Dow falls 2000 points as Trump's crisis response underwhelms traders, slams stocks

Via:  john-russell  •  3 weeks ago  •  191 comments

Dow falls 2000 points as Trump's crisis response underwhelms traders, slams stocks
Trading was temporarily suspended ahead of the opening bell on Thursday morning, after President Donald Trump's crisis response disappointed markets.

Response to Trump's Oval Office speech about coronavirus is being slammed by Wall St and the market is plummeting. 

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

NBC News

The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell by 1,700 points Thursday morning  after President Donald Trump’s long-awaited response to the coronavirus epidemic  triggered a massive sell-off on Wall Street.

All three major averages sank after Trump’s Oval Office address Wednesday night failed to satisfy traders who were hoping for more concrete steps to staunch any economic slowdown from the viral outbreak.

Trading had been temporarily halted early Thursday morning ahead of the opening bell, after all three major averages sank below the 5 percent "limit down" marker.

In his address from the Oval Office, Trump announced he would be halting all inbound flights from Europe in an effort to limit the spread of the coronavirus. That created immediate panic as Americans abroad rushed to buy last-minute tickets home, and also fueled trader concern that suspended travel and trade between the U.S. and the European Union would come at a steep economic cost.

Travel stocks continued their double digit plunge, with airlines and hotels hardest hit.

Markets were also underwhelmed by Trump's economic stimulus package, which offers emergency loans to small businesses, deferred tax payments for some people, but made no mention of paid sick leave or free testing for the coronavirus, which continues its spread across the U.S.

It's the second time this week that markets have suspended futures trading: The S&P 500 hit the threshold on Monday morning after an oil production spat between Russia and Saudi Arabia pushed the price of oil down by 30 percent overnight, the biggest drop since the Gulf War, in 1991.

Trading was also halted later that day, when the S&P fell by more than 7 percent just minutes after the opening bell on Monday, triggering a circuit breaker.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

JohnRussell
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 weeks ago

Trump is not up to it. What else is new? 

XDm9mm
1.1  XDm9mm  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 weeks ago
Trump is not up to it. What else is new

Well then JR, who is?  YOU???

Come on JR, we all know YOU have all the answers.  So share them.  Impress us with YOUR idea what the response should be.  You DO have ideas don't you?  

JohnRussell
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1    3 weeks ago

That is what you are reduced to?  Geez. 

What happened to all the braggadocio about your hero?  

I am not here to discuss what I would do. I dont have all the options or expert input that he is privvy to. 

He is not fit to lead this country.  You know that. 

XDm9mm
1.1.2  XDm9mm  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    3 weeks ago
That is what you are reduced to?  Geez. 

No ideas?  No theories?  No suggestions?  Nothing?  Is that what YOU'RE reduced to?  Geez.

What happened to all the braggadocio about your hero?  

I am not here to discuss what I would do. I dont have all the options or expert input that he is privvy to. 

He is not fit to lead this country.  You know that. 

He's actually following the advice of the EXPERTS that YOU admit that YOU don't have.

He's LEADING the country very well.  You just can't get beyond your personal vitriolic hatred of the man to acknowledge that.

So, yes, he IS very fit to LEAD THIS COUNTRY, and is doing so much to your dismay.

JohnRussell
1.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.2    3 weeks ago

Trump supporters are largely delusional. I wont say every one, because then I would get censored, but I will say many of them. 

To say it is a major issue in this country would be putting it mildly. 

XDm9mm
1.1.4  XDm9mm  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    3 weeks ago
Trump supporters are largely delusional. I wont say every one, because then I would get censored, but I will say many of them.  To say it is a major issue in this country would be putting it mildly. 

Have no fear JR.  You'll be dragged along kicking and screaming, spewing vitriolic hatred at President Trump and all his supporters when the virus scare is history, Trump is reelected and we again are on a path of economic recovery this country had not seen in it's history.   And yes, even you will benefit.

JohnRussell
1.1.5  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.4    3 weeks ago

Keep going . Trump supporters are just putting all their delusions on display. 

This virus is not the end of the world, the US will survive and thrive. But it has helped reveal Trump's utter lack of fitness for his job. 

XDm9mm
1.1.6  XDm9mm  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.5    3 weeks ago
Keep going . Trump supporters are just putting all their delusions on display. 

You still haven't verbalized all of your pertinent and intelligent suggestions JR.  You're just ranting at Trump and any that support him.

This virus is not the end of the world, the US will survive and thrive. But it has helped reveal Trump's utter lack of fitness for his job.

Agreed, the virus is not the end of the world and the US will survive.   It has also revealed President Trump as the great President he is, contrary to the hatred spewed by others.  He is following the advice of EXPERTS and doing all he can to assuage the fears of the American people and ensure them that the government is doing all it can to stop the spread of the virus, but it is necessary for the state and local governments as well as the people to help ensure they own safety and well being.

I guess it's simply that those of us who support Trump have a sense of personal responsibility and accountability and don't need the government to take us by the hand and drag us through life like the vast majority of his detractors likely do.    

WallyW
1.1.7  WallyW  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    3 weeks ago
"Trump supporters".......
Your go to blathering when you're empty of ideas and in full deflection mode

Ozzwald
1.1.8  Ozzwald  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.6    3 weeks ago
He is following the advice of EXPERTS and doing all he can to assuage the fears of the American people and ensure them that the government is doing all it can to stop the spread of the virus, but it is necessary for the state and local governments as well as the people to help ensure they own safety and well being.

Then why do those "experts" have to correct everything he says after one of his speeches?  Or do you still believe a vaccine will be out in a month or so?

corona-virus-tests-8-countries.jpg

Tessylo
1.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.6    3 weeks ago

'He is following the advice of EXPERTS and doing all he can to assuage the fears of the American people and ensure them that the government is doing all it can to stop the spread of the virus , but it is necessary for the state and local governments as well as the people to help ensure they own safety and well being.'

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

If tRump hadn't disassembled the Pandemic Preparedness team, we wouldn't be where we are right now, would we?

XDm9mm
1.1.10  XDm9mm  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.9    3 weeks ago
we wouldn't be where we are right now, would we?

And you know that how exactly?  Did you peer into your crystal ball, or did the Tarot Cards tell you?

XDm9mm
1.1.11  XDm9mm  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.8    3 weeks ago
Then why do those "experts" have to correct everything he says after one of his speeches? 

Citation?

Or do you still believe a vaccine will be out in a month or so?

When the fuck did I ever say that?  You CAN provide the exact thread where it was said can you not?

r.t..b...
1.1.12  r.t..b...  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.8    3 weeks ago
Then why do those "experts" have to correct everything he says after one of his speeches? 

...and recited without any sense of conviction from a prepared script. Who writes these things and why are they not properly vetted for up to the minute accuracy? In a time when trust in our leadership is paramount, this administration continues to leave us all (at least those of us yearning for truth and assurance) wanting. 

katrix
1.1.13  katrix  replied to  r.t..b... @1.1.12    3 weeks ago

Since Trump insisted on golfing this weekend - he hung out with a Brazilian official on Saturday, who just tested positive.

Tacos!
1.1.14  Tacos!  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.8    3 weeks ago
Or do you still believe a vaccine will be out in a month or so?

Let's say it's takes a year or 18 months. How has Trump underestimating the time for that impacted your life or anyone else's? In other words, why is it important to talk about that?

katrix
1.1.15  katrix  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.14    3 weeks ago

You don't think it's important for our President to give accurate information in a situation like this? He didn't underestimate, he outright lied and contradicted the experts.

Jesus Christ.

igknorantzrulz
1.1.16  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.14    3 weeks ago

his free base BELIEVE the mental midgets' LIES

Tacos!
1.1.17  Tacos!  replied to  katrix @1.1.15    3 weeks ago
You don't think it's important for our President to give accurate information in a situation like this?

I don't know. Is it? My question remains and you are welcome to demonstrate how that particular bit of information will matter to anyone. So far, I'm not seeing it.

Tessylo
1.1.18  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.17    3 weeks ago

So in other words, YOU DON'T THINK IT'S IMPORTANT FOR OUR 'president' TO GIVE ACCURATE INFORMATION IN A SITUATION LIKE THIS.

GOT IT.  

Tacos!
1.1.19  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.18    3 weeks ago

I'm not going to freak out over it without reason. Presidents get shit wrong all the time. I care if I have a reason to. You hate everything he does, so why should this time impress anyone?

Tessylo
1.1.20  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.19    3 weeks ago

Like I said.  

r.t..b...
1.1.21  r.t..b...  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.14    3 weeks ago
why is it important to talk about that?

