The Wuhan Flu is now China's leading export.

By:  badfish-hd-h-u  •  3 months ago  •  79 comments

The Wuhan Flu is now China's leading export.

It's Sunday, day three of the Media's hysterical pandemic.

Do you have enough toilet paper for a respiratory cold?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen"
1  author  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen"    3 months ago

I'm one of those deranged preppers so i have everything i need to survive 12 months.

Hopefully all of you are doing well.

MUVA
1.1  MUVA  replied to  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen" @1    3 months ago

I'm sick and cancelled a trip to Breckenridge last week, don't think I have  virus but the flu and I got a flu shot for the first time in years.

XDm9mm
1.1.1  XDm9mm  replied to  MUVA @1.1    3 months ago
don't think I have  virus but the flu and I got a flu shot for the first time in years.

What too many don't realize is that getting the 'flu' shot does NOT//NOT mean you won't get the flu.  But in the event you do come down with it, it will very likely be much milder as you have (theoretically anyway) developed a bit of resistance to it.

Take care and get well.

Dean Moriarty
1.1.2  Dean Moriarty  replied to  MUVA @1.1    3 months ago

Breckenridge closed today with the rest of the ski areas in Colorado. I hope you get well soon. 

Paula Bartholomew
1.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  MUVA @1.1    3 months ago

Are you going to self quarantine just in case?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
1.1.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MUVA @1.1    3 months ago

You should have that checked out to see if you do indeed have the flu so you can get Tamiflu. No one should be guessing at what they have. 

Get well soon.

Kathleen
1.1.5  Kathleen  replied to  MUVA @1.1    3 months ago

Hope you feel better soon.

Buzz of the Orient
1.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dean Moriarty @1.1.2    3 months ago

You know don't you, but will not admit, that China stole the virus from the USA.  It was able to get the info from your cellphone.

Vic Eldred
1.1.7  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.6    3 months ago

Where is the /s ?

MUVA
1.1.8  MUVA  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.3    3 months ago

Yes 

MUVA
1.1.9  MUVA  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.4    3 months ago

going to the DR on Tuesday.

Buzz of the Orient
1.1.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.7    3 months ago

Sarcasm?  It's no less the truth than your flat screen TV reports what you watch, your washing machine reports what you wear, your refrigerator reports what you eat, your car reports where you go and your computer reports everything you write.  What I don't know for sure is what Chinese condoms report.

XDm9mm
1.2  XDm9mm  replied to  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen" @1    3 months ago
I'm one of those deranged preppers so i have everything i need to survive 12 months. Hopefully all of you are doing well.

You and me both!!

I WILL admit to one glaring shortcoming I just realized.   COFFEE!!!

That will be rectified this week when Amazon delivers a brand that's "dark roast" and low acid.   I've actually found it much better than all other dark or "French" roast types I previously used.

Like you likely are, I'm also well equipped to protect what I have.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
1.2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @1.2    3 months ago

Coffee was the first item I got, LOL! 

The Magic Eight Ball
1.2.2  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.1    3 months ago

LOL

me too.

the world can end any day it likes, but im not running out of coffee for any reason.

priorities :)

Kathleen
1.2.3  Kathleen  replied to  XDm9mm @1.2    3 months ago

I have plenty of coffee too, may need to get some more supplies soon.  We took a drive to Assateague this morning to see the horses and plenty of folks out and about.

Stay safe you all.

Buzz of the Orient
1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen" @1    3 months ago
"The Wuhan Flu Is Now China's Leading Export."

Maybe Trump should have put a hefty tariff on it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2  Perrie Halpern R.A.    3 months ago

Right now in the US, we are at a 2% mortality rate. Italy is at 17%. The Spanish flu of 1918 was mild for some but it killed at 4-5% which was over 50 million died worldwide since we didn't know how to control anything like this back then.

