╌>

Sick of this Godless party? Atheist ad during Dem debate boasts ‘I’m not afraid of burning in hell’

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  heartland-american  •  4 years ago  •  123 comments

By:   Tom Tillison

Sick of this Godless party? Atheist ad during Dem debate boasts ‘I’m not afraid of burning in hell’
Reagan mocks Christians, saying he is “not afraid of burning in hell,” as he seeks donations for the Freedom From Religion Foundation — the atheist group has made a name for itself challenging issues like Bibles in schools or crosses on public grounds.

This is sad that a major political party would take an ad from one saying they are not afraid of burning in hell.  A former president’s son no less.  The party booed God 8 years ago and has become overtly hostile to one of its former voting blocs.  

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Turning Point USA founder Charlie Kirk responded to an ad featuring Ron Reagan, the son of President Ronald Reagan, advocating for an atheist group, that first aired during the Democratic Party October debate on CNN.

In effect, Reagan mocks Christians, saying he is “not afraid of burning in hell,” as he seeks donations for the Freedom From Religion Foundation — the atheist group has made a name for itself challenging issues like Bibles in schools or crosses on public grounds.

That the ad aired during a Democratic debate being par for the course, as far as Kirk is concerned. And though he tweeted about the ad back in October, Kirk shared the tweet on Sunday night for a second time as CNN hosted another debate for the party.

“This is the left,” he tweeted. “They booed God at their convention They want to defund churches that don’t support progressive views And this is the ad that gets the prime spot at the debate— ‘I’m not afraid of burning in hell.'”

“RT if you’re sick of this Godless party,” Kirk added, including the 30-second ad in his tweet.  “Hi, I’m Ron Reagan, an unabashed atheist, and I’m alarmed by the intrusion of religion into our secular government,” Reagan says in the ad. “That’s why I’m asking you to support the Freedom From Religion Foundation, the nation’s largest and most effective association of atheists and agnostics, working to keep state and church separate, just like our Founding Fathers intended.”

“Please support the Freedom From Religion Foundation,” he concludes. “Ron Reagan, lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell.”

The reference to God being booed was from the 2012 Democratic convention, which was held in Charlotte, N.C. The party was looking to reinstate platform language that recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, and included the words “God-given” in a passage on employment.

As for the reactions, aside from thinking the President Reagan must be rolling over in his grave, there was also a notion to pray for his son, who is clearly lost in this world.

Here’s a quick sampling of responses from Twitter:

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    4 years ago
ODX2AmEZ_bigger.jpg
 · 21h

This is the left

They booed God at their convention

They want to defund churches that don't support progressive views

And this is the ad that gets the prime spot at the debate—"I'm not afraid of burning in hell"

RT if you're sick of this Godless party

pU97p7IqeVZF4iPQ?format=jpg&name=small
248 people are talking about this

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    4 years ago

The picture above did not come with the seeded article.  The pic is of the anti thesis of the seeded article. Might as well have placed a drawing of the devil there.  

Eat The Press Do Not Read It
Professor Guide
1.2  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    4 years ago

What are you smokin'? That is some WHACKED out SHAT? BTW:  I just got off the telepathic phone with GOD, and she said, "I never promised you a Rose Garden."

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.2.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @1.2    4 years ago
What are you smokin'? That is some WHACKED out SHAT? BTW:  I just got off the telepathic phone with GOD, and she said, "I never promised you a Rose Garden."

Amen!

epistte
Junior Guide
1.3  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    4 years ago

I love the Ron Regan advert and I'm a supporter of the FFRF. It used to play occasionally during Rachel Maddow.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.3.1  Raven Wing  replied to  epistte @1.3    4 years ago

epistte...great to see you here with us again. You have been sorely missed. Welcome back! jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.3.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  epistte @1.3    4 years ago

So glad to have you back! jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

charger 383
Professor Silent
1.3.3  charger 383  replied to  epistte @1.3    4 years ago

happy to have you back

Ender
Professor Principal
1.3.4  Ender  replied to  epistte @1.3    4 years ago

I agree with the others. Happy to see ya !

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.3.5  Gordy327  replied to  epistte @1.3    4 years ago

EPISTTE!!!!! jrSmiley_43_smiley_image.gif

Welcome back. Now, never leave us again! jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2  seeder  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

In effect, Reagan mocks Christians, saying he is “not afraid of burning in hell,” as he seeks donations for the Freedom From Religion Foundation — the atheist group has made a name for itself challenging issues like Bibles in schools or crosses on public grounds.

