╌>

People are coming together across U.S. to support local Chinatowns amid Coronavirus fears

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  164 comments

By:   Julian Shen-Berro

People are coming together across U.S. to support local Chinatowns amid Coronavirus fears
“It's the love that Chicagoans, and specifically people of color, have for Chinatown,” one Latino organizer said.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

When Jose Corcoles saw how coronavirus fears were taking a toll on Chicago's Chinatown, emptying out streets typically humming with residents and tourists, the last thought on his mind was staying away.

He turned to social media and with his friend Carlos Matias organized a restaurant crawl for the end of February. He said he expected five, maybe 10 people to show up, but when the day came, despite frigid temperatures, the turnout was closer to 100. And that is representative of groups nationwide doing the same.

Foot traffic in Chinatowns across the country has plummeted, with   some restaurants   reporting losing   as much as 80 percent   of their business. In some cases, restaurants have had to close — including   four dim sum parlors   this week in Sunset Park, home to Brooklyn’s sprawling Chinatown.

200310-new-york-coronavirus-chinatown-em An empty restaurant in New York's Chinatown on Feb. 13, 2020. Spencer Platt / Getty Images

Corcoles, 29, an artist and educator, told NBC Asian America that his effort was rooted in a sense of solidarity. “It's the love that Chicagoans, and specifically people of color, have for Chinatown,” he said.

As a child of Mexican and Guatemalan immigrants, Corcoles said he felt sympathetic to Asian Americans who have faced xenophobia as a result of the virus, and emphasized the importance of building "some solidarity across racial divisions.”

Across the country, politicians, organizers and nonprofits have begun efforts to support Chinatown communities. In many cities, city officials and council members have made public shows of support, sitting down for lunches at Chinatown restaurants and inviting others to do the same.

Karen Chen, the executive director of the Chinese Progressive Association in Boston, said that while the city's Chinatown isn’t quite deserted, “you do see a decline in business.” She has been pleased to see local government officials combating misinformation and supporting the Chinese American community — just last month, two city councilors brought in hundreds of customers for   a dim sum brunch   to dispel fears about the local Chinatown. But she said she would like to see more from state and federal governments.

Chen believes that the avoidance of Chinatown stems from “prejudice and racism.”

“Some people are using it as a chance to attack China,” she said of the virus. “To me, as a Chinese American living in the U.S., this tension between the U.S. and China will hurt Chinese Americans here in our community.”

In San Francisco, Facebook announced last month that it would donate $20,000 to the Chinese Newcomers Service Center, a nonprofit, to fund a “shop local” advertising campaign for Chinatown businesses. A spokeswoman for the company added that an additional $5,000 was provided in Facebook ad credit.

In New York, the nonprofit crime prevention group Guardian Angels has sent volunteer safety patrols to provide Asian Americans with informal protection against hate crimes. Just last week, a video surfaced online appearing to show someone on the New York subway yelling at an Asian American man before spraying him with air freshener,   prompting the NYPD Hate Crime Task Force   to investigate. And globally,   reports of hostility and xenophobia   are on the rise.

“If anybody’s harassing you, if anybody’s targeting you, anyone’s thinking that you’re a carrier because you’re carrying a mask, they’ll have to deal with us,” Curtis Sliwa, founder of the Guardian Angels, told   Discovering Eyes , a channel supported by the China Global Television Network. “We’ll physically intervene. We’ll break up fights and disputes. We’ll make citizen’s arrests.”

The group’s members now patrol the streets of Chinatown every day, and some have made a point of eating at its restaurants in hopes that others will follow.

To Corcoles, who said he may plan another restaurant crawl in the coming weeks, the goal right now is to rekindle a sense of community.

“We are living in a super political moment that sees us creating a lot of borders and a lot of divisions, between people and between races and nations,” he said. “I was really just hoping to create community.”

He said that, to him, this means getting out of the house and into the city to support those who need it. For now, Corcoles plans to do just that, and hopes others will follow.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

Good to see that support is being given.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    4 years ago

We have an Asian Buffet nearby that serves many different kinds of Chinese food. I'm not big on Ginger which is one of the major spices used in Chinese food, so make most of my own Chinese food at home. That way I can use the spices that I like and forgo the ones I don't.