When the body has never been exposed to a virus, the outcome is unpredictable. Right now it looks like if you have respiratory issues like asthma, or are a senior, you are at risk. The rest of us might get a mild illness but are wonderful vectors for transmitting the disease. 

So be glad that you stocked up and stay away from any seniors. 

XDm9mm
2.1  XDm9mm  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    3 months ago
Right now in the US, we are at a 2% mortality rate.

We're at a 2% rate primarily because we don't actually have good data to work from.  I personally suspect many have/had the bug and don't/didn't even realize it which would of course lower the current %.

There are a few questions I have;

1- How many people have actually been hospitalized due to this virus?

2- Of those hospitalized, how many recovered and went home?  And of course how many succumbed?

3- How many people are being directed to self quarantine due to a positive test?

4- How many people that were self quarantining recovered and how many needed further care in a hospital setting?

5- Of those 'recovered', do they now have some type of immunity to further infection?

How many people are just going FULL BORE PANIC mode and essentially making life for everyone else miserable?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1    3 months ago

Look at Italy who took their sweet time in taking care of the virus. They are not doing well. Same with Iran. And China, who denied it at first and then took their time before lock down has 80,849 cases( they say) and 3,200 dead which translates into a 4% mortality rate which pretty much equals what the Spanish flu killed.

The best country to look at is Korea, which is doing mass testing and confinement. 

Korea has 8162 cases of the disease and 75 deaths. That is what happens when you handle a situation well. 

Because we lagged behind in testing (and yes I do blame the gov for this), we have no idea how many people were/ are infected. 

The truth of the matter is we can be careful or risk another Spanish flu. It's a crap shoot. 

XDm9mm
2.1.2  XDm9mm  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.1    3 months ago
The best country to look at is Korea, which is doing mass testing and confinement. 
Korea has 8162 cases of the disease and 75 deaths. That is what happens when you handle a situation well. 

That's all well and good, but lest you forget, Trump stopped travel from the epicenter of the outbreak in January severely limiting our exposure to a great deal of it.  As it is, I believe they've determined that about 70% of the infected in this country actually had interactions with Europeans, mainly Italians either by them visiting here or our visiting there.  Hence our shutting down travel to/from Europe.

Because we lagged behind in testing (and yes I do blame the gov for this), we have no idea how many people were/ are infected. 

While testing has been a problem, the mortality has thus far been as seen elsewhere essentially isolated to the elderly, and those with underlying conditions making them vulnerable, like diabetes and COPD type issues.

The truth of the matter is we can be careful or risk another Spanish flu. It's a crap shoot. 

When dealing with nature, it's always a crap shoot.  No matter how much we think we know, nature will always throw a curve ball to prove what's really in charge.....  and it ain't us.   All we can do is the best we can with what we have and hope it's sufficient to help us wake up the next day to complain about life or exalt in knowing we're pushing the grass down and not up!!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.2    3 months ago
That's all well and good, but lest you forget, Trump stopped travel from the epicenter of the outbreak in January 

That was to China. Not Europe. And if you also remember he said it was a hoax and a cold. We were not ready for the number of testing kits like S Korea. I could go on, but in this great country, we should have been better prepared. 

While testing has been a problem, the mortality has thus far been as seen elsewhere essentially isolated to the elderly, and those with underlying conditions making them vulnerable, like diabetes and COPD type issues.

We are just at the beginning of the curve. Hopefully, we have done it in time, but only time will tell. 

The irony of the situation, is that if we do our job well, then everyone will say it was much to do about nothing. On the other hand, if we don't do our job well, we will be looking at a lot of misery and again, there will be "I told you so's" from a different batch of people. 

There really is no way to end up a winner in this discussion, since to win one way, is a big lose another. I don't want to be right. 