That the ad aired during a Democratic debate being par for the course, as far as Kirk is concerned. And though he tweeted about the ad back in October, Kirk shared the tweet on Sunday night for a second time as CNN hosted another debate for the party.

“This is the left,” he tweeted. “They booed God at their convention They want to defund churches that don’t support progressive views And this is the ad that gets the prime spot at the debate— ‘I’m not afraid of burning in hell.'” 

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2    4 years ago

religious nuts have hobbled our country for almost 250 years. it's payback time.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @2.1    4 years ago

Yes we have such a terrible country we share and it’s all the Christians fault.  Not!  Actually we live in an exceptional American nation the best nation ever on this world in its history.  It is a city on a hill, a light shining out upon the nation’s of the earth 🌎.   A nation founded by divine providence 

Professor Guide
2.2  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2    4 years ago

There is a reason the Founding Father inserted a provision in the Constitution about RELIGION. They were aware of how violent followers become when confronted with someone of another faith.

So-called "Christians", and/or adherents to other religions have been slaughtering each other for 2000 years.

Did Jesus instruct his followers to Kill Non-Believers?

Did HE preach for Money?

Did Jesus tell his followers to overthrow Herod?

Did Jesus instruct them to "condemn, then, turn away the poor?"

Why do Evangelicals?

These Born Up Side Down & Backwards Primitives promote hate, gun possession, and extols their members to believe that GOD appointed The Con Man, Trump, president?

Isn't that a little suspect?

I spoke to GOD, this a.m., and SHE told me, in no uncertain words, that "GOD did not appoint Trump to anything. GOD DOES GOOD!"

She, added, before mentioning that this was a "collect call, that Trump, "must be playing for the other team."256

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.3  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2    4 years ago

The FFRF is a great American institution which respects the separation of church and state. Unlike some in theistic circles.

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    4 years ago

It was Nancy Reagan who coined the term, "Wingnuts", to describe the evangelical wing of the gop whom both she and Mr Reagan considered to be extreme, ignorant and intolerant. The type of people who would gladly condemn even them to eternity in Hell if they knew about Nancy's abortions...plural.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1  Krishna  replied to  JBB @3    4 years ago
It was Nancy Reagan who coined the term, "Wingnuts", to describe the evangelical wing of the gop whom both she and Mr Reagan considered to be extreme, ignorant and intolerant. The type of people who would gladly condemn even them to eternity in Hell if they knew about Nancy's abortions...plural.

Mest of the extremist religious nutcases on the right worship Ronald and Nancy as if they were some sort of dieties.. Which strikes me as a bit inconsistent-- after all Nancy Reagan regularly consulted an Astrologer! (Oh-- the horror!)

Joan Ceciel Quigley  (April 10, 1927 – October 23, 2014), of  San Francisco California , was an  astrologer  best known for her astrological advice to the  Reagan White House  in the 1980s. 

Joan Quigley discussed her relationship with Nancy Reagan in a book, titled   What Does Joan Say? . Quigley wrote, "Not since the days of the   Roman emperors , and never in the history of the   United States   presidency, has an astrologer played such a significant role in the nation's affairs of State."

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.1    4 years ago
after all Nancy Reagan regularly consulted an Astrologer! (Oh-- the horror!)

More 

Joan Quigley discussed her relationship with Nancy Reagan in a book, titled  What Does Joan Say? . Quigley wrote, "Not since the days of the  Roman emperors , and never in the history of the  United States  presidency, has an astrologer played such a significant role in the nation's affairs of State."

In 1988, Regan published his memoir   For the Record: From Wall Street to Washington , revealing that Nancy Reagan had consulted with Quigley, and previously with astrologer   Jeane Dixon . Regan wrote:

Virtually every major move and decision the Reagans made during my time as White House Chief of Staff was cleared in advance with a woman in San Francisco [Quigley] who drew up horoscopes to make certain that the planets were in a favorable alignment for the enterprise. [3] [1]

OMG!!! 

ANGELS AND MINISTERS OF GRACE DEFEND US!

:

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    4 years ago

What has the Democratic Party ever said that rebukes God?  I'm pretty sure a large percentage of Democrats are Christians or Jews. 

Why is this crap polluting this forum? 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.1  bbl-1  replied to  JohnRussell @4    4 years ago

Because the right wing has nothing else to run on.  This is why----this----is on this forum.  You know, "Lie speech is free speech," right?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  bbl-1 @4.1    4 years ago

Are you denying that the ad took place or that the 2012 democrat convention didn’t boo as shown?  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.1    4 years ago

who the fock cares? 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  bbl-1  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.1    4 years ago

The ad is accurate.  And yes it took place.  I've seen it before.  Religion is oppressive, costly and has been transformed into a political weapon used to instill fear, division and ignorance.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.4  Krishna  replied to  bbl-1 @4.1    4 years ago
Because the right wing has nothing else to run on.