However, one in a great while I will go to the Asian Buffet and some sweet and sour shrimp and egg rolls. A treat when I have been a really good girl. Uh...em....that is why I don't go there too often. jrSmiley_89_smiley_image.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     4 years ago
Good to see that support is being given.

Absolutely. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3  Freefaller    4 years ago

Mmmm Chinese food, haven't had any in a while.  I think I will this weekend.  Anyone who is using the virus to display their prejudice probably already had problems prior to the breakount

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Freefaller @3    4 years ago

I have a favorite little hole in the wall about 5 minutes from my house. They make it so easy to order (on-line) then I can pick it up through a drive=thru window. And they have the best crab rangoon.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    4 years ago
I have a favorite little hole in the wall about 5 minutes

Sweet.  I have a 40 minute drive mostly at highway speed to get to my fave place. It's definitely a dive but the foods good, service fast and is reasonably priced 

It doesn't have crab Rangoon, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for it whenever I get to a big-city Chinese place

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5  Nerm_L    4 years ago

No wonder global civilization melted down in only nine weeks.  It's been held together by fluff and good wishes.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

I might be the only NT member who eats Chinese food EVERY day.  LOL

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    4 years ago

Not every day for me, but, at least 3 times a week. Chinese is one of my favorites, and Stir-Fry is #1 for me. I make my own at home so I can vary it to my own liking.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  Raven Wing @6.1    4 years ago
Stir-Fry is #1 for me.

Lol same here, so easy, fast and tasty

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Freefaller @6.1.1    4 years ago

The wok is probably the most important cooking item in our kitchen.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    4 years ago

Are you hungry an hour later?jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif   Me, I could eat steamed rice every day and not get tired of it.  But the problem is for some reason rice gives me hiccups so I don't eat it very often.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.2    4 years ago

Rice or noodles are the most common everyday items here, although I still prefer potatoes.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
6.3  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    4 years ago
I might be the only NT member who eats Chinese food EVERY day.

Ha!!

squiggy
Junior Silent
7  squiggy    4 years ago

Nice optics but eating in a crowd has flopped everywhere.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  squiggy @7    4 years ago

I am betting that take out orders or food delivery services sales are surging.

squiggy
Junior Silent
7.1.1  squiggy  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.1    4 years ago

Yes, people are gushing to place something in their mouths from the hands of a stranger.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  squiggy @7.1.1    4 years ago

Like you never ordered a pizza.

Professor Guide
7.1.3  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.1.2    4 years ago
Like you never ordered a pizza.

A few puffs of Matanuska TF and he'll be ordering from every place in town, cooties be damned.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.4  Krishna  replied to  squiggy @7.1.1    4 years ago

Yes, people are gushing to place something in their mouths from the hands of a stranger.

So you actually think eating at home is safer...because the food on the shelves in the supermarkets where you by it...was never actually touched by human hands?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7.1.5  Freefaller  replied to  squiggy @7.1.1    4 years ago

Well I did rather enjoy my takeout beef noodle bowl tonite

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8  Vic Eldred    4 years ago

It's nice to see the sentiments above, but the article above is implying that people are not eating Chinese food for a specific reason and it's not because of the valid fear of becoming ill. They are falsely claiming "racism.'

Chen believes that the avoidance of Chinatown stems from “prejudice and racism.”

That is simply not true. People have been frightened of getting the disease. A disease that originated in a market in China. A disease that spread because the Chinese government lied about it's existence and allowed it to spread worldwide. All of that is a valid fear based on the way the American media has covered the event.

So lets get it straight. People are afraid. It has nothing to do with race!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8    4 years ago

But it does.  These are Chinatowns in the US.  These restaurants are not subject to the Chinese government.  They are not shopping in markets on mainland China.  Most are probably owned and run by people who haven't been to China for years, if ever (second or third generation immigrants).

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1    4 years ago

And people are simply afraid to eat Chinese food! The disease began at a market in China. It is perfectly natural to have that fear.

If progressives want to demonstrate that the fear is invalid, they should do what Boston's Mayor Menino did with a similar Chinese virus years ago. He went into Boston's Chinatown every day and had lunch there. Set an example for the rest of us, but please don't call it "racism."!!!!!!!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.1    4 years ago
The disease began at a market in China.