KDMichigan
2.1.4  KDMichigan  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.3    3 months ago

I'm so tired of this worn out left wing talking point that President Trump called the COVID 19 virus a hoax. Even left wing snopes refutes this. And as far as being better prepared, maybe if the whole country wasn't chasing the impeachment monkey at the outset of the virus we might have payed attention to what was happening in Wuhan, if I remember correctly when President Trump put a travel ban on china at the outset the TDS sufferers were crying about that.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.1.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  KDMichigan @2.1.4    3 months ago
I'm so tired of this worn out left wing talking point that President Trump called the COVID 19 virus a hoax.

Let me be specific. He said that it was a Democartic Hoax. That no one has died here in the US, and that the press is in hysteria mode, Would you like to see the video of him minimizing this? And sorry, I don't remember anyone complaining about the ban to China, since China was in lockdown already.

And as far as being better prepared, maybe if the whole country wasn't chasing the impeachment monkey at the outset of the virus we might have payed attention to what was happening in Wuhan

Funny it was at about this time that Trump was trying to get cuts to the  CDC, that congress vetoed. And no, not during impeachment time. 

The president introduced his fiscal year 2021 budget proposal on Feb. 10, just 11 days after the World Health Organization declared the coronavirus outbreak a public health emergency of international concerns. The spending plan included a 16 percent reduction in CDC funding from the 2020 spending levels.

In fact, all of Trump’s budget proposals have called for cuts to CDC funding, but Congress has intervened each time by passing spending bills with year-over-year increases for the CDC that Trump then signed into law.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-cut-cdcs-budget-democrats-claim-analysis/story?id=69233170

XDm9mm
2.1.6  XDm9mm  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.3    3 months ago
That's all well and good, but lest you forget, Trump stopped travel from the epicenter of the outbreak in January 
That was to China. Not Europe. And if you also remember he said it was a hoax and a cold. We were not ready for the number of testing kits like S Korea. I could go on, but in this great country, we should have been better prepared. 

Yeah...  that was to China, UNTIL the problem in Europe was recognized and then acted on.   Can you imagine what would have been said if he stopped travel to Europe at the same time?   Hell, many of the left and the media talking heads and politicians were pissing and moaning about shutting down China as racist and xenophobic. 

So, since we should have been better prepared, please tell us all exactly what should be prepared for the next time we have a global pandemic or any other national emergency for that matter.  I know not only do I want to know, but I can damn well assure you EVERYONE wants to know so they too can prepare.

PS:  Remember, hind sight is ALWAYS 20/20 and arm chair generals are a dime a gross.

We are just at the beginning of the curve. Hopefully, we have done it in time, but only time will tell. 

Granted we're at the beginning of the curve simply due to the quick action Trump took that Europe did not.  

There most certainly is a way to be a "winner", do everything we can to mitigate the spread as much as humanly possible and keep the death toll as low as is humanly possible while accepting that there will be some unfortunate deaths.

Buzz of the Orient
2.1.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.1    3 months ago

Hubei Province and especially its capital, Wuhan, which was the starting point and epicentre of the epidemic (epicentre - epidemic, a nice word match) but it far outweighs the mortality rate elsewhere in China.  In Chongqing, a city-state with 32 million population, where I live, had less than 600 cases and only 6 deaths (a 1% mortality rate), most are already recovered with few left in the hospitals, and there have been no new cases for about two weeks.  Although schools are still closed, stores and restaurants are starting to reopen, and many people are getting out and around, but everyone is wearing surgical masks.  Apparently China has started to recover.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.1.8  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.6    3 months ago
So, since we should have been better prepared, please tell us all exactly what should be prepared for the next time we have a global pandemic or any other national emergency for that matter.  I know not only do I want to know, but I can damn well assure you EVERYONE wants to know so they too can prepare.

Simple. The same way that S Korea was prepared. We were not prepared for it. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.1.9  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.7    3 months ago

Buzz,

With all due respect, you were not the epicenter of this. Wuhan was. And only in an authoritarian society can you do what the Chinese did. I wish I could show you the videos that have gotten out of China of people being dragged out of their homes. And even with that. China had 80,850 cases with you have 3,200 dead and people still in serious condition. But just taking your total mortality rate, is 4%. You might not being getting the same numbers that the WHO has, but hey, you also don't have youtube. 