Sure they do-- look at Trump's record on... the economy!

(Hehehe)

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.5  Krishna  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.1    4 years ago
Are you denying that the ad took place or that the 2012 democrat convention didn’t boo as shown?

And, speaking of feeble-minded efforts at derailling this conversation--- what about what happened when Calvin Coolidge was nominated? Or-- if we really want to change the subject* -- how about the nomination of Thomas Jefferson?. 

*if we really want to change the subject: this is a common tactic used by people on social media sites when they know they are losing an argument!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.6  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.2    4 years ago

You do or you wouldn’t have replied here.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @4    4 years ago
I'm pretty sure a large percentage of Democrats are Christians or Jews. 

Of course they are. But one small group of very socially conservative, political, and religious people has managed to spread the idea that they love God better than people who disagree with them. It's nonsense, of course. Unfortunately, I think people in both parties have accepted it in their own way. Too many people on the political left end up thinking that because there are religious nuts on the right, anyone motivated by belief must be a right wing nut. Thus, they are shy about showing their own faith.

But you can be a perfectly fine religious liberal. That's why I do think it's a shame when the Democratic Party seems to run away from that idea. They have been kind of bullied into it and it's not necessary.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
4.2.1  Larry Hampton  replied to  Tacos! @4.2    4 years ago

But you can be a perfectly fine religious liberal. That's why I do think it's a shame when the Democratic Party seems to run away from that idea. They have been kind of bullied into it and it's not necessary.

I have to agree. 
I do think it’s more though than fear of being labeled as unaccepting, or being shy. Just as stated already, the more liberal leaning tend to be more diverse, and not as coalesced or focused in tight religious circles. That is reflected politically. Liberals have more voices, while conservatives have fewer, louder ones. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @4    4 years ago

the 2012 Charlotte democrat convention where they booed God and Israel when the chair imposed God given and Israel 🇮🇱 into the platform over the objections of the majority of delegates.  That scene is in the seeded article 

Professor Guide
4.4  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  JohnRussell @4    4 years ago

Democrats are a multi-lingual, mutli-racial, multi-educated collection of people who care about their planet, the rivers and the air. Care about each other and do not put MONEY, wealth and power above all else.

People are more than their party affiliation. They are more than their faith. Democrats are inclusive, Calcified Conservative Republicans are not.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.4.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @4.4    4 years ago

It is the GOP that is the big tent party.   

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.4.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.4.1    4 years ago

It seems that to be accepted by some members of the GOP, one must share (or pretend to share) the irrational fears of some Christians.  That doesn't sound very big-tent to me.  In fact, it sounds like exclusion on a very irrational basis.

Articles like this do you no good with conservative nonbelievers.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
5  Larry Hampton    4 years ago

I'm not afraid of burning in hell either. Are you?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Larry Hampton @5    4 years ago

No Human being who is living according to the best light shown them by the Holy Spirit in their lives has reason to fear burning in hell.  

Professor Guide
5.2  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  Larry Hampton @5    4 years ago

My understanding is that there is no Hell, other than the one created by zealots on Earth that are driven to force everyone one else to think, feel, and believe as they do.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.3  Gordy327  replied to  Larry Hampton @5    4 years ago

Why would anyone be? It's imaginary. Hell is a religious fable meant to frighten gullible or weak minded individuals into (religious) obedience. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Larry Hampton @5    4 years ago
I'm not afraid of burning in hell either. 

That would mean that I've fallen for the myth of a heaven and hell. Of which I didn't.  The whole idea of heaven and hell is almost laughable. 

Nothing like using treats to force submission.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.5  cjcold  replied to  Larry Hampton @5    4 years ago

Much more afraid of a burning planet due to anthropogenic global warming.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6  TᵢG    4 years ago
This is sad that a major political party would take an ad from one saying they are not afraid of burning in hell. 

Not being afraid of burning in Hell seems to be a rational position.

Hell is an ancient scare tactic that evolved from early Christianity and eventually took on the fire and brimstone characterization from Dante's 'The Divine Comedy' and further enhanced by Botticelli in his map of Hell.