Where these restaurants are not buying food.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.2    4 years ago

If you think you can reassure people with that - good luck. The media has the country in an absolute frenzy. Look at the way people are buying toilet paper and disinfectant.

user image
Freshman Silent
8.1.4    replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1    4 years ago

You don't think they don't have family coming to and from China? It's a valid concern. Not rooted in racism. Just a side note Asian people themselves can be among the most prejudiced groups of people you can come across. Sometimes it's good for a group of people to have a humbling experience. Some people have the virus without showing any symptoms.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.1    4 years ago
It is perfectly natural to have that fear.

It's a natural reaction for people who lack critical thinking skills

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  @8.1.4    4 years ago

I've noticed that the people who do the most complaining about other races/cultures being prejudiced are prejudiced themselves.

I haven't met very many prejudiced Asians

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.7  Vic Eldred  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.5    4 years ago
It's a natural reaction for people who lack critical thinking skills

Maybe. What is more damning would be the kind of hate required to call the reaction "racism."

user image
Freshman Silent
8.1.8    replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.6    4 years ago
I've noticed that the people who do the most complaining about other races/cultures being prejudiced are prejudiced themselves.

So is that your opinion of the author of this seed?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.9  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.3    4 years ago

Then surely,  sales of pizza and pasta will tank, considering conditions in Italy.

Then again, maybe not.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  @8.1.4    4 years ago

They need a humbling experience?  That sounds like a justification for racism.

user image
Freshman Silent
8.1.11    replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.10    4 years ago

Please don't misquote me. I said sometimes it's good, I didn't say they need it. Don't be disingenuous.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.12  sandy-2021492  replied to  @8.1.11    4 years ago

Oh, well, so long as it's only sometimes.  Defending racism is awesome, so long as it's only occasional racism.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.13  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.9    4 years ago
Then surely,  sales of pizza and pasta will tank, considering conditions in Italy.

If one has a progressive mindset it might follow.

You would have to see things through a very race based lense to even think about that.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.14  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.12    4 years ago
Defending racism is awesome, so long as it's only occasional racism.

To project it is disgusting!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.15  Trout Giggles  replied to  @8.1.8    4 years ago

Did I say it was?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.16  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.13    4 years ago

I had pasta last night and will probably have pizza tonite. Wanna call me racist?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.17  Vic Eldred  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.16    4 years ago

Absolutely not!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.18  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.13    4 years ago

Don't accuse me of racism, Vic.

Acknowledging racism isn't racism.

Nor is noticing double standards.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.19  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.14    4 years ago

I'm projecting nothing.  I'm not the one who's defending racism here.  You must look to others for that.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.20  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.18    4 years ago
Don't accuse me of racism, Vic.

I never made it personal. You personally never entered the conversation.

Acknowledging racism isn't racism.

It is not acknowledging something - it is making a false claim and it is being done by the left and yes, it is a form of hate!

Nor is noticing double standards.

There are no double standards. The disease began in a Chinese market not in Italy or the US.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.21  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.19    4 years ago
I'm projecting nothing.

Not you - Karen Chen, remember?

I'm not the one who's defending racism here

There IS NONE!

You must look to others for that.

You must look at the hate coming from the left.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.22  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.20    4 years ago
The disease began in a Chinese market not in Italy or the US.

Like I said the critical thinkers amongst know this and aren't afraid to eat in Chinese restaurants. Hmmm.....who brought that up, Vic?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.23  Vic Eldred  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.22    4 years ago
Like I said the critical thinkers amongst know this and aren't afraid to eat in Chinese restaurants.

And like I said, haters on the left project "racism."  So, you tell me which is worse - fear or hate?

Hmmm.

Ya Hmmm!

who brought that up, Vic?

It is the basis of the article, don't ya know!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.24  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.23    4 years ago

hate is rooted in fear

And I thought the basis of the article was how Chicagoans are coming together to support their neighbors in Chinatown?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.25  Vic Eldred  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.24    4 years ago
hate is rooted in fear

False!  

Fear can be valid or unwarranted.
Example: People getting into lifeboats on the Titanic were justifiably frightened. People who are hypochondriacs fear without reason.

Hate on the other hand can be taught - like it is by leftist in the university.

Lesson is over for the day.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.26  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.23    4 years ago

[deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.27  Vic Eldred  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.24    4 years ago
And I thought the basis of the article was how Chicagoans are coming together to support their neighbors in Chinatown?

