╌>

New York City to close schools; bars, restaurants around U.S. ordered closed over coronavirus

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  27 comments

By:    Ben Kesslen

New York City to close schools; bars, restaurants around U.S. ordered closed over coronavirus
Gov. Andrew Cuomo ordered schools closed in New York City as Ohio and Illinois ordered all bars and restaurants in the states to shut down service.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

New York City announced Sunday that it will close public schools Monday and states and cities are ordering bars and restaurants to close to encourage social distancing to try to stem the outbreak of the coronavirus as U.S. cases   climbed well past 3,000 .

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Sunday evening that Westchester, Nassau, Suffolk and New York City schools will close this week. Cuomo also said in a statement that New York City must put a plan in place to make sure that children who rely on school meals will still get fed and that parents, especially health care workers and first responders, will be provided child care.

In a news conference Sunday, Mayor Bill de Blasio said schools will close Monday and remain closed at least until April 20. The mayor said there is a chance schools could remain closed for the rest of the school year.

The announcement came after widespread calls to close the schools and protests from   "furious" teachers who thought it was irresponsible to keep schools open .

"It is time to take more dramatic measures," the mayor said, adding that he knows "the full cost of shutting our schools."

The decision came on a day when states and cities across the country took more dramatic measures to contain the coronavirus.

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine announced Sunday that he has ordered all bars and restaurants in the state to shut down service beginning at 9 p.m.

"How long will this order be in effect? We don't, frankly, know," DeWine told reporters Sunday. "It will be in effect for as long as it needs to."

DeWine said carryout and delivery services were not included in the order, and he said his administration is working to help small businesses that will inevitably suffer.

Ohio's decision came as other states are putting similar protocols in place. On Sunday, Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker ordered bars and restaurants in the state to close from Monday to March 30.   On CNN on Sunday,   Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said he plans to enact a similar policy.

Boston Mayor Marty Walsh ordered bars, restaurants and clubs to cut their capacities in half by removing tables and chairs to encourage social distancing, said beer gardens cannot open until the crisis passes, and said lines should not form outside,   according to NBC Boston.   He also loosened rules applying to takeout.

"We are basically allowing every single establishment that serves food in the city of Boston to serve takeout," Walsh said.

Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser also   announced a series of protocols   that restaurants and bars must follow, including limiting service to tables of six peoples or fewer, ensuring that patrons are seated at least 6 feet apart at tables and booths and ordering nightclubs and multipurpose facilities to suspend operations.

New York City is not closing bars and restaurants, but it is cracking down on establishments that violate its earlier rule of keeping occupancy at half of capacity. Authorities will enforce penalties on the half-capacity rule, de Blasio said.

The efforts by states and cities are meant to force more people to participate in social distancing, one of the best ways to slow the spread of a virus and minimize its effects on the most   vulnerable populations .

"The best tool we have right now in this response is to give individuals breathing room from one another," Jason Schwartz, an assistant professor of health policy at the Yale School of Public Health,   previously told NBC News . "This is really critical."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

Breaking news: CDC recommends no gatherings of 50+ people for the next 8 weeks

For fun watch "Contagion" on Apple. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    4 years ago

Like me..... I'm sort of stuck in a Connecticut hotel for two weeks if the plant decides to throttle back production and send non-production related personnel to work from home.  I may be driving back to the Chicago area if that happens.

I've spent more time on Newstalkers the last two days then I have over the last three months.  I've read my Kindle, binge watched the Matrix series on the tube, and Westworld on Netflix.  

Worse yet...… This Kansas boy from Lawrence was all stoked up to watch March Madness wire to wire.  (We moved back from Germany for this.....?)

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.1    4 years ago
This Kansas boy from Lawrence was all stoked up to watch March Madness wire to wire.

No worries.  

Your Jayhawks didn't have a chance against my Spartans anyway.   jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

Sparty on!

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.1.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.1    4 years ago

It just sucks without March Madness.....

Rock-Chalk- Jayhawk baby!

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1.4  Snuffy  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.1    4 years ago

Here's a new bracket form for ya...   this might help?                jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Sparty On  replied to  Snuffy @1.1.4    4 years ago

Oh man .... BBQ wins that bracket hands down.

No doubt about it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

The schools here have been closed for the past two months with no end in sight.  Lessons are being taught online.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
5  lady in black    4 years ago

There are now 7 confirmed cases here in Erie County. 

A woman in her 30s who recently traveled out of state.

A man in his 30s who recently traveled to Westchester County.

A woman in her 20s who recently traveled to Italy.

A male in his 30s, with recent travel from New York City

A female in her 30s, with recent travel out of state

A female in her 20s, with recent travel from New York City

A male in his 40s, with recent travel out of state

All Schools are shut down until April 20th.

My nephew who is in the Peace Corp in Ecuador informed us the the Peace Corp. is shutting down and sending everyone home.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1  Kavika   replied to  lady in black @5    4 years ago

In the latest update two emergency room doctors have contacted coronavirus and both are in critical condition. One is in his 40's the other in his 70's. One is Washington state and the other in NJ.

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1.1  evilone  replied to  Kavika @5.1    4 years ago

MN went from 14 confirmed cases on Friday to 35 by Sunday afternoon.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  evilone @5.1.1    4 years ago

Arkansas went from 6 on Friday to 16 this morning. We're pretty rural so we may not get a lot of cases

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
7  Just Jim NC TttH    4 years ago

So now there will be a run on liquor stores......................

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.2  Sparty On  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @7    4 years ago

I think this virus deal is all a set up by a little known retail business cabal ........ the Hand Sanitizer/Toilet Paper/Liquor/Potato cabal ....... those bastards!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.2.1  MrFrost  replied to  Sparty On @7.2    4 years ago
Toilet Paper

No one wants to die with a dirty ass. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.2.3  Sparty On  replied to  MrFrost @7.2.1    4 years ago

Tell that to people who sized the "John Wayne" TP in our field rations.

That shit was pretty much useless for anything but the big chunks ...... pun intended ......

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
7.2.5  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Sparty On @7.2.3    4 years ago

In survival school they recommended the "Big shiny leaves.", that or something with fur that you ate two days before.  

Someone asked about going down in the desert...… The instructor came back with..... "Where do you think the term....."Go pound sand!" came from?"

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.2.6  Sparty On  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @7.2.5    4 years ago

Lol, yeah .... bright shiny leaves.   Like wiping your ass with wax paper ...... done it and its not pretty trust me .....