Sandro_Botticelli_-_La_Carte_de_l%27Enfer.jpg

botticelli-punishment-of-the-panderers-seducers-and-sycophants.jpg

botticelli-hell-painting-32.jpg

Many Christians hold that Hell is simply figurative and is essentially separation from God; not literally burning in torture for all of eternity.   Many Christians thus do not fear burning in Hell.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @6    4 years ago

The separation from God is eternal.  The burning is brief lasting until body and soul are forever and eternally consumed.  Satan and his angels will burn the longest for their sins but will be consumed as well. The new world will be recreated upon the ashes of the lost.  

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
6.1.1  Larry Hampton  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1    4 years ago

Oh goodie! Does Frodo return to the Shire too?!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1    4 years ago

How, precisely, do you know this?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.4  TᵢG  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @6.1.2    4 years ago

Is this a serious question?   If so, this is from J. R. R. Tolkien's 'The Lord of the Rings' and 'The Hobbit'.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.5  Krishna  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1    4 years ago

[deleted]

Professor Guide
6.1.6  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1    4 years ago

Upon what authority do you propagate these sadistic concepts that you wish to forced others to accept based on your fears?

Do you dare to speak for GOD?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.7  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.3    4 years ago

The Bible says so.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.8  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.7    4 years ago

You think your reading of the Bible is superior to others who hold beliefs based on the Bible?    How do you know that you are reading the Bible properly?   How do you know that your highly transcribed English Bible even has the correct words and that those words are indeed divine?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.10  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.7    4 years ago

Circular reasoning.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.1.11  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1    4 years ago
Satan and his angels

These are a product of the christians threatening others into submission by playing on the fear of what happens after death.  

In the book of Isiah god stated "I form the light and create the darkness.  I make peace and create evil.  I the lord do all these things."  So much for that all loving and all forgiving god.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2  Krishna  replied to  TᵢG @6    4 years ago
Hell is an ancient scare tactic that evolved from early Christianity

Muslims also believe that people burn in Hell for their sins (not surprising as Islam was descended from Christianity):

Mohammed, along with Buraq and Gabriel, visit Hell, and see a demon punishing "shameless women" who had exposed their hair to strangers. For this crime of inciting lust in men, the women are strung up by their hair and burned for eternity. Persian, 15th century.

Contrary to popular belief amongst the "politically correct" in the West, as in most religions Muslims have been making pictures of The Prophet Muhammed (Peace Be Upon Him) for centuries.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.1  TᵢG  replied to  Krishna @6.2    4 years ago
Muslims also believe that people burn in Hell for their sins (not surprising as Islam was descended from Christianity):

True.   Note that in Islam (as in Christianity) the beliefs on Hell vary.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.2.2  Gordy327  replied to  Krishna @6.2    4 years ago

I might be mistaken, but in Islam, one only endures hell for a time commensurate with their sins. Kind of like a theistic jail term. Afterwards,  they are allowed to enter heaven. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.3  TᵢG  replied to  Gordy327 @6.2.2    4 years ago

That is one of the beliefs.   Like Christianity, Islam has its various sects and contradictory beliefs.    As one would expect.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.2.4  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.3    4 years ago

the extremists in all 3 abrahamic cults are peas in a pod

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.5  TᵢG  replied to  devangelical @6.2.4    4 years ago

In that they are extremists.   But they have very different views.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.2.6  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.3    4 years ago

And yet, they probably all think their views and interpretations are the correct ones.sound familiar? 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.7  TᵢG  replied to  Gordy327 @6.2.6    4 years ago

One of the critical observations that nobody ever seems able to explain.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2.8  Krishna  replied to  Gordy327 @6.2.6    4 years ago
And yet, they probably all think their views and interpretations are the correct ones.sound familiar?

Actually, in my experience, the same is true of some of the more "Fundamentalist" type Atheists as well!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.2.9  Gordy327  replied to  Krishna @6.2.8    4 years ago

Such limited viewpoints tend to be intellectually dishonest and possibly logically indefensible. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.10  TᵢG  replied to  Krishna @6.2.8    4 years ago

How do you define 'fundamentalist atheist'?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7  bbl-1    4 years ago

Pshaw.  God or gawd is not the issue.  The issues are the teachings of Jesus.  And the GOP, TGOP, DJTGOP and conservatism in general, rejects every word from Jesus by their actions and governance.

"Burning in Hell?"  The reach of The Deceiver is long.  His Shadow is longer.