Nope, there was a little narrative tucked in nicely, which I rooted out for ya.  No charge.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.28  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @8.1.26    4 years ago

removed for context

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.29  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.21    4 years ago

Bullshit, Vic.  One person here expressly justified racism upthread in black and white.  And that person is not a leftist.  Ignoring that exposes some unjustified biases.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.30  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.25    4 years ago

Yes, hate can be taught, usually by ignorant, immoral parents whose only book is the King James Bible and the TV is only on Fox News.

But hate is rooted in fear...what one does not understand one becomes fearful of it which in turns leads to hate. Ever hear people say they hate snakes or spiders? It's because they fear them.

There's your lesson for the day. Try to have a nice day.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.31  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.28    4 years ago

Only because you can't delete comments on this one. Of course a seed can be civil when everyone agrees with one another

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.32  Trout Giggles  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.30    4 years ago

King James Bible - which they haven't bothered to read

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.33  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.31    4 years ago

'Only because you can't delete comments on this one.'  jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

'Of course a seed can be civil when everyone agrees with one another'

You got that right TG!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.34  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.27    4 years ago

You read something into the article that really wasn't there and then tried to justify people's fears and hate.

Have a nice day, Vic

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.35  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.28    4 years ago
'I guess only on your seeds/threads . . . Vic?'

'It seems that way, doesn't it?'

You know what I meant.  It's okay for you to stir up stuff here and you can't delete when someone tells you the facts/calls you on your BS.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.36  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.29    4 years ago
Bullshit, Vic. 

You and I don't need that. We talk substance.

One person here expressly justified racism upthread in black and white.

Then you need to take that up with them. I'm attacking a vicious narrative I am constantly seeing from the left and the msm that either the government or citizens acting with caution is somehow "racist." It is a very hateful accusation. Iv'e heard it repeatedly on CNN and MSNBC.

Ignoring that exposes some unjustified biases.

Sorry, my concern is what is contained in this article.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.37  Vic Eldred  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.30    4 years ago
Yes, hate can be taught, usually by ignorant, immoral parents whose only book is the King James Bible and the TV is only on Fox News.

Usually by College Professors.

But hate is rooted in fear...what one does not understand one becomes fearful of it which in turns leads to hate.

That's the old sense of the word. Not what is happening today.

There's your lesson for the day.

[deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.39  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.29    4 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.40  Texan1211  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.30    4 years ago

[deleted]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.41  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.36    4 years ago

I'm in an online forum for dentists.  Early on in the coronavirus crisis, one dentist of Asian descent told us of a patient who refused to let the dentist examine her, because she was afraid he had coronavirus.  This dentist was born in the US.  He hadn't travelled recently, nor been near anyone who had, and coronavirus wasn't in the US yet.  The patient was perfectly willing to be seen by the white dental hygienist, whose whiteness, in the pt's mind, protected her from infection with the virus, even though she worked with the Asian dentist (who must be infected, because he was Asian).

It's racism, Vic.  Ignoring or explaining away blatant racism enables it, and is a form of racism in itself.  And acting on unjustified race-based fears is racism.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.42  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.25    4 years ago
like it is by leftist in the university.

A hateful statement, in itself.

Dulay
Professor Expert
8.1.43  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.1    4 years ago
If progressives want to demonstrate that the fear is invalid, they should do what Boston's Mayor Menino did with a similar Chinese virus years ago. He went into Boston's Chinatown every day and had lunch there. Set an example for the rest of us, but please don't call it "racism."!!!!!!!

Yes, because fact based arguments mean so much less than 'progressives going to eat in a Chinatown restaurant. /s

BTFW, COVID-19 is no more Chinese than the Swine Flu is American. Viruses don't  have a nationality or an ethnicity. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.45  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.41    4 years ago
It's racism, Vic.

It's not racism, Sandra and I'll explain (using your own example). Suppose for a minute there was no Coronavirus pandemic. Do you think a patient would have refused the services of a dentist who happened to be "Asian?"   The answer is NO!

There is an underlying reason - Fear of infection! Not because the dentist was Asian.

Ignoring or explaining away blatant racism enables it, and is a form of racism in itself.

It almost sounds like something Howard Zinn would say. Howard Zinn found racism everywhere he looked in America. He was wrong. Pure & simple! Falsely accusing people of racism is more egregious than "racism."  Do you understand what I'm saying?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.47  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kathleen @8.1.44    4 years ago

So are people who won't eat in Chinese restaurants in the US, who have food suppliers in the US, and who aren't subject to the Chinese government.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.48  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.42    4 years ago

The word professors is missing. Going too fast!

I'm sorry you think so.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.49  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.45    4 years ago

Jesus Christ, Vic.  How are you ignoring the fact that the patient was perfectly willing to be treated by the WHITE hygienist, who works in close proximity with the dentist, and who had every bit as much chance of being infected as the dentist?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.50  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.48    4 years ago

It's hateful to accuse those with whom you have a political disagreement of teaching hate.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.51  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @8.1.43    4 years ago
Yes, because fact based arguments mean so much less than 'progressives going to eat in a Chinatown restaurant.

It's called setting an example. Time to put up or shut up!

[deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.52  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.49    4 years ago
Jesus Christ, Vic.  How are you ignoring the fact that the patient was perfectly willing to be treated by the WHITE hygienist, who works in close proximity with the dentist, and who had every bit as much chance of being infected as the dentist?

I got that, but you are missing what racism means. If it was racism the patient would NEVER be willing to be treated by an Asian dentist. I guess you just can't see that.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.53  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.47    4 years ago

He doesn't see it, Sandy. Let it go.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.55  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.49    4 years ago

He can't. [deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.56  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.51    4 years ago

[deleted]  He calls COVID-19 the Wuhan virus

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.57  Texan1211  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.42    4 years ago

Is it on par with this:

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.58  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.50    4 years ago
It's hateful to accuse those with whom you have a political disagreement of teaching hate.

It is the same as people thinking they can designate others as misogynist. It is almost always a subjective term, but when "racism" is applied to large groups of people who are frightened of a pandemic, I have to call it hate. The left should be working with the rest of us to protect Americans, instead of politicizing this. Calling people racist is one of the worst things one can do. I assume that is why the left does it - they can't find a word strong enough to smear those they don't like or hate!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.59  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.52    4 years ago

And you're missing the point that the racist patient was willing to see a white hygienist in the same office where the "infected" Asian dentist practiced.

Same as you're missing the point that Italian restaurants aren't hurting.

It's racism.  You declaring it not so doesn't make it not so.

People used to say that African Americans carried different diseases from whites.  That was racism, too.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.60  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.52    4 years ago
I got that, but you are missing what racism means. If it was racism the patient would NEVER be willing to be treated by an Asian dentist. I guess you just can't see that.

A reasonable statement.

Which is probably why it was immediately scoffed at.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.61  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kathleen @8.1.54    4 years ago

Ok, so wet markets in China aren't what we're talking about here.  This article is about Chicago's Chinatown.  Yes, people have the right not to eat there.  If their reasoning is because they think that coronavirus selects for Asian victims, and they are more likely to get coronavirus from eating there, it's still racism.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.62  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.58    4 years ago
that is why the left does it

Remember that the next time somebody accused the DNC of being racist.  Make sure you hold them to the same standards you insist on applying to the left.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.63  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.59    4 years ago
And you're missing the point that the racist patient was willing to see a white hygienist in the same office where the "infected" Asian dentist practi

Oh God help us, that damn white hygienist! I am quite sure the decent but frightened patient would have seen a black one!

Same as you're missing the point that Italian restaurants aren't hurting.

That is a failed point, right down there with "why don't we wall off the northern border?"

It's racism.

It is clearly not!

You declaring it not so doesn't make it not so.

And your'e declaring it so doesn't make it so!

People used to say that African Americans carried different diseases from whites. 

Sorry, I never heard that one, then again I'm not consumed with "race."

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1.64  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.62    4 years ago

Everyone on this thread:

Knock it off. This is supposed to be a pleasant article. Only warning.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.66  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.63    4 years ago
I never heard that one, then again I'm not consumed with "race."

You haven't paid attention, then.

user image
Freshman Silent
8.1.68    replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.29    4 years ago

You are yet again misrepresenting what I said. I never justified racism. I said sometimes it's good for a group of people to be humbled. The Coronavirus is doing the humbling, not the people you think are being racist. Constructive criticism often gets confused with racism to those on the left.