In times of crises, real or imagined, the citizenry should expect the seated administration to convey any and all messaging in the most honest and open way possible.

State the truth, in consultation and in consistency  with all agencies involved. Open the dialogue to media questions, to show a united effort is underway, girded by facts and concrete examples of following stated policy. Forego placing blame and focus on the task at hand in a sense of shared commonality. Basically, let the people you were entrusted to represent be given up-to-the-date information to allay fears and avoid panic. 

So it is indeed important to talk about all of it. This will eventually pass, but it is indicative of how this administration addresses issues...god forbid the situation was even more dire.

Greg Jones
1.1.22  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.9    3 weeks ago
If tRump hadn't disassembled the Pandemic Preparedness team, we wouldn't be where we are right now, would we?

There would still be little if any more testing being done at this point. I thought you worked in the health field and would know this simple fact.

Just now on the news....39 deaths nationally, but over 69,000 people have recovered.

Greg Jones
1.1.23  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.9    3 weeks ago

There would still be little if any more testing being done at this point. I thought you worked in the health field and would know this simple fact.

Just now on the news....39 deaths nationally, but over 69,000 people have recovered.

Greg Jones
1.1.24  Greg Jones  replied to  katrix @1.1.15    3 weeks ago

You say he lied last night?  What about? What's inaccurate about it? He's not contradicting the experts.

igknorantzrulz
1.1.25  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.24    3 weeks ago

You say he lied last night?  What about? What's inaccurate about it? He's not contradicting the experts.

check out Veronica's link on post 7.2.9

r.t..b...
1.1.26  r.t..b...  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.23    3 weeks ago
39 deaths nationally

...only to 'get worse before it gets better.' 

Access to testing is the key in identifying those whom have contracted the virus, in conjunction with preparing facilities to handle those infected. Tell us honestly where we are. Precious little has been done to address either concern to date...the Dow Jones should be the last concern as it always self-corrects if investors see a plan in place...unfortunately no cohesive plan is yet to be formulated from this administration, other than throwing out nebulous travel restrictions and 'proposed' funding at the feet of Congress...'CYA' in action, with the puppet Pence destined to be the next scapegoat.

igknorantzrulz
1.1.27  igknorantzrulz  replied to  r.t..b... @1.1.26    3 weeks ago
major concern of those driving the bus

well, when they use US citizens as speed bumps as the wheels on the bus go round and round, it's not all that merry.

bugsy
1.1.28  bugsy  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.22    3 weeks ago
ust now on the news....39 deaths nationally,

And 20 or so of those from 1 long term care center in 1 city in 1 state. The rest are spread out over 49 other states and more than 330 million people.

WallyW
1.2  WallyW  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 weeks ago

What more should he do? As usual, you probably have no practical, positive answers.

Truth is, he's turning out to be an effective leader and uniter

I'd be very concerned with any of the 3 stooges (HRC, Bernie, Biden) were in charge.

JohnRussell
1.2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  WallyW @1.2    3 weeks ago

Comments like yours are a waste of time. 

WallyW
1.2.2  WallyW  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    3 weeks ago

Postings like yours are really a waste of time.

Thanks for admitting you have no answers

squiggy
1.3  squiggy  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 weeks ago

Corona Daddy took his daughter to a dance. Should Trump crack his head and drag him off to isolation for rwo weeks? Oh, the horrors of the deodorant Parisians who don’t get to dance in the Big Apple.

devangelical
1.4  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 weeks ago

"you're going to get so tired of winning"

bwah ha ha ha.......

lady in black
2  lady in black    3 weeks ago

But, but, but, crooked donnie is the greatest president ever....jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif

XDm9mm
2.1  XDm9mm  replied to  lady in black @2    3 weeks ago
donnie is the greatest president ever.

Thanks for finally admitting the obvious.

lady in black
2.1.1  lady in black  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1    3 weeks ago

Yeah, that's why the stock market is doing so well.

apparently you don't get sarcasm.

Once more....he is the WORST president this country has ever had...people that don't have blinders on see it.

JohnRussell
2.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1    3 weeks ago

Trump did not even mention testing for the virus in his speech last night.  Didnt even mention it. He did mention how great his economy is a couple times though. 

XDm9mm
2.1.3  XDm9mm  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.2    3 weeks ago
Trump did not even mention testing for the virus in his speech last night.

Do you need him to lead you by the hand all your life JR?  Don't bother with an answer, it's rhetorical.

XDm9mm
2.1.4  XDm9mm  replied to  lady in black @2.1.1    3 weeks ago
Yeah, that's why the stock market is doing so well.

The market is reacting to GLOBAL situations regarding Conoravirus and Trump taking STRONG POSITIVE MEASURES to do everything within his power to protect Americans and America.

apparently you don't get sarcasm.

I understand sarcasm quite well.  

Once more....he is the WORST president this country has ever had...people that don't have blinders on see it.

He is one of if not the best President this country has had in our lifetimes.   Only the people with blinders on and a deep seated hatred for this country and all that it is and stands for don't see that.

lady in black
2.1.5  lady in black  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.4    3 weeks ago

Weak positions and way too late....where are the testing kits?  Nowhere...stable genius gets rid of the pandemic team....he's in WAY over his head, makes the worst decisions and says the worst things....Um, it's like the flu, you can go to work, it will be gone soon, it will be gone by the warm weather...I can go on and on about the bs this idiot has spewed forth, but it won't matter because unfortunately trumpsters see no evil, speak no evil, and hear no evil when it comes to Crooked donnie.

JohnRussell
2.1.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.3    3 weeks ago

What does your response have to do with the lack of testing for the virus in the United States? 

XDm9mm
2.1.7  XDm9mm  replied to  lady in black @2.1.5    3 weeks ago
Weak positions and way too late....where are the testing kits? 

Weak positions?  He shut down travel from China in JANUARY.  Would you have preferred he shut down ALL INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL?  Then what would you say when he stopped the illegal alien lowlifes coming across the border?  Let them in?   

Weak positions?  SPECIFICALLY what would YOU do?   He is following the advice of EXPERTS that actually know more than all of the "experts" combined claiming "weak positions" on site like Newstalkers.

Nowhere...stable genius gets rid of the pandemic team....he's in WAY over his head, makes the worst decisions.  

When did he get rid of the CDC, NIH and other essential pieces of our medical services?  He cut White house staff to eliminate duplication.   

JohnRussell
2.1.8  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.7    3 weeks ago

In order to avoid "leaks" Trumps virus response team has held meetings in classified settings, meaning those without top security clearance cannot take part. This has left out relevant medical experts etc. 

Why in hell does preventing leaks to the media take precedence over getting the best most relevant input? 

WallyW
2.1.9  WallyW  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.2    3 weeks ago

Trump doesn't order testing, doctors do.

If the patient is in an at risk group and/or showing symptoms.

DUH!

XDm9mm
2.1.10  XDm9mm  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.6    3 weeks ago
What does your response have to do with the lack of testing for the virus in the United States?

First, the initial "testing kits" failed as they received erroneous information to develop them and that created the problem of them failing.   And where did we get that information from?  The ever so trustworthy CHINESE.  The same Chinese that tried desperately to lie, deflect and contain it themselves at the expense of not only their own people, but people all around the world.

Now that we have proper information, they are being developed.  But unlike what you would like, no one has Ruby Red Slippers to click the heels three times to instantly create test kits.  They take TIME to build and distribute.

XDm9mm
2.1.11  XDm9mm  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.8    3 weeks ago
In order to avoid "leaks" Trumps virus response team has held meetings in classified settings, meaning those without top security clearance cannot take part. This has left out relevant medical experts etc. 

Is that your assumption, or do you have FACTUAL knowledge of that?   I'll submit, it's your vitriol coming out in all it's glory.

Why in hell does preventing leaks to the media take precedence over getting the best most relevant input? 

Preventing "leaks" ensures that only FACTUAL information and NOT, theories, suppositions, conjecture, innuendo, rumors, etc., get out to the media.  I'd say that's a pretty good fucking reason.

WallyW
2.1.12  WallyW  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.8    3 weeks ago

Leaks to the media tend to dispense incorrect or false information.

Having tight security helps to lower that risk.

Trump is assuredly getting all the pertinent information

katrix
2.1.13  katrix  replied to  WallyW @2.1.12    3 weeks ago
Leaks to the media tend to dispense incorrect or false information.

Leaks to the media tend to dispense the truth, rather than the lies that Trump wants people to believe. That's why he hates the first amendment so much. A free press exposes his bullshit.