Reagan is correct.  His actions, thoughts and demeanor guarantees 'Hell' is not a prospect for him.  Baker, White, Falwell, Graham and others on the other hand are----------prospects.

devangelical
Professor Principal
8  devangelical    4 years ago

freedom from religion is an original American concept that predated the US Constitution and most likely  inspired the 1st amendment. the reluctance of others not able to grasp that concept probably inspired the 2nd.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @8    4 years ago

There is no such thing as freedom from religion.  There is a freedom to choose to have no religion at all.  No one has a freedom to avoid any and all possible exposure to any position or belief that they don’t like.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1.1  Krishna  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1    4 years ago
There is no such thing as freedom from religion.  There is a freedom to choose to have no religion at all.  No one has a freedom to avoid any and all possible exposure to any position or belief that they don’t like.

You're splitting hairs. Its all really just a question of Semantics (and I myself am notoriously anti-Semantic!)

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Krishna @8.1.1    4 years ago

It’s more than that.  I’m fine with freedom of religion including the right to choose none at all.  

Professor Guide
8.1.3  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1    4 years ago

You speak with authority, Donald J. Trump Fan # 1. Who giveth you that authority, Trump, or, your version of GOD. Or, are they one and the insane?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1    4 years ago
There is no such thing as freedom from religion.

Does that mean I have to accept you coming to my door and attempting to preach at me?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1.5  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.4    4 years ago

No.  A no soliciting sign will cover that.  Things such as internet, radio, and tv though are different as nothing can stop you from coming across that as you surf those platforms and there’s nothing to prevent you from seeing or hearing messages you disagree with as you move about from place to place in pubic.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1.5    4 years ago

If it comes on TV or radio, I can turn it off. I sneer at billboards that are stupid.

What I want is for people like you to stop insisting that our constitution gives you the right to determine everybody's moral choices.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1.7  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.6    4 years ago

We have the right to advocate for any set of moral beliefs or values in the public domain. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1.7    4 years ago

Your rights only extend to the tip of my nose

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1.9  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1    4 years ago

Demonstrably false. Freedom of religion is also freedom from religion. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
8.1.10  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1    4 years ago
There is a freedom to choose to have no religion at all.

That's freedom from religion.  

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.1.12  cjcold  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1.5    4 years ago

The only contact I ever have with far right wing religious fascism is you.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @8    4 years ago

Professor Guide
8.2.1  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.2    4 years ago

They were opposing the concept (an extremely inflammatory one) of  using one religion exclusively to base government decisions upon.

We are not returning to the Medieval Ages, where the Church was the most Powerful and Riches institutions in the land.

Religion has a place in one's life for many, but, it has no right to force others to believe in someone else's version of GOD!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.2.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @8.2.1    4 years ago

There was nothing inflammatory about the platform as amended. Were the founding fathers being inflammatory when they stated that we have God given rights that man has no place to take away from us?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @8.2.1    4 years ago
Religion has a place in one's life for many, but, it has no right to force others to believe in someone else's version of GOD!

Has anyone forced you to believe in God?

Or are you just MASSIVELY overreacting to the mere mention of religion?

lady in black
Professor Quiet
10  lady in black    4 years ago

For cryin' out loud, once again, NOT all in America believe in your god or any god.....get over it already.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
11  Split Personality    4 years ago

Nice to see that Ron Reagan Jr.,

while not endorsing the Democratic Party

nor his message being endorsed by the Democratic Party,

is still getting some mileage out of a seven year old fund raising ad that is banned from ABC, CBS, NBC and the Discovery Science networks since 2014. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
11.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Split Personality @11    4 years ago
T24Pfghz_bigger.jpg

Ultimately, this is what politics boils down to. It’s about two very different views on religion and family values in our country. I don’t think policies really matter to most people. If you’re a Christian that believes in the traditional family values, you will vote Republican.

Professor Guide
11.1.1  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  XXJefferson51 @11.1    4 years ago

Trump, and the GOP, would like folks to believe that they are "Christ Like, but, in my view, few are. Those who wear their religion on their sleeves, pray in public to demonstrate to others there faith, are frauds.

Perhaps, that is why Evangelicals Worshiping the ENDS OF TIME, are so enamored with the Devil's Con Man, Donald J. Trump that brags about grabbing women by their private parts and kissing them without their permission.

Is that the Family Values you speak of?  Or is it the "Locking Up of Kids In Cages?"

Or, is it the constant, pathological lying of our illegally installed POTUS?

Is it Trump three wives, two divorces, and hundred of marital affairs that256 defines one as a advocate of "Family Values?"