KDMichigan
2.1.10  KDMichigan  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.5    3 months ago
Let me be specific.

Lets. You implied he called the Virus a hoax, that is the TDS sufferers talking points.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-coronavirus-rally-remark/

Funny it was at about this time that Trump was trying to get cuts to the  CDC, that congress vetoed.

The same thing Obama did...Yet I don't recall the media and republicans blaming Obama for the swine flu or ebola?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/obama-cdc-funding_n_5990114

And no, not during impeachment time. 

You better check your facts.

Buzz of the Orient
2.1.11  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.9    3 months ago
"With all due respect, you were not the epicenter of this. Wuhan was."  

Please reread what I said.  I SAID that Wuhan was the epicentre.  I did not disagree with the total numbers or total mortality rate.  I was speaking about where I am in China, what I am seeing with my own eyes. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.1.12  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  KDMichigan @2.1.10    3 months ago
Lets. You implied he called the Virus a hoax, that is the TDS sufferers talking points.

The president said it was a democratic hoax. How is one to interpret that? That it is not real, and the dems were making much about nothing, no?

The same thing Obama did...Yet I don't recall the media and republicans blaming Obama for the swine flu or ebola?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/obama-cdc-funding_n_5990114

And yet you are showing me a liberal paper from 2014 complaining about it, so don't say that media didn't complain.

And no, not during impeachment time. 

You better check your facts.

I did. I am right.

The president introduced his fiscal year 2021 budget proposal on Feb. 10, just 11 days after the World Health Organization declared the coronavirus outbreak a public health emergency of international concerns. The spending plan included a 16 percent reduction in CDC funding from the 2020 spending levels.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-cut-cdcs-budget-democrats-claim-analysis/story?id=69233170

Trump's impeachment was December 18, 2019. This was after that.

KDMichigan
2.1.13  KDMichigan  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.12    3 months ago
And yet you are showing me a liberal paper from 2014 complaining about it, so don't say that media didn't complain.

5 years after the fact. 

Trump's impeachment was December 18, 2019. This was after that.

Gee thats funny I could have sworn it dragged thru into the senate until into February when he was acquitted. I must be some kind of right wing conservative extreme Trump supporter to think that...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.1.14  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  KDMichigan @2.1.13    3 months ago
5 years after the fact. 

What are you talking about? It clearly says it was published in 2014

Gee thats funny I could have sworn it dragged thru into the senate until into February when he was acquitted. I must be some kind of right wing conservative extreme Trump supporter to think that...

And even if that was the case, this makes that worse, since he tried to cut the CDC even during his own impeachment... and during the events going on in China. 

Look KD, you started this thread with the TDS name calling and now with the "I must be some kind of right wing conservative extreme Trump supporter". If I wanted to say any of those things I would have, but I didn't. 

Buzz of the Orient
2.1.15  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.11    3 months ago

No reply to my response, Perrie?

Buzz of the Orient
2.1.16  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.15    3 months ago

I might not get to see YouTube, but I have seen the WHO numbers on English language TV and on multiple international internet news sources.

XDm9mm
2.1.17  XDm9mm  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.8    3 months ago
Simple. The same way that S Korea was prepared. We were not prepared for it. 

Be specific.  Exactly how.

Don't dance around it.

lib50
2.1.18  lib50  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.17    3 months ago

They began testing IMMEDIATELY and worked on isolating positives and following their contacts. And the information flows out as they get it.  Proactive. 

https://www.lawfareblog.com/lessons-america-how-south-korean-authorities-used-law-fight-coronavirus

Kathleen
2.2  Kathleen  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    3 months ago

I have asthma, but a mild case of it, plus I am on Prednisone right now for itching. So I am trying to keep vigilant about this.

pat wilson
2.2.1  pat wilson  replied to  Kathleen @2.2    3 months ago

Don't stay on it too long. It can weaken your bones and cause dementia.