JohnRussell
2.1.14  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.11    3 weeks ago
The White House ordered for dozens of top-level meetings about the novel coronavirus to be classified, a move that may have hampered the country’s ability to contain the now-pandemic, Reuters reports . The information comes from four anonymous administration officials who say that the meetings covered issues such as quarantines, travel restrictions, and the number of infections.

According to the officials, meetings have been held in a high-security room in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), which would normally be used for intelligence and military operations. HHS is in charge of several health agencies, most notably the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which is responsible for restricting the spread of infectious diseases like COVID-19, the illness caused by the novel coronavirus.

The desire for secrecy meant that “very critical people,” including government experts without security clearance, were not able to attend the meetings, according to one source. A senior lawyer, for example, was prevented from being able to attend and provide input about a quarantine because he did not have the security clearance, despite having the required expertise. 

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/12/21176370/trump-administration-coronavirus-pandemic-classified-meetings-covid-19

I'm not Trump, I dont make stuff up. 

lady in black
2.1.15  lady in black  replied to  WallyW @2.1.9    3 weeks ago

Since Renee Schwartz developed shortness of breath and a severe cough two weeks ago, she has been trying desperately to get a coronavirus test. She has already been tested for the flu — she was negative — and other problems have been ruled out. But while her doctor thinks a test is warranted, she told Schwartz she does not have access to any tests.

“I feel like crap,” said Schwartz, 60, of North Hills, Calif. “I want to know, why can’t I get this test?”

While the stories of people who are sick but can’t get tested get widespread   attention , President Trump presented the situation very differently on a Friday afternoon visit to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

"Anybody that needs a test  gets a test . Anybody that  needs a test . They are all set; they have them out there,” Trump said. “As of right now, and yesterday, anybody that needs a test can get one.”

Production is ramping up, but tests — and the labs and equipment necessary to run them — are still very limited. Even where test kits are available, many states are following strict criteria for who should be tested to avoid overwhelming their labs.

Interviews with a dozen laboratory experts and government health officials reveal a six-week series of glitches, missed opportunities and delays that contributed to the shortage.

“They’ve simply   lost time they can’t make up . You can’t get back six weeks of blindness,” said Jeremy Konyndyk, who oversaw the international response to Ebola during the Obama administration and is a senior policy fellow at the Center for Global Development.

To the extent that there’s someone to blame here, the blame is on poor, chaotic management from the White House and failure to acknowledge the big picture.

How testing failures allowed coronavirus to sweep the U.S.

The Trump administration’s decision to forgo a World Health Organization test and create its own had fateful consequences, experts say.

On Saturday Jan. 11 — a month and a half before the first Covid-19 case not linked to travel was diagnosed in the United States — Chinese scientists posted the genome of the mysterious new virus, and within a week virologists in Berlin had produced the first diagnostic test for the disease.

Soon after, researchers in other nations rolled out their own tests, too, sometimes with different genetic targets. By the end of February, the World Health Organization had shipped tests to nearly 60 countries.

The United States was not among them.

Why the United States declined to use the WHO test, even temporarily as a bridge until the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention could produce its own test, remains a perplexing question and the key to the Trump administration’s failure to provide enough tests to identify the coronavirus infections before they could be passed on, according to POLITICO interviews with dozens of viral-disease experts, former officials and some officials within the administration’s health agencie s.

The slowness of the testing regimen — which, administration officials acknowledged this week, is still not producing enough tests to meet the national demand — was the first, and most sweeping, of many failures. So far there have been confirmed cases in at least 23 states, and at least 15 deaths, while the stock market plunged and an otherwise healthy economy braced for a major disruption.

Whose fault  TRUMP AND THIS ADMINISTRATION

XDm9mm
2.1.16  XDm9mm  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.14    3 weeks ago

And your usual source of information is contained within your own post.

The information comes from four anonymous administration officials who say that the meetings covered issues such as quarantines, travel restrictions, and the number of infections.

Anonymous sources, otherwise known by the names of Rumor, Supposition, Conjecture, Innuendo, Hyperbole, Hunch, Hypothesis, Guess, Presumption all of whom are useless.

igknorantzrulz
2.1.17  igknorantzrulz  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.14    3 weeks ago

i don't know, Trump is ALWAYS open and up front about what he's meeting top secret yes men about, cause everybody already knows, 

he's smarter than the Generals, the Scientists, the Fed, the Justices, the IT people, his Lawyers, his State Department, the Surgeon and in General

all of the public, but he always keeps to himself about it 

in private meetings with Pornstar Playmates to better negotiate the art of the deal at $130,000 per pussy grab

as they just let him...for six go figures, 

all while he sends Love letters to lil' Kim via alphabet soup figures he crunches like the economy.

If he had JUST TOLD THE DAMN TRUTH FROM THE GET GO, we would ALL be in a much better place right now.

The 'Man' is a COMPLETE FCKN DISGRACE,
and that's as kind as i can spin it.

HE WILL NEVER PUT ANYONE ABOVE OR BEFORE HIM !

He can't spin LIES about or to a virus, as when his constituents begin to DIE, due to him being more concerned about the number infected and it's possible negative effect on our economy, even the scum bag GOP Senate will have to finally call him out.

Utter moral FAILURES!

Transyferous Rex
2.1.18  Transyferous Rex  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.2    3 weeks ago

What would you have him say John, the market is tanking, and we are on the precipice of disaster, rush the stores, board your doors, and hunker down for the next three months, because if the virus doesn't kill you, your broke ass will starve to death?

igknorantzrulz
2.1.19  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Transyferous Rex @2.1.18    3 weeks ago

When the President of the United States is approaching 

16,000 LIES,

it has reached the point where there is NOTHING HE CAN SAY, where Americans, besides his free base, will believe him, as he can't be trusted to deliver the TRUTH to the peoples he is SUPPOSED to be serving.

Trump only knows Self Service,

but he has serviced his supporters, and basically fckd us all

over and again, if that helps.

Veronica
2.1.20  Veronica  replied to  Transyferous Rex @2.1.18    3 weeks ago
rush the stores, board your doors, and hunker down for the next three months

You do realize this is already happening?

XDm9mm
2.1.21  XDm9mm  replied to  Veronica @2.1.20    3 weeks ago
You do realize this is already happening?

Yes it is.  But you do realize it's not the President creating the panic don't you?  He's trying to calm the people as opposed to the media hyping this like it's the Bubonic plague and Spanish flu combined that will be a mass extinction event.

Veronica
2.1.22  Veronica  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.21    3 weeks ago

I never said it was Trump's fault.  I was simply responding to someone that seems to believe it is not happening.  I do not see Trump as a comforter.  I seriously doubt he has a calming effect on the majority of people.  His overall abrasive attitude is far from comforting or calming in my opinion.  

Do you have a crystal ball as to see how this will turn out?  It may not be a mass extinction, but as a parent of someone that is high risk because of an auto-immune disorder - it is alarming.  

JohnRussell
2.1.23  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Veronica @2.1.22    3 weeks ago

1. Trump looked like he was in a trance last night.

2. He was reading a prepared speech that presumably had been double checked by himself and by assistants or advisers.  He still made mistakes. 

This virus is not an "extinction event" , but if it has a fatality rate 1 percent and 50 million Americans get it, that is 500,000 Americans dying prematurely because of this virus. 

The person in charge has to be seen as highly competent and a large part of our country doesnt see Trump in that way at all. 

XDm9mm
2.1.24  XDm9mm  replied to  Veronica @2.1.22    3 weeks ago
I never said it was Trump's fault

My bad and apologies.  I misread what you meant.

I do not see Trump as a comforter.  I seriously doubt he has a calming effect on the majority of people.  His overall abrasive attitude is far from comforting or calming in my opinion.  

He's doing the best he can under the circumstances.  He's not a polished politician who is able to tell you you're a moron to your face and you'd thank him/her for the compliment!!  He's a brash NY businessman who pretty much tells it like it is.

Do you have a crystal ball as to see how this will turn out? 

Nope.  But I'm not in a panic about it either.  Viruses and mutations come around all the time.  Some are worse than others.  It's nature at work.

It may not be a mass extinction, but as a parent of someone that is high risk because of an auto-immune disorder - it is alarming.

It's only as alarming as you allow it to be.  Take the necessary precautions you normally would, especially as they relate to your child, and you too will likely get through this mass hysteria overtaking people.  By the way, I'm dead in the middle of those considered "high risk".  I'm 70 years old and have chronic bronchitis.

Hell, the 2009/2010 'pandemic' created by Swine Flu killed about 12 to 13 thousand in the United States alone and obviously more globally, but people didn't run around like it was the end of times like some today seem to be.