The Christian God despises the Hypocrite above the murderer!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
11.1.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @11.1.1    4 years ago

How was Trumps election illegal?  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  XXJefferson51 @11.1.2    4 years ago
How was Trumps election illegal?  

it was not.

Someone is flinging poo at walls, hoping beyond hope that Something actually sticks.

About as effective as screaming at the sky or declaring that he isn't their President.

Absolutely ridiculous, and any adult engaging in such practices should be deeply ashamed of themselves.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
11.2  bbl-1  replied to  Split Personality @11    4 years ago

I believe the ban has been removed---shortly after the Trump slimed into the WH and 'certain christians' were claiming the Trump was sent by gawd.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
11.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  bbl-1 @11.2    4 years ago

According to their own ( ffrf ) news release, ABC once again refused to air the ad during the Sept 12 Dem debate.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
11.2.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Split Personality @11.2.1    4 years ago

The one thing liberal biased ABC got right.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
11.2.3  bbl-1  replied to  Split Personality @11.2.1    4 years ago

Refusing to air an ad and banning an ad is not the same thing.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
11.2.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  bbl-1 @11.2.3    4 years ago

For that network it has the same effect.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.3  Krishna  replied to  Split Personality @11    4 years ago
ice to see that Ron Reagan Jr.,

while not endorsing the Democratic Party

nor his message being endorsed by the Democratic Party,

is still getting some mileage out of a seven year old fund raising ad that is banned from ABC, CBS, NBC and the Discovery Science networks since 2014. 

One of my favourite quotes:

I know of two things that are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity. And I'm not entirely sure about  the former...

Gordy327
Professor Expert
11.3.1  Gordy327  replied to  Krishna @11.3    4 years ago

Albert Einstein, if I am correct.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
12  MrFrost    4 years ago

His views on religion are just as valid as anyone else's. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
13  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

Wow, what a dramatic overreaction to somebody not sharing one's religious paranoia.

One might almost think the author (and perhaps those who agree with him) is jealous of those of us who aren't afraid of their chosen bogeyman.

It's ok, Freddy Kruger isn't going to kill you in your dreams.  Samara isn't going to climb out of your television.  And Satan isn't hiding under your bed, waiting to grab that one uncovered foot and use it to drag you to Hell.

Krishna
Professor Expert
13.1  Krishna  replied to  sandy-2021492 @13    4 years ago
And Satan isn't hiding under your bed, waiting to grab that one uncovered foot and use it to drag you to Hell.

Are you sure? (Do you have a link for that?)

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
13.1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Krishna @13.1    4 years ago

Satan knows he’s on borrowed time and he is trying to take as many of us down with him as he can. Raging like a dragon seeking whom he may devour.

Professor Guide
13.1.2  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  XXJefferson51 @13.1.1    4 years ago

You speak, of course, of Trump, No?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
13.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Krishna @13.1    4 years ago

My totally subjective personal experience, which nobody is allowed to question.

devangelical
Professor Principal
13.1.4  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @13.1.1    4 years ago
Satan knows he’s on borrowed time and he is trying to take as many of us down with him as he can.

his time is up in november and most of his thumper sycophants will follow 6 months later

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
13.1.5  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @13.1.2    4 years ago

No.  Trump is carrying out Gods will for America at this point in time.  Just like previous Presidents have done.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
13.1.6  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  sandy-2021492 @13.1.3    4 years ago

That is for certain....

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.1.7  JohnRussell  replied to  XXJefferson51 @13.1.5    4 years ago

What nonsense. Using that logic, God wanted Obama to be president for 8 years. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @13.1.2    4 years ago
You speak, of course, of Trump, No?

Did YOU see "Trump" in there somewhere, or are you just incapable of putting a single sentence together without including him?

And people claim there is no such thing as TDS.

Hummph!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
13.1.9  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @13.1.2    4 years ago

No, I speak of secular progressives 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
13.1.10  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @13.1.7    4 years ago

I believe He for His reasons did just that.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.1.11  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @13.1.7    4 years ago

A number of people believe that God appoints all leaders and has done so for all of time.   Yet another biblical 'interpretation'.

The rationale is that God is perfect and even though we may not see how these leaders fit into God's plan, He most definitely does.

So Hitler, Stalin, Chairman Mao, etc. were all part of God's plan.

This is yet another master stroke of religion.   Get people to believe that no matter how bad things are, it is all part of God's plan (which is of course perfect) and one should simply accept that we are not smart enough to understand it.   Get people to buy that kind of reasoning, and you can get them to believe anything.