Kathleen
2.2.2  Kathleen  replied to  pat wilson @2.2.1    3 months ago

Dementia could be a blessing, you don’t  know what is going on so you don’t worry about anything...

I am on it for 9 days.

Ed-NavDoc
2.2.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kathleen @2.2    3 months ago

I am immune compromised with moderate to severe Reuhmatoid Arthritis. I have to take biologic agents to boost my immune system. Fortunately I don't go out that much. I live in Cochise County in SE Arizona on the Mexican border. To date there has not been one single recorded case of the virus here. We just sit here watching the rampant fear mongering going on elsewhere. We are taking precautions that were recommended. I went to my local Walmart yesterday and found that the shelves of toilet paper, paper towels, and napkins were totally bare. For some reason they left most of the boxes of Kleenex alone so I grabbed boxes of those. One the employees I know told me most of the toilet paper was snatched up by shoppers coming from just across the border from Mexico. That left me wondering why stores do not put limits on just how much people can buy at a time? My daughter looked on e-bay and found toilet paper selling for $20.00 for 4 roll packs and up to $40.00 for 6 roll packs! 

r.t..b...
2.2.4  r.t..b...  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.2.3    3 months ago
That left me wondering why stores do not put limits on just how much people can buy at a time?

Just to add-on...I was at our closest Safeway in PHX this morning at 6:00 AM to pick-up lunch for the day as we were traveling back home from Colorado this weekend and the cupboard was bare. The line was out the door, there were signs saying one package of TP per customer.

As an aside, the flight back home was packed, but the airport was quieter than normal given the normal influx of folks coming into town this time of year. 

This whole thing will get worse before it gets better. We will see the worst of some and the best in others. Let's just take a breath, leave out the politics, and care for ourselves, our families, and our neighbors as we have always done and this too shall pass. 

XDm9mm
2.2.5  XDm9mm  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.2.3    3 months ago
I am immune compromised with moderate to severe Reuhmatoid Arthritis. I have to take biologic agents to boost my immune system.

Damn Ed, that sucks.  I hope you have at least a 30 day supply of meds on hand.  I usually have about 60 days or more of my BP meds and the same for the wifes gut issue meds.

Fortunately I don't go out that much. I live in Cochise County in SE Arizona on the Mexican border. To date there has not been one single recorded case of the virus here.

Other than the imported cases at JBSA (Joint Base San Antonio) we have three 'confirmed' cases here in Bexar Co. TX.  All of them have recently returned from Europe.  I believe it was two from Italy and one from Spain.  Other than that , nadda.

We just sit here watching the rampant fear mongering going on elsewhere. We are taking precautions that were recommended.

I'm watching the fear mongering by the media.  I watched Governor Cuomo the other day, and while I totally disagree with his politics, he actually was quite calming and made sense.  He thanksed Trump for his and his administrations support and advised people to follow the advice of the federal government.  ( I suspect he'll he either the Knight in Shining Armor to sweep in at the DNC Convention or as the 2024 Democrat candidate.)

I went to my local Walmart yesterday and found that the shelves of toilet paper, paper towels, and napkins were totally bare. For some reason they left most of the boxes of Kleenex alone so I grabbed boxes of those. One the employees I know told me most of the toilet paper was snatched up by shoppers coming from just across the border from Mexico. That left me wondering why stores do not put limits on just how much people can buy at a time? My daughter looked on e-bay and found toilet paper selling for $20.00 for 4 roll packs and up to $40.00 for 6 roll packs! 

We had the same here in San Antonio.  Shelves stripped barer than a stripper in a "we bare all" "Gentlemens Club".   Hell, about the only thing I could find was jars of sliced Jalapenos.

The local HEB will reopen this morning and "corporate" has already said they will LIMIT the sales of certain items.  Which I don't know, nor really care.   I'm what people call a 'prepper' so I'm actually good for at least a year if absolutely necessary, and as I noted yesterday, even my one shortcoming "coffee" will be corrected this week with an Amazon delivery!!

By the way, your daughter must have been looking at the used TP.  The ones I saw went from $40 for a SINGLE ROLL, to (and I know this had to have been either someone on drugs or really hoping for that golden egg) $27,777.00 for a six roll pack.   

Kathleen
2.2.7  Kathleen  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.2.3    3 months ago

Hi Ed, I am doing the same thing. I went to the grocery store and no potatoes, no paper products and half the shelves were empty in the entire store. It was something else. Just try to stay home if you can, having a compromised immune system can put you at a little more risk.

Wishing you and your family well...

JaneDoe
3  JaneDoe    3 months ago

Just a joke... Stay safe my friends!

4  author  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen"    3 months ago

What have we learned? Out media can turn a common upper respiratory virus into the black plague.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
4.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen" @4    3 months ago

I don't know how you can say that when the WHO and the NIH are saying contrary and Italy's numbers of dead is pretty impressive.  

4.1.1  author  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen"  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1    3 months ago

The hysteria is all for not. The flu is a much greater threat. History will not be kind to the profiteers of panic and i refuse to participate in this overhyped false alarm.

TTGA
4.1.2  TTGA  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1    3 months ago
Out media can turn a common upper respiratory virus into the black plague.
I don't know how you can say that when the WHO and the NIH are saying contrary

So Perrie, are you saying that WHO and NIH consider it comparable to the black plague?

Italy's numbers of dead is pretty impressive.  

Only if considered in isolation.  As a percentage of population the number is microscopic.  In this country, we have just over 50 deaths.....out of a population of 330,000,000 people.  We lose more than that on the highways every day. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
4.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TTGA @4.1.2    3 months ago
So Perrie, are you saying that WHO and NIH consider it comparable to the black plague?

Where did I ever say that? And for the record, coronavirus is a virus, and the black plague was a bacteria. The plague still exists, but we have antibiotics to treat it.

Only if considered in isolation.  As a percentage of population the number is microscopic.  In this country, we have just over 50 deaths.....out of a population of 330,000,000 people.  We lose more than that on the highways every day. 

That is because other countries are trying to stop this. Will it only be good if we don't? 

Again, here is the irony:

The irony of the situation is that if we do our job well, then everyone will say it was much to do about nothing. On the other hand, if we don't do our job well, we will be looking at a lot of misery and again, there will be "I told you so's" from a different batch of people. 

There really is no way to end up a winner in this discussion, since to win one way, is a big lose another. I don't want to be right. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
4.1.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen" @4.1.1    3 months ago

OK, the flu has been around forever, but the reason it was such a killer was because it was a new strain of the virus that our bodies didn't recognize. Well, our bodies don't recognize the coronavirus because it came from animals. 

TTGA
4.1.5  TTGA  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.3    3 months ago
Where did I ever say that?

Perrie, look at the first two lines in my post 4-1.  First is Fish's comment.  Yours is the second and you referenced  WHO and NIH in order to refute his comment.  When you put his statement and your answer together, that is precisely what you said.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
4.1.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TTGA @4.1.5    3 months ago

BF said:

What have we learned? Out media can turn a common upper respiratory virus into the black plague.

And I ignored the hyperbole of that comment and gave a common-sense one:

I don't know how you can say that when the WHO and the NIH are saying contrary and Italy's numbers of dead is pretty impressive.  

So I am still unclear how I brought up the plague. I am talking cornavirus and ignoring the whole plague comment. 

Dignitatem Societatis
4.1.7  Dignitatem Societatis  replied to  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen" @4.1.1    3 months ago
Out media can turn a common upper respiratory virus into the black plague.

It's not common, it's new.

It's a novel coronavirus strain (possibly 2) for which we currently lack immunity.

