╌>

Breaking : All Major Auto Manufacturers Closing Down North American Operations

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  45 comments

Breaking : All Major Auto Manufacturers Closing Down North American Operations

Ford, Chrysler and GM are all announcing they are shutting down all North American and European manufacturing operations. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago

War footing yet? 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

Ford, GM & Tesla all said they would explore the possibility of manufacturing ventilators but that would be months away if feasible.

While GM is exploring the possibility, however, it is still very early in the process and not known how quickly or even whether production of medical equipment is feasible in the near future.  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Release The Kraken @1.1.1    4 years ago

Funny stuff, but fake news propagated in 11/2019 on Funns and spread by GomerBlog. It's a satire site.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago

BTW, the Dow Jones dipped below the number it was at the day Trump took office today. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @2    4 years ago

That would have been the case no matter who was president. I suppose it would have been possible to avoid, but you would have to strongly prioritize saving the stock market over saving lives. I'm pretty sure most of us don't want that.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Tacos! @2.1    4 years ago
That would have been the case no matter who was president.

How was the stock market during the H1N1 pandemic?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.1    4 years ago

How was the stock market during the H1N1 pandemic?

Let me help.

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Coronavirus?

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.1    4 years ago

These are different outbreaks and the entire world has responded in ways and degrees that are pretty much unprecedented. I don't think I should have to run down the long list of extreme measures that are being taken everywhere, and - apparently - with good reason. So, you really cannot compare the two situations.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.2    4 years ago

[ deleted ]

The 2009-10 flu pandemic or Swine Flu began March 17, 2009 in Mexico. A t that time, the U.S. was emerging from the 2008 financial crisis and stocks were significantly undervalued . Just over four months from its inception, clinical trials for the Swine Flu vaccine began.

And how many months has it been? 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.5  Ozzwald  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.3    4 years ago
So, you really cannot compare the two situations.

So 2 pandemics, H1N1 has more infected and more deaths, but less effect on the stock market.  But you can't compare the 2 because it shows how much more poorly Trump handled his?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.6  Ozzwald  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.4    4 years ago
And how many months has it been? 

So what are you saying?  When the stock market is recovering from a recession it is more stable and less susceptible to panic???  Really????

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.7  Tacos!  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.5    4 years ago

That's not why. The virus behaves in ways we haven't dealt with to this degree.

For example, I have seen reports on a couple different studied populations that show it is transmitted by people with no symptoms 48%-90% of the time. It can also live in the body anywhere from a few days to 2 weeks before symptoms appear.

So simply avoiding people with symptoms does no good. It could be anywhere. It was in this country for several days, apparently, and no one had a clue.

Additionally, medical workers are catching it even with good protective gear.

All of this makes this virus appear to be potentially more trouble than previous viruses we have seen. Thus, you see a much stronger reaction around the world than we did with swine flu, and it's not surprising that the stock market has responded negatively.

It also doesn't help that Russia and the Saudi Arabia are messing with the oil market.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.6    4 years ago
So what are you saying?  When the stock market is recovering from a recession it is more stable and less susceptible to panic???

Wasn't the point. Let me make it clearer for you. I pointed out the 4 months (how long has it been) after development when the first H1N1 trials began. It hasn't been a full three yet and trials are already underway for Corona. Point being, liberals and Democrats are acting like children in their "what's the administration doing" bullshit when indeed it shows we are ahead of the H1N1 "schedule" NOT just sitting on our hands doing nothing.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.9  Ozzwald  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.8    4 years ago
I pointed out the 4 months (how long has it been) after development when the first H1N1 trials began. It hasn't been a full three yet and trials are already underway for Corona.

Deflection, nothing to do with the stock market.  Did you forget what we were talking about?

Point being, liberals and Democrats are acting like children in their "what's the administration doing" bullshit when indeed it shows we are ahead of the H1N1 "schedule" NOT just sitting on our hands doing nothing.

You have forgotten what we are talking about. [deleted]

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.9    4 years ago

To finally answer a stupid fucking question, yes, the market went up during the Swine Flu. Already made clear a reason for a majority of that...........

.the U.S. was emerging from the 2008 financial crisis and stocks were significantly undervalued 

Never disputed that it went up. As for your............

When the stock market is recovering from a recession it is more stable and less susceptible to panic???  Really????

[deleted]

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.11  Ozzwald  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.10    4 years ago
[comment removed for context]

[deleted.]  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.13  Ozzwald  replied to  Release The Kraken @2.1.12    4 years ago
That's no way to treat a potential food source. A chihuahua when prepared properly can feed a family of four.

My wife has a chihuahua mix, they are nothing but skin, bones, teeth, and a grouchy attitude.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.14  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.13    4 years ago
they are nothing but skin, bones, teeth, and a grouchy attitude.

I rest my case...............

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif     jrSmiley_34_smiley_image.gif

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.15  Ozzwald  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.14    4 years ago
I rest my case...............

But at least THEY can stay on topic.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.17  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.15    4 years ago

[deleted]

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.18  Ozzwald  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.17    4 years ago

[deleted]

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.19  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.18    4 years ago

[deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    4 years ago

"Ford, Chrysler and GM are all announcing they are shutting down all North American and European manufacturing operations."

Support "Small Business" and Buy "USED". There's a "Surplus", and most are really good cars. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     4 years ago

Honda is closing its manufacturing plants in the US for 2 weeks.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — President Donald Trump on Wednesday moved to invoke a federal law that allows the government to marshal ...
th?id=AR_ba954413ef37a7e2e891fa90eac0eac2&pid=news&w=16&h=16&c=14&rs=2&qlt=90&dpr=1.12
WBAL 1m

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @5    4 years ago

I hope you aren't implying that Trump's EA prompted the closings........................that had already happened.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.1    4 years ago

I'm not implying anything. I only posted a link to verify the story. The OP didnt have a link. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    4 years ago

It'd be great if they could retool and build something we need - not jeeps, of course, but something like test kits or ventilators. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tacos! @6    4 years ago
It'd be great if they could retool and build something we need - not jeeps, of course, but something like test kits or ventilators.