Professor Guide
13.2  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  sandy-2021492 @13    4 years ago

You Go, Girl! Lay down that scat. Great job of slap back! Excellent rant! The Fury of Your Poet is stunningly clairvoyant.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.3  Texan1211  replied to  sandy-2021492 @13    4 years ago
One might almost think the author (and perhaps those who agree with him) is jealous of those of us who aren't afraid of their chosen bogeyman.

Why on earth would any rational person believe that crap? Why would I be jealous of a non-believer? Why do you choose to call what I consider God to be a bogeyman? What specifically has God ever done to you to earn that ridiculous claim?

And who here has once suggested that you need to be afraid of God?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
13.3.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Texan1211 @13.3    4 years ago
Why do you choose to call what I consider God to be a bogeyman? What specifically has God ever done to you to earn that ridiculous claim?

To be clear, I don't consider him to either be a bogeyman, or to have done anything.  Kinda goes with not being convinced that he's real, if one bothers to think logically.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.3.2  Texan1211  replied to  sandy-2021492 @13.3.1    4 years ago
To be clear, I don't consider him to either be a bogeyman, or to have done anything.  

Not exactly what you stated earlier:

Logically, one who doesn't think God is a bogeyman doesn't use that exact term to describe him.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
13.3.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Texan1211 @13.3.2    4 years ago

They're thes one afraid of him (like they would be the bogeyman), not me.  I'm no more scared of their (pay attention to that very important word, please), than I am of Freddy Kruger, so he's not a bogeyman to me.  He's just a character in a book.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.3.4  Texan1211  replied to  sandy-2021492 @13.3.3    4 years ago
They're thes one afraid of him (like they would be the bogeyman), not me.

That is ridiculous. Most religious people do not fear God. You used the term "bogeyman" to disparage what others believe, and for no other reason.

How very, very tolerant of you.

I'm no more scared of their (pay attention to that very important word, please), than I am of Freddy Kruger, so he's not a bogeyman to me.  He's just a character in a book.

Does it validate your opinion when you disparage what others may believe?

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, and more power to you.

Funny thing is, I am secure enough in my own beliefs that I have no need to tear others down to  make myself feel better.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
13.3.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Texan1211 @13.3.4    4 years ago

Know what's funny?  The author, and those who agree with him, are angry at Ron Reagan for flat-out saying he's not afraid of burning in Hell, and they're using "godless" as a pejorative.  They're quite willing to disparage a man for his beliefs (or lack thereof).

But some of them really seem unable to take having their beliefs disparaged.

Beliefs aren't immune to criticism.

If you (generic "you") can't take it, don't dish it out.

Jesus hated hypocrisy.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.3.6  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @13.3.4    4 years ago
Most religious people do not fear God.

Do Muslims fear Allah?    Yes!  ( Look it up Texan. )

I would agree that most Christians do not fear God in the sense that they walk around cowering in fear.   But fear of God (i.e. fear of the wrath of God) is most definitely taught.   The fear of eternal punishment, etc. is most definitely taught.   And many Christians do indeed expect that disobeying God will result in punishment.    

Fear, in its most potent form, is at the epicenter of the Abrahamic religions.   It has softened in Judaism and Christianity over the years with euphemistic language, but the history is undeniable.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.3.7  Texan1211  replied to  sandy-2021492 @13.3.5    4 years ago

There is no need to justify what you wrote to me.

I don't care for justifications usually anyways, and this is an example of why.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
13.3.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @13.3.6    4 years ago

Many politicians pander to their voters by describing themselves as "God-fearing".  I think we can guess why that is.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
13.3.9  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @13.3.6    4 years ago

Over and over in the Bible we are exhorted to fear God, to have the fear of the Lord, to live in godly fear. But why should we fear God? Isn’t God love? Yet, 1 John 4:18 clearly tells us that: “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.” 

How can we believe that God loves us, and at the same time, that we should fear Him?

Reverence and awe for God

Godly fear isn’t the same as fear of a tyrant, or a dictator. We don’t need to fear His anger, unless we fear punishment due to a bad conscience and impenitent heart because of sin. (Romans 2:5-9)

To fear God is absolute reverence and awe for an Almighty God, the Creator of all things. In the Bible we get a few glimpses into heaven, and we see the heavenly creatures worship Him around His throne continually, crying out “Holy, holy, holy!” and covering their faces. This Almighty God has called me by name to serve Him, and He is working in me so that I can be saved to be with Him for eternity. This should cause an inexpressible love and gratitude and reverence to grow and increase in my heart!

