╌>

All Broadway Shows Closing For One Month

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  22 comments

All Broadway Shows Closing For One Month

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpb-asset-replication.s

The governor of New York is closing down all Broadway theaters for one month, ending on April 12th, out of concern for the spread of the coronavirus. 

This reminds a little of Shakespeare's London, when the theaters would be closed during outbreaks of the plague and the acting troupes would go "on the road" to smaller towns and villages and perform there, where there were no government restrictions. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago

The show must not go on. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago

The start of the Major League baseball season is being delayed until mid-April as well. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    4 years ago

I would guess there is no way to know at this point if a month will be remotely long enough. Or contrariwise, if it will do any good.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1  katrix  replied to  Tacos! @3    4 years ago

Not shutting down large public gatherings is blamed for killing thousands in Philly during the Spanish Flu. The numbers were derived by comparing their deaths to St. Louis, which handled it completely differently. So ... hopefully it will help.

Although the goal seems really to be to delay the spread so it doesn't overwhelm our health care system. I've read estimates that something like 40% - 70% of us will probably end up catching it regardless of what is done - the goal is for us not to all catch it at the same time.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  katrix @3.1    4 years ago

Thankfully, your uninformed panic and hysteria is not contagious

But keep ignoring what the real experts and doctors are saying.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.1    4 years ago

But keep ignoring what the real experts and doctors are saying.

The flu kills about 40k people in America every year. Trump's admin said that Coronavirus is 10x more deadly with a 1% mortality rate. 

1) 1% is way off, as I listed below. 

2) The person that said that? Real expert. He also said that there will be a lot more people who will die from this virus. 

You can toe the party line if you like and just repeat their BS statements, but the reality is that this virus is just getting started. The worst is yet to come. But don't panic, go on about your life, don't wash your hands, hang out with large groups of people and whine that the left is inciting panic, (they aren't but the right wing apparently panics REALLY easily). Yes, Coronavirus is just like cancer, if you ignore it, it will eventually just, "go away". /s

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.2    4 years ago

I don't believe any single "expert", but the collective consensus of informed opinions, of which yours is not one.

It is almost exclusively affecting the elderly who are already sick and in nursing homes. It doesn't appear to affect kids and young people. 

What with all raising of awareness,  these closures keeping people apart, and testing ramping up,  the worst is probably occurring right about now.

I'll leave the panicking and mindless hysteria to you and yours. I suspect the final fatality rate will be much less than is being touted by the stupid.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1.4  katrix  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.1    4 years ago

Even fox news is telling it's employees to work from home, while bullshitting their viewers. B

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4  MrFrost    4 years ago

Based on current numbers:

Total infections so far: 134,176

Deceased: 4,965

Mortality rate: 3.7006%

USA ~325 million people, potential of : 12,026,950 dead.

Globally 7.4 billion people, potential of: 273,844,400 dead.

*These numbers are based on a "worst case scenario", with available data. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1  Greg Jones  replied to  MrFrost @4    4 years ago

In the US, about 40 have died...mostly old and ill people in Washington state in nursing homes.

But thousands that were infected have recovered.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1    4 years ago

Did you read my post at all? Obviously not. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.1    4 years ago

I don't deal with worst case scenarios, I deal with reality and how the leftist and media induced panic and hysteria will play out.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
5  Dean Moriarty    4 years ago

Makes more sense to me than the Chinese restaurants in the featured article of the day that what more people spreading the virus around. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

When was the last time the lights went out on Broadway?

Austere
Freshman Silent
9  Austere     4 years ago

There Is Always Clay Court Tennis Season Overseas. I Will Gawk and Admire Rafa Nadal and Be In Joyful Bliss..Grunt grunt ...