The flu is a much greater threat.

That's completely false.

The COVID-19 virus is more transmissible than the flu. It can survive on surfaces 2 to 3 times longer, and it can take days longer for people to feel symptomatic, giving them more time to inadvertently spread it to others (not knowing they have it).

It also seems to have at least 10 times the mortality rate of the flu. And let's not forget that we already have vaccines for the most common flu strains.

Flu is not the greater threat.

i refuse to participate in this overhyped false alarm.

Meaning what? You're not going to wash your hands? You're not going to take precautions like avoiding public gatherings?

On your own head be it. 

Let's hope you don't become a vector and possibly kill someone else in the process, though.

Kathleen
4.1.9  Kathleen  replied to    3 months ago

It’s more of a older person virus. It looks like 65 and older. The young could carry it, but it does not harm them like the older folks. 

4.1.10  author  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen"  replied to  Kathleen @4.1.9    3 months ago

The difference is life has value to us, every life. We will care for the elderly and never will we ever decide they are too old to care for like the socialized medicine countries.

Disgusting read about Italy.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/14/italians-80-will-left-die-country-overwhelmed-coronavirus/

Kathleen
4.1.11  Kathleen  replied to  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen" @4.1.10    3 months ago

I know, please don’t forget about our old folks. Our parents and if still living our grandparents. They took care of us, now we must take care of them.  

Dignitatem Societatis
4.1.12  Dignitatem Societatis  replied to  Kathleen @4.1.9    3 months ago
It’s more of a older person virus. It looks like 65 and older.

Older people have the highest mortality rates, but a life threatening infection isn't limited to people 65 and older.

An ER doctor in his 40s is in critical condition from coronavirus in Seattle.

Dignitatem Societatis
4.1.13  Dignitatem Societatis  replied to  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen" @4.1.10    3 months ago
Disgusting read about Italy.

What do you expect them to do?

4.1.14  author  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen"  replied to  Dignitatem Societatis @4.1.13    3 months ago

Take care of their seniors.

Wtf 

sandy-2021492
4.1.15  sandy-2021492  replied to  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen" @4.1.14    3 months ago

They have limited resources.  They have to allocate those limited resources wisely.  Sometimes, that means the person with the best chance of surviving and thriving after treatment gets those resources.

And it has nothing to do with socialism.  Capitalism can't even keep toilet paper on the shelves.  You think it's going to magically create ventilators?

4.1.16  author  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen"  replied to  Dignitatem Societatis @4.1.7    3 months ago

You are spreading misinformation.

4.1.17  author  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen"  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.15    3 months ago

Dental care in Venezuela a country one of the self identified Democrat socialists running for president as a Democrat in the US cited as a inspiration a few years ago is absolutely abhorrent.

I'd probably not dismiss healthcare tragedies under Marxism. It won't work out well when i begin to throw out stats.

Pack it up.

sandy-2021492
4.1.18  sandy-2021492  replied to  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen" @4.1.17    3 months ago
self identified

Key words.

4.1.19  author  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen"  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.18    3 months ago

Oh right. He's the only one.

https://www.newsweek.com/76-percent-democrats-say-theyd-vote-socialist-president-new-poll-shows-1486732

Pack it up Sandy, you can't back up your defense of this topic The real question though is why defend such an indefensible and failed socioeconomic system?

Be back tomorrow to destroy any reply you come up with. With statistical facts.....

sandy-2021492
4.1.20  sandy-2021492  replied to  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen" @4.1.19    3 months ago

This isn't about socialism, BF.  You tried to make it about socialism.  It's about limited resources.  That is not unique to socialism.  The fact that there is neither milk nor toilet paper at my local supermarket is a pretty good indicator of that.  And if you think we can't run short of medical resources here in the US, you're mistaken.  Ask anybody who's waiting for an organ donation.  You know a younger patient will get a heart or kidney before an older patient, yes?  It's an unfortunate reality of medicine.