This causes us to fear to sin against Him, because we want nothing else in this world than to be pleasing to Him, and to bring honor to His name. We fear to cause Him sorrow or grief, knowing how incredibly wretched sin is, how much God hates it, and how much it hurts Him when we sin.

“And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in His ways and to love Him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to keep the commandments of the Lord and His statutes which I command you today for your good?” Deuteronomy 10:12-13.

“The fear of the Lord is to hate evil; pride and arrogance and the evil way and the perverse mouth I hate.” Proverbs 8:13.....

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.3.10  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @13.3.9    4 years ago

In religion one can always count on finding contradictions.   With so many man-made religions it is impossible to keep things straight.   So you offer one viewpoint and here is another :

I often hear people explain the fear of the Lord as a mere respect or reverence. But the Bible uses the word   fear   at least 300 times in reference to God, so we make a mistake when we downplay it. The subject becomes even more mysterious when we read something like   1 John 4:18   that says that "perfect love expels all fear." So how do we marry this dichotomy? How can we fear God while he expels all fear?

Scripture is full of examples of how fearing God is a positive rather than a negative thing. For example in   Genesis 42:18 , Joseph wins his brothers' trust when he declares he is a God-fearing man. It was because the midwives feared God that they obeyed him instead of the authorities by sparing the Hebrew babies ( Exodus 1:17 ). Pharaoh brought disaster on his nation because he did not fear God ( Exodus 9:29-31 ). Moses chose leaders to help him on the basis that they feared God and wouldn't take bribes ( Exodus 18:21 ) and told the Hebrews that God met with them in a terrifying display of his power so that they wouldn't sin ( Exodus 20:20 ). The Mosaic Law cites fear of God as a reason to treat the disabled and elderly well ( Leviticus 19:14 ,   32 ). And lest you think this is only an Old Testament idea, note that Jesus states this stronger than anyone when he says, "Don't be afraid of those who want to kill your body; they cannot touch your soul. Fear only God, who can destroy both soul and body in hell" ( Matthew 10:28 ). And Paul says to work toward complete holiness because we fear God ( 2 Corinthians 7:1 ).

So it's clear from these passages, that fearing God is good because it saves us from caving into our own sinful nature. That's why hearing someone is God-fearing actually makes us trust that person more. If they fear God, they are more likely to keep their word and treat others with kindness. In fact,   Romans 3 , a classic chapter on sin, says that our chief sin is that we "have no fear of God at all" ( Romans 3:18 ).

So how does fear of God, who is perfect love, take away fear? William D. Eisenhower puts it this way in his article 'Fearing God" in   Christianity Today :
Unfortunately, many of us presume that the world is the ultimate threat and that God's function is to offset it. How different this is from the biblical position that God is far scarier than the world …. When we assume that the world is the ultimate threat, we give it unwarranted power, for in truth, the world's threats are temporary. When we expect God to balance the stress of the world, we reduce him to the world's equal …. As I walk with the Lord, I discover that God poses an ominous threat to my ego, but not to me. He rescues me from my delusions, so he may reveal the truth that sets me free. He casts me down, only to lift me up again. He sits in judgment of my sin, but forgives me nevertheless. Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, but love from the Lord is its completion.
And, of course, the ultimate example of fear and perfect love working together is Jesus Christ. He warned us at every turn to fear God, not men—and he confirmed that in everything about his life and death. He spoke lovingly but frankly to all and didn't mince words when people needed to face their sin and repent. But he also demonstrated love beyond human understanding when he lived out his words, "There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends ( John 15:13 )." With love like that, what is left to fear but God? JoHannah Reardon is a former managing editor of ChristianBibleStudies.com. Find her numerous books at JoHannahReardon.com , including her book No More Fear , which ponders the attributes of God.

Too bad there is no place to go to get the single truth about God.   Trusting other human beings to deliver truth is unwise.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.3.11  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @13.3.9    4 years ago

Which Christian source (see @13.3.10) should one use for the truth?   When Christian sources contradict each other (often, by the way) how do you reasonably conclude that one Christian source is correct and the other is wrong?   Flip a coin?   Go with the one that you prefer?

The problem here is that this is all simply human opinion (and it applies to all religions, not just the category known as Christianity).   There is no foundation of fact (evidence) upon which to make a decision.   People thus are left believing the imaginations and interpretations of other mere human beings based on influences (e.g. the views of family, culture, location, …).   Not a path to truth, just a path to believing what others tell you is truth.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
13.3.12  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @13.3.10    4 years ago

There is no inconsistency between what you posted and what I did.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.3.13  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @13.3.12    4 years ago

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif