrade Cameron
2.2.2  seeder  Comrade Cameron  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2    one month ago

Covid-19 seems to be significantly more deadly for seniors over 60. That would be devastating to Biden's constituents.

Jasper2529
2.2.3  Jasper2529  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2    one month ago
1. What makes you think he wouldn't?

As I said, Sanders has had decades to propose influenza petitions or bills that would pay for free vaccines and treatment for US citizens but he's never done so as a Representative or Senator until now when he's in a tight race with Biden - and it's only for COVID-19. 

2. Fatality rate of the flu = .1%     Fatality rate of Covid-19 = 2-3%

Please provide medical ... not media or political ... sources for this claim.

Paula Bartholomew
2.2.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2    one month ago

Most all of the major pharmacy chains offer free flu shots every year.

Jasper2529
2.2.5  Jasper2529  replied to  Comrade Cameron @2.2.2    one month ago
Covid-19 seems to be significantly more deadly for seniors over 60.

More deadly than what? Influenza? Coronary/vascular disease?

Ozzwald
2.2.6  Ozzwald  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.3    one month ago
Please provide medical ... not media or political ... sources for this claim.

If you don't believe the numbers, dispute them with facts.  That you offer none speaks loudly.

WallyW
2.2.7  WallyW  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.2.4    one month ago

As does Medicare.

Kavika
2.2.9  Kavika   replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.3    one month ago

Here is a link showing the number of case and death by country as of today.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

As you can see both worldwide and in the US it running higher than the 2-3%.

Vic Eldred
2.2.10  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2    one month ago

Where do those figures come from?

Vic Eldred
2.2.11  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @2.2.9    one month ago
As you can see both worldwide and in the US it running higher than the 2-3%.

As if anyone knows how many have it. You can't say 2-3% based on just the confirmed cases. We have tested very few people. We may have a million people infected on the west coast or 10 million in China. Then what happens to that 2-3%?

Kavika
2.2.12  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.11    one month ago

The question was for accurate confirmed numbers. That is what is posted. 

You can deal with hypotheticals or reality as we know it today. Your choice.

Split Personality
2.2.13  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.11    one month ago
We may have a million people infected on the west coast or 10 million in China. Then what happens to that 2-3%?

Nothing, most people survive it.  Are you asking if the 2 to 3 % is low or high, I would say too low.

If anything, the estimate is lowered by how many people died from it before it was recognized as a "new strain" and just written off as another flu death or pneumonia death.

Hell, since the test isn't readily available, it's anyone's guess how many have died from it.

Vic Eldred
2.2.14  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.13    4 weeks ago
Nothing,

Then you don't get it.  All deaths from the virus are confirmed. We know how many there are. People infected are another matter. We have no idea how many are infected. Thus 10 deaths from 100 infected would be a whopping 10%, while the same 10 deaths from 20,000 infected would only be a mere .05%

You have to know how many are infected before the percentages of fatalities can have any meaning.

This thing could simply be a flu strain similar to all other flu's or it could be a highly contagious lethal disease, or anything in between. We still know way too little. What I do know is that it could have been contained within China if the Chinese government allowed the US CDC to come in and help out early on.

Ozzwald
2.2.15  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.10    4 weeks ago

Where do those figures come from?

Google.  You should try it sometime.

Vic Eldred
2.2.16  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.15    4 weeks ago

Show me how many are infected in the US!  Google doesn't have all the answers!

loki12
2.2.17  loki12  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.16    4 weeks ago

Since the left has been whining incessantly about the fact that there are no COVID-19 test kits, we don't know what the mortality rate is other than the propaganda by the left to scare the electorate.  It appears in most cases the symptoms are so mild most don't even know they have it.

Vic Eldred
2.2.18  Vic Eldred  replied to  loki12 @2.2.17    4 weeks ago

The little we have learned so far is that A) it is highly contagious and B) It is mainly a threat to people over 60 years old with an underlying health problem.

Other than that it could be devastating as it is in China and Italy or gone with the coming of the warm weather. 

loki12
2.2.19  loki12  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.18    4 weeks ago

[deleted]

Vic Eldred
2.2.20  Vic Eldred  replied to  loki12 @2.2.19    4 weeks ago

Very good point and we see the anti-Trump hate on display every single day. I think I know what you want to say. It's true.

CDC: Americans over 60 should "stock up" on supplies, avoid crowds http:// hill.cm/leAe3YR

ESwUO6ZXYAEyr6o?format=jpg&name=small

Split Personality
2.2.21  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.14    4 weeks ago
Then you don't get it.  All deaths from the virus are confirmed. We know how many there are.

More amide nitrogen...  We don't know what we don't know. 

There simply have to be more deaths from the virus because there were initially no tests for this virus.

Infallible statistics are not a medical reality.

What I do know is that it could have been contained within China if the Chinese government allowed the US CDC to come in and help out early on.

Pure fertilizer.

By the time the Chinese realized they had something different, the "new" virus was already have way around the world.

Ozzwald
2.2.22  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.16    4 weeks ago
Show me how many are infected in the US! 

Are you really that computer illiterate that you cannot look anything up for yourself???

Depends on who you ask. 

According to Trump's CDC we have Total cases: 423

According to NY Times we have at least 747

According to Worldometer we have 729

According to CNN we have at least 732

No numbers are perfectly accurate, but it sure looks like Trump's CDC is under reporting.

Vic Eldred
2.2.23  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.21    4 weeks ago
By the time the Chinese realized they had something different, the "new" virus was already have way around the world.

They couldn't have said it better themselves. They just threatened to withhold all the medicine we came to rely on via our shity leaders.

Vic Eldred
2.2.24  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.22    4 weeks ago
Are you really that computer illiterate that you cannot look anything up for yourself???

Are you really so confused that you can't understand that NOBODY knows how many are infected???

According to Trump's CDC we have  Total cases: 423

KNOWN CASES!!!

According to NY Times we have at least  747

NOT MUCH OF A SOURCE ANYMORE!!!

According to Worldometer we have  729

AGAIN BASED ON WHAT???

According to CNN we have at least  732

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

No numbers are perfectly accurate, but it sure looks like Trump's CDC is under reporting.

Yup, that was your goal (as if we didn't know!)
Under reporting?  So all those numbers you gave are going to stay that way?  I'll bet you anything that every one will be surpassed before this thing runs it course. Bottom line is that we simply don't know how many are infected.

Split Personality
2.2.25  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.23    4 weeks ago
They just threatened to withhold all the medicine we came to rely on via our shity leaders.

Can you elaborate?

There have been articles since day one about the potential for disruption of about 150 potential drugs manufactured in China, but it is a tiny percentage compared to all drugs from all sources.

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-threatens-drug-shortage-318c9e7b-5d92-4a5e-b992-2478023c6d01.html

https://www.drugbank.ca/stats

Drug Statistics

Total Number of Small Molecule Drugs 11360
Total Number of Biotech Drugs 2131
Total Number of Approved Drugs 4004
Total Number of Approved Small Molecule Drugs 2640
Total Number of Nutraceutical Drugs 130
Total Number of Experimental Drugs 6354
Total Number of Illicit Drugs 204
Total Number of Withdrawn Drugs 260
Total Number of Drugs 13491

Split Personality
2.2.26  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.18    4 weeks ago

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#page-top

death rate for "closed cases" currently at 6%

loki12
2.2.27  loki12  replied to  loki12 @2.2.19    4 weeks ago

I'm going to just start posting [deletedand eliminate the middle man.

Paula Bartholomew
2.2.28  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.16    4 weeks ago

According to the NY Times, infected persons in the US are 500 plus and 19 deaths.  But it has been reported that the data base for CV is flawed so it could be more.

Ozzwald
2.2.29  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.24    4 weeks ago
Under reporting?  So all those numbers you gave are going to stay that way?

Your argument is disingenuous at best, and an outright lie at worst.  I specifically stated that none of the numbers are accurate, why you seem to think that justifies your question is well beyond me.

Vic Eldred
2.2.30  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.29    4 weeks ago
Your argument is disingenuous at best, and an outright lie at worst. 

I'm sorry for your confusion. I'm not disingenuous and I don't lie. I calls 'em as I sees 'em!

Vic Eldred
2.2.31  Vic Eldred  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.2.28    4 weeks ago

Here from the CDC:

• Total cases: 647
  • Total deaths: 25
  • Jurisdictions reporting cases: 36 (includes District of Columbia)

*   Data include both confirmed and presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 reported to CDC or tested at CDC since January 21, 2020, with the exception of testing results for persons repatriated to the United States from Wuhan, China and Japan. State and local public health departments are now testing and publicly reporting their cases. In the event of a discrepancy between CDC cases and cases reported by state and local public health officials, data reported by states should be considered the most up to date.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

Jasper2529
2.2.32  Jasper2529  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.15    4 weeks ago
Google.  

Seriously? Many people ditched Google years ago, because it isn't a reliable search engine. A more accurate search engine is DuckDuckGo.

You should try it sometime.

Please try DDG - you won't regret it.

GregTx
3  GregTx    4 weeks ago

lady in black
4  lady in black    4 weeks ago

Here's a republican stable genius s/

Moron of the first degree

https://news.yahoo.com/texas-gop-rep-louie-gohmert-035300777.html?.tsrc=jtc_news_index

Texas GOP Rep. Louie Gohmert, exposed to the coronavirus, is back in Congress, leading public tours

Split Personality
4.1  Split Personality  replied to  lady in black @4    4 weeks ago

He is  a pox upon Texas.

lady in black
4.1.1  lady in black  replied to  Split Personality @4.1    4 weeks ago

If he has it and spreads it I hope he gets sued!!!!  And the father from Minnesota who broke quarantine was read the riot act.

Split Personality
4.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  lady in black @4.1.1    4 weeks ago

The idiot from Dartmouth was told to self quarantine and showed up that night at a faculty party and got more people sick.

https://wgme.com/news/coronavirus/several-dartmouth-students-under-self-quarantine-in-nh

lady in black
4.1.3  lady in black  replied to  Split Personality @4.1.2    4 weeks ago

If you are told to self quarantine damn it do it!!!!!

People are so selfish!!!!

Paula Bartholomew
4.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  lady in black @4.1.1    4 weeks ago

China has resorted to using ankle monitors on some of their infected so they will know if a person leaves their home.  They don't plan to use "kid gloves" on anyone breaking quarantine either.

Paula Bartholomew
4.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Split Personality @4.1.2    4 weeks ago

If this idiot is on the faculty, he should be fired immediately.

Trout Giggles
4.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  lady in black @4    4 weeks ago

When was he exposed and has he been tested? And if that info is in your link, tell me to click on it and READ, dammit.

(I'm lazy)

lady in black
4.2.1  lady in black  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2    4 weeks ago
Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas), like   several of his colleagues , was informed he was exposed to the novel coronavirus at the Conservative Political Action Conference in late February. Unlike his colleagues, Gohmert   declined to self-quarantine , saying Monday that a doctor from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention cleared him to return to Washington. So he did.

So big deal, a dr. cleared him (what was the name of the doctor), he should still self quarantine to be on the safe side.  

Trout Giggles
4.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  lady in black @4.2.1    4 weeks ago

Ok, so HE says a doctor cleared him. Typical.

I hope he doesn't have it and doesn't spread it to other people

lady in black
4.2.3  lady in black  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.2    4 weeks ago

It would be one thing if he was in his office staying put but to be giving PUBLIC TOURS, brain-dead republican at his finest.

Trout Giggles
4.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  lady in black @4.2.3    4 weeks ago

absolutely!

And I forgot to say thanks for doing my homework for me!

Paula Bartholomew
4.2.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.2    4 weeks ago

He probably used the same doctor that Cpt Bone Spurs used to dodge the draft.

Trout Giggles
4.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.2.5    4 weeks ago

LOL!

Kavika
5  Kavika     4 weeks ago

Cases/death/cured by country as of today. It's up dated every day.

Confirmed Cases and Deaths by Country, Territory, or Conveyance

The   coronavirus   COVID-19 is affecting   115 countries and territories   around the world and   1 international conveyance   (the   Diamond Princess   cruise ship harbored in Yokohama, Japan).   The day is reset after midnight GMT+0 .