I eagerly await your proof that capitalism yields infinite medical resources.  This should be fun.

Dignitatem Societatis
4.1.21  Dignitatem Societatis  replied to  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen" @4.1.14    3 months ago
Take care of their seniors. Wtf 

How? Didn't you read your own link? It's an issue of limited intensive care resources, not a lack of desire to take care of anyone.

Wtf

sandy-2021492
4.1.22  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dignitatem Societatis @4.1.21    3 months ago

It seems to me that one of the best ways to care for our elderly is to reduce their risk of contracting the virus by not minimizing how serious it is.

Dignitatem Societatis
4.1.23  Dignitatem Societatis  replied to  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen" @4.1.16    3 months ago
You are spreading misinformation.

Like hell I am. You should look a little closer at your graph.

That 10% flu figure is for cases actually confirmed through testing. Most people who get the flu do not get tested, or even go to the hospital. The graph shows you the estimated cases figure, with a mortality rate of 0.1%. That's the number the professionals are talking about, the mortality rate overall, not just among those who become sick enough to go to the hospital.

As far as the coronavirus parts of the graph are concerned, the data is so incomplete that it makes me wonder what you were thinking presenting that for evidence. It's just getting started, for crying out loud. The deaths per estimated cases figure isn't even provided to contrast with the flu, but medical experts (including Trump's own guy, Dr. Anthony Fauci) have repeatedly stated that it looks to be somewhere in the ball park of 1% overall, making it at least ten times deadlier than the flu. Exactly as I stated.

What was the source of that incomplete and misleading graph, anyway?

Dignitatem Societatis
4.1.24  Dignitatem Societatis  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.22    3 months ago
It seems to me that one of the best ways to care for our elderly is to reduce their risk of contracting the virus by not minimizing how serious it is.

Words to live by. Pun intended.

Ed-NavDoc
4.1.25  Ed-NavDoc  replied to    3 months ago

One also has to consider that there are now two known strains of the virus. The original Type A and it's mutated strain Type B. Type A is said to be the more virulent while Type B is said to be less so. Apparently Type A has done most of the killing.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
4.1.26  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.1.25    3 months ago

Actually, Ed, Flu B causes more fatality, especially in children, but Flu A is more common. This year we had both.

https://www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/what-is-influenza-b

sandy-2021492
4.1.27  sandy-2021492  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.26    3 months ago

I think Ed is referring to 2 strains of the coronavirus.  I'd heard that doctors suspected that, too.

Ed-NavDoc
4.1.28  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.27    3 months ago

Yes, I was referring to the Coronavirus.

lib50
4.1.29  lib50  replied to  TTGA @4.1.2    2 months ago

Watch Italy.  That's us in 2 weeks.

JohnRussell
4.2  JohnRussell  replied to  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen" @4    3 months ago
novel
[ˈnävəl]
ADJECTIVE
novel   (adjective)
  1. new or unusual in an interesting way.
    "he hit on a novel idea to solve his financial problems"
    synonyms:
    new   ·   original   ·   unusual   ·   unfamiliar   ·   unconventional   ·   off-center   ·   unorthodox   ·   different   ·   fresh   ·   imaginative   ·   creative   ·   innovative   ·   innovatory   ·   innovational   ·   inventive   ·   modern   ·   ultramodern   ·   state-of-the-art   ·   advanced   ·   avant-garde   ·   futuristic   ·   pioneering   ·   groundbreaking   ·   trailblazing   ·   revolutionary   ·   rare   ·   unique   ·   singular   ·   unprecedented   ·   uncommon   ·   experimental   ·   untested   ·   untried   ·   unknown   ·   surprising   ·   strange   ·   exotic   ·   out of the ordinary  ·   newfangled   ·   left-field   ·   new-fashioned   ·   neoteric
    antonyms:

squiggy
5  squiggy    3 months ago

By Christmas, all seven North Koreans will head south.