Professor Guide
8.1.69  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8.1.64    4 years ago
Knock it off. This is supposed to be a pleasant article. Only warning.

Say it isn't so!   I had a fab giggle to post.  It was so funny, I was planning on upping my own comment, but for you, I'll behave.

Dulay
Professor Expert
8.1.70  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.51    4 years ago
It's called setting an example. Time to put up or shut up!

I see that the concept of a fact based argument went right over your head. 

BTFW, it may surprise you but not all progressives live in a city with a Chinatown. Hell, some of us have a hard time getting authentic Chinese food. 

I am hereby re-naming it. It's the China virus!

Petulance isn't relevant. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1.73  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.1    4 years ago

The disease began at a market in China.

It may or may not have.  Scientists are still trying to find out exactly where the origin was.  It has been theorized that it came from smuggled pangolin meat but they are still investigating that.  If it is proven that is the source, it most likely did come from a market, but smugglers sell to anyone, anywhere.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1.74  Krishna  replied to  Kathleen @8.1.54    4 years ago
Eating in a Chinese restaurant in the US would not bother me. I got carry out Chinese yesterday. I would not eat at a wet market in China though. Some people do get really scared though, I am not blaming them for that. If they choose not to eat at these restaurants, that is their right whether you or I disagree.

I know some people who feel that way-- but who will eat in non-Chinese restaurants.

But in the last day or two I've also come across people who won't eat in any restaurant (they don't want to eat anywhere "where people gather"). They say that where there is a group of people, they are afraid one or more pf them may have the virus-- perhaps sneezing or coughing without covering their nose or mouth. 

So they only eat at home.

But I wonder-- even the food we eat at home-- how many people have come in contact with that food from it source, to its being processed and packed, to it being transported to the store where you buy it? And then there are the people who unpack it, and then those who place it on the shelves.

And what are the large number of people who shop in those stores every day?

I don't know if its true or not, but I've heard that this Virus has a lower percentage of deaths than some of the other serious epidemics we had, but its more contagious.

Dulay
Professor Expert
8.1.75  Dulay  replied to  Kathleen @8.1.46    4 years ago

Nor has the US and we are supposed to be an open society. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1.76  Krishna  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1    4 years ago
But it does.  These are Chinatowns in the US.  These restaurants are not subject to the Chinese government.  They are not shopping in markets on mainland China.  Most are probably owned and run by people who haven't been to China for years, if ever (second or third generation immigrants).

Shortly after reading this seed and the comments, by coincidence (or was it a coincidence?) ) I came across a video on this very subject. Serious-- but with some good moments of humour as well.

And for fans of "Watter's World" ...well he makes several appearances as well! (You people who only watch MSNBC or CNN won't know what I;m talking about here-- but even if you've never watched Watter's World or Fox news I'm sure you'll find the video relevant). Starts off a bit slow-- but really picks up towards the end...LOL!):

The O'Reilly Factor Gets Racist in Chinatown: The Daily Show

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.3  Krishna  replied to  Vic Eldred @8    4 years ago
A disease that spread because the Chinese government lied about it's existence and allowed it to spread worldwide.

Yes, by the Chinese government-- aided and abetted by our "Dear Leader" and his incredibly dumb sycophantic cronies!

Corona Virus - The Pan dumb ic

In our line of work you shake hands. The President will continue to do that, I will continue to do that.

--Vice President Mike Pence, Medical expert and role model extraordinaire

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.3.1  Gordy327  replied to  Krishna @8.3    4 years ago
--Vice President Mike Pence,

Brilliant! Appoint someone to head a virus task force whose idea of curing diseases is to pray them away. Because we shouldn't appoint actual doctors or scientists to deal with the problem. What do they know? >sarc<

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.3.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Gordy327 @8.3.1    4 years ago
Because we shouldn't appoint actual doctors or scientists to deal with the problem. What do they know? >sarc<

If they did that, then Trump and his ignorant masses could not continue to blame the crises on Obama as they do now.

And doing things that would be the most intelligent and effective things to do would not be in keeping with the ideals of the Trump empire.

/s

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.3.3  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @8.3    4 years ago
In our line of work you shake hands. The President will continue to do that, I will continue to do that. --Vice President Mike Pence, Medical expert and role model extraordinaire

After you click that link, scroll up to see the video.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.3.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @8.3    4 years ago

Okay, let's do an article about covid-19 conspiracy theories and misinformation. People are dropping dead and their bodies are lying in the streets.  There have been 60,000 deaths and the crematoriums are working 24 hours a day.  Marijuana is a cure for the virus.  The virus was being prepared in a Wuhan laboratory to spread among the Hong Kong protesters and it leaked out, and the latest whopper is that the Chinese government developed it and allowed it to spread in order to reduce the burgeoning aging population for economic reasons (it is much more fatal among older people).

Notwithstanding all that bullshit, the government IS at fault for an original coverup and many Chinese people are aware of it - but once it became known the government has done an effective job in dealing with it, and the people have been very careful.  The scourge is now starting to ebb in China.

And before blaming China for everything, remember that Swine Flu started in California.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.3.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.3.4    4 years ago

Swine Flu started in California

The swine-origin influenza A (H1N1) virus that appeared in 2009 and was first found in human beings in Mexico.

user image
Freshman Silent
9      4 years ago

I hope they take care of this Coronavirus before tick season. Otherwise you could end up with a corona and lyme

Professor Guide
9.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  @9    4 years ago
I hope they take care of this Coronavirus before tick season. Otherwise you could end up with a corona and lyme

Rudy Gobert was having all kinds of fun with the jokes and the sight gags.  He is now having to apologize for his idiocy... from a hospital bed. 

user image
Freshman Silent
9.1.1    replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @9.1    4 years ago

Stress kills too you know. You should have a good laugh sometimes. It's good medicine.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  @9.1.1    4 years ago

As soon as you say something funny, we'll all have a good belly laugh

Professor Guide
9.1.3  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.2    4 years ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

lady in black
Professor Quiet
9.1.4  lady in black  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @9.1.3    4 years ago

Have some laughs:

256 256

Professor Guide
9.1.5  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  lady in black @9.1.4    4 years ago

Hahahahahahaha!!!!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.2    4 years ago

I am too old to wait that long.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.1.7  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @9.1    4 years ago

Lyme is a disease and CV is a virus.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.1.8  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @9.1    4 years ago

My favorite incident is the basketball player who touched all of the mics on purpose before the interviews.  He has since tested positive.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @9.1.7    4 years ago

Lyme disease is carried by a bacteria (I think) transmitted to humans by the deer tick

Gordy327
Professor Expert
9.1.10  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.9    4 years ago

You are correct Trout. Lyme is caused by the bacteria Borrelia burgdoferi.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @9.1.10    4 years ago

Thanks. My Applied Entomology and Zoo-noses professor was one of the first people to do research on Lyme.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
11  Freefaller    4 years ago

Dayum not at all on topic but the impact of the coronavirus just got me as due to travel restrictions I can no longer fly to Tampa to visit my dad and brother next week.  This sucks.  Oh well off I go to tell them and see if the airline will give any of my money back.

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.1  Krishna  replied to  Freefaller @11    4 years ago

Dayum not at all on topic but the impact of the coronavirus just got me as due to travel restrictions I can no longer fly to Tampa to visit my dad and brother next week.  This sucks.  Oh well off I go to tell them and see if the airline will give any of my money back.

This Pandemic is inconveniencing many people personally-- in many ways.

And in addition, its effecting many businesses-- and people-- economically as well. So many people are now afraid to travel in the enclosed space of an airplane that if this continues as it has been the airlines will go bankrupt. (Unless Dear leader does a bailout of the airline industry-- but that goes against his political views).

I would predict that the number of cases of the Virus in the U.S. will escale dramatically in the next few days. (Already some schools are closed, and some sports teams ares till playing games...but the stands are empty of spectators). Business and Academic conferences have been cancelled-- or are taking place by video conferencing rather than having people gather in the same room).

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.1.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @11.1    4 years ago

And the stock market is crashing (except for a few stocks that are rising due to the Pandemic). Many peoples' savings looked to be wiped out. (Although smart professionals  know that as scary as it is, the best tactic is not to sell, but just try to "grin and bear it"-- the market will get back to normal eventually).

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.1.2  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @11.1    4 years ago
I would predict that the number of cases of the Virus in the U.S. will escale dramatically in the next few days.