Veronica
2.1.25  Veronica  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.24    3 weeks ago
It's only as alarming as you allow it to be.  Take the necessary precautions you normally would, especially as they relate to your child, and you too will likely get through this mass hysteria overtaking people.  By the way, I'm dead in the middle of those considered "high risk".  I'm 70 years old and have chronic bronchitis.

Geez, thanks - I never would have thought of any of that on my own.  

Transyferous Rex
2.1.26  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Veronica @2.1.20    3 weeks ago

So naturally, Trump should have thrown some fuel on that fire, by telling the nation that the economy is in the tank, thereby exacerbating the situation?

XDm9mm
2.1.27  XDm9mm  replied to  Veronica @2.1.25    3 weeks ago
Geez, thanks - I never would have thought of any of that on my own. 

Geez, thanks for the snark.   Remind me not to be polite in the future.

loki12
2.1.28  loki12  replied to  Transyferous Rex @2.1.26    3 weeks ago

The DNC and mainstream media are willing to destroy the country in order to “save” it from trump, this somehow makes sense to the retards.

katrix
2.1.29  katrix  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.24    3 weeks ago
He's a brash NY businessman who pretty much tells it like it is.

The problem is that he DOESN'T tell it like it is. He tells it like he wants it to be.

Veronica
2.1.30  Veronica  replied to  Transyferous Rex @2.1.26    3 weeks ago

And again - I never said that.  I was responding to your statement intimating there was no panic.

Veronica
2.1.31  Veronica  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.27    3 weeks ago

You talk down to people assuming they do not have any good sense & you say that is polite - ok.

Veronica
2.1.32  Veronica  replied to  loki12 @2.1.28    3 weeks ago
the retards.

AND who might they be? Anyone that does not agree with you or does not think Trump is saving this country?

loki12
2.1.33  loki12  replied to  Veronica @2.1.32    3 weeks ago

I can’t help you find the obvious, turn on MSLSD and watch anyone, they still think trump colluded with Russia, obviously retarded.

Veronica
2.1.34  Veronica  replied to  loki12 @2.1.33    3 weeks ago

Ok - so you have nothing except disparaging words - nice to know you are not one to have a discussion with.

Transyferous Rex
2.1.35  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Veronica @2.1.30    3 weeks ago

You must have been responding to someone else, because nowhere in my statement do I make any suggestions, one way or another, as to what is happening on the ground.

Tessylo
2.1.36  Tessylo  replied to  katrix @2.1.29    3 weeks ago
'The problem is that he DOESN'T tell it like it is. He tells it like he wants it to be.'

That's it, in a nutshell.  

Veronica
2.1.37  Veronica  replied to  Transyferous Rex @2.1.35    3 weeks ago
we are on the precipice of disaster, rush the stores, board your doors, and hunker down for the next three months, because if the virus doesn't kill you, your broke ass will starve to death?

Your words.  I interpreted this to mean that this is not what is happening.  AND it is happening.  Overreaction by some, I certainly believe so, but you made it sound as if it was not already happening.

If that was not your intended purpose then I apologize.

Transyferous Rex
2.1.38  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Veronica @2.1.37    3 weeks ago
If that was not your intended purpose then I apologize.

I would think that it is clear that my post poses a question as to what one person believes Trump should have said versus what he did say. You are moving the question mark to the position of the first comma, and making the rest of the question a statement. 

What would you have him say John, the market is tanking, and we are on the precipice of disaster, rush the stores, board your doors, and hunker down for the next three months, because if the virus doesn't kill you, your broke ass will starve to death?

Transyferous Rex
2.1.39  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Veronica @2.1.37    3 weeks ago

I think this is why they say to never send anything in an email. 

Veronica
2.1.40  Veronica  replied to  Transyferous Rex @2.1.38    3 weeks ago

Then I apologize.  

bugsy
2.1.41  bugsy  replied to  lady in black @2.1.5    3 weeks ago
where are the testing kits?

Are you ill? Do you think you may have the corona virus?

Testing kits cannot be found at your local dollar tree like drug tests can be. You have to be a healthcare professional with the need to have them to be able to test anyone.

bugsy
2.1.42  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.14    3 weeks ago

The first part....correct. The second part? Did you type that with a straight face?

Trout Giggles
2.1.43  Trout Giggles  replied to  bugsy @2.1.41    3 weeks ago
Testing kits cannot be found at your local dollar tree like drug tests can be. You have to be a healthcare professional with the need to have them to be able to test anyone.

Well....duh! And then some people can't get tested because they haven't been to a Level 2 country whatever the hell that is.

bugsy
2.1.44  bugsy  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.43    3 weeks ago
a Level 2 country whatever the hell that is.

The post AI responded to inferred that they are not able to easily get their hands on a test kit, much like they can a drug test at dollar tree, and they are very unhappy about it.

Also, google can be your friend...

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/NEWTravelAssets/pdfs/Travel%20Advisory%20Country%20List%20Alphabetical%201-18-18%20VERT.pdf

bugsy
2.1.45  bugsy  replied to  bugsy @2.1.44    3 weeks ago
AI responded t

I responded to

gooseisgone
2.1.46  gooseisgone  replied to  katrix @2.1.13    3 weeks ago
Leaks to the media tend to dispense the truth

Just like that Russian leak......right!

Nerm_L
3  Nerm_L    3 weeks ago

Reports of an unidentified disease in a region of China was reported nine weeks and four days ago.  The disease was identified as a coronavirus eight weeks and four days ago.  The first case outside China was confirmed eight weeks ago.  The first case in the United States was confirmed six weeks and six days ago.

The interconnected global civilization has collapsed in less than nine weeks.  Today the United States is not capable of adequately supplying hand sanitizer and toilet paper for its own population.  The United States is not capable of supplying paper face masks for medical personnel.

Nine weeks.  That's less than one trimester of a pregnancy.  Global civilization has aborted itself.

A critical function of the financial sector is to manage risk.  How are they doing?  Nine weeks for a complete meltdown.  A virus that is a little (not a lot) more aggressive than influenza overwhelmed the financial sector's ability to manage risk.  And now the financial sector wants to be saved from its own incompetence.

Members of Congress are among the at-risk elderly population for COVID-19.  Many have been in Congress for decades.  Over those decades the elder statesmen have promoted and created an interconnected global civilization.  Peace through partnership.  And what those career politicians have built (at great sacrifice to the country) lasted nine weeks.

And the excuse proffered by the public and private monetary globalizers?  Trump isn't being serious about the crisis.  What crisis?  The crisis created by the monetary globalizers because what they built over the last seven decades couldn't last nine weeks.

WallyW
3.1  WallyW  replied to  Nerm_L @3    3 weeks ago
  Today the United States is not capable of adequately supplying hand sanitizer and toilet paper for its own population.
No...the run on toilet paper was produced the fear mongering leftists and their buddies in the media doing their utmost to produce panic in the people. Best to shop for these items early in the   morning as the night stocking crew is finishing up.

Nerm_L
3.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  WallyW @3.1    3 weeks ago
No...the run on toilet paper was produced the fear mongering leftists and their buddies in the media doing their utmost to produce panic in the people. Best to shop for these items early in the   morning as the night stocking crew is finishing up.

Well, I manage my household needs.  No worries here.

The point you raise also applies to the phony praise for supply-side promises that convinced people globalization was inevitably good.  That inevitable goodness lasted nine weeks.  Privatizing profits by socializing risk never ends well.  

Have you noticed that gold and bonds aren't tracking the markets?  The sellers aren't seeking safety; they are seeking liquidity.  The cash being sucked out of the markets won't necessarily return quickly.  The indicators are that there won't be a flip from safety to risk that will drive a rebound.

Dean Moriarty
4  Dean Moriarty    3 weeks ago

I didn’t time my sell perfectly but close enough where I’m happy with the gains I realized. Fortunately most of my stocks were held for more than twelve months so I won’t get stuck paying the short term capital gains rate. I see lots of upward potential once we turn the corner on the virus. With any luck we will follow the pattern of the Chinese market where there was a rapid drop in valuations followed by an equally rapid recovery. I feel good about sitting on the sidelines for now. 

JohnRussell
4.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4    3 weeks ago

Very well, Ayn Rand. 

Nerm_L
4.2  Nerm_L  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4    3 weeks ago
I didn’t time my sell perfectly but close enough where I’m happy with the gains I realized. Fortunately most of my stocks were held for more than twelve months so I won’t get stuck paying the short term capital gains rate. I see lots of upward potential once we turn the corner on the virus. With any luck we will follow the pattern of the Chinese market where there was a rapid drop in valuations followed by an equally rapid recovery. I feel good about sitting on the sidelines for now. 

It's easy for two bit investors to make chump change off the market.  If those investments aren't measured with a 'b' (that's 9 zeros) then the crow is only emitting anal vapor.

Baron Creek
4.3  Baron Creek  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4    3 weeks ago
With any luck we will follow the pattern of the Chinese market where there was a rapid drop in valuations followed by an equally rapid recovery.

You might want to consider checking those Chinese Markets. Expect another massive Chinese government intervention tonight, imo. 

Dean Moriarty
4.3.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Baron Creek @4.3    3 weeks ago

Baron Creek
4.3.2  Baron Creek  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4.3.1    3 weeks ago

Being 2.9% above the low on 2-3 is good, but not a rapid recovery and has been trending back downward... now into its 6th session. 

It Is ME
5  It Is ME    3 weeks ago

The "Big Boys and Gals" are just "Playing the "Markets" again !

igknorantzrulz
5.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @5    3 weeks ago

Maybe they secretly like some of Bernies proposed policys

It Is ME
5.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.1    3 weeks ago
Maybe they secretly like some of Bernies proposed policys

Is the "News" faking it when they say the "Drop" is all because of the "Coronavirus" ?

Just Jim NC TttH
5.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.1    3 weeks ago

It Is ME
5.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.1.2    3 weeks ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

igknorantzrulz
5.1.4  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.1    3 weeks ago

its also because people with half a mind don't believe Trump, and his poor base does, leaving a confused panicking public.

If we had a real POTUS, the market would still be in trouble, but the hoax news about all fake truth, can remain aloof, when the 'Right' wings flap so much bullship that people don't know which sale to hoist to propel the economic vessel to calmer waters.

Trump and his all things are fake news if he doesn't like or agree with it, are playing a large part inn this erratically fluctuating market, imho.

It Is ME
5.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.1.4    3 weeks ago
its also because people with half a mind don't believe Trump, and his poor base does, leaving a confused panicking public.

No....that ain't it ! jrSmiley_103_smiley_image.jpg

The "Regular Public Folks" rely on the Big Boys and Gals to make money in the "Market".....for them. jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif

igknorantzrulz
5.1.6  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.5    3 weeks ago

The "Regular Public Folks" rely on the Big Boys and Gals to make money in the "Market".....for them.

do you think THEY believe him ?

It Is ME
5.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.1.6    3 weeks ago
do you think THEY believe him ?

They're "Money Playing" ! jrSmiley_24_smiley_image.gif

You don't know that ? jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

Anything (ooooo Virus) to get the "Markets down", so they can sell at it's current value (Big Bucks), then rebuy the same stock at a lower value after it drops in price. (Make MORE Bucks). jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_25_smiley_image.gif

igknorantzrulz
5.1.8  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.7    3 weeks ago
They're "Money Playing" !

as they always do and will. damn deep state fish wardens

XDm9mm
5.1.9  XDm9mm  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.1.4    3 weeks ago
leaving a confused panicking public.

Very typical of so very many on the left.  Many know nothing about anything, but they're sure fucking experts at it.

It Is ME
5.1.10  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.1.8    3 weeks ago
as they always do and will. damn deep state fish wardens

So "Trump" really isn't the problem  … but in "Your Mind", you're gonna "Damn" Trump over this anyway ?? jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

igknorantzrulz
5.1.11  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.10    3 weeks ago

Trump's carelessness with reality about what is true or not are contributing to the panicking felt around the world by the Corona Virus. 

He's lied about the virus multiple times as the SCIENTISTS attempted to lay out the harsh realities of it, and its potentials.

Had he agreed instead of painting the rosier picture, i believe there would be far less uneasiness. We would still be in deep shit, but Trump and his actions have caused it to be far deeper.

From CDC modifications for dealing with pandemics, to a total fck up of the tests ( Didn't WHO offer US them ? and Trump declined ? ) to downplaying and Democratic hoax association word games etc etc.    Last night he finally faced the facts, too little too late to avert the jitters.

It Is ME
5.1.12  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.1.11    3 weeks ago
Trump's carelessness with reality about what is true or not are contributing to the panicking felt around the world by the Corona Virus. 

WRONG !

The "Wall street Playas" are "USING" the Coronavirus as a "Sell off" ploy to make even more money than they already have in the market !

The only thing "Lost" so far, has been "Mega" profits. 

No one has lost their initial investment, unless you were STUPID enough to buy "High" !.

igknorantzrulz
5.1.13  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.12    3 weeks ago

No one has lost their initial investment, unless you were STUPID enough to buy "High" !.

i can't remember if i was "High" when i made my buys, but either way, i'll agree with you that the .001%'s can cause the market to produce them ridiculous rewards, but you hate Bernie, and he was the one wanting to take them on.

Trump administration gets a D on my grade scale for the handling of the virus crisis.

It Is ME
5.1.15  It Is ME  replied to  JBB @5.1.14    3 weeks ago
It was stupid to trust the gop with our economy... The gop's fiscal incompetence always tanks ours.

WTF are you talking about. jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

The word "Coronavirus" is doing the Job of "Tanking" things. Not the initials "G.O.P.". jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
5.1.16  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.1.13    3 weeks ago
Trump administration gets a D on my grade scale for the handling of the virus crisis.

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise ! jrSmiley_99_smiley_image.jpg

igknorantzrulz
5.1.17  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.16    3 weeks ago

and what grade would you give ?

loki12
5.1.19  loki12  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.1.4    3 weeks ago

Holy Shit mark this on your calendar! I agree with you, people with half of brain don’t believe trump, the people of normal intelligence and above do! Or at least don’t dismiss what he says because of TDS.

It Is ME
5.1.20  It Is ME  replied to  JBB @5.1.18    3 weeks ago

From YOUR own friggin article "Link" : "Bipartisan Budget Act of 2019" ….which the House passed on Thursday"

Ummmmm…..which "Party" controlled "the House" in 2019 ? jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Do you read before you "Put Out " nonsense ?

Besides....the "New Yorker" is best known for it's "Cartoonish Art work".

loki12
5.1.21  loki12  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.9    3 weeks ago

LOL, it appears all the constitutional scholars  from last month are all now epidemiologists and financial experts. Yet amazingly they have nothing better to do than whine on the internet.

It Is ME
5.1.22  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.1.17    3 weeks ago
and what grade would you give ?

Grade ?

Are we in "Grade School" now ?

Dismayed Patriot
5.1.23  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.15    3 weeks ago
The word "Coronavirus" is doing the Job of "Tanking" things. Not the initials "G.O.P.

The GOP and their hand picked President are the ones who are supposed to be responsibly handling the crisis. Sadly, they are asleep at the wheel as usual and have made a bad situation worse by their inaction and attempt to cover their own asses instead of actually acknowledging the problem or even listening to their own health officials who were trying to warn them of the potential pitfalls. All they have been concerned with since we first heard of the corona virus has been their own political careers and avoiding any responsibility. So yeah, just like the GOP of 2008 who, during another election year, tried to avoid all responsibility for the housing market crashing, they once again are claiming everything's fine and if it isn't, then it isn't their fault.

It Is ME
5.1.24  It Is ME  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.1.23    3 weeks ago
The GOP and their hand picked President are the ones who are supposed to be responsibly handling the crisis.

They are ! jrSmiley_103_smiley_image.jpg

What is it about this "Instant Gratification Disease" The "Left" can't EVER seem to shake. Not going to the "Docs Office" for "Wellness checkups" enough ? jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

Greg Jones
5.1.25  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @5.1.14    3 weeks ago

The market downturn has nothing to do with Trump's economic policies.

This left wing induced panic will turn around next week.

Dismayed Patriot
5.1.26  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.24    3 weeks ago
They are !

Two weeks ago Trump claimed CNN who reported on the corona virus was "fake news" and called it a "hoax". He then claimed "Now, this is just my hunch, but based on a lot of conversations with a lot of people that do this, because a lot of people will have this, and it's very mild -- they'll get better very rapidly, they don't even see a doctor, they don't even call a doctor -- you never hear about those people, so you can't put them down in the category of the overall population, in terms of this corona flu, and/or virus. So you just can't do that."

"Trump has repeatedly suggested that the number of infections in the country is low or getting smaller, suggestions that have been proven incorrect. The number of cases in the United States has doubled since Monday — a tally that only includes positive tests for the virus."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/03/11/trumps-efforts-downplay-risk-posed-by-coronavirus-has-worked-on-republicans/

MrFrost
5.1.27  MrFrost  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.15    3 weeks ago
WTF are you talking about.

bugsy
5.1.28  bugsy  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.1.23    3 weeks ago
The GOP and their hand picked President

So, if Hillary were president, would she not be a democratic hand picked president, or do you have a different definition with a "D" after their name?

Dismayed Patriot
5.1.29  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  bugsy @5.1.28    3 weeks ago
So, if Hillary were president, would she not be a democratic hand picked president, or do you have a different definition with a "D" after their name?

? What are you talking about? The comment I replied to was in regards to someone claiming it was the corona virus tanking the economy, not the GOP. I pointed out that Trump is the GOP's hand picked President, so his delayed response is on them. If Hillary had been President and had cut CDC funding and been downplaying the crisis and been slow to respond then yes, it would have been on the DNC for picking her to represent them. And you know as well as I do that if it were Hillary with the exact same response as dishonest Donald and the result was a tanking economy, Republicans would have been screaming to high heaven about how inept and worthless she would be for doing such. Sad that so many Republicans have their heads so far up Trumps ass that they can't see their own monumental hypocrisy.

It Is ME
5.1.30  It Is ME  replied to  MrFrost @5.1.27    3 weeks ago

And the REAL reasons were ………… ?

It Is ME
5.1.31  It Is ME  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.1.26    3 weeks ago

This "Different" Corona Virus (Cold), hasn't even come close to the "Regular Everyday Flu" and "Deaths" ! jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

It's not even in the same Ball Park !

Shocking …… Isn't it ? jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
6  seeder  JohnRussell    3 weeks ago

March 12, 12:07 PM EDT

XDm9mm
6.1  XDm9mm  replied to  JohnRussell @6    3 weeks ago

Wow, it looks like your wettest wet dream come true JR.

A possible recession is the greatest hope of many of the left.

JohnRussell
6.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @6.1    3 weeks ago

CDC tested only 77 people this week; coronavirus testing slow around the nation

https://news.yahoo.com/cdc-tested-only-77-people-this-week-coronavirus-testing-slow-around-the-nation-153646616.html

You gonna blame liberals for that? 

The market is crashing because Trump's speech last night left them questioning his leadership. 

Dismayed Patriot
6.1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  XDm9mm @6.1    3 weeks ago
it looks like your wettest wet dream come true JR.

No one was hoping for a crash, many were predicting such based on the obvious market trends and predictable response to a global pandemic that was poorly handled by this administration from the start. The administrations last three weeks has been entirely one of dismissing and downplaying the virus instead of taking the matter seriously. And the inept dishonest Donald continues to play politics as he makes an exception for Great Britain but bans travel from many other European countries that have far fewer cases of the virus.

The economy had continued growing at roughly the same pace ever since President Obama put in fiscal policies that turned the market crash of 2008 around and saw record highs by the end of his two terms. The current dipshit in the oval office road those gains to claim he was great for the economy, but as many predicted, his erratic behavior, his poor decisions, and his unmitigated narcissism and penchant for taking credit for everyone else's success while refusing to take any blame has led us to the current situation where just one global health crisis has begun the domino effect we see crumbling the markets and shattering consumer confidence.

Considering the fact that the "left" make up well over half of Americans, they are the investors who are going to be hurt most by this. They have been warning of something like this because they didn't want it to happen. They hoped beyond hope that their predictions would be wrong, that this administration would be able to weather such a crisis without losing too much. But sadly, their warnings went unheeded and the Commander-in-competent has acted just as they thought he would in the face of a crisis, refusing to bring us together, refusing to acknowledge the crisis early on and refusing to take action till the last minute. His claims that he was "strong" against China when the outbreak occurred is nothing but hot air being blown over the heads and shoulders of the millions who have their heads firmly stuffed up his voluminous ass.

igknorantzrulz
6.1.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @6.1.2    3 weeks ago

in a nutshell

XDm9mm
6.1.4  XDm9mm  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @6.1.2    3 weeks ago
No one was hoping for a crash,

I'll leave you with this 

HBO host Bill Maher appeared Sunday on CNN’sGPS,where he told anchor Fareed Zakaria that he hopes the stock market will crash under President Donald Trump.

You were saying?

Tessylo
6.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @6.1.4    3 weeks ago

Because Bill Maher said he hopes the stock market will crash, that relates to all democrats/progressives/liberals?

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

XDm9mm
6.1.6  XDm9mm  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.1    3 weeks ago
CDC tested only 77 people this week; coronavirus testing slow around the nation https://news.yahoo.com/cdc-tested-only-77-people-this-week-coronavirus-testing-slow-around-the-nation-153646616.html

Holy hot shit bat man...   who knew the CDC has offices in every town in the fucking country.   You are aware that the states and local government entities have more LOCAL abilities don't you?

You gonna blame liberals for that? 

Why not?  You blame Trump and his supporters for everything.  See how that fucking works?

The market is crashing because Trump's speech last night left them questioning his leadership. 

The market is dumping because Trump is shutting us down from the other countries as much as possible to better control and contain the outbreak.  

So, JR, yet ONE MORE TIME.  EXACTLY WHAT DO YOU PROPOSE?   ANYTHING?   Or is your only argument vitriolic hatred for Trump and anything he does?

Dismayed Patriot
6.1.7  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  XDm9mm @6.1.4    3 weeks ago
You were saying?

So I take it a comedian talk show host supposedly represents everyone on the left? He's paid to say outrageous things, he is not the party center any more than Alex Jones in the center of the GOP. I do apologize if I was too general in saying "No one" when I meant "No one was seriously hoping for a crash". I don't believe for a second that Bill Maher was actually hoping for the market to crash, his own wallet is no doubt being effected. Everyone is effected by a market crash, left and right, investors and non-investors. You'd have to be an absolute moron to believe anything different, but I suppose that doesn't exclude many of Trumps supporters so I've no doubt that's a popular belief in some hollars.

XDm9mm
6.1.8  XDm9mm  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.5    3 weeks ago
Because Bill Maher said he hopes the stock market will crash, that relates to all democrats/progressives/liberals?

READING is fundamental.  I was responding to this SPECIFICALLY: 

No one was hoping for a crash,

They are in point of FACT the very first seven words of DP's response to me after he quoted me.

JohnRussell
6.1.9  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @6.1.6    3 weeks ago

Another poor day or two and it will be lower than the day Trump took office. 

igknorantzrulz
6.1.10  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @6.1.7    3 weeks ago

thought i read recently he was worth like a $100million.

so yea, he might have some money in the market, and stands to lose a bunch

XDm9mm
6.1.11  XDm9mm  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.9    3 weeks ago
Another poor day or two and it will be lower than the day Trump took office.

And a great time to get back in!!

Hell, I'm already picking up some great bargains.  Of course, I'm playing with as I like to call it "funny money" since my initial investments are all still there and I'm essentially playing with the houses money.

Greg Jones
6.1.12  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.1    3 weeks ago

Total Coronavirus deaths in the US = 39

Total people who have recovered from it = +69,000

Greg Jones
6.1.13  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.9    3 weeks ago

Buy the middle of October the left wing induced panic will have subsided, the market will have rebounded considerably, and the coronavirus outbreak will be under control in the US

MrFrost
6.1.14  MrFrost  replied to  XDm9mm @6.1    3 weeks ago

I have yet to see anyone happy about it. I do see a lot of people on the right claiming that the left is happy about it so they can shift blame to the Democrats while ignoring the one person responsible for the economy, Trump, (his words, not mine). 

Trump and the right wing have been screaming for 3+ years now that the, "fantastic" economy is all because of Trump, as soon as it tanks? It's suddenly not trump's fault. If you cannot see the hypocrisy there, it's you, not everyone else that's wrong. 

Trump downplayed the severity of the coronavirus for weeks because, (again, his words), he "didn't want the bad numbers to go up". Trump was far more worried about his image than giving the American people clear, accurate information, that would undoubtedly save lives, so, he lied about it. 

Think about that. Trump LIED to protect his IMAGE. Trump doesn't give a fuck about you, me, or anyone else, it's all about him and his ego. 

MrFrost
6.1.15  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @6.1.13    3 weeks ago

Buy the middle of October the left wing induced panic will have subsided, the market will have rebounded considerably, and the coronavirus outbreak will be under control in the US

Trump already said it's 100% contained and isn't a big deal. Oh wait, he lied about that too. But instead of admitting he lied, you just move the lie further down the timeline in an effort to make trump look right. What's next, a sharpie pen to adjust the numbers? 

Raven Wing
6.1.16  Raven Wing  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.5    3 weeks ago

It does in the minds of the idiots and ignorant people.

MUVA
6.1.17  MUVA  replied to  MrFrost @6.1.14    3 weeks ago

Nobody would just come out and say they were happy but you can tell from comments.

Texan1211
6.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @6.1.14    3 weeks ago
Trump and the right wing have been screaming for 3+ years now that the, "fantastic" economy is all because of Trump, as soon as it tanks? It's suddenly not trump's fault. If you cannot see the hypocrisy there, it's you, not everyone else that's wrong. 

LOL! How ironic!

The left wing has been screaming for 3+ years that the economy is due to Obama and his policies, and now that it has tanked, those same people now want to blame Trump. If one can't see any hypocrisy there, it is on them personally.

WallyW
6.1.19  WallyW  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.1    3 weeks ago

History will show that the democrats will be blamed for inducing fear and panic into the population. This hysteria won't touch Trump, but is hurting a lot ordinary people.

Now the politicians want to bypass the doctor-patient relationship and test anyone who wants one. South Korea offers "drive by" testing which explains their better numbers

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/republicans-democrats-complain-to-trump-administration-officials-about-lag-in-coronavirus-testing/ar-BB116O4h?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

WallyW
6.1.20  WallyW  replied to  MrFrost @6.1.15    3 weeks ago
Trump already said it's 100% contained and isn't a big deal.
No, he didn't.

Tacos!
7  Tacos!    3 weeks ago

A lot of people are going to have ideas, but this is fairly unprecedented territory in our recent history. I don't think anyone knows for sure precisely what a president should or should not be doing. He's obviously hearing a lot of advice from all directions.

There is so much panic going on, I doubt there is much any president could have said that would have prevented the stock market from behaving stupidly. It's not as if there is no precedent for that.

XDm9mm
7.1  XDm9mm  replied to  Tacos! @7    3 weeks ago
There is so much panic going on, I doubt there is much any president could have said that would have prevented the stock market from behaving stupidly. It's not as if there is no precedent for that.

BINGO!!

The fears are being stoked by media talking heads spouting off about what they actually know nothing about.

Veronica
7.2  Veronica  replied to  Tacos! @7    3 weeks ago

Would be defending Obama if he were still President?  Or Clinton?  Or Carter?  Just wondering if you excuse just those with Rs next to their names.  AND before you ask - I have stated that I do not blame Trump for the panic, but I do not find his actions or words comforting, calming or inspiring a feeling of optimism.  This is strictly my opinion.  I do not expect you to agree, but at least be honest about you would feel if a Democrat were President at this time. 

XDm9mm
7.2.1  XDm9mm  replied to  Veronica @7.2    3 weeks ago
Would be defending Obama if he were still President?

Where was the vitriol directed at Obama during the Swine Flu pandemic?   There was none.  And 12 to 13 thousand Americans died.

Today, the vitriol directed at Trump, as if he was responsible for the virus and it's spread is palpable.   People hung together during the swine flu pandemic, people are only casting aspersions during the Covid19 pandemic.  That's the difference.

Tacos!
7.2.2  Tacos!  replied to  Veronica @7.2    3 weeks ago
Would be defending Obama if he were still President?   Or Clinton?  Or Carter?

Absolutely. For example, I have always argued that Clinton was unfairly subject to excessive investigation and his impeachment unwarranted. I don't think any of these guys is right or wrong 100% of the time, but for some people, absolutely everything Trump does is not just wrong, but it's some kind of emergency or crime.

I don't even know that I would call it "defending," yet. There's not much to defend. The criticism is so vague, it's difficult to respond to. Declaring that he failed to inspire confidence or underwhelmed traders is impossibly vague.

I think it's possible to criticize Trump, but let's do it based on stuff that matters or that he can actually control. 

Transyferous Rex
7.2.3  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Veronica @7.2    3 weeks ago
Would be defending Obama if he were still President?

I would be. Not a fan of Obama. But, I can push that aside long enough to see the forrest. Candidly, I thought he sounded canned as hell. I think that was probably the time for it though. 

Here is what I heard last night, in a nutshell. Shit is serious, take it seriously, do what you can to prevent the spread, and don't panic. 

Veronica
7.2.4  Veronica  replied to  XDm9mm @7.2.1    3 weeks ago

Veronica
7.2.5  Veronica  replied to  Tacos! @7.2.2    3 weeks ago
Absolutely. For example,

Nice to know.  I have stated before I do not blame Trump for the panic in the public arenas or in the market.  I just do not like the man, for many reasons and I do not have any confidence in him.

Dismayed Patriot
7.2.6  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Veronica @7.2.4    3 weeks ago
AND would you be so supportive if Hillary were in the White House?

If Hillary had been President during this crisis and had cut funding to the CDC as Trump has done Republicans would have been calling her a murderer blaming any resulting deaths on her. You can't expect any honesty from most Trump supporters, their hypocrisy truly knows no bounds.

XDm9mm
7.2.7  XDm9mm  replied to  Veronica @7.2.4    3 weeks ago
AND would you be so supportive if Hillary were in the White House?

No one in the White House is responsible for a disease.  PERIOD.  END OF STORY.

While I essentially despised the 'policies' of Obama, I never disparaged the man.  I didn't care about Clintons affairs, he screwed himself (figuratively, since he was actually the one doing the screwing) but please...   keep it out of the WH.   And to keep things square, Bush Jr., screwed the pooch big time and I was adamantly opposed to us getting involved in Iraq (even though I made a boat load of money in the ME) since Hussein was a paper tiger boxed in on all sides with nowhere to go.  

Veronica
7.2.8  Veronica  replied to  Transyferous Rex @7.2.3    3 weeks ago
I would be.

Good to know.

Here is what I heard last night, in a nutshell. Shit is serious, take it seriously, do what you can to prevent the spread, and don't panic. 

Here are my problems with that.  Over the past few months he was totally incorrect on his figures and facts (that may be the fault of his advisers).  There is already panic so telling people not to panic is kind of closing the barn door after the horse is out.

Veronica
7.2.9  Veronica  replied to  XDm9mm @7.2.7    3 weeks ago
No one in the White House is responsible for a disease.

No, they are not, but they are responsible for how they hand outbreaks.  AND this was poorly handled.  

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/02/factchecking-trumps-coronavirus-press-conference/

Colour Me Free
7.2.10  Colour Me Free  replied to  Veronica @7.2    3 weeks ago
  This is strictly my opinion.  I do not expect you to agree, but at least be honest about you would feel if a Democrat were President at this time. 

Why would the (R) or (D) by the presidents name have anything to do with how a president deals with a live and learn type situation?  The presidency has no job description, it is all on the job training … 

Optimism is something one either has or does not have - I listened to the current presidents words .. I listened to Obama's words when he was president as well as Bush's etc …. Obama was a better orator by far .. but his words did not somehow magically put me at peace .. that's ridiculous ..  I was however young enough during the Reagan years that his words did provide a calming affect - but that was also during the cold war

Question … Has political party loyalty gone too far? .. your comment to Tacos is based on what you consider to be his partisanship correct?  I read Tacos comments - I have never perceived them to be partisan...

Take care of you... and stay healthy...

Once the fear mongering slows down .. Wall Street will follow suit!

Tacos!
7.2.11  Tacos!  replied to  Veronica @7.2.5    3 weeks ago

I do wonder what cutting travel from Europe is going to accomplish. This feels like the proverbial closing the barn door after the horses have escaped. This is not say I think the country should have been quarantined earlier. I don't know how he could have reasonably justified it and I also think it wouldn't have mattered. The disease appears to have been in Washington state long before anyone had any reason to suspect it.

At this point, though, I think we may have to live with the reality that this disease is going to go wherever it wants and all we can do is live through it as best we can.

igknorantzrulz
7.2.12  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Veronica @7.2.9    3 weeks ago

How about all you Trump defenders take a read on Veronica's link post 7.2.9, then come back and see if you still want to defend our LIAR IN CHIEF !

Tessylo
7.2.13  Tessylo  replied to  Veronica @7.2.9    3 weeks ago

If tRump hadn't dismantled the Pandemic Response team, because Obama, things wouldn't be such a FUBAR SNAFU I imagine at this point.  Though all handling of this crisis by this administration has been so inept, incompetent and bumbling - yet typical.  

Tessylo
7.2.14  Tessylo  replied to  Colour Me Free @7.2.10    3 weeks ago
'I read Tacos comments - I have never perceived them to be partisan...'

THAT'S HILARIOUS!

Greg Jones
7.2.15  Greg Jones  replied to  Transyferous Rex @7.2.3    3 weeks ago

He was reading off a teleprompter, for once. Normally, he adlibs and rambles.

Greg Jones
7.2.16  Greg Jones  replied to  Veronica @7.2.5    3 weeks ago
I just do not like the man, for many reasons and I do not have any confidence in him.

So you are just another biased left winger. And I am pretty sure that Hillary would have been completely overwhelmed by something like this

We know she would be blaming someone for the outbreak.