Search:
Country,
Other
Total
Cases
New
Cases
Total
Deaths
New
Deaths
Total
Recovered
Active
Cases
Serious,
Critical
Tot Cases/
1M pop
China 80,761 +26 3,136 +17 60,113 17,512 4,794 56.1
Italy 9,172 463 724 7,985 733 151.7
Iran 8,042 +881 291 +54 2,731 5,020 95.7
S. Korea 7,513 +35 58 +5 247 7,208 54 146.5
Spain 1,650 +419 35 +5 135 1,480 101 35.3
France 1,606 +194 30 12 1,564 66 24.6
Germany 1,307 +83 2 18 1,287 9 15.6
USA 729 +25 27 +1 15 687 8 2.2
Diamond Princess 696 7 245 444 32
Japan 581 +51 10 +1 102 469 31 4.6
Switzerland 497 +123 3 +1 3 491 57.4
Netherlands 382 +61 4 378 1 22.3
UK 373 +52 6 +1 18 349 5.5
Sweden 346 +86 1 345 1 34.3
Belgium 267 +28 1 266 2 23.0
Denmark 262 +172 1 261 45.2
Norway 261 +34 1 260 48.1
Austria 182 +51 4 178 1 20.2
Singapore 166 +6 93 73 10 28.4
Malaysia 129 +12 24 105 2 4.0
Hong Kong 118 +2 3 59 56 6 15.7
Bahrain 110 +1 22 88 64.6
Australia 103 +10 3 22 78 1 4.0
Greece 89 +5 89 1 8.5
Canada 77 1 8 68 1 2.0
UAE 74 +15 12 62 2 7.5
Iraq 71 7 15 49 1.8
Iceland 69 +4 1 68
Kuwait 69 +4 1 68 3 16.2
Egypt 59 1 1 57 0.6
Israel 58 +8 4 54 1 6.7
India 56 +9 4 52
Thailand 53 +3 1 33 19 1 0.8
San Marino 51 2 49 5
Taiwan 47 +2 1 17 29 2.0
Lebanon 41 1 +1 1 39 3 6.0
Czechia 41 +3 41 3.8
Portugal 41 +2 41 1 4.0
Finland 40 +7 1 39 7.2
Philippines 33 +9 1 2 30 1 0.3
Brazil 31 +6 31 1 0.1
Vietnam 31 16 15 0.3
Slovenia 31 +6 31 14.9
Indonesia 27 +8 2 25 0.1
Palestine 26 +1 26 5.1
Romania 25 +8 5 20 1.3
Ireland 24 24 4.9
Qatar 24 +6 24 8.3
Algeria 20 20 0.5
Russia 20 3 17 0.1
Saudi Arabia 20 1 19 0.6
Poland 20 +3 20 2 0.5
Oman 18 9 9 3.5
Pakistan 18 +2 2 16 0.1
Argentina 17 1 16 0.4
Chile 17 +4 17 0.9
Ecuador 15 15 1 0.9
Georgia 15 15 1 3.8
Croatia 14 +1 14 3.4
Estonia 13 +3 13 9.8
Costa Rica 13 +4 13 1 2.6
Hungary 12 +3 12 1.2
Azerbaijan 11 +2 11 1.1
Peru 11 +2 11 0.3
Macao 10 10 0
Albania 10 +4 10 3.5
Belarus 9 +3 3 6 1.0
Latvia 8 +2 1 7 4.2
North Macedonia 7 +2 7 3.4
Mexico 7 4 3 1 0.1
Slovakia 7 7 1.3
South Africa 7 7 0.1
Brunei 6 +5 6
Maldives 6 6
Afghanistan 5 +1 5 0.1
Dominican Republic 5 5 0.5
Luxembourg 5 5
New Zealand 5 5 1.0
Tunisia 5 5 0.4
Bosnia and Herzegovina 5 5 1.5
French Guiana 5 5
Malta 5 +1 5
Senegal 4 1 3 0.2
Bulgaria 4 4 0.6
Serbia 4 +2 4 0.5
Morocco 3 +1 1 +1 2 1 0.1
Cambodia 3 +1 1 2 0.2
Bangladesh 3 3
Colombia 3 3 0.1
Moldova 3 +2 3 0.7
Nigeria 2 2
Burkina Faso 2 +1 2 0.1
Cameroon 2 2 0.1
Cyprus 2 2 1.7
Faeroe Islands 2 2
Martinique 2 2
Saint Martin 2 2
Andorra 1 1
Armenia 1 1 0.3
Jordan 1 1 0.1
Lithuania 1 1 0.4
Monaco 1 1
Nepal 1 1 0
Sri Lanka 1 1 0
Ukraine 1 1
Bhutan 1 1
Channel Islands 1 1
Gibraltar 1 1 0
Vatican City 1 1
Liechtenstein 1 1
Mongolia 1 +1 1 0.3
Panama 1 +1 1 0.2
Paraguay 1 1 0.1
St. Barth 1 1
Togo 1 1 0.1
Total: 116,871 2,509 4,095 87 64,752 48,024 5,879 15.0
Highlighted in green
= all cases have recovered from the infection
Highlighted in grey
= all cases have had an outcome (there are no active cases)

The "New" columns for China display the previous day changes (as China reports after the day is over). For all other countries, the "New" columns display the changes for the current day while still in progress.

[ back to top ↑ ]

Latest Updates

Split Personality
5.1  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @5    4 weeks ago

So are "we" saying that people in Togo, Bhutan, and the Channel Islands can get test kits

and we can't in the USA?

and the death rate for "closed cases" is 6%...

jrSmiley_72_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
5.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Split Personality @5.1    4 weeks ago

Are the Channel Islands the ones off of the coast of CA?

Split Personality
5.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.1.1    4 weeks ago

They are tiny British protectorates off the coast of France

Paula Bartholomew
5.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.2    4 weeks ago

Thank you.  I just didn't know.