Kind of hard to do with no one in the factories. They are closing down to avert further spreading of the virus halting all production. Unlike other times, this isn't due to a shortage of sales and a glut of vehicles. To continue to man the factories to do anything isn't in the cards unfortunately.

I agree with your opinion though. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.2  It Is ME  replied to  Tacos! @6    4 years ago

It's happened before ! But that was due to an Extreme need ! 

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     4 years ago

You have to know that once the auto plants close that the suppliers to those plans will close as well. Also the surrounding small business (diners etc) surrounding those plants will be out of luck as well.

Also, consider that the dealerships will be hit with the downturn as well.

It's a snowball rolling downhill gaining size and speed. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1  It Is ME  replied to  Kavika @7    4 years ago
You have to know that once the auto plants close that the suppliers to those plans will close as well. Also the surrounding small business (diners etc) surrounding those plants will be out of luck as well.

So, if the Auto Plants close down, the "Folks" won't go to their normal "Haunts" until the Auto Plant re-opens ?

Don't forget, the Government is now starting to close down those regular "Haunts". It's not caused by a "Plant" closing.

By the way....cars still need "Parts" that were already built, so the "Auto Parts Supplier thingy" will still roll on.

"Kneejerk" Reactions are causing most of the problems in this country.

Even Gov. Cuomo, in his usual No. 19 "Fireside Chat" today", told folks to STOP panicking !

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Kavika   replied to  It Is ME @7.1    4 years ago
So, if the Auto Plants close down, the "Folks" won't go to their normal "Haunts" until the Auto Plant re-opens ?

As stated it's the haunts surrounding the plants..

By the way....cars still need "Parts" that were already built, so the "Auto Parts Supplier thingy" will still roll on.

If the cars are already built there is no need for additional parts. If they are not being built there is no need for parts.

"Kneejerk" Reactions are causing most of the problems in this country.

Good to know. You may want to express your opinion to the CEO's and boards of directors of these corporations. I'm sure that they will be very interested. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  Kavika @7.1.1    4 years ago
As stated it's the haunts surrounding the plants..

Folks don't live near those "Plants" and "Haunts" at the same time ?

"If the cars are already built there is no need for additional parts."

Cars are ALWAYS "Fallible". They need repair from time to time, as has been the case since "Cars" were built.

"Good to know. You may want to express your opinion to the CEO's and boards of directors of these corporations. I'm sure that they will be very interested. "

Let's go "Simple"....shall we ?

116 or so folks have died from this No.19 Virus in this country..... right ?

Towns, Cities, Counties and States use (1) one household as having an average of 3.5 person in it.

Using the 116 or so dead to date in this country, approx. 33 houses are now empty in this country. If you want to get "Super Extreme", as the "Kneejerk" folks like to get, 116 Houses in this country have had (1) one person die in it.

116 Houses have had a death in it, out of Millions of homes.

Not very "Extreme" sounding to me. You ?

But....we're gonna shut everything down anyway. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Like Gov. Cuomo said today …… STOP PANICKING !

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.3  Kavika   replied to  It Is ME @7.1.2    4 years ago

I don't why you think that I'm panicking, I'm only stating that will happen with auto plant closing.

The experts on this and most of the corporations think that it's a serious problem. 

Let's go "Simple"....shall we ?

I'll listen to what the experts have to say and not your uninformed opinion.

Cheers

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
7.1.4  Sunshine  replied to  It Is ME @7.1.2    4 years ago
Not very "Extreme" sounding to me. You ?

They shut down for two weeks every summer.  A few weeks isn't a big deal.  Employees are still being paid.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Kavika @7.1.3    4 years ago
I don't why you think that I'm panicking, I'm only stating that will happen with auto plant closing.

Constant "Bad News" is "Panic Mode. What about the folks that have had it, and either don't show any symptoms, or are doing just fine after the fact ?

Where's that "Mega GOOD News" ?

"I'll listen to what the experts have to say and not your uninformed opinion."

The experts have already told us how many folks have died in this country to date. I just gave you a simple way to look at it.

Cheers !

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.6  Kavika   replied to  It Is ME @7.1.5    4 years ago

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  Kavika @7.1.6    4 years ago

It's sooooo CUTE ! 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
8  Dean Moriarty    4 years ago

The European auto manufacturers are doing the same over there. 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
9  Nerm_L    4 years ago

What is happening isn't too different than the aftermath of a nuclear war.  Or an asteroid strike.  The pandemic has transformed the consumer economy into a subsistence economy.  This isn't an economic downturn.

Supply-side monetary policy won't accomplish anything.  Stimulating consumption won't work because there's nothing to consume.  The pandemic has created a physical barrier that prevents consumption.  Trying to stimulate consumption won't overcome the physical barrier preventing consumption.

The focus needs to be on protecting the economy and preparing to restart the consumer economy when the pandemic diminishes and restrictions are lifted.  Allowing businesses to shed their workforce or go bankrupt will only create another physical barrier that will impede restarting the consumer economy.

The status quo doesn't have any way of dealing with the current situation because we are experiencing war time conditions and not an economic downturn.  This time really is different.  The old supply-side playbook has been thrown out the window.

Don't let the global rat bastards wreck the economy with idiotic hair-on-fire financial bullshit.  The global rat bastards pose the biggest threat that will prevent restarting the consumer economy.