Colour Me Free
7.2.17  Colour Me Free  replied to  Tessylo @7.2.14    3 weeks ago

Hi Tessylo  … not certain that you understand non partisanship .. shirley you have better things to do than make comments to me .. perhaps a seed in need of comment deletions? : )

Take care Tessylo and stay healthy

Greg Jones
7.2.18  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @7.2.13    3 weeks ago

So you have a Pandemic Response Team....what would they be doing? When would it have started? What would it have accomplished?

Tessylo
7.2.19  Tessylo  replied to  Colour Me Free @7.2.17    3 weeks ago

Not certain that you understand non-partisanship dear

Also, that's the point of a public forum, commenting to other users.  

Greg Jones
7.2.20  Greg Jones  replied to  Colour Me Free @7.2.17    3 weeks ago

She works in the field and is a health expert.

Veronica
7.2.21  Veronica  replied to  Greg Jones @7.2.16    3 weeks ago

And your reply shows you for who you are.  

Tessylo
7.2.22  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @7.2.18    3 weeks ago

Google it

Veronica
7.2.23  Veronica  replied to  Colour Me Free @7.2.10    3 weeks ago

If you read Greg's response below you will know the answer to your first question.  

I certainly believe party loyalty has gone way too far.  I am neither Democrat or Republican.  I vote for the person that I believe will be closest to my view point.  Does not matter which party they belong to.  

I have read many of Tacos comments on this thread and others.  I was simply asking the question.  I do not think it was an attack of any kind - simply a question I ask many people.

Veronica
7.2.24  Veronica  replied to  Tacos! @7.2.11    3 weeks ago
I think we may have to live with the reality that this disease is going to go wherever it wants and all we can do is live through it as best we can.

I agree totally.  Keep our heads on straight and we will weather this storm as well.  Some will do better than others.

Tessylo
7.2.25  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @7.2.20    3 weeks ago

Just like the 'president', do you make this shit up as you go along Greg?

Transyferous Rex
7.2.26  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Veronica @7.2.8    3 weeks ago

I'll not disagree with that on the whole. 

We can armchair this deal till we die. I can't remember anything like this in my lifetime. What are the correct words? I don't know. But, the partisan BS (not lumping you in there) isn't helping matters. 

Transyferous Rex
7.2.27  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Greg Jones @7.2.15    3 weeks ago

Right. I think it was the right choice under the circumstances as well. 

igknorantzrulz
7.2.28  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Transyferous Rex @7.2.26    3 weeks ago

People forget, we are ALL AMERICANS FIRST, and this 2 party surprise tuna casserole model has inhaled too much glue to stick to tape recordings of white copy paper, copied over and over, till you have even more white copy paper cuts that mimic predators looking for prey tell , possibly, copy paper cats with benign lives to kill.

I agree, our country has become divided, but seriously, the main common denominator i see in this division currently, is Trump.

gotta go make Happy Hour a bunch of Mellon Collie moments for the poor patrons in my proximity.

Just Jim NC TttH
7.2.29  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Greg Jones @7.2.18    3 weeks ago
So you have a Pandemic Response Team....what would they be doing? When would it have started? What would it have accomplished?

UMB hasn't got theirs together.............

katrix
7.2.30  katrix  replied to  Transyferous Rex @7.2.3    3 weeks ago

‘Protect yourself and your community from coronavirus with common sense precautions: wash your hands, stay home when sick and listen to the @CDCgov and local health authorities. Save the masks for health care workers. Let’s stay calm, listen to the experts, and follow the science.’

Hmm. Obama managed to get this message out on March 4th, while Trump was still trying to pretend he had it contained.

Veronica
7.2.31  Veronica  replied to  Transyferous Rex @7.2.26    3 weeks ago
But, the partisan BS (not lumping you in there) isn't helping matters. 

I agree with that completely.  Time to deal with what needs to be dealt with, together.  I am so sick of the battle lines within the country.

Colour Me Free
7.2.32  Colour Me Free  replied to  Veronica @7.2.23    3 weeks ago

Thanks for the response Veronica … I am just getting back, so am just now reading comments .. I am a question asker as well, and did not feel as if you had attacked anyone or anything in your comment - perhaps I could have worded my comment better (?) .. I just wanted to understand better where your comment was coming from ..

Thanks again .. 

Veronica
7.2.33  Veronica  replied to  Colour Me Free @7.2.32    3 weeks ago
perhaps I could have worded my comment better (?)

No, it was fine.  I am just a little touchy today.  

Colour Me Free
7.2.34  Colour Me Free  replied to  igknorantzrulz @7.2.28    3 weeks ago
I agree, our country has become divided, but seriously, the main common denominator i see in this division currently, is Trump.

Think I missed something … when did the divide become a 'current' one (?) there has been a divide in this nation for far longer than Trump has been in the Oval Office, it is ridicules to say he is the common denominator.. and if he is the common denominator he has had 'control' of the nation for at least 20 years!  Were Bush and Obama Trump's puppets?  We know Romney was waiting in line for Trump's endorsement...!

I think Trump is a puke .. but he does not own the divide!

Colour Me Free
7.2.35  Colour Me Free  replied to  Veronica @7.2.33    3 weeks ago
I am just a little touchy today.  

There are a lot of things going on right now .. I can see how 'being touchy' can happen ..  I am watching oil prices and the possible ramifications of the Saudi's and Russia's 'flooding the oil market' war [for lack of a better term] could effect the US's 'energy independence' … quite a few moving parts in the market at this time

Transyferous Rex
7.2.36  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Veronica @7.2.31    3 weeks ago

There will be time enough for arguing policy. Frankly, I can't stand watching any national news anymore. 

Raven Wing
7.2.37  Raven Wing  replied to  Transyferous Rex @7.2.26    3 weeks ago
But, the partisan BS (not lumping you in there) isn't helping matters. 

Totally agree. Diseases do not recognize partisan association, nor religious affiliation, sexual preferences, gender, age, or other issues that are now tearing our country apart. The only thing it concerns itself with is a person's health. The virus does not ask a person what political party they are loyal to like some like to think.

Raven Wing
7.2.38  Raven Wing  replied to  igknorantzrulz @7.2.28    3 weeks ago
we are ALL AMERICANS FIRST,

Agreed. Well said.

Exactly. The next thing we may see is people fighting over TP.

Transyferous Rex
7.2.39  Transyferous Rex  replied to  igknorantzrulz @7.2.28    3 weeks ago

Make mine a double.

the main common denominator i see in this division currently, is Trump.

Next, it will be someone else. The two party system is not the culprit, but the folks that are making livings in DC, I think, and whichever brand of news one likes to frequent. You are treated to either bashing or praising. 

30 years or more in the house. The list of senators is similar, and includes the number of years that many of them were members of the house before being elected to the senate. 

1 Don Young R Alaska at-large March 6, 1973   Dean of the House
2 Jim Sensenbrenner R Wisconsin 5 January 3, 1979  
3 Hal Rogers R Kentucky 5 January 3, 1981
4 Chris Smith R New Jersey 4
5 Steny Hoyer D Maryland 5 May 19, 1981 Majority Leader
6 Marcy Kaptur D Ohio 9 January 3, 1983  
7 Pete Visclosky D Indiana 1 January 3, 1985
8 Peter DeFazio D Oregon 4 January 3, 1987 Chair: Transportation and Infrastructure
9 John Lewis D Georgia 5  
10 Fred Upton R Michigan 6
11 Nancy Pelosi D California 12 June 2, 1987 Speaker of the House
12 Frank Pallone D New Jersey 6 November 8, 1988 Chair: Energy and Commerce
13 Eliot Engel D New York 16 January 3, 1989 Chair: Foreign Affairs
14 Nita Lowey D New York 17 Chair: Appropriations
15 Richard Neal D Massachusetts 1 Chair: Ways and Means
16 José E. Serrano D New York 15 March 20, 1990

Transyferous Rex
7.2.40  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Colour Me Free @7.2.35    3 weeks ago
I am watching oil prices and the possible ramifications of the Saudi's and Russia's 'flooding the oil market' war [for lack of a better term]

6 years ago, $50/bbl would have been scoffed at. Begging for it now. We are down in the 2016 numbers. 

Colour Me Free
7.2.41  Colour Me Free  replied to  Transyferous Rex @7.2.40    3 weeks ago
Begging for it now. We are down in the 2016 numbers. 

The Saudi's have too much power / control on oil production - Russia is so heavily sanctioned with limited sale options and still producing .  Both of these countries oil is government controlled .. the US is not - a buddy of mine thinks that this could cause a US oil bust .. 'we' are kind of / sort of only energy independent when the market allows it.. (?)