And BTW I watched the Administration's news conference today. Trump looked really bad-- I've never seen him look so bad. My guess is that he already has the virus himself! jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @11.1.2    4 years ago

And what exactly do you base that diagnosis on, Doctor?

How did you determine that it wasn't a regular old cold, or flu, and that he must have the corona virus?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @11.1.2    4 years ago

If it was the news conference where he was asked about the official watchdog for potential pandemics being fired a couple of years ago, I saw it on the Chinese English language station - I couldn't believe it.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
11.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Freefaller @11    4 years ago

Have you considered going by train?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
11.2.1  Freefaller  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @11.2    4 years ago
Have you considered going by train?

Paula I love trains and would do that in a heartbeat if I had the time.  But it makes no difference the travel restrictions are not because of airlines or border control, etc, but are imposed by my work where the powers that be have decided we cannot leave the country.  Lol so instead of spending my vacay in wonderful warm Fl, I get to spend it hanging out at home in cold northern alberta.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
11.2.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Freefaller @11.2.1    4 years ago

A friend-of-a-friend on Facebook is a teacher in Vancouver.  She had planned to drive across the border to Washington to go to the beach, but the school system told teachers that if they leave the country, they have to self-quarantine for 2 weeks without pay, so she's staying put.

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.2.3  Kavika   replied to  Freefaller @11.2.1    4 years ago

It was 85 and sunny today here in Ocala (central Florida) and will be in the mid to high 80's for the next 10 days.

Dulay
Professor Expert
11.2.4  Dulay  replied to  Kavika @11.2.3    4 years ago

My friends who live in The Villages are heartbroken that Disneyland closed. They bought a lifetime membership and went their at least twice a week. So they went and bought a couple of cases of wine...

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.2.5  Kavika   replied to  Dulay @11.2.4    4 years ago
So they went and bought a couple of cases of wine...

My kind of people.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11.2.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @11.2.4    4 years ago

I assume they didn't get into a fight like the ones in today's feature article.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
11.2.7  Freefaller  replied to  sandy-2021492 @11.2.2    4 years ago
but the school system told teachers that if they leave the country, they have to self-quarantine for 2 weeks without pay

Lol sorta the same for me but if I left the country when I returned the military would charge me with AWOA and throw my ass in jail.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
11.2.8  Freefaller  replied to  Kavika @11.2.3    4 years ago
It was 85 and sunny today here 

Lol I hate you, it's close to a 100 degrees colder here

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.2.9  Kavika   replied to  Freefaller @11.2.8    4 years ago

Dulay
Professor Expert
11.2.10  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11.2.6    4 years ago

Nope, they're both retired PhD's in psychology. Physical violence isn't in their forte. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
11.2.11  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Dulay @11.2.4    4 years ago

DL is not far from me.  Tell your friends I would be happy to help with the wine.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
12  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

West Virginia has closed its public schools (either for 3 weeks or indefinitely, reports vary) to prevent spread of the virus.  Students who relied on school lunches and breakfasts have been a concern for everyone.  Many schools are serving lunch, but transportation is a problem for many students who live farther than walking distance from their schools.  But I've been seeing ads from multiple restaurants all over the state offering free lunches to students throughout the closings, and that has restored my faith in humanity.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
12.1  GaJenn78  replied to  sandy-2021492 @12    4 years ago

I'm in Metro Atl and our schools are closed indefinitely. My girls will be home doing school work :-(

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
12.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  GaJenn78 @12.1    4 years ago

Our schools were supposed to be using Monday as a day for teachers to prepare for online lessons, then kids would be back in school on Tuesday.  But now, schools are closed here in Virginia for 2 weeks, and the meeting about online lessons will be on the 23rd, instead. 

I haven't heard anything about meals for students here in our county.  There's a backpack program for needy kids I regularly donate to, but the announcement was so sudden, I don't know if they were able to put anything together, or if they'll be able to buy food to stuff backpacks.  Nonperishables were disappearing from the shelves on Friday.

Baron Creek
Junior Quiet
14  Baron Creek    4 years ago

I guess this talk about going to Chinese restaurants can take a break, imo... or any sit down restaurant, pub, bar or whatever for that matter. It will soon be take out or delivery only... in